Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
416
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
8
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,049

Last Words

Summary:

Fandom: Torchwood
Characters: Jack/Jack
Rating/Warnings: PG references to dying and injuries.
Summary: He seldom had time for good last words.

Work Text:

 


Last Words
by Lilithangel


Most of the times he died all he’d managed was a gasp or a scream. Blood bubbling up through your throat made words difficult and other times it was over too quickly anyway.

He always tried to be there for others when they died, just in case they wanted to say something, even if it was just goodbye.

That was when he realised that the last words that mattered were the ones that the dying heard. Words of love, encouragement, even regret so they knew they weren’t alone.

Rose had told him after he had nearly destroyed the world the first time, about how the Doctor had taken her back to the day her father died. How she had nearly destroyed the world too, but the Doctor had still let her be there so that he didn’t die alone.

When he thought about Jack trapped in a burning plane plummeting to earth with nobody there to give those last words it hurt as much as kissing his Captain goodbye knowing what was going to happen and he knew it would be too easy to do the same.

But he did have a radio and a Rift. It couldn’t hurt and maybe… just maybe it would help.

* * * * *

He hadn’t seen them coming but held them off long enough for his boys to break free. It had to be enough and he kept up a patter of whoops and cheers for their sake. When he felt the flames lick around his seat he switched his radio off to spare them nightmares of screams he had never escaped, and made his peace with the universe.

When his radio crackled to life he couldn’t reach out to stop it and then he didn’t want to.


“I don’t know if you will hear this Jack but I know what happens to you and I have to believe that somehow you will. You are my hero Jack. You risk your life every day and last night you risked your heart for one dance with a man you’d never met. You made me a stronger man and I could have fallen in love with you in the instant you took my hand. Thank you and I’m sorry.”

Jack closed his eyes and felt no more pain as James’ voice held him in the darkness.


Jack switched off the radio and sat back at his desk. Everyone deserved last words and he just hoped that somebody would be there to deliver his.

END