Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
3,178
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
920

Over

Summary:

Rating: G
Disclaimer: mine? nah!
Spoilers: obscura!
Summary: The three musketeers meet for the first time--lots of firsts for all of them!
Side Note: help me out with the title!

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:




Over
by sully
intrepid@ceilink.net



"Dad, I've got this under control. I walk into the school, go into the office, tell them my name, get classes...Go! Don't you have Christmas presents to buy me?" Chloe Sullivan said as her father rolled down the window and asked her if she was sure she didn't want him to walk her in.

"Ok, ok. I just can't believe my little girl is growing up! It seems like only yesterday your mom and I were holding your hands, walking you to kindergarten...now you're in 8th grade, and I can't even hold your hand in private, much less in public."

"Dad! I want the new Sony DVD Player, and it's really popular, so if you don't run out and get it now, I won't get one!" Chloe told her dad, a smile on her face.

Gabe Sullivan's grin mirrored the one on his daughter's face. "Got it, honey. Have a good day."

Chloe smiled and turned to face the building she would soon be forced to enter, herded along with the rest of the sheep that so boldly called themselves students.

"Hey new girl!" A boy's voice broke into Chloe's melodrama thoughts. Chloe turned to the front lawn of the school, see a black boy in a orange snow cap gathering up snow into a snowball.

"The name's Chloe!" She yelled back, eyeing the snowball warily. "I know you're not thinking about throwing that snowball at me."

"He dared me too! He thinks you're cute!" The boy retorted, pointing to the dark haired boy about a foot away from him. The dark haired boy blushed and shrugged, trying to avoid making eye contact with Chloe. Chloe picked up on this and smiled, then began walking towards the two boys.

"Bet you've never been hit with a Sullivan Torpedo, have you?" Chloe asked the black boy as she came to a stand still about a yard in front of him, putting her hands on her hips in challenging manner.

"Alright, I was just messing around! Go pick on him, he saw you first."

"True." I said, turning my gaze to the dark haired kid. "But you didn't threaten me with snowballs. Nice to know not everyone in Smallville is a bohemian. I'm Chloe Sullivan." Chloe said, sticking her hand out in the dark haired boy's direction. Chloe waited a few seconds, then withdrew her hand.

"What's the deal with you guys? Something in the Smallville water supply?"

"LuthorCorp leakage, probably. But I told you Clark thought you were pretty. He doesn't do well around pretty girls. Ask him about Lana Lang." The black boy said.

"Pete! I do not like Lana!" The dark haired boy, Clark, said, coming out of his daze.

"Nice to know there's someone under that mop of hair." Chloe grinned.

"I'm sorry Pete was so rude. It just comes naturally for him." Clark said, extending his hand this time. "And I'm Clark Kent. That's Pete Ross."

I shook his hand, then turned to look at Pete. "Who's Lana?"

"Her." Pete said, pointing and grinning as Clark immediately followed Pete's finger.

"Wait, you just compared me to pom pom brain over there? I don't feel like I'm getting a very good welcome to Smallvill here." Chloe said as she flicked her gaze over to Lana.

"Don't tell my mom that, she'll kill me. She's part of the local welcome wagon. I bet you anything you're coming to my farm tonight." Clark said, tearing his eyes from Lana, remembering his mom telling him about this new girl, and telling him to be nice.

"You have a farm?" Chloe said as the bell rang.

"Come on, we've got to get inside. Who's your homeroom teacher?" Pete said, steering Clark and Chloe towards the front doors.

"Don't know. I need to go to the office to get my classes."

"Alright, it's right there." Pete pointed across the hall once inside the building. "Ask for Ms. Archer, she does the schedules. We'll wait for you." Pete said, smiling.

"So you're not as primitive as I thought. Good to know. Be right back, boys." Chloe said as she strode confidently towards the office doors.

"That girl is a trip." Pete said, glancing at Clark.

"Yeah." Clark replied, then ribbed Pete. "What's the deal with telling her I think she's cute?"

"You do!" Pete said defensively.

"So do you!" Clark shot back.

"But I'm not the one who will have her up in my loft later tonight. I keep telling you man, that loft of yours...pure gold!" Pete grinned.

"You have a loft? Is that where you keep the chickens?" Chloe asked as she walked up to the boys, a slip of paper in her hand.

"Farms are the basis of Smallville, Chloe. You might want to think about adjusting. ASll of out homerooms are this way." Pete replied.

"Whatever. So what are you, Amish?" Chloe asked Clark as they followed Pete down the crowded hallway.

"What?"

"I mean, do you have working toilets, running water..."

"I know what you mean, but why are you asking?" Clark said, looking at Chloe quizzically.

"Well, the only people I know who have farms in the 21st century are Amish. So are you?"

"No..."

"Ok, enough with the farm talk. Chloe, here's your homeroom. Its Clark's too. Ms. Burns." Pete said, stopping in front of a classroom.

"I'm so glad you're here Pete, to tell me everything I already know." Chloe grinned, indicating the sign above the door. "Ok, guys, obviously you guys don't get a lot of big city snark around here! I don't mean anything by what I say! I jest! You guys will pick it up soon enough; you're learning form the best." Chloe said as she took in Pete and Clark's astonished and dumbfounded faces.

"Chloe, you are one of a kind, that's for sure." Clark replied.

"My mom would say God broke the mold when He made you." Pete offered.

"Hey, I'd rather be anything than normal. So, do you guys have like, bells that ring when we are supposed to be in class, right? Or is it a cow bell?"

"If you hadn't so adequately explained your sarcastic sense of humor earlier, I might have to take offense to that." Pete retorted, grinning in triumph.

"Pete's turning on the flirt-o-meter!" Clark cried out, laughing.

Pete ducked his head a second and then looked up. "Hey, don't knock flirting until you learn how to flirt."

"While I hate to break up this obvious boy bonding moment, class? First day? I don't want to get in trouble...yet, that is." Chloe said, breaking into the boy's conversation.

"Feisty," Pete said with a smile.

"And I can't believe you kept a straight face while delivering that line. Come on, Kent, I wanna get a seat next to you." Chloe said, ginning at Pete's shocked face, then she proceeded to open the door and enter the classroom, exuding confidence neither boy had been in the presence of for a long time.

"This is the beginning of one interesting friendship..." Pete said as he and Clark looked after Chloe. "Don't make a move on her ‘til lunch, so I can have a fair chance too." Pete grinned.

"Go to class, Pete."

*

"Quite the social butterflies, aren't they?" Chloe said to Clark and Pete as she sat down next to them at the lunch table.

"What?" Pete asked, both of them looking at Chloe strangely.

"Them," She said, nodding to a table full of loud, giggly girls and guys who Chloe thought were trying way to hard to be cool.

"What is it with you and you're anti-normal stance?" Pete asked.

"Who wants to be normal? More importantly, what is normal?! I don't like them," Chloe said, nodding towards the table again. "Because they poison poor minds like yours to think that jumping up and down with pom poms and running with dead pig in their arms is something everyone should do. It's the disease of our society.

"Right." Pete replied, turning to face Clark. "Please explain the way of life in Smallville to her tonight, ok?"

"Yeah, farm boy, please clue me into why everyone in this town seems clueless." Chloe shot back, looking at Pete.

Clark looked at Chloe, then looked at Pete, and started laughing.

"What?" Chloe asked, exasperated.

"Pete, if this is how you treat all the girls you like, we need to work on some stuff," Clark chuckled as his friend glared at him.

"At least I don't trip all over myself when I'm near the girl I like." Pete retorted.

"See? You guys are good friends, right?" Chloe interrupted.

"Yeah, and?" Pete replied.

"You could never even tell by the way you two act towards each other! You fight like brothers!" Chloe stated.

"Yeah, we get mistaken for brothers all the time." Clark said, rolling his eyes.

"It's what we do. We're guys. It's our thing." Pete replied.

"Ah! See? It's the disease! You only act like this because it's accepted..."

Clark and Pete sighed as Chloe popped the top off of her water, took a bite of her lunch, and still kept talking.

*

"So, where do you live?" Clark asked cordially as Chloe, Pete and himself walked through the crowded halls after the final bell.

"Does it matter? I'm sure everything in Smallville is within fifteen minutes of each other, am I right?" Chloe grinned.

"Clark, I hope you're not about to offer to walk her home," Pete whined.

"Alright, listen here, Petey boy," Chloe said, turning on him and stopping him in his tracks. "I'm so glad you can dish out what I give to you, but if you're going to talk like you have all day, don't give me any attitude about my comments, alright?"

"Uhm...alright." Pete replied, taken aback by Chloe for the gazillionth time that day.

"Now, Clark, even if you were going to offer me a ride home, I can't accept it. My dad is going to be here in a few minutes. What you can do is tell me where I can get the Daily Planet around here. I have to keep in touch with civilization." Chloe said, looking at Clark.

"Uhm, I think they get the Daily Planet at Fordman's store. I can show you were it is...but your dad..." Clark said, pointing to a man standing by his car, waving at Chloe frantically.

"That's Dad, alright." Chloe said, cringing as her dad called out. "Chloe, honey, come on! I want to hear all about your first day!"

"Coming Dad!" Chloe called back. "Come with me," Chloe said, grabbing Pete and Clark and tugging them towards the car. "Whatever I say, just smile, ok?" Chloe hissed as they stopped in front of the car.

"Dad, this is Clark and Pete. I met them today at school, and they want to show me around town, so I can I just meet you back at the house around six? I can even pick up dinner while I'm in town." Chloe said, talking a million miles a minute.

"It's nice to meet you two boys!" Gabe said, smiling at Pete and Clark. "Honey, it's fine if you go into town, but we're going to the Kent's for dinner...in fact, they mentioned they had a son named Clark." Gabe said, looking at Clark again. "Are you..." Chloe cut her dad off.

"Ok, Dad, I'm sure Clark knows what time he needs to be home, and I'll just follow him. Bye!" Chloe said, tugging Clark and Pete off in the opposite direction. Gabe smiled and shook his head, then got into the car and started the engine.

*

"Chloe? Chloe? CHLOE!" Pete yelled, causing Chloe to let go of his arm and turn to face both of the young boys, Pete panting and gasping for breath. "Your Dad drove away two miles back at school. Why are we still running?"

"Oh. Sorry. Sometimes my mouth starts going and my feet start moving, and I just can't stop. Catch your breath." Chloe grinned sheepishly.

"Mom wants me home by six, so we've got two hours. Where do you want to go first?" Clark asked as Pete's breathing returned to normal.

"This Fordman's Store, then to wherever you Smallvillians get a decent cup of coffee...which I'm not expecting to be decent by Metropolis standards, but I better start adjusting as soon as I can, right?" Chloe asked, directing her question to both of the boys. Chloe grinned as Clark managed a slight nod, then she tugged on Pete's shirt and they took off.

*

"So, how's the coffee?" Pete asked as Chloe lifted the mug with writing pronouncing it Beanery's property to her lips.

"Not as good as the Starbucks across the street from my apartment in Metropolis, but better then expected. Not as gross as that, right there." Chloe said, pointing in the direction of a group of kids taking up more than half the tables in the Beanery, all of them pushed together, and all of the kids making a lot of noise.

"Ahh, the after school-after practice-Neanderthals meeting. You get used to the noise." Clark snarled.

"Whoa, that's the most aggressive thing I've heard you say all day Kent! What's with the sudden attitude?" Chloe asked, glancing from Clark to the group to Pete, who grinned.

"Ms. Lang is often blinded by the glory of high school boys, huh, Clark?"

"Shove it, Pete." Clark said, his gaze fixed on the group.

"Clark! You look kinda like a freaky stalker man in those scary movies when he's watching the girl, you know, right before he goes in and kills her?" Chloe grinned, finally snapping Clark out of his thoughts.

"I'm not a stalker. Now, no more coffee for you..." Clark said, picking up her mug and draining the last of it.

"I can't believe you just touched my coffee." Chloe stated gravely.

"Wait until I tell you about his telescope!" Pete crowed, oblivious to Chloe.

"You just touched my coffee. You drank my coffee." Chloe replied.

"I did, and now you're repeating yourself. Come on, we've got to head home. Mom will kill me if I'm not home to properly meet your family."

"You touched my coffee!" Chloe screeched, jumping out of her chair, grinning.

"Pete, hope an hour is long enough for you to catch your breath...I think we need to run!" Clark grinned back. Pete nodded and both boys took off, Chloe trailing them closely.

*

"That was wonderful, Martha. Would you like Chloe and me to help you with the dishes?" Anne Sullivan asked as she handed her plate to Ms. Kent.

"Oh, no, thank you. Clark, why don't you go show Chloe around the farm?"

"Sure Mom...come on Chloe, I know you want to dive into the exotic world of farm life..."

"You know it!" Chloe grinned. "Thanks Ms. Kent, dinner was great!" Chloe called over her shoulder as she followed Clark towards the door.

"Thanks, Chloe!"

"Your family is really great, Clark."

"Thanks. If you don't mind my asking, where's your mom? I mean, you don't have to talk about it, if you don't want to..." Clark trailed off; mentally cursing himself for asking what could be such a sensitive question after he'd only known the girl for less than a day.

"It's ok, I'm surprised you were so bold and asked...come on, let's start at the farthest pasture out, I want to see it all...I'll tell you while we walk." Chloe replied.

"You're nuts...but go ahead, talk away." Clark said, falling in step with Chloe, steering her towards the farthest pasture, as she wished.

"And finally, one night, my parents called me into their room and told me what I already knew...they were getting a divorce. They really thought I hadn't noticed..." Chloe finished, chuckling lightly.

"Wow. That...that really sucks."

"Yeah, so that's part of the reason my Dad moved me out here. I think he wanted to get me away from my mom's high maintenance influence, or something. So, what's in the barn? I've never been in a barn!" Chloe said, causing Clark's forehead to crease in confusion at the sudden change in topics.

"Have you ever...choked on your words or something? You talk so fast!" Clark asked, grinning.

"My philosophy is I have a lot of questions, and not a lot of time to get answers, so why waste time being tactful or discreet? Now, shoe me the barn! I want the whole experience."

"Sure, Chloe, sure. Just remember, us farm boys don't think faster than a speeding bullet or anything." Clark said, throwing open the door to the barn.

"Wow, you must have muscles of steel...that door looks heavier than all of Smallville's pom pom brigade combined."

"I work on a farm, remember? Anyways, this is your typical barn," Clark started, steering Chloe toward a large red tractor. "Tractor, there's some hay, and a work bench to your left..." Clark said, pointing and smiling as Chloe turned, taking everything in slowly.

"What's up there?" Chloe asked, pointing up the stairs.

"Uhm, that's my loft. My dad built it for me. He calls it my fortress of solitude."

"So, I'm taking that a trip up there is out of the question?" Chloe asked, her bluntness not surprising Clark this time around.

"I guess its fine...lemme go up there first though? I don't think I've ever had a girl up in the loft before..." Clark said, already starting up the stairs.

"What, you think I'm gonna spread cooties or something?" Chloe called up as Clark scanned the loft quickly, already hearing Chloe climbing up the steps.

"Hey, this is pretty nice!" Chloe grinned as she bounced over to the couch and sank into the seat.

"I think so too." Clark said, grinning back at her as he sat next to her.

"So, what stars are out tonight?" Chloe asked, looking at Clark, who was still looking at her.

"Uhm, I'm not sure...I can go, uhm, I think I can find it over here..." Clark stumbled over his words, standing and trying to remember which star chart he wanted to look at.

"Clark?" Chloe asked, standing and putting an arm on his shoulder, causing him to stop and turn.

"Yeah?" Clark said, looking down at her and smiling.

"Come...here!" Chloe muttered as she grabbed his shoulders and hoisted herself up so she could kiss him squarely on the lips.

Chloe pulled back and let go of Clark's arms, laughing at the look on his face.

"Why...did you just kiss me?" Clark asked, staring at Chloe, awestruck.

"I know you've been thinking about it all day, so I figured I'd get it over with and we could be friends." Chloe shrugged, making her way past Clark and over to his telescope.

"Hey, did you know you can see in your neighbor's window with this thing?!" Chloe asked, causing Clark's eyes to go even wider.

"Lana's house? Really?"


end

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author sully vann.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.