Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
3,449
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
1,136

Timeless

Summary:

Our Jack and the Real Captain Jack Harkness

Work Text:

Based upon TORCHWOOD, the CAPTAIN JACK HARKNESS episode. No copyright infringement intended and produced without profit to myself or others. Jack/James. LANGUAGE.

TIMELESS by Natasha Barry

He noticed the couple as soon as his gaze took in the room: The Asian beauty had been standing alongside the true stunner, the man in captain’s coat, before one of his own men – George – claimed her for a dance. Seeing the stunning man standing alone, Jack was looking to free himself from the entanglements of his men - a conversational lot, to be sure – and go over and engage the intriguing newcomer in conversation, so he was almost grateful when George committed the lack of discretion, when he struck out at the captain’s handsome face, clipping the jaw. Well, the commotion was enough impetus to have Jack stepping in, to put a stop to the perceived fight for the Asian woman’s attentions. She did appear to have accompanied the captain, though she hadn’t been dancing with him yet, to be sure. But if they were a couple, that was an unfortunate development for Jack, but if he’d learned anything from his own example, it was to not take anything for granted.

"I think it was your fist in his face he didn't like, not your foxtrot." At least his own firm approach was getting the young man back in line. Honestly, he didn’t know what had got over George, who hadn’t had that much to drink, and was an idiot for striking a superior officer anyway.

The Asian beauty seemed a deer caught in the headlights, poor thing.

Wondering briefly if the Asian was the wife of the captain, Jack quickly reckoned how many married man had he himself been with over the years, anyway? How many men had escaped their wives for a shared night of passion with him, or even a few days, in the case of a few of them desperately drawn to Jack to the point of imprudence: He’d been assured, more than a few times, as to his own Hollywood-movie-star factor, and was a pretty good judge of when men – in uniform or not – were sneaking appreciative glances his way.

At least the skin hadn’t broken on the strong jaw George clipped. Though playing doctor could be fun, Jack had the feeling it would be the Asian woman who’d assume the task, leaving him out in the cold on this wet Cardiff night. Hell, he was a Midwesterner, even the dry nights in Cardiff were damp. But the British Isles proved a sure way of escaping the dullness of life back home, and no one could begrudge him not marrying the high school sweetheart under these circumstances.

"You barely got me," came the surprising response from the captain, initiating a few chuckles all-round, but also proving quite the ice-breaker. Jack figured he wouldn’t have to keep an eye out for Georgie the rest of the night, now the younger man had got the attention he craved.

This captain had a solid voice too, with determination, masculinity and charm all wrapped up in it. To Jack, the captain was proving better and better and therefore more irresistible by the moment.

Still, there was the matter of the man behind him now mutely slipping away. Smoothly, Jack signaled one of his men to entertain George, and then turned to intercept that handsome captain with the too-blue eyes and dreamboat exterior.

Allowed to be face-to-face, and for a moment caught in the flash of a camera, Jack reflected on the kissable lips framing a too-dazzling smile. The man was too everything, Jack thought, wondering if somehow angels had dropped him from the sky. But military discipline and single-minded purpose served him well, as the captain seemed intent on escaping him, "But I didn't catch your names."

So it was Captain James Harper, of the 71st. How coincidental could it be this was the division he wanted most part of? And how similar the name to his own, when he thought about it: A quick glimpse of a monogrammed towel set flitting across his mind.

The woman’s last name was Sato, so she wasn’t married to the captain. Overlooking her presence, Jack sought to enwrap James Harper in conversation by the offer of a drink, but was circumvented by the "Maybe later," which came from that gorgeous mouth. Hoping he’d disguised his annoyance at the rejection, Jack moved off, determined to put the handsome captain out of his mind.

The way things were going, he assured himself, it was probable the captain and the Toshiko woman were lovers… and… well….. Good luck to her, for she had the prize, cause Harper had his pick and he'd obviously chosen her.

For Jack Harkness, though, he hadn’t been able to bring himself to the point of marriage, to going that far, even to ensuring the advancement of his career. After this war was over though, he faced that decision of remaining in the military as a career or returning home to find something more prosaic. So far he’d achieved - through exquisite timing - the convenience of having a cause worth fighting for, one that promised him a leave from his own country and family’s expectations.

In years to come, if he found someone he could at least go through the motions with, he’d saddle himself with a wife and children, putting up the front so many men deemed essential. For an ambitious military man, it was essential, after all. The Eagle Squadron – the predominantly American-volunteer group fighting on behalf of the British – was his temporary hiding place, but at least he could serve God and Country as he sorted through the muddle of his own life, and how his ambitions might conflict with his desires.

He was in a circle with a few of his men, when he realized the arrival of Captain Harper and his woman. And the man must have some courage to have a Japanese for a girlfriend during this time of hostility of Great Britain and the United States for Japan. This was a literal powder keg, not because Great Britain cared about what happened in the Pacific, except where Australia was concerned, but because the United States was protecting its own interests and the people of China, threatened by the advancing armies of Japan, and Japan had its European-alliance in place with Germany.

It was a relief when Toshiko moved off, and he could put a hand onto that broad shoulder and assure that handsome face, "I'm glad you came," as he ushered his expanded group to a table in the corner. James Harper. He looked like a movie star, had the name of a movie star, certainly sounded like a movie star. Jack wondered if he came like a movie star, or at least how his little boy imaginings had it.

As George flattered both captains in his midst, Jack was interested in every careful utterance out of Harper's mouth, and being surrepticious in his appreciation of that feature. Though he was embarrassed when his own heroism was brought up for example. He had a sudden gut reaction this Captain Harper had him beat in the heroism department, and not only because Harper had the nerve to be escorting a Japanese girl.

He wanted to further his acquaintance of this captain, this movie-star perfection which had dropped into his life so unexpectedly. Even if the man weren’t interested in a casual fuck or romance, that wouldn’t mean time spent with him would be a total loss. There were experiences to share, moments to bask in the man’s presence. Such handsomeness was made for fantasy material, and jacking off was a time-honored pastime for a young man, especially when as a young boy he’d watch the leading stars in films and go home afterwards. He’d been a youngster in a state of excitement, even when he was too young to know what it was in himself that caused that yearning, that pit in his stomach, but eventually he worked it out, eventually he knew – that unlike most of his friends – he didn’t care if the leading lady appeared in a slip or a negligee, that was all nothing, all he waited on was for the actor to strip off his shirt; there always seemed to be a reason for that.

Captain James Harper, it came to be, a man as dashing as Errol Flynn, only perhaps doing Errol one better. For sure, Jack had seen a lot of fit and attractive men in his time, both as a civilian and since joining up, but most of those men didn’t frequent the clubs he catered to, the ones that lined the bases and huddled in the cities he visited, the clubs where the music was moody and the women danced with women while the men embraced men, except when the cops came, the raid was on, and everyone switched partners. He’d always switched partners in time, cradling a nurse he knew into a passionate kiss – the lesbians seemed to be attracted to military life, as were the less flamboyant of the homosexual men he knew – or they’d manage to escape out a side entrance. A few times the presumed "straights" were rounded up as well as the homos, just to be on the "safe" side, but with nothing to hold them on, "straights" such as himself pled forgiveness for having been slumming, and they'd walk away. It was a practised art at survival. Life could be Hell for ones such as he, but at least it was a Hell he’d learned to navigate, and sometimes not always alone.

The somber memories had him seeking a distraction, "Care for a drink, Captain?" and the pronouncement of water came as a surprise: The man Harper was nothing if not full of surprises. On his part, he planned to nurse a drink - or two - all night.

Lingering temptation was a subtle form of torture, but he'd rather have Harper by his side than have the man disappear on him.

Hence, the latest victim of his half-life, Nancy: The blonde beauty who appeared by his side was the envy of his men, seemingly a fit for their dashing captain. Though he’d escorted her to films and a few lunches, for the most part he'd kept her at a distance, so she wouldn't get her hopes up, as so many had before, the unfortunate victims in his wake. Unfortunately, he hadn't found a lesbian amongst the women he knew, so that convenient coupling wasn't available to him, and in the meantime Nancy had made her eagerness known. So in an effort to halt her fantasies of him, he’d not invited Nancy to the farewell dance, even advised against her coming anyway, lest she be bored at his attentiveness to his men on their last night. But he needed this distance for himself, before he felt drawn into a formalization of their relationship, something she wanted or had come to expect, something he dreaded and so he eagerly anticipated his leave-taking tomorrow. Or at least he craved his convenient departure until Captain Harper showed up.

Nancy was to his side, as it was Marge came to challenge the presence of Yoshiko, and Jack admired how Harper came to her defense and was pleased to add his own voice to his, with the expectation – since he was the known one here – that his granting approval meant no more attacks upon Toshiko – and therefore Captain Harper – would be made.

So he proposed a toast – "To Toshiko!" – and made to stare into Harper’s eyes, but the captain was granting approval to his lady friend while Jack was ignored. But faint heart never won fair gentleman, and Jack wasn't about to give up that easily.

Came his instinctive protest when Harper was making to follow his girlfriend. "You can't run out on me, I just got you a drink." Less than subtle. Or is that what he said? A part of himself realized he’d been indiscreet, that less casual observers would have caught the fact he’d forestalled the captain as any man would the departure of an enticing female.

But whatever it was he said, it worked, as Toshiko let her escort off the hook, and a shared grin was to be had when he proposed a toast to the other man. "To a fellow captain!"

He really had to approach this seduction like a military campaign, which meant keeping his head.

The man’s affect upon him was striking, and fast turning painful. If the attraction wasn't mutually acted upon, he'd be seeking the relief offered by his right hand later, while tossing and turning in his bunk.

But he'd forgotten Nancy, and it was Harper who acknowledged her first. Damn the woman for refusing to take a hint! She was certainly as determined in her pursuit of him as any woman before. As determined as he was in pursuing Captain Harper.

It was his fellow captain who held all his attention and he wasn't invested in pretending otherwise. And as he continued his broken conversation with Harper, eventually she got the message: He wished he could say he was sorry, but really, she hadn't been his date, hadn't even been invited. So he tried to be glib as she fought back the tears, but really these moments were awkward, and he'd relived this experience too many times before.

Believe it or not, it was Harper who attacked him for his attitude: "Play it cool in front of your men, but not in front of me," which prompted the strangest yet most intimate conversation he'd ever had. It seemed Harper's wartime experiences far exceeded his own, a confirmation of his earlier gut instinct.

"It's okay to be scared," was Harper's final salvo.

"Yes, of course I'm scared," came his admission, as the dropping bombs and the claxon sounding had him seeking out Harper's company in the tight room full of people, where they'd gone to seek shelter. Amazing how he and Harper shared the ability to be alone amongst any group.

But here, they couldn't share anything other than polite conversation. So Jack bided his time, wondering at the character of this man who'd come into his life so suddenly, and who suddenly meant so much more than the prospect of a handsome man who may share his inclinations. He had the feeling he could share anything with Harper, all his hopes and fears, and the man would understand him, something in his life he'd never thought to find.

If he made a pass at the captain, would Harper strike him down, report him, or laugh at him? Or would he return the interest, suggesting a safe place of haven, where the two could be alone?

There was a man in town, a Welshman, he had been seeing, but strictly on a physical basis, for mutual gratification. They couldn't be said to be friends, let alone lovers. Jack wasn't even set to be seeing him later, he'd made no plans, so unlike what he told Nancy, it's not like he was imprisoned at the social club for the duration. And the other men were capable of keeping an eye on hothead George, though he had George to thank for serving him the unconventional introduction to James Harper.

As the air raid lifted, he dismissed the eager George from his side, and he and Harper adjourned to the balcony to take in the show, allowing themselves the solitude each man seemed to desire.

But he needed to learn the other man's motives in being with him, as it was obvious Jack wasn't something casual to him, nor should it be merely two captains together. They were clicking in a way uncommon for strangers, even though he hadn't gotten a clear signal from the other man as to whether or not he shared in this attraction. So therefore he pressed, "What are you trying to say?" hoping the other man would come out with a clear statement, a declaration, such as "That you and I are the same kind." Instead, Harper's response of "Go to her," wasn't what he wanted to hear. He imagined he visibly deflated as his hopes were dashed. It was all about Harper pushing Nancy onto him. A man wanting him wouldn't be pushing this other relationship, would he?

"And is Toshiko your woman?" he shot back, afraid of the answer, until he heard it, but that negation caused only further confusion. So the man had no one, but that still left him clueless. He needed time to get his head together, he needed distance from those so-blue eyes and classic features and that fantastic mouth that just made him want to consume.

He sought solace in a quiet room of the building, and several minutes later he realized something, that he hadn't been bold enough with Harper, that Harper had seen him with a woman, didn't realize his reluctance for what it was, assumed all his apologies for his neglect of her were to be taken at face value.

This wasn't a queer club, his men were on the premises, Captain Harper was a stranger to him.... But he had to take that chance. If not he had the feeling he'd never see the man again; that opportunity lost to him forever.

He found Harkness seeking privacy as well. And it seemed, with few words, Jack made his intentions clear: Of course a man such as this would have had offers; it was how receptive he'd be to them that caused Jack's dread.

"I may have to leave before the night is over," came the disheartening news, but on the other hand, Jack himself was departing Cardiff in the morning, but with enough mutual incentive, he and Captain Harper would be keeping tabs on each other and find each other again: He was trying for the 71st after all, and wouldn't it be something if the two American captains ended up partnered on some mission.

He linked hands with Harper, awestruck when the slight embrace was returned with equal fervor. But it was a stupid location to seek intimacy, and they were kicked out by a randy couple, the woman's knowing gaze encapsulating the two officers. Would she confide something to her boyfriend? Would he spread the word to his own men?

He ran out on Harper, the only time in his life he betrayed true cowardice, or let cowardice rule his life, unless it was in leaving home to assist overseas, praying new pastures would lessen his own internal burden.

But there was only one place for loners to go, and he saw Harper with his woman - whatever she was to him - across the balcony as they all pretended a socialness he doubted any of them were feeling.

He saw beneath James' beauty now, to a loyalty and courage he could only aspire to. He tried to be cold to the man and their mutual attraction, but in fact this was the man of his dreams, the perfection he'd shunned due to his cowardice. What if he ran out of time? Ironically, the very thing James had been warning him about.

But he allowed himself to be led downstairs, falling into a wall as he let the music pour over him while his men stayed near, including the persistent George, who seldom let him out of his sight.

But as if inexorably drawn, he saw James' confiding to Toshiko, the empathy between them, and it was when he saw them link hands, it struck him as something untenable. Whether Toshiko was James' own "Nancy," it didn't matter. As if by rote, he walked over to James, lifted the man's hand, and led him onto the dance floor, somehow knowing within himself James wouldn't object to this public display.

He tuned out all the other dancers, if there were any, as he focussed completely on this lovely man in his arms, the relief there was in giving way to temptation, and finally he pulled back so they could kiss. But then there was Toshiko's siren call, calling James to duty, and James was pulling away, albeit reluctantly, but then James came back, and it was heaven for him, and Jack knew whatever happened in the future, James was there with him, that somehow they'd always be together, linked in time to the same past, present and future.

 

THE END