Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
684
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,199

Hysteria

Summary:

answer to 1 word challenge, using "hysteria" -- How would Binghamton react if he caught McHale/Carpenter

Work Text:

Binghamton was absolutely shaking with hysterical rage. The office seemed barely large enough to hold him. He strode back and forth, up and down the small space, glaring every now and then at the two men standing at attention in front of the map.

He stopped in front of Carpenter. He clenched his hands into tight fists at his sides. “How could you, Carpenter?” he ground out.

Carpenter swallowed. “But…but…but, Sir--”

Binghamton’s eyes grew wide and he took a deep breath to yell at Carpenter. “Don’t you dare but Sir me.”

“Captain, I can explain,” McHale tried.

Binghamton stamped his feet and turned his murderous glare on McHale. He jabbed his finger into McHale’s chest. “I always knew you were bad, but I didn’t think you’d be able to corrupt this poor boy. Have you no shame?”

“Sir, we--”

“I don’t want to hear it!” Binghamton barked. “You can save it for the court martial.”

Suddenly, Admiral Rogers strode in. He took in Binghamton’s red faced appearance. If he didn’t know any better, he would have said that Binghamton was foaming at the mouth. “What’s all this shouting about?”

McHale sighed in relief. “Admiral--”

“Belay that!” Binghamton snarled at McHale. “I won’t have you talking your way out of this.” He waved his arms in agitation at Rogers. “Just because this old fool always believes every word you say--”

Rogers straightened up to his full height and his command voice boomed through the room. “Captain!”

Binghamton jumped two feet in the air. He stuck his chin out at the Admiral like a petulant child. “I know what I saw.”

Rogers just glared at Binghamton. “You’re raving, man. Get a hold of yourself!”

Binghamton licked his lips and his words came out in a jumbled rush. He nodded to McHale and Carpenter. “I saw them, Admiral. I saw them. They were doing it.”

“Doing what?” Rogers asked in exasperation.

Binghamton gestured wildly. “They were…they were…”

Rogers turned his attention to McHale. “What is he talking about?”

Binghamton threw himself in front of McHale and clutched at the front of Rogers’ uniform. “No! Don’t listen to him. Don’t let him speak. He won’t weasel out of this one.”

Rogers slapped Binghamton’s hands away. “Stop this disgraceful behavior at once!”

“But they were…” Binghamton’s voice trailed off. He thrust his hips and pumped his arms at his sides. “You know!”

Rogers looked at Binghamton as if he’d said that FDR was in bed with Hitler. “Binghamton, stop that this instant! Is this a naval base or an insane asylum?”

Binghamton stopped suddenly and almost fell down. McHale caught him and he jerked away. “Get your hands off me!” He turned back to Rogers. “Admiral, you have to believe me,” he wailed. Spittle flew from his mouth. He wiped his chin. “I never would have thought it of Carpenter, but it’s true.”

Rogers pushed Binghamton down into a chair and towered over him. “Are there any other witnesses to back up your claim?”

“Well…well…well,” Binghamton stuttered.

Rogers grunted. “It’s a yes or no question.”

Binghamton’s shoulders slumped. “No. I did see it.” His voice wobbled. “I’m almost positive.”

“All right, Captain. I’ll take care of this.”

Binghamton sighed heavily. “It’s gonna happen again.”

Rogers folded his arms across his chest. “What’s going to happen again?”

Binghamton looked at the ceiling. He seemed to forget that he was speaking with the Admiral. “Why me? Why is it always me? Why aren’t you ever on my side?”

McHale stepped closer to Rogers. He lowered his voice. “I think the strain’s finally been too much for him, Sir.”

“He hasn’t been himself lately,” Carpenter added.

Rogers nodded, blew out a long breath, and put a hand on Binghamton’s shoulder. “It’s all right, Wally,” he said soothingly. “We’ll send you somewhere so you can get a bit of rest. Then you’ll be good as new.”

Binghamton glared at McHale and Carpenter. “What about them?”

Rogers waved McHale and Carpenter out. “Don’t worry. I’ll take care of them,” he told Binghamton. “You just stay here and sit quietly” He followed and pulled the door closed. “He’s so high-strung. I can’t say that I’m surprised.” He looked pointedly at them and his voice was a low rumble, barely loud enough for them to hear. “Next time, be more discreet.”