Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 2 of The Giles Saga
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
11,198
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,453

Bumps and Bruises

Summary:

DISTRIBUTION: Sure, just tell me!
DISCLAIMER: Everything except what comes out of my pretty little head belongs to Joss and Mutant Enemy. I do not own any of the places mentioned in Beaufort, a town which does exist and is in South Carolina. To see what it looks like, rent either Prince of Tides or The Big Chill.
RATING: PG-13
SPOILERS: None, unless I miraculously get hired to write for the show.
FEEDBACK: Wanted. Needed. SEND IT!
AUTHOR'S NOTES: This is the second story in a series. This is a story that focuses more on Gaby.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

 

 

 

The Giles Saga - Bumps and Bruises
by Ragna (Obsessive-Compulsive Spike)


The morning sun was rather bright in her eyes. Slowly waking up, Gabriella Giles walked over to her window. The forest outside her home in Burton was beautiful, as usual, with the sun peeking through the oak and palmetto leaves.
Her room, however, was it's typical mess. Posters of her favorite actors and bands adorned the ceiling and walls. Pictures of her friends were put up all over her three mirros. Her blue and yellow pom-poms were set up next to her varsity cheerleading uniform.

Today was the big game. Her high school, Battery Creek High School, was playing their crosstown rival, Beaufort High School. Tonight, Gaby would cheer for the first half and then walk out onto the field as a Homecoming Queen nominee. Lucky her! She was the only junior nominated. Her friend Mike helped get her nominated, and for that, she was grateful. Her formal dress was in a bag, ready to be taken to the game.

Life is so simple, she thought, until she heard the screaming. Her mother and her boyfriend were at it again. She went to her jewelry chest and pulled out the necklace her half-sister Alexandra had sent for Christmas from London. It was silver, and very delicate, with a heart locket charm. Inside was a picture of her and a picture of Alex. Gaby always wore the necklace, even though she'd only met her sister a few times.

(I mean, I'm not even her real sister. I'm the illegitamate one) But Alex and their uncle, Rupert Giles, didn't care. They sure as hell loved her more than her own mother. Her father had been buried in Sunnydale next to his wife, Alex's mom. Not that she minded, but...oh well.

Gaby put on her cheerleading outfit and went downstairs, avoiding the kitchen. Grabbing her bookbag and car keys, she scrambled out of the house to her car, a nice looking Thunderbird. That was also a gift from Alex, for Gaby's 16th birthday. She smiled at the thought. It had been one of the few times Gaby had seen her sister, and the only time in Beaufort. She had showed her around and introduced her to everybody she knew. Alex was happy, but had to go back to London too soon. (I should have asked to go with her.)

She went to the trunk and lifted up the false bottom, just to see if everything she needed was there. Tire iron, crossbow, bolts, Holy Water. It's all there. Now if only her Watcher would show up at the game on time, Gaby could relax a bit.

She popped into the driver's seat and went to pick up her friend BJ. The drama girl and Gaby were good friends. She popped in her Savage Garden CD and forwarded it to her favorite song. Driving down the streets of Burton, she sang along and relaxed. Today will be a good day.


***
"Today is gonna be a bad day," Joe said as everyone milled around in the huge student parking lot. They were huddled in the area between Gaby's Thunderbird, Mike's Jeep Cherokee, Renee's Honda Civic and Joe's BMW. The campus security guards were giving them dirty looks.

"Why?" Gaby asked, chowing on an apple and some donoughts she'd gotten on the way to school.

"Miss Pelth is giving a major quiz today, and I didn't study at all!"

"What subject?"

"Macbeth."

"What part?"

"Supernatural occurences."

"Easy. The major ones were the ghostly dagger, the three witches, Banquo's ghost and the blood on Lady Macbeth's hands. The dagger symbolized--Are you writing this down, Joe?" He nodded.

"Okay, the dagger symbolizes Macbeth's indecision on killing Duncan. It leads the way, which is symbolizing what his wife thinks is best. The witches symbolize Macbeth's greed for power and the future events. Banquo's ghost and the blood both symbolize guilt over the murders. That sound about right?"

"How the hell'd you get so smart?" Mike asked.

Gaby smiled. "Easy. Look who I'm related to on my father's side. My half-sister is a genius who owns a multi-million dollar computer business, and my uncle attended Oxford for a time and was a curator at a museum in England."

"Are either of them coming tonight?" Gaby's friend John said as he walked over and gave her a hug. "Good luck tonight, by the way."

"Thanks. Uncle Rupert can't come. His ogre of a boss won't give him time off. I haven't heard from Alex in about a week, so I don't know if she even knows it's tonight."

The bell rang, and they scattered to their various classes. The school day proceded quickly for her, and soon she was at cheerleader practice. As she came out of the gym durinf her break, she saw Daniel, her boyfriend. "Hey!" She went up to him and hugged him. Gaby saw her friends walking around the corner.

"Come on!" Daniel said, roughly grabbing her arm. Gaby stopped.

"I'm still in practice."

"No, you're not. You're coming with me."

She wriggled out of his grasp. "No, I'm not. Stop bossing me around."

Without warning, Daniel turned around and punched her face. Joe and Mike dropped their cross-country stuff and sprinted over to Gaby. Joe pulled Daniel off of Gaby while Mike helped her up off the ground. Her lip was cut and her eye was beginning to bruise.

A security guard who had seen the entire thing came up to them, as well as the campus police officer. "Gaby, are you okay?" Officer Hunt said.

She shook her head. "My face hurts."

He looked over at Mike. "Take her to the nurse's office. I'll be there in a minute." Officer Hunt then turned and looked at Daniel. "You, come with me." The two headed to the principal's office. Joe caught up with Mike and Gaby.

"He did it again."

Gaby nodded. "That's it though. Can you guys...help me file for a restraining order against him? I can't take it from him anymore."

Mike smiled. "You just got wiser. Yeah, I'll help. Here comes Officer Hunt."

Officer Hunt was a man in his mid-forties, with a bald head and a big smile. He was like Gaby's dad, and he was very protective of her. "Do you want to charge him with anything?"

"Yeah. Whatever I can, plus a restraining order. I'm tired of being his punching bag." By then, they'd arrived at the nurse's office.

"My goodness!" she exclaimed. "What happened."

"An abusive boyfriend," Joe said.

The nurse shook her head. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be," Gaby said. She finally got a look at her face. "Do you think I'll look better by half-time?" she asked seriously.

Everyone laughed. "You'll be fine," Officer Hunt said, and then he whispered in her ear, "Hopefully, no vampires will show tonight."

She smiled at her Watcher. "I needed to hear that!"


***
Gaby drove home soon afterwards. Hopefully, her mother's prejudiced, bigoted and unintelligent boyfriend would be out of the house. She pulled up and saw his car was gone. Opening the door, she found the house was empty. Except for the cleaning lady.

"Hi, Sarah!" she said, sitting next to her.

"Hello, child." Sarah looked tired, her black skin ashy and wrinkled.

"Are you okay?"

"No, child. My boss just fired me."

"What!?!"

"Yes. Your mother's boyfriend said he didn't want no colored woman cleaning his house."

"The bigoted prick! Well, I'm going to miss you. And here," she said, handing Sarah a ticket, "Come to the game tonight. I want one person who loves me there."

"Oh, that reminds me. An Alex called and left a message. She said that she's in Savannah right now and will be at the school in an hour."

Gaby's eyes widened. "She did?"

Sarah smiled. "Yes, after I told her about it when she called a week ago, she decided to come."

Gaby hugged Sarah, hard. "I love you. Thank you!" Tears were spilling down Gaby's eyes.

When she pulled back, Sarah took a good look at her face. "My Lord, child! What happened?"

"Daniel hit me."

"I don't think you should let Alex near him. Or the four guests she's bringing. Oops, I forgot to mention that."

Gaby looked at her quizically. "Who are they?"

"I don't know. She just said she was bringing four guests." She got up. "I have to go, but I will come to the game. You're going to look beatiful, I just know it." With that Sarah left the house. Gaby ran over to the answering machine and hit 'play.'

"Hey, Gaby! I can make it to the game after all! Anyways, I'm bringing four guests. Tell Officer Hunt I said hello! And I have a suprise." Gaby was so happy that she didn't hear the door slam shut.

"Get back here!" A grotesque and slurred voice yelled at her. It was Adam, her mother's boyfriend.

"I have to get my dress."

"You're not going."

"WHAT!" Gaby yelled. "Who said?"

"Me. I hate you so much, but your mother wants to go. So I'm saying you can't. Go to your room." The alcohol was affecting his thought.

"And if I go anyways?"

He walked up and puched her in the stomach. She doubled over in agony. He then took a sharp edged decoration and pressed it on her stomach, leaving a mark. "Don't ever come back." He turned around and walked into the kitchen to look for more beer.

Crying and clutching her stomach, Gaby went upstairs to her room. She looked out her wndow and realized Adam had left the ladder by her window. She started packing up her belongings in her many suitcases. Then, quietly, she went up on the roof of her house and moved the ladder over toward her window.

She took each suitcase down the ladder, and threw them into the back of her car. She would head over to her Watcher's. Since he was also a police officer, he might be able to do something on a legal level. Lastly, she crept back into her room, which looked rather empty. She'd been packing for two hours. She grabbed her dress, heels and jewelry chest, and climbed out the window for the last time.


***
Gaby was escorted to the game by Officer Hunt. "I wonder where Alex is?"

"You mean Alexandra Giles?"

"Yeah, who else?"

"Well, she...never mind. There she is." Officer Hunt knew what the suprises were, and he walked over to Alex with Gaby. She was surrounded by a group of teenagers and an older man.

"Uncle Rupert!" Gaby exclaimed, running towards her uncle and hugging him. He seemed genuinely happy to see her. When he pulled back, though, he frowned.

"Those are recent, aren't they?"

She nodded, then lifted up her top a bit so he could see the bruise and cut on her stomach. "That's from my mom's boyfriend, and the facial marks are from my ex-boyfriend." She looked towards Alex and the four teenagers. "Hi Alex," she said, hugging her sister.

"Hey sis. Here's one of my suprises." She pulled out a velvet box. "This was our grandmother's. I thought you should have it. I'd never be able to wear it."

Gaby opened the box, and inside was an exquisite diamond choker. "Wow," Gaby breathed. She looked at the other teenagers. "Hi!"

The two girls and two guys said hello. "Oh, I'm stupid!" Alex said, hitting herself on the forehead. "This is Buffy Summers, Xander Harris, Oz and Willow Rosenburg," she said, pointing to each one.

"Just out of curiosity, why is your football team having their Homecoming after Christmas break?" Xander asked.

Gaby smiled. "The state messed up the entire schedule for every football team, so we started the season two months late." She looked at Alex. "What else?"

"Greedy, aren't we!" She pulled her hands out from behind her back, but they were empty. "Nothing else. At least, that you can hold. I have good news. The Watcher's Council let me move to Sunnydale. I arrived two weeks ago."

Gaby smiled. "You heard I'm going to Crestwood, right?"

Alex nodded. "I want to spend more time with you. That, and I'm in Sunnydale for Watcher business."

A woman leaned over the short chain-link fence. "Gabriella!"

She looked at her family and their friends. "Thanks. I have to go. I'll talk in a bit." She ran off to talk to her cheerleading coach.

Officer Hunt shook Giles' hand. "Nice to finally meet you. Alex told me quite a bit about you the last time she was here. Just out of curiosity, why did you bring the active Slayer out of the Hellmouth?"

"Something's not right here in Beaufort," Giles said. "Buffy can deal with the demon part, Willow and Alex are both rather adept in witchcraft, and the two men are here to make us laugh." Giles cracked a smile. "Besides, I love my niece, even if her mother hates me. I'm proud of her."

James Hunt nodded and turned to Alex. "Is that why I couldn't e-mail you for a week?"

"Yeah, my phone line wasn't working right."

He hugged her. "It's nice to see you again."

Alex laughed. "Well, this will probably be our only night of fun. Let's enjoy ourselves!" The teenagers walked over to the stands, but Giles and James stayed behind.

"What is going to happen to Gaby's mother's boyfriend?"

"Not much. It's her word against his, though I'm very inclined to believe Gaby over Adam any day. She was, however, kicked out of her house, so she's staying with me and my wife."

Giles nodded. "She likes you a lot, you know. She considers you more of a father figure than anything else."

"Do you think she should go to Sunnydale with you?"

Giles shook his head. "She's happier here with her friends. Maybe after this year, though. I don't want what happened to Alex to happen to Gaby."

"What happened?"

"Alex lived with me while her parents produced movies. Rather abruptly, they moved to Oceanside in the middle of eighth grade, and Alex never really fit in again. It would be a shame if it happened again."

James nodded. "Yes, it would. Come on, let's watch Gaby win."


***
"Yeah. Coach Greene said that I don't have to cheer in the second half, even if I don't win."

Gaby, Alex, Buffy and Willow were in the Girls restroom, fixing Gaby up. "When we're done, you're going to be goregeous," Willow said.

"Like I'm not already?" Gaby said laughingly.

"Lack of modesty. Must be Dad's trait," Alex said. She handed Gaby the choker. "Can I put it on you?"

"Sure." Gaby's hair was curled in beautiful ringlets, pulled out of her face. She was wearing light makeup, and her ankle length black formal dress with a slit up the thigh was absolutely ravishing. Alex clasped the necklace on her sister. "There."

Gaby looked in the mirror. "Wow!" She turned around, then heard a knock at the door.

"Girls? And Alex?"

"Xander!" Alex said laughingly.

"Come on, they're ready for you." The three Sunnydale residents walked out first. Xander's jaw dropped when he saw Gaby. "Can I escort you to your escort?" he asked. It was the first time he'd outright flirted with anyone after Cordelia went to Los Angeles.

Gaby laughed. "Yeah." Xander grabbed her arm and they walked to the MCJROTC escort for her.

Willow giggled. "I think he like's her."

"Isn't it obvious?" Buffy said.


***
The game was over. BCHS had won 15-14 in a very close game. And Gaby had won as well, being the new Homecoming Queen for 1999. Even though she won it in 2000.

The celebration party was to be cut short, but since Buffy was there, the three Watchers decided to let Gaby take a nig ht off and go to the Homecoming dance.

Gaby asked Xander to accompany her to the casual dance, and he agreed. The two drove off to the dance while everyone else went to the TwoSuns Inn, where the Sunnydale residents were staying.

"So, where would I patrol?" Buffy asked.

"That poses a problem. There are no vampires, really, but there are other things."

"And that's why you've all been pulled out of Sunnydale during your semester break." Giles said.

"Okay. What's going on?" Oz asked calmly.

"There is some sort of demon killing women around here. Gaby's mother may have been one of the victims, but her body hasn't been found yet."

Alex nodded, feeling slightly sick at the thought. "Anyways, James called and told me after Gaby's cleaning woman said the game was tonight. I thought it'd be cool to combine the two events, so I can see my sis and stuff and help her as well."

"And I thought you all should come as well, to help with research and such," said Giles.

The teenagers nodded. "Well, now all we have to do is start researching. Is there a Hellmouth here?" Willow asked.

James shook his head. "No, and that's what was so weird about Gaby living here. There was no vampires here and no real need for a slayer until recently."

"What happened recently?" Oz asked.

"Well....."


***
The dance was boring after midnight, and Xander and Gaby left at about one in the morning. "Where are you staying at?" Gaby asked.

"This inn on...Main Street."

"Was it looking over water? And was it near the docks?" Xander nodded. "Then it's the TwoSuns inn on Bay Street."

"Oh." Xander had had fun with Gaby that night, even if he couldn't dance and she could. Many girls were giving her dirty looks, but Gaby just smiled and kept talking to Xander. They were different, but had a lot of the same things in common. Such as a horrible family background and a gift for sarcasm.

Too soon, they arrived at the inn. Gaby parked across the street. "Well, I'm going in to say goodnight to my family. Knowing the bookworms, they're probably still up."

Xander nodded his head. "Giles will probably stay up all night. I sometimes think he runs on batteries that allow him to stay up all night."

Gaby laughed. "And Alex is just as bad. She has her laptop on her lap, her cell phone to her ear, and a book next to her as well as her CD player on. And she still get's work done."

The walked in and quietly went to the rooms where everyone was staying. The girls shared a room, as did Xander and Oz. Everyone was, however, in Giles' room at the moment.

Xander yawned. "I'm going to bed now. Tell everyone I said goodnight, okay?" As Gaby nodded, Xander bent down a bit and kissed her on the cheek. "Thanks for the nice evening."

"Wait a second," Gaby said. Xander turned around and Gaby kissed him lightly on the lips. "Thank you," she murmured with their lips still together, and then she kissed a little harder.

A few minutes later, Xander walked into his room with a bewildered smile on his face. About 10 minutes later, the door opened again.

"I hope you enjoyed kissing my sister. She did," Alex said, then she shut the door.

"Wait a second," Xander said.

Alex poked her head in. "Yes?"

"How'd you know?"

Alex smiled. "She's beaming and totally flushed. Besides, she told us girls." The door shut and silence filled the room.


***
The next morning, it was cold and gray outside. Nothing much was going on outside the inn, but inside was another matter.

"C'mon, guys. Wake up! We have to do research!" Willow was up and moving before anyone else, and trying to get everyone up. Alex threw a pillow at her.

"Will, shut up and let us sleep! The library will still be there in an hour!"

Buffy didn't do anything, still being sound asleep. Willow left the room as Alex aimed another pillow at her and knocked on the guy's door.

"Come in," Xander said.

Willow had a smirk on her face. Xander was dressed in what constituted his best clothing: a clean shirt and non-tattered jeans. "What's the occasion?"

"Nothing. Just wanted to look good, that's all. Oz is already downstairs, with Giles and Gaby. I'm going down now. You coming?"

"No. Gotta get Buffy and Alex up first."

"Good luck." He walked past her and towards the breakfast smells. Willow sighed and walked back into the room. Alex was up, slowly getting dressed.

"Well, you're up and perky this morning," Buffy said, yawning. "What a great way to spend a vacation."

Alex just grunted. Morning was not a good time to bother her. She threw on an ankle length black skirt and a tank top, pulling on a cardigan over it. "Where's coffee?"

"Downstairs, everyone else is already down there," Willow said.

"I need coffee." Alex walked out the room as Buffy got up to change.

"One track mind?" Willow asked.

"No. I didn't realize she has prescient dreams like me. I woke up around the middle of the night, and she was muttering something."

"Any idea what? I mean, it may help."

"Sounded like...naw, it couldn't be."

"Couldn't be what?"

"Spike."

"Oh." Buffy finished getting dressed in jeans and a sweater. Willow paused. "What were yours?"

"The usual. Evil things and bad omens."

The two were still discussing that as they joined the rest of the group for the continental breakfast. "Where's a good place around here to get some more food?" Xander was asking.

"Well," Gaby replied, "there's a few restaurants here on Bay Street, but they don't really open until lunch. Best place to go for a decent type of breakfast would probably be the Firehouse Books and Espresso Bar, next to the library. Of course, for chocolate, the Chocolate Tree is usually open early. It's over by Beaufort's main USC campus."

"So what are we doing today?" Buffy asked.

Alex was sipping coffee, and seemed more relaxed. "Go to the library and research. Gaby said they have something called 'The Beaufort Room,' which I think should be checked out."

Giles was about to say something when the in owner came to the table. "Is there a Giles here?"

"Which one?" Alex, Giles and Gaby asked. The rest of the table laughed a bit.

"Gaby. It's from an Officer James Hunt."

"That's me. I'll be right back." The gang chatted a bit and watched Gaby as she was on the phone. She went from smiling to shocked to crying. Giles went over to his niece, who silently turned and hugged him. He picked up the phone.

"James?"

"Oh, Rupert. We just found Gaby's mother. She was murdered, in the same way as the others." Willow came up and guided Gaby back to the table.

"What should we do?" Giles asked.

"I think...I think she should stay with you. I'll take care of everything else. Also, her mother's boyfriend has disappeared."

Giles nodded. "Good plan. We were going to research a bit today. Should Gaby go to the police station or the library?"

James thought about it. "Wherever she goes, have that one boy go with her. She seems to like him, and I think she needs someone nearby that can make her laugh a bit."

"You mean Xander? Very well. She'll go to the library with the others. Do you mind if Willow and I go to the station to talk with you?"

"Not at all. The coroner has the body, though, and I don't think he'll let you see it. By the way, you do know that you were designated Gaby's legal guardian if her father was unable to take her in, don't you?"

Giles shook his head. "That I did not know."

James paused. "I have to get off the line, but Gaby can probably help you get a cab over here." He hung up.

Giles rejoined the group, where Alex was comforting her sister. "It'll be okay. I know from experience," she said soothingly, stroking her sister's hair back.

Gaby nodded as her sobbing lessened. "I...I loved my...Mom. I didn't lo...love her boy...friend, though. I...I miss her."

"Well, Gaby, do you want to help us, or would you rather keep company with some of us and talk?" Willow asked.

Gaby shook her head. "I'll help."

Giles cleared his throat. "Very well. Willow and Oz, you come with me to the police station to talk to James. Alex, take everyone else to the library and research. Take your cell phone as well."

Alex nodded. "Call me in two hours with whatever information you can get."

The group separated, with Giles calling a taxi and Gaby leading everyone to her car, which was once again parked across from the inn.

"Can you drive?" Buffy asked Gaby. She shook her head yes. They climbed in, with Xander instinctively going up front and sitting next to Gaby.

"We'll be here. Don't worry," he said quietly, touching her hand.


***
A few minutes later, Gaby pulled up into the library parking lot. "I'm kinda hungry. You guys mind if I don't research with you?" she asked the others.

"No, go ahead," Alex said. "Just take Xander here with you. I want someone nearby who I trust, okay?"

The two got out and walked over to the small building next to the library. On the outside, it looked like a firehouse, but inside there was books and a small coffee bar set up towards the back.

"Hey Beth," Gabby said, waving towards the teenager behind the counter.

"Hey Gaby. What's wrong?" she asked.

Gaby started to cry a bit, and Xander put his arm around her. "Her mother was found dead." Beth dropped what she was doing and came around the counter to hug Gaby. "I'm so sorry."

Gaby stopped crying, and breathed deeply. "I'll be fine. Oh, this is Xander Harris, one of my sister's friends from California." The two shook hands.

"What the hell are you doing with Gaby?" a slurred male voice came from behind them.

"Daniel, get out of this store!" Beth said.

Daniel came over and grabbed Gaby. Xander walked up to him. "Leave her alone, whoever you are." He let Gaby go and threw a punch at Xandrer, hitting him in the face.

"Daniel, go away!" Gaby said.

Daniel backed off. But only for a second. He charged towards Xander, who moved out of the way. Daniel ran into a book display as Beth went to call the police. Xander let go of Gaby and went outside figuring Daniel would follow.

Xander knew by now that was Gaby's psychotic ex-boyfriend. Daniel came outside a minute later. The two exchanged punches and finally Xander, who had the upper hand on account of Daniel's drunken state, pinned him to the ground as a police car came by. Two cops got out.

"What happened?" one asked Xander as the two girls came out.

"Daniel Baker came into the store and tried to drag Gaby away. Then, when Xander told him to leave her alone, he proceded to try and charge into him. Xander came out here and Daniel started punching at him."

The other officer looked at his partner. "He just broke his restraining order against Ms. Giles here, and he's intoxicated. I'd say that's enough to get him into jail for a few days, considering he's 18."

His partner nodded and read him his rights. The second cop went over to Xander. "You live here?"

He shook his head. "No, I'm here visiting with Gaby's sister."

He pulled out a pad of paper. "I'll need statements from you, but we can do it here. There won't be a need for you to come down to the station, unless you want to press charges."

"No, I don't think so." He gave the cop his statement, as did Beth and Gaby. When the cops finally left, they went back inside. Xander's eye was black and blue, and his cheek was bruised.

"You know," Beth said when they got inside, "you two look alike now."

Xander laughed a bit. "Yeah, we do."

"C'mon, I'll get you guys something to eat. On the house."

Gaby settled back in her seat by a table at the window. Xander sat across from her. "You just fought my ex-boyfriend and won. No one's done that in a few years."

"Well, he was drunk. It wasn't a fair fight. Just consider me a knight in shining armor. Or at least a knight in what were claen clothes."

Gaby laughed a little. Beth came up with some muffins and two mocha frappacinos, as well as a bag of ice for Xander's face. "Enjoy, and if you're still hungry, I'll get something else."

"Well, at least we're not bored. I thought this trip would be dull, but I'm starting to think differently," Xander said, smiling at Gaby.




***
PART 2
***


Four hours later, the gang went back to the inn along with Gaby and James.

"And that's all we were able to get, except a lot of ghost tale about the Land's End light and some other assorted things," Buffy said. "How about you?"

"Well," Giles said, clearing his throat, "we managed to get a look at the police reports of other victims. All were..." He looked at his niece. "Do you want to hear this?"

She shook her head. "Can I just...talk to Alex for a bit?" She asked timidly.

Alex stood up. "Yeah. We'll see you guys in a bit." The two sisters walked out to Gaby's car, and Gaby drove to this baseball field. She parked and climbed up into the announcer's booth area. Alex followed.

"How'd you deal when your mom and our dad died?" Gaby asked.

"Well, I was just entering college, so I was supposed o be alone. But I cried a lot, and them I immersed myself in school and my business."

"Did you talk to anyone about it?"

"I talked to my friends, and I talked to Uncle Rupert, but not much. He was hurting even more than I was." Alex paused. "I've only told one other...person what I went through."

"Who?"

"Well, he's not exactly alive anymore. He's a vampire. His name is Spike."

"Oh. Why'd you tell him?"

"A few weeks ago, *my* psychotic ex-boyfriend Jeremy got possessed by a demon, and I had to kill him. Spike has a reason to make sure I stay alive, so he watched me for a few days to make sure I'd be okay. We got to talking, and I told him about my parents."

"Why'd he have to make sure you stay alive?"

"I saved his life."

Suddenly something clicked in Gaby's head. "Is that why you're on the council?"

Alex nodded. "Yeah. Anyways, what's been going on in your life? We haven't talked much, so I wanted to know. I mean, other than what happened today?"

Gaby smiled. Talking about her friends made her happy. She told Alex all about them, and everything she was doing in school, and her adventures as a junior. "And all my friends are leaving this year when they graduate," she concluded.

The sky had begun to darken, and they both realized they'd been gone for almost three hours. "You hungry?" Alex asked. Gaby nodded. "Why don't we go back and get everyone else. Then you can take us out to eat with my credit card, okay? I mean, with you being the expert of cuisine around here."

Gaby smiled and they both climbed down the ladder and drove back to the inn. Everyone else was still in Giles' room.

"Welcome back!" Willow said brightly. "We were about to send a search party out to get you."

"Well, if you all aren't to tired or immersed in work, we thought you'd enjoy some food. Probably at Plums, or maybe Bananas. Or even The Bank," Gaby said.

James looked at her quizically. "How are you going to get enough money to pay for this?" he asked.

Alex held up her Visa. "It's on me. A business dinner, I'd say."

They got up and walked down Bay Street to the restaurants, entering The Bank Bar and Grill. They stayed for an hour or two, then walked behind the building out to Waterfront Park and walked around for a bit, listening to James talk about some of the history of Beaufort.

Suddenly, out of the blue, a vampire attacked. Gaby was prepared, and staked him through the heart. "James, I thought they didn't hunt around here," she asked.

"I think we need to step up our research," Giles said.

"Uh, Uncle Rupert?" Alex asked.

"Yes, dear?"

"Right now we have other problems," she said, looking at the twenty or so vampires advancing on them. Gaby fished around in her bookbag, grabbed four or so stakes, and handed them out. She pulled out a miniature crossbow and aimed it at one of the vamps, letting a bolt fly.

The park looked abandoned, but the vampires crept out, each being slayed by a Watcher, a Slayer or a regular person caught up in the mess. After almost a half-hour of fighting, the park was quiet again.

"Let's get out of here. We need to change our strategy a bit," James said.

"Hold on. Did you realize where they came from?" Gaby asked her watcher.

He shook his head. "They all came from Church Street. Those are the nearest graveyards around here. That means that quite a few of them had to come from the Church over by the Post Office, where the most recent burials are. I think we should take a look."

The group walked over in that direction, ending up at a huge white church with many old headstones in the cemetary. Walking in, they saw the older graves were undisturbed.

But about twenty or so graves were open and the occupants were gone.

"Uh oh," said Oz. "I think we have a problem."


***
The somber mood from the day before was lightened. Gaby, who had gone with James the previous evening, walked into the girls' room.

"Hey, guys. Wake up!" she said brightly. "C'mon, I have a surprise."

The three girls slowly got out of bed and got dressed. Gaby walked downstairs and out to her car. Inside was a lot of papers. "We got some stuff to research. James is at work again, but he showed me the important stuff. Can you guys help carry it all in, along with the bag?" The girls nodded and started grabbing stuff.

"Do I smell croissants? And other baked goods?" Willow asked.

Gaby nodded. "I went to Bi-Lo and got them fresh. There's also muffins and stuff, plus a few mugs, a coffee maker and a hot plate. As well as tea and mocha coffee."

The girls went upstairs and set up the food. Soon, they were knocking on the guys' and Giles' door, urging them to get up. Xander, smelling food, was the first to get in the room. The others followed, and they talked as they ate breakfast.

"Well, Gaby, now might not be a good time to talk about this, but I fear I may forget to tell you later. As of yesterday, I became your legal guardian," Giles said.

She nodded. "I kind of figured you would. No offense. So, will I be moving to Sunnydale?" A look of sadness washed over her face.

"No, I think we can wait until the end of this school year. Do you mind spending your senior year in Sunnydale?"

Gaby smiled. "No, all my friends graduate this year." She paused. "Who will I stay with until then?"

"James, of course. However, you will be supported by me. And Alex, I suppose."

Alex nodded. "But don't expect a huge allowance, dear," she said archly. "You already got a car with paid insurance. What more could you want?"

Gaby pretended to think about that. "A million dollars and a date with Joshua Jackson?"

Alex laughed. "I don't know about the date, but the million we can work on. Of course, you'll be investing in *my* company..."

"Never mind then," Gaby said. "I actually want to see this money." Gaby frowned a little. Though she enjoyed being around her family and her new friends, she did miss her Mom. Alex reached over and squeezed her hand. (I know how it feels.)

Gaby jumped a little. "You...you're a telepath?"

Alex shrugged. "Yeah. Have been for years. No big deal, really." She returned to the croissant she was consuming.

Willow cleared her throat. "Umm, what about those vamps we ran into last night?"

Gaby got up and brought back some papers. "These belonged to some of the Gullah people who live in the islands. Turns out there is a Hellmouth here in Beaufort, and it's located somewhere on Church Street."

Giles read some of the papers. "The language is...colorful," he said.

Gaby smiled. "You should hear it. After you get used to it, it sounds beautiful. Especially when it's used in singing. The Hallelujah Singers are the best at it."

"Who are they?" Oz asked.

Gaby pulled out her Walkman and popped in a tape. Oz listened for a minute, then passed it around.

Xander smiled. "You're right. It's different, but really cool."

Giles looked up from the papers. "I think I know why the disturbances have started to happen. It turns out that this Hellmouth is able to be opened every 1,000 years. This is about the time it could be opened."

"Well, there's no Master, so how is it going to get opened?" Buffy asked.

"Well, there is a spirit, supposedly, that possesses one or two people to raise the spirit of a vampire. That vampire spirit in turn creates other vampires, until they can assemble and do a rite. And according to this timeframe, the rite will be held in three days."

Gaby sighed. "I can't help much until after school. I have to go, or my teachers will get mad. And I'll get behind."

"By missing a day or two of school?" Willow asked.

"Well, I'm in the International Baccalaureate program, as well as the Advanced Placement program. With the exception of a few electives, I could graduate at the end of the year, but I'm going to stay and take those next year." Then she remembered. "I mean, I'll take them in Sunnydale. You guys do have the IB program, right?"

Alex nodded. "You'll fit right in and probably get your IB diploma. So, what do we need to do today?"

"We need to find the exact area where the ritual will be held. Then, we need to get together the supplies needed to stop this ritual." Giles paused. "We also need help from James, but I suppose that shall have to wait."

"Well, I have to meet some friends for a commitment. Giles, can we all go for a bit?"

"You all may. I think I'll stay and read these texts. Be back before dark, though."

The teens left the inn, and walked towards Waterfront Park again. The Beaufort River shone in the cold sun.

"What are we doing?" Oz asked.

"My friends are doing short one-act plays at the USCB theatre, and I agreed to help them set up the sets. I need to do something to get my mind off my Mom, anyways."

They walked in silence as they approached USCB. Inside, laughing was heard, as well as curses and hammering.

"I'm here, and I brought some friends," Gaby said, sticking her head in.

"Gaby, you didn't have to come," Mike said, putting down a hammer and walking off stage towards them. His hair shone in the light from the stage, and he turned towards the lighting booth above. "Joe, turn the stage lights down! I'm blinded over here."

"Sure, Mike," a voice came through an intercom.

"Guys, meet Mike. The tall girl over there is BJ, the brown haired girl is Renee, John is the guy with the glasses, Allison is over there putting make-up on Lee, and Joe is-"

"Right behind you," a distinctly male voice said. "Hi, I'm Joe."

The two cute guys were standing there looking at Gaby. "Oh! Guys, this is Oz, Willow, Xander and Buffy. And I think you remember Alex." Mike went over and hugged Alex.

"Didn't think you'd come back!" he said warmly. "How's London?"

"Cold, but I live in California now," she said.

He looked surprised. "Why?"

"I'm on assignment. My business wants a headquarters in Sunnydale, and since I'm the president, I got elected. Plus, I work at a high school as a librarian's assistant."

The entire group headed towards the stage, and more introductions were made.

BJ stood up. "Okay, boys and girls. Time to party a bit while we work!" She put in a CD, and everyone was soon working in groups to finish the sets. Allison, Alex and Joe all worked together, as did Willow, Oz and Lee. John, Mike and Buffy were stuck together, and Gaby, Xander and BJ were basically in the lighting booth, checking things there.


***
The afternoon proceeded swiftly, with a short lunch break with pizza from Rotundos. As evening fell, Gaby looked at her friends. "We have to go," she said.

"Why?" Mike asked.

"My uncle wants me in by dark. I have to work somethings out with him."

"Hold on, Gaby. Let me call the inn and see what I can do," Alex said, pulling her sister away. "It might be safer if we stayed here for a bit. That way, we can make sure everyone's left before we patrol," she whispered when they were out of earshot.

After talking to Giles for a few minutes, Gaby and Alex came back to the group. "We can stay," Gaby said.


***
After explaining the reason for staying and enjoying some very good one acts, the gang started to walk back to the inn. Mike, Joe, BJ and Beth, who had been watching the one-acts, joined them. Suddenly, five vampires attacked them.

After tossing stakes out, those five vampires were dust.

And the four Beaufort teenagers were in shock.

After a few minutes, Joe calmly asked, "Were those...vampires?"

Gaby nodded. "We got some splainin to do," she said, imitating Desi Arnez.


***
"And that's the truth. Alex, James and I are Watchers, and Buffy and Gaby are Slayers," Giles said. James, who had stopped by just as the teenagers arrived, nodded as well.

"And what about them?" Mike asked, pointing at Xander, Willow and Oz.

"They're friends of Buffy's."

"Does that mean..." BJ started to ask.

"No," Gaby said. "You don't have to help. In fact, Alex or Willow could probably do a spell to make you completely forget everything you just heard."

"A spell?" Joe asked.

"We're witches, though I'm better," Alex said.

Mike looked confused but no longer shocked. "So, there are really vampires, and you two make sure they're dead with help from guys like them?"

Gaby nodded. "Basically."

"Why does Gaby have two Watchers?" Joe asked.

"I'm a member of the Watcher's Council, sent to Sunnydale to watch my Uncle and his Slayer. When Gaby moves to Sunnydale, she will no longer be James' Slayer. She'll be mine."

"What happens in order to have a new Slayer?" Beth asked.

"An old one dies. Usually young," Alex said.

"So why are there two Slayers now when there should only be one?"

Alex sighed. It had been a long night of explaining. "Uncle Rupert, you're Buffy's Watcher, you explain." She laid down on her bed and tried to get some sleep. Not a chance, with everyone talking.

Gradually, however, it all sank in, and the teenagers promised to keep it a secret. Just to make sure, Alex telepathed this message: (By the way, I can read minds, and I can tell if you're lying.)

The teens all looked at Alex, who was lying in bed smiling.

"Did you have to, sis?" Gaby asked.

"But of course," she mumbled. "I am your older sister. Don't you all need sleep for school tomorrow?"


***
The count was down to two days until the ritual. Gaby woke up early and got ready for school. She knew her way around James' house, having gone there to study and practice fighting. His wife Therese was already up and making breakfast.

"Hello, dear." She stopped cooking the eggs and hugged Gaby. "Are you sure you want to go to school today?"

Gaby nodded. "I need something to keep me going. School and slaying seem to be about it. I think I'll miss cheerleading practice for the next few days, though."

"I heard about the attacks from James. How are your friends doing? And will they be joining us here tonight as well?"

"Yeah," Gaby said, sitting down at the t able. "Everyone coming tonight will be Uncle Rupert, Alex, Buffy, Xander, Willow, Oz, Mike, BJ, Joe and Beth. Each of my friends from Sunnydale is going to pair off with someone from Beaufort and learn what they can, as well as help patrol."

"Do you know the arrangements?"

"Mike and Buffy, Alex, BJ, Oz and Willow, and Joe, Beth, Xander and me. The eight of us grouped together will be patrolling the various graveyards. Thank goodness most of them are on Church Street. Buffy and Mike will be downtown."

Therese nodded. "It sounds like you're prepared. Is everyone going to come here and eat?" She places a plate with eggs, sausage and grits in front of Gaby, who started eating it.

"Yeah." The two continued to talk until Gaby had to leave to go to school.


***
School proceeded slowly. Rumors were spreading about the fight outside of the Firehouse Some were truthful, that a visitor had defended Gaby when her ex-boyfriend had attacked her. Others were along the line of preposterous, such as that Gaby and the stranger were having a torrid love affair and he was going to whisk her away.

Gaby laughed. "No. It was the same guy who took me to the dance. Daniel went scitzo and Xander just got him out of the place and away from me. He got hit in the face for it though."

"And do you like him?" one of her cheerleading friends asked.

Gaby blushed. "Yeah. He's sweet and he's funny, plus he's really nice to everyone he meets unless they make him mad. And he looks out for his friends, and he's basically a nice guy. And...well..."

"Have you kissed him?"

Gaby didn't say anything, but her smile got bigger and her blush got deeper.

"I'll take that as a yes," Mike said, walking up to the group of cheerleaders. "Need to borrow your captain. She has an early dismissal today, and I'm taking her to lunch." The two friends walked away from the group.

"Do I...?" she asked.

Mike nodded. "I talked to Miss Brahms. She said you could leave early today. If anyone asks, it suddenly hit you that your Mom was gone and you couldn't take it, so you went home."

Gaby smiled. "You liar! So...where are we going?"

"The inn. Alex stopped by and signed you out, and met up with us at our lunch."

"Figures." They climbed into their cars and drove off.


***
Lunch was simple; they ate pizza and sat around, planning the evenings events.

"Okay, Alex, you and your team takes the two graveyards to the left, and Gaby, you and your team take the two to the right. Buffy, you and Mike travel along Bay Street and Waterfront Park and help if needed down there," Giles said.

Gaby reached down into her bookbag, pulling out a few stakes.

"I'm glad no one ever checked your bookbag," Joe said.

"So am I," Gaby said.

Alex reached into her nightstand drawer and pulled out bottles of water, as well as three crossbows. She handed a crossbow and some bolts to Buffy and Gaby. "Since we're trained in how to use these, we'll be the only ones using them."

She then handed everyone a bottle. "Holy Water. For those of you who don't know, this hurts a vampire. I also have crosses in here for anyone who wants one." She passed those out as well. Then she pulled out cheap little water guns. Smiling, she said, "Better aim and less waste."

Gaby didn't even look up. "I get a blue one."


***
Night fell, and the teens started their patrol. Buffy and Mike walked around Waterfront Park, occasionally staking a vampire or two. "Seems slow tonight," Buffy remarked.

"What's a regular night like for you?"

"Oh, I stake about 10-20 vampires if something really bad is going on, but that's with help. Usually, about 4 or 5 vampires a night, plus I have to deal with Spike."

"Who?"

"Oh. He's a vampire that is moderately useful but otherwise a pain. He's actually smart, but I'd never tell him."

"Why do you think he's smart?"

"He's helped me once. To fight...Angelus, another vampire."

Sensing it was a bad subject, Mike changed it. "Where else have you lived?"

"Oh. Los Angeles."

"Wow. I've never lived in a big city like that. Though I will in a few months. I'm going to college in Charleston."

"Well, I go to the local college. Crestwood."

"Oh. We had a teacher that graduated from there. One evening, I heard he just went insane."

Buffy laughed. "It's probably true."

Mike looked at her. "You have a nice laugh."


***
Gaby and her group were huddled in a group around the new graves.

Joe looked down. "Uhh...Gaby?"

"Yeah?"

"It's moving." Joe backed away and Gaby came over. As the vampire rose, Gaby staked it. But not without a little fight that left a cut on Gaby's cheek. Suddenly, Beth screamed.

Before anyone could get to her, Beth kicked the vampire in the groin, and Xander rushed over to stake it. He missed. Gaby ran over but tripped on a low headstone. The vampire was advancing on Beth. Joe walked over, calmly tapped the vampire on the shoulder, and said, "Boo."

He then punched the vamp out, grabbed Xander's stake, and the vampire exploded into dust.

"Two for two," Gaby said weakly.


***
Alex, BJ, Willow and Oz were having better luck. No vamps yet. They walked between the two cemeteries, checking both of them out. One had no new graves, so it wasn't very likely to have vampires. The other, however, was full of new graves.

Then it happened all at once. Ten vampires rose out of their graves. BJ actually managed to stake two, which surprised everyone. Alex shot off three crossbow bolts, hitting two on the mark and missing one. Willow and Oz were double teaming a vamp. When they staked him, they helped BJ with the three that were left.

Two had gone over to Alex, whose crossbow was jammed. She managed to stake one easily enough, but the other was too powerful, and after kicking her knee, she buckled a bit.

Suddenly, the vamp was dust and Alex fell into someone's arms.

"Miss me, luv?" someone with a British accent said. Alex looked up and realized it was Spike.

Then she fainted in his arms.




***
PART 3
***

Willow and Oz finished the vamps. Looking up, they see Alex being picked up and carried towards them.

"Spike, what did you do to her?" Willow asked.

"Hold on, mate!" he said, glaring at BJ, who was advancing with a stake. "She was getting attacked, I saved her bloody life, and she fainted. Stake me and she dies."

"Fine. Why are you here?" Oz asked.

Spike sighed. "If Alex dies I get a soul. And that would put a crimp in my lifestyle." He continued holding her in his arms like a baby. "Where are you all staying at?"

"We're not inviting you in," Xander says as him, Gaby, Joe and Beth enter the cemetery. "Put her down, Spike."

"Wait a minute. If she dies, you get a soul? How?"

"In order to make sure nothing life-threatening happened to her, she made me a sort of protector. She tied her life into the spell to curse me with a soul permanently. She dies, the spell is invoked. I have a soul."

"Poor you," a female voice said from behind him. He turned around and saw Buffy and Mike.

"Look, I know I'm outnumbered. Why would I fight?" He feels the ground he's standing on move, and he sets Alex down lightly. When the vamp appears, he grabs it by the throat.

"Mate, you have some questions to answer. Where's the stolen relic?"

The vampire squirmed. "In...in the armory."

Spike broke his neck and then picked Alex up again. "Now, where are you all staying at?"


***
"I have a reason to make sure Alex stays alive. If you try to stop the ritual without a certain relic, you'll all die. Do you not understand that?"

Giles nodded. "Though you're not trustworthy, I know of the relic you're talking about. And they all heard what the vampire said."

"I'm leaving now. Try to get it before the sun sets tonight. And mind you, just because I'm helping for my sake doesn't mean I'll leave you alone when we get back."

"Didn't think you would," Buffy said. "Tomorrow?"

Spike nodded and walked out. Instead of leaving, though, he went to where Alex was sleeping. Walking over to her, he just sat and looked at her for a moment. She stirred and woke up.

"Spike?" she murmured.

Not moving, he nodded. "Yes?"

"Why are you here?"

"To keep you alive."

"How's Dru?"

"Crazy still, but thankful I'm saving you."

"Why?"

"So I won't have a soul." And with that, he disappeared out the door. Gaby stepped out of the shadows.

"You heard?" Alex muttered.

Gaby nodded. "I think he likes you. Or at least, he admires you."

But Alex had already fallen back asleep.


***
Gaby took the next day off from school. She drove back to the library with Xander, Giles and Alex. The other slayer and her friends were still asleep. She parked in the library parking lot and they walked towards the armory, which was now a museum.

"You know what relic we have to find?" Xander asks.

Giles nodded. "It is a key of some sort. Without it, the ritual cannot take place. If we have it, there is a small chant we can do to stop the Hellmouth from trying to open on it's own."

"Isn't it funny how all these things sound simple when he says them but turn out really hard to do?" Xander said.

They walked up and paid their fees to get in. Going upstairs to the second floor, they were looking at various artifacts. Giles walked around and finally said, "Alex? Gaby? Xander?" They walked over and looked at the gleaming artifact. "This is it."

"How are we supposed to get it?" Xander asked.

"Well, I suppose it will have to be stolen," Giles said, lowering his voice. "If Spike comes back tonight, we may have to have him get it."

"He will," Alex and Gaby said at the same time. Giles frowned a bit, and the two girls started to laugh.

They went through the rather small museum and back outside. Left on the hood of Gaby's car was a note and a pile of ashes. The note read, "Alex. Don't attempt to take the key. The one in the museum is a fake; I stole the real one last night. I'll bring it tonight. Spike"

"See, what'd I tell you?" Gaby said, wiping the ashes off her car.


***
The rest of the day was spent waiting. First, there was the waiting for Gaby's friends to get out of school. Then they had to wait for nightfall. Finally, they had to wait for Spike.

At about six o'clock, Gaby, who was grabbing some warmer clothing, heard the door open and close. "Hold on, I'm coming." She could sense someone watching, but when she turned around, she didn't see anyone. She found a sweater and walked out.

Spike walked out behind her and touched her shoulder.

"Wha-!" she said before Spike put a cold hand over her mouth.

"Here's the key. I'll be back tomorrow," he said, going down the stairs. Gaby followed.

"Why won't you stay?"

He stopped and turned around. "It hurts to be near..."

"Alex?" He nodded. "She likes you, you know."

"I know. But I love Dru, and..."

Gaby nodded. "And you don't want to hurt either of them. I'll give them the key." Gaby turned around and walked towards the door. She was about to ask another question when she turned around again.

He was gone. Gaby walked back inside and up the stairs.

"Where is that vamp, anyway?" Joe asked.

"He just left," Gaby replied, handing Giles the key. "Here."

He took it and examined it. It was exactly the same as the other key, with the exception of an inscription on the back in Latin, which was on the original.

Alex looked out the window for a minute with a sad look on her face. "Well, let's go on patrol," she said, and got up. "Uncle Rupert, do we have everything we need for the rite tomorrow?"

Giles nodded. "Go and patrol. Alex, wait here a moment."

The others went outside. "Alex, what are your feelings towards Spike? Please remember I won't judge you, I just need to know."

"Um, well, I think...I think I really like him. As more than an ally. But," she continued quickly, "he only cares for Dru. I understand that, and I don't do anything to disrupt them."

Giles nodded. "I thought that was the case. Gaby mentioned something to me about that this afternoon, and I wanted to be sure. Go join the others, dear."


***
The patrol was the same as the night before. More vamps attacked than the night before, and soon all 10 of them were fighting in the same cemetery. The teenagers were grossly outnumbered, about 3 to one. Surprisingly, some of these vampires looked a bit older than a few hours or days old.

"Gaby, you need more bolts?" Buffy yelled.

"No!"

"I'm out of Holy Water!" Beth yelled.

"Catch," Alex said as she tossed Beth the squirt gun.

"Thanks!" She caught it, squirted the vamp in the face and then shoved him up against a tree with a branch sticking out. He turned to dust.

Sitting in the shadows was a figure, who watched what was happening with delight. (The Slayers and their friends are loosing. Good.) Suddenly, another person entered the brawl, one who the man knew was most definitely not human. His blonde hair streaked about, helping fend vampires off various others. (I know of him. He is the one they call Spike. He must die too.)

Soon, all that remains of the fight is piles of ash, torn clothing and broken weaponry.

"Didn't think you cared," Buffy said to Spike.

"I'm always up for a good fight, but that was grossly unfair even by my standards," he said, glancing over at Gaby. "A certain Slayer...inspired me to help." He looked around and finally fixed his gaze on Alex, who was resting by the tree. "You'll need protection for the rite tomorrow, right?"

"Yeah," Willow said.

"I'm it, along with whichever of you can help. I'll meet you at the park at six." He walked out and left the group there, gasping for breath.

"Nice, isn't he?" BJ asked.

Alex shrugged. "You get used to him," she said lightly.


***
The day dawned slowly, and only Gaby stayed awake to watch it. The night before, the fights, the vampires...she didn't know if she was ready for this. Sure, everyone from Sunnydale had dealt with that type of stuff before. But Gaby hadn't. And the question in the back of her mind was simple.

Am I ready?

(Of course you are. You fought vampires and won. Besides, you won't be alone, dear. You'll be protected.)

She recognized that voice. (Mom?)

A warm feeling descended over Gaby. (Yes, dear. I love you very much and would never leave you in a time of need. Heaven's a beautiful place, you know)

(It is?)

(Yes. Not at all like it's shown in the movies. You relive your happiest moments, but you can stop and watch the world. You can even visit, if you want.)

(Will you visit me?) Gaby started to cry.

A nonexistent hand brushed away the tears. (I must go. Don't worry. Remember, love truly does conquer all.) Then the voice was silent.


***
It was decided that, since Giles and Alex were the most experienced at spell crafting, they would conduct the rite. Buffy and Gaby, as well as their friends, would guard the ritual area.

By looking at the maps and reading the old texts, it was determined about where the Hellmouth was located.

"And we need to be on the exact center?" Alex asked.

Giles nodded. "Not just that, but there must be an altar set up in a specific way."

Looking, outside, everyone noticed the rain clouds forming. "Not only will it be uncomfortable, but wet as well. Great." Buffy said.

"Well, think of it this way," Xander said. "At least we're not dealing with Acathla again. Could you imagine living in Hell?"

Everyone visibly shuddered at that remark.


***
At five o'clock, everyone met at the inn. By now it was pouring, and the assorted helpers were running from room to room, helping with the packing. If successful, the Sunnydale residents would leave the next morning.

Xander pulled Gaby aside. "Could we talk?" he asked. She nodded, and they headed downstairs. After sitting down on the porch, Gaby asked Xander. "What do you want?"

Xander got up and started to pace a bit. "Well, I...really like you. Your totally unlike anyone I've ever met before. We just..."

"Click?" Gaby supplied.

Xander nodded. "And, well, I was wondering if, when you get to Sunnydale, if you'd mind going out on an actual date with me."

"You have to wait four months," Gaby pointed out.

"Then I'll just wait," he said, stopping. "If you will, I mean."

She stood up and hugged him "Yeah, I'll wait. But we have to keep in touch."

Xander smiled down at her. "Of course." Then he leaned in and kissed her.


***
By six o'clock, the rain had lessened a little, but everyone waited under the pavilion area of the park, near the marina. Spike was late, but managed to show up before six thirty.

"Well, I'd say we should get going," James said, pulling his jacket tighter around him.

The large group walked towards the cemetery, each pairing off or joining a little group. Both Willow and Oz, as well as Xander and Gaby, held hands. Buffy, Mike, BJ, Joe and Beth walked in a group, talking about various things. Alex and Spike drifted towards the back, both too uncomfortable to talk, and Giles and James led, talking about the precise ritual.

Before they arrived, Spike pulled Alex aside. "Will you be okay?" he asked, not with too much concern.

"Of course. Watch my sister. I want her alive so I can be her Watcher." Alex walked away and joined her uncle. The rude altar was set up with a broken tombstone on two smaller square ones. Alex recited a quick spell, and there was no rain for a circle with a ten foot radius.

"Protect this area," Giles said, as he and his eldest niece laid out the ritual items. The vamps started to attack as soon as the altar was set up. "Now is a good time to start," he added.

Alex nodded. Starting the chant by invoking the God and Goddess, she then lit the candles and made the offerings. "Okay, start chanting."

Giles read loudly and clearly in Latin, with Alex intoning on certain phrases. The ground started to rumble, and cracks began to form. The cracks glowed green.

Suddenly, what could only have been described as an earthquake hit, knocking everyone to the ground. A shadowy figure approached.

"Pathetic mortals," he said. Gaby recognized him immediately.

"Adam?"

He laughed; it was a sick sound. "Never was a better vessel than someone already full of hate." He looked at Spike, "Though if I'd known you were around, I would have entered you instead."

He walked into the protected circle and went straight to Giles, kicking him many times. Alex, still a little dazed, read two more lines from the text. The figure howled in pain and turned around, kicking Alex in the face. The vampires had stopped attacking and were easily killed off by the defenders. But none of them could enter the circle.

Giles, glaring at the shadowy figure, said the final line, "Diem, carpe noctem!" (translation: Day, seize the night)

The figure howled and slowly seeped through one of the cracks, which closed up after him. "I hope that means it's closed," Giles said.

"Well, I think my nose is broken," Alex said. "It better be closed."


***
The next morning, Gaby drove some of them down to Savannah, as did Mike and Alex, who rented a car. Alex was being very quiet, on account of her nose hurting when she talked. It had been broken, and she really felt uncomfortable with the bandage on it.

When they arrived at the airport, they found out their flight was leaving in 20 minutes. Rushing to the terminal, it left little time for good-byes. Xander and Gaby kissed each other good-bye, and Xander boarded, as well as Willow and Oz. Buffy and Mike hugged each other and exchanged addresses, and Mike gave Buffy a small present.

"To remember," he said. She opened it, and there was a silver necklace with a small charm in the shape of a stake. Inscribed on the back was "Beaufort, SC. 1999." She hugged him again and boarded the plane.

Giles was speaking to his niece. "Call whenever you need to. Good luck for the rest of the year, and I hope you'll be okay."

Gaby hugged him and nodded. "James is going to get my friends to learn how to use weapons, and they'll help with the new vampire attacks." Giles then turned and boarded the plane. Alex went up to her sister.

"I should sign that," Gaby said.

"Touch it and I kill you. It hurts," Alex said, smiling a little. She hugged her sister. "Hey, I'll keep an eye on Xander, okay?"

Gaby laughed. "Cool. And be...decent to Spike, okay?"

Alex nodded. "Well, I have to go. I'll e-mail you as soon as we land in Sunnydale."

Alex boarded, and about twenty minutes later, the plane pulled away and took off down the runway. Gaby watched it until it disappeared in the sky. "Well?" she asked looking at Mike.

"Now we go home, and take care of our various bumps and bruises with a celebration party."

Gaby smiled. "I like that idea."

end

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Ragna.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.

Series this work belongs to: