Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
4,032
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
1,717

Patsy Cline series: Walking After Midnight

Summary:

The trim blond-haired man moved silently down the corridor that connected the cabins of officer's country. Most of the crew was asleep, except for those assigned to duty

Work Text:

Patsy Cline series: Walking After Midnight
by S
firstcorpsanv@webtv.net

 

The trim blond-haired man moved silently down the corridor that connected the cabins of officer's country. Most of the crew was asleep, except for those assigned to duty. Vigilance was a key to the success of SSRN SEAVIEW and this night was no different, particularly when a top-secret device was on board.

Just the day before Harriman Nelson had personally escorted the device on board before securing it in a locked special compartment. No one except Nelson, Captain Crane and the Exec had the combination to the lock. In addition a 24-hour guard kept to his post just outside the door. At 0200 this night the guard was one Cas Kowalski, who stood manfully to his post while his body and heart grumbled in protest.

Normally, Ski would have found some time to spend with his lover, Paul Patterson before turning in, but since the Captain had specifically asked Kowalski to be on guard for an eight hour stretch, he would have to forego the simple pleasure of being with the man he loved. Even worse, Patterson had the guard duty immediately following Ski so another third of the day was shot.

Ski closed his eyes briefly as he remembered the week the two lovers had experienced together before the gray lady had sailed. Takeaway had been the order of the day as they had spent as much time as possible in bed. Just the memory was enough to make Ski hard, but he ruthlessly forced himself to calm down since it wasn't unheard of for either Crane or Morton to show up just to check things out.

Indeed, his face flushed red ten seconds later when the Executive Officer walked towards him, stopped in front of him and then went on without saying a word.

Kowalski wiped the sweat off his face. That had been a close one. How could anyone explain a hard-on at 0200 while standing guard in the corridor of a nuclear submarine? Relaxing slightly, his muscular body then tensed when the XO reappeared and stopped in front of the hatch to the compartment. Inserting his special key, he entered.

Ski stood there dumbfounded. The Captain had made an inspection just before turning in, why would Morton do so again? But Ski had learned one thing from the Navy and his service for NIMR--officers did strange things and it was better to accept that if you didn't want to lose stripes or pay.

Morton stayed in the compartment for only a short time before reappearing. Kowalski started to ask him if everything was secure, but the cold steel look in the blue eyes didn't invite questions so Ski wisely held his tongue.

Quietly, Chip Morton continued on down the corridor before stopping in front of a cabin door. Gently he turned the knob and then entered.

Ski's eyes nearly bugged out. The cabin he had entered was that of Harriman Nelson. Could something have been wrong with the secret device and Morton needed to immediately notify the Admiral? Expecting to see the red-haired genius emerge at any moment Ski stood at the ready for any alarm. None came and Chip Morton did not leave the cabin.

At 0600 Paul Patterson relieved his lover at the watch. Even though Ski was dead tired, he stayed long enough to soak up some of the calm that his partner exuded, calm that quickly evaporated when Kowalski told the other man about Morton strange meanderings. Pat's eyes had opened wide as the possibilities flashed through his brain. The Exec and the Admiral?

Before either man could say another word, the door to Admiral Harriman Nelson's cabin opened. The tousle-haired redhead, dressed in pajamas and robe, immediately walked up the corridor to the two crewmen. "Ah, Kowalski, you're just going off duty, aren't you?"

"Yes sir, is there something I can do to help you?"

Nelson rubbed one hand across his stubbled jaw. "Actually, yes there is. I need your help in getting Mr. Morton back to his cabin and then I'd like you to ask Dr. Jamieson to report there. I'll wait there for him."

Kowalski blinked but said nothing as he followed the shorter man to his cabin. In five minutes the two men had Morton, still clad in his rumpled uniform, out the door and on his way back to his own compartment despite the fact that Chip's eyes seemed to be closed.

Five minutes after that a robed Will Jamieson hurriedly knocked at the blond Exec's cabin door and entered. Then all was quiet again.

Patterson, on guard duty just a few doors away, tried to strain his ears for any sounds, but SEAVIEW's architects had done an impressive job with sound proofing--something for which Pat and Ski had always previously been grateful.

Less than thirty minutes later, Harriman Nelson emerged to return to his own cabin where he dressed and then went to the control room. At 0800 Commander Lee Crane joined him for a cup of coffee in front of the herculite windows. This routine gave both men the chance to discuss any problems that might arise during the day and also because they enjoyed each other's company. During the six months since Crane had been named permanent captain, the two officers had formed a strong friendship, based on their previous work together and the unparalleled loyalty shown by the dark-haired man in Nelson's service.

"Sit down, Lee. There's a problem I want to talk to you about."

The Skipper's brown-gold eyes filled with surprise. As far as he knew their mission was proceeding as scheduled. "Of course sir, did something happen during the night? I should have been notified if there was an emergency."

"Easy, Lee, it's nothing to do with SEAVIEW. It's Chip."

Crane almost jumped to his feet. "Chip? Is he. . .hurt?"

"Not. . .exactly. This may come as a surprise, but Chip has been sleepwalking."

"Sleepwalking? How can that be?"

"Just let me tell you. I woke up this morning about 0530 and found Chip sound asleep in one corner of my cabin. With Ski's help I got him back to his own cabin and called Jamie. It turns out that Will already knew about it."

"What? I don't understand you."

"It seems he paid a visit to Jamieson in sickbay yesterday. He told him that he woke up the night before and found himself in the compartment where the secret device is and he didn't even remember going in. When he left, he told the guard he had just been checking to make sure it was secure."

"We've only been at sea for two nights and he was wandering around? Why didn't Jamie tell us?"

The scientist rubbed at one ear before answering. "Chip asked him not to. He said that he had sometimes done some sleepwalking when he was younger, but that it usually didn't last more than one night."

Crane blinked. "He. . .he never told me anything about it."

"Well, it's not the kind of thing most men would confide to a friend, is it?"

Stung by the lack of trust, Lee bit back a heated reply, but then mentioned, "I don't remember there being a problem when we were roommates at the Academy."

"Evidently, Chip told Jamie that it only happened under circumstances of extreme stress."

"Stress? Well, Annapolis was stressful although Chip certainly didn't seem to have any major difficulties or I suppose it's possible he woke up before I knew he was wandering around. But why now? This is a fairly routine mission."

Nelson's blue eyes shuttered over. "I wouldn't exactly say that, but it is indeed strange since it's not Chip who is going to be endangered."

The Captain reddened. "Admiral, you know I'm only delivering that device for ONI. Nothing's going to happen," he protested.

"I know nothing is supposed to happen, but unfortunately once you leave SEAVIEW with that device, you will have no backup."

"Admiral, I volunteered. Nothing will go wrong. You know that Davis wouldn't agree to anyone else taking it to him."

"Yes, I know, but I don't have to like it!"

"Anyway, that has nothing to do with Chip. He's my main concern right now. I don't deliver the device for another week."

"Yes, I suppose you're right. Jamieson is with him right now so maybe he'll be able to make a better determination once they've talked."

"But Jamie isn't a trained psychologist!"

"No, but he knows Chip and Chip trusts him so maybe that will be enough."

A look of bewilderment entered the brown-gold eyes. "Trust. I thought Chip trusted me. Why wouldn't he come and talk to me if something is bothering him? Why would he go to your cabin in the middle of the night?"

"I don't know, Lee, but let's wait until Jamie gives his report. After that, we'll talk again."

"Yes sir," the Skipper replied, but his gut twisted with doubt over his best friend's unhappiness.

The young officer was even more unhappy when Will Jamieson did give his report to Nelson and Crane in the Admiral's cabin. Taking a seat, he quickly filled them in on his talk with the Exec. "Chip says he doesn't know why he's started sleepwalking again, but, well, I'm not sure I believe him."

"Chip doesn't lie!" the brunet protested.

"Normally, I'd say that's true, but I think he at least has an idea what it is and just doesn't want to face it."

Lee glanced over at the Admiral whose face was impassive. Taking out a cigarette, Nelson lit it and then asked, "What do you plan to do?"

"What can I do short of hypnosis or drugs? He isn't in danger or a danger to SEAVIEW. Whatever it is, he obviously believes he can take care of it on his own."

"Dammit, Jamie, that isn't good enough! How do you know he's not in danger?" Crane started to pace around the cabin. "If he didn't remember going into the special compartment, how do you know he didn't tamper with it or what about the missile room, he could have done anything."

"But he didn't, Skipper. The Admiral's checked out the device. It hasn't been touched and the missile room is A-Ok."

"Maybe," the disturbed man muttered, "but I still don't like it."

"Lee, I have a suggestion," the scientist remarked. "Why don't you offer to spend the night with Chip? You can use one of the guest cabins that has two bunks. Maybe if he has the security of knowing someone is with him, he won't wander. You said he didn't seem to do it at Annapolis."

"You think. . .you think he'd agree to my doing that?'

"It's worth a try," Jamie conceded. "For all his bravado I think our Exec is truly worried."

Rubbing his sweating palms together, Lee nodded. "All right then if he's willing so am I. Maybe if we break the cycle of his wandering, it'll be over."

"Good. Go talk to him now, Lee. He needs the reassurance that we care what happens to him."

"Very well, sir, I just hope I'm up to the job of talking him into it."

"You are, lad, it can't be anymore difficult than taking on that mermaid and her boyfriend." Nelson's blue eyes twinkled.

Crane gave him a half-hearted grin and then straightened his shoulders as he headed aft to see the Exec.

*

Quietly Lee knocked on Chip's door and peeked his head in. "Okay to come in?"

For a moment the blond said nothing and then waved his friend into the cabin. "Guess Jamie told you everything?"

Lee nodded. "Some of it. The question is why didn't you tell me?'

Morton took a deep breath and let it out. "Sorry, I know I was derelict in my duty, but I really didn't think I was endangering SEAVIEW."

"That's not what I meant and you know it!" For an instant Crane let his snap-crackle-pop temper almost get the better of him, but then he backed off. "Chip, I know you would never endanger this boat or its crew, willingly, however, that's not the point. Just look at yourself, you resemble laundry that's just been put through the wringer."

"Jamie tried to give me a sedative, but I'm. . .I'm afraid to sleep. What if I wander off again? This time I might do something."

Lee smiled at the opening his friend had given him. "That's what I've come to talk to you about. The Admiral thinks that you and I should share one of the guest cabins tonight. That way I'll be around if you get up during the night."

"I don't think that's a good idea," Morton replied.

"Why not? It worked at the Academy, didn't it?"

Chip gave the brunet a strange look. "Did it?"

"What's that mean?"

Morton rubbed at his tired eyes. "It means I did sleepwalk a couple of times at Annapolis, but you just didn't know it!"

"What? When? I'm sure I would have heard you."

"You weren't there."

"What?"

"One time you were in the hospital. Remember when that one boxer landed a low blow and they kept you in overnight for observation? I woke up to find myself sitting under a tree in my pajamas. Damn cold too!"

"I had no idea."

"Do you think I'd tell you something like that? The other time was the week your mom took sick and you rushed home to be with her."

Lee sat down in the chair across from Chip. "I was gone for nearly a whole week. How. . .how many times. . . .?

"As best as I can tell, it was two or three nights. Admiral Nelson found me one time. I think that's why he wasn't surprised to discover me asleep in his cabin this time."

Crane sat there in silence but then said, "He didn't say anything."

"I guess he was being diplomatic. Didn't want to state the obvious."

"Obvious?"

"You know--I'm going looney. He'll probably ask me to resign when we return to Santa Barbara."

"Chip Morton! You may be a fool, but you're not crazy! Lots of people sleepwalk."

"Sure but they aren't the Executive Officer of the world's most powerful submarine. All I'd have to do is push the wrong button and who knows what disaster I could cause!" Morton's normally pale face flushed with anger and despair.

"Hey, none of that. We'll work this out. There has to be a reason why you've started wandering again. Do you know if you did it after graduation? I didn't see you much while I was on NAUTILUS and serving in the Navy."

"If I did, I don't remember and certainly no one told me I was getting up in the middle of the night."

"No one?"

Blue eyes looked up into brown. "Joe didn't tell I was sleepwalking if that's what you're asking."

Crane flinched. Chip Morton hadn't mentioned his former lover to Lee Crane since the disastrous night the brunet had 24-hour shore leave and had stopped by Chip's place--without calling ahead. Lt. Joseph Nichols had been tall and handsome, but less than friendly when Lee Crane put in his appearance. Perhaps the fact that he and Morton had been in bed together when the doorbell rang had colored his perception of the blond's best friend.

Crane's reaction hadn't been much friendlier. In fact the two officers had almost growled at each other. As a result, Lee had stayed less than a half-hour. Two weeks later Crane received a letter from Chip, saying that he was no longer with Nichols. Joe's name had never been mentioned again.

Seeing the hurt in the blue eyes, Lee moved closer. "Honestly, Chip I. . .I wasn't thinking about him. I. . .just, well, you haven't been celibate."

"Neither have you."

The Skipper stopped dead in his tracks. "We're not talking about my love life. I'm trying to help you. If you don't want help, just say so!"

"Lee, the only way you can help is not to deliver that device!"

Crane's face filled with bewilderment. "What. . .what does that have to do with this?"

"For a smart man, you are truly dense! Weren't you paying attention when I told you about the circumstances of my sleepwalking at Annapolis?"

"Of course I was, but I still don't. . . or maybe I do. It's something to do with me, isn't it?"

Morton moved his legs off the bunk so that he was sitting upright. He felt too vulnerable in a lying-down position. "When I did my wandering as a kid, it coincided with my dad's trips. He flew a great deal on business and I was terrified that one day he wouldn't come home. That's exactly what happened when I was thirteen. He took one of those small commuter planes and there was some kind of storm. It took years before I could even look at a plane," he admitted.

"I knew your father had passed away, but not the circumstances. Why didn't you say something?"

"What? 'I'm afraid of flying.' Besides, I got over that. It was difficult, but I wanted to fly FS1. I couldn't let you or the Admiral down!"

"You're a brave man, Chip."

The Exec shook his head. "No, I'm not. I just needed to be with you more than I was afraid of flying."

"Be with me?"

Chip sat there, head down. "I fell for you that first day at Annapolis, but I wasn't going to come on to a man so clearly destined for Admiral's stars. Instead, I determined to be the best friend you could have so I'd have a place in your life. The thing is I transferred some of my fear and consequent sleepwalking to you. When you were hurt or under stress, I guess it just came back. I didn't want to, but it was there."

"So while we were separated, it didn't bother you as much?"

"Right. As long as I didn't know you were in danger, I could keep it at bay."

"But I've been in danger several times during the six months I've been on board," Lee questioned.

A shiver ran down Morton's spine as he whispered, "I know. I. . .I set alarms for myself so that I couldn't get out of my cabin without waking up. This time I just. . .ignored the alarm and went anyway. I think I wanted to destroy that device, but deep down my sense of duty wouldn't let me."

"Chip, you know that I have to deliver that device. Davis is counting on me."

"My head tells me that, but the rest of me is afraid I'll never see you again."

"You don't have to worry about that Mr. Morton. Now that I know how you feel about me, there's nothing that's going to keep us apart."

Morton shivered again as warm arms pulled him close. "You don't have to humor me."

"Humor you? I love you. I realized that the night I saw you with Joe Nichols. I was so angry that he was where I wanted to be that Iacted like some jealous Neanderthal!"

"Hmm, I didn't think you were even that civilized!"

"What? He was just lucky I didn't let loose and tell him to take his hands off you."

"Why didn't you? When I wrote to you and said we had broken up, why did it take you three months to even send me a note?"

"I should have, but it was about that time I was recruited for ONI. They sent me on a mission and by the time I returned you were going out with Ellen."

"Ellen?"

"You remember, short with red hair and a giggle."

"Oh her! She was just a date, someone to talk to."

"But I thought you'd realized that you wanted to stick with women. I decided not to risk either of our careers. Pretty stupid, huh?"

The blond leaned close to whisper, "Criminally but I forgive you this once. The question is what happens next?"

"Well, courtesy of our commanding officer we are to share a cabin for the next few days so I think we should initiate the two bunks--one at a time!"

"Lee! While we're on board SEAVIEW?"

Crane pulled the other man into his arms for a kiss before letting him go. "Chip, SEAVIEW and my duty are very important to me, but as you said things can happen. I want us to be together as often as we can be and still do our duty. Is that all right with you?"

"All right? I'd like to jump you right now!"

"And I feel the same, but I think you need to sleep and have something to eat. That way you'll be prepared for an eventful night--and I don't mean sleepwalking!"

"Aye, aye, Captain. Just as long as you tuck me in."

Crane pushed the other man back on the bunk, covering him with his own body. Just the heat between them was arousing, but after a few kisses, the brunet backed off. "Don't want you to become too excited now or you won't be awake tonight!"

"Don't worry about that, lover, two days dead and I'd be ready for you!" the Exec assured him.

"Chip Morton, I am not into necrophilia!" Lee chuckled. "Now, I'm going up to the control room and tell the Admiral that after much ranting, raving, and threats on my part, you have reluctantly agreed to share the cabin tonight. He's always happy to have his genius confirmed."

"And tonight, lover, I intend to show you just what a genius I can be!" Morton waggled his eyebrows at Crane.

"Sounds wonderful and I'll be your own personal alarm."

"No need--with you in my arms, the ship could sink before I'd get out of bed!"

On that note Crane left the cabin, passing Patterson on guard duty in the corridor. For one second he stopped, smiled at the crew man and then told him, "I've changed my mind about you and Ski doing guard duty. You both have more important things to do so as of now you're back to regular watch hours."

Pat stammered his thank you in delight. For an officer, Lee Crane certainly was an understanding man.

 

The End

 

WALKING AFTER MIDNIGHT

I go out walking, after midnight
Out in the moonlight
Just like we used to do
I'm always walking, after midnight
Searching for you.

I walk for miles, along the highway
Well that's just my way
Of saying I love you
I'm always walking after midnight
Searching for you

I stop to see a weeping willow
Crying on his pillow
Maybe he's crying for me
And as the skies turn gloomy
Night winds whisper to me
I'm lonesome as I can be

I go out walking, after midnight
Out in the moonlight
Just hoping you may be
Somewhere a walking after midnight
Searching for me.