Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,124
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,352

Patsy Cline Series - I Fall To Pieces

Summary:

*Takes place before and during "The Lost Bomb"
Francis Sharkey/Philip Bradley

Work Text:

Patsy Cline Series - I Fall To Pieces
by S
firstcorpsanv@webtv.net

 

"Ethel, this has been a wonderful day."

Francis Sharkey looked over at the man who shared his bed. "It's been that way for me too, Doc. I guess we were just lucky that I had some shore leave before our next mission." His voice was husky from the loving that the other had man had just given him.

"I know," Dr. Philip Bradley admitted. "Just think how easily we could have missed each other if you hadn't been at the airport."

The CPO flushed, "Yeah, sure was lucky the Admiral asked me to take his sister to the airport. Coulda fallen over when I saw you. Big man now, doctor 'n all that."

"I'm still just a man, Ethel, with needs like any other. Remember when we were kids?"

"Sure do, but that was just innocent. You know whose is bigger 'n that kind of stuff!"

"Oh, Sharkey, you are so innocent. Even then I knew what I wanted."

"Me?" The Chief asked breathlessly.

"You--but of course when you moved to Brooklyn from the Lower East Side I didn't think I'd ever see you again!"

"Me too," Sharkey confessed. "'Course it didn't help when I got sick from diving in the East River. Mom was kinda overprotective after that. Didn't help none she called me 'Ethel'."

"Do you mind that I call you Ethel? I won't if you don't want me to." Bradley asked.

"You can call me whatever you want. I've missed hearing you say my name."

"I wish I had known where you were then. I spent all my time studying and getting my degrees. It was a lonely time. Sometimes I wasn't sure I could go on."

Sharkey patted the other man's bare arm. "That's all over now and you'll never be lonely again."

Phil Bradley lay back down on the bed and closed his eyes. "I. . .I wish that could be true."

"Why can't it be?" Sharkey pleaded. "Once this mission is over, we can still see each other. I'll ask the Admiral for more free time. Nobody knows him better 'n I do 'n he'll do what I ask."

"Just how well do you know him? Bradley's voice teamed with jealousy.

"Easy there, Doc. He's got someone, in fact maybe two someones, but he's always got plenty of time for me. We talk about old times. He's crazy about my stories."

"You. . .you didn't tell him we know each other, did you?"

"No, but why shouldn't I? I'm proud of you."

"It's. . .it's just that, well, my reputation is very important to me and you know how the Navy is!"

Sharkey's head bobbed up and down. "Sure, sure, I know. I won't say anything. You can count on me."

"Oh, Francis, I know I can count on your. . .discretion. When I arrive on SEAVIEW, we'll just pretend that it's the first time we've seen each other since we were kids. Is that okay with you?"

"Anything you want, sweetheart. By the way, there's this place called the ballast tank access where we can have some privacy if we need it. Not sure I can keep my hands off you for long and I guess it wouldn't look good for me to be seen in your cabin."

Bradley sighed. "No, I suppose not, but we can have coffee together."

"Sure, that'd be nice. Pretend like we're catchin' up on old times."

Phil leaned over to put his arms around his lover. "I'd better get dressed now. I have to report on board SEAVIEW in an hour. You know how Nelson is. I don't want to be late. This is one of the most important things I've ever done for my country, you know."

"I know. I'm just glad we could have this time together first. When the mission's over we'll have a lot more time to talk."

"We sure will. Now, let me get dressed."

"Wish you didn't have to," Sharkey fluttered his eyelashes at the other man. "I'll wait a bit 'n take a shower. Don't want anyone to be suspicious. See you later, lover!"

Philip Bradley dressed and then blew a kiss to the man on the bed before leaving.

VVVVVVVVVV

The mission went wrong from the start. The plane carrying the cesium bomb was shot down and it was up to Dr. Philip Bradley to disarm it. Unknown to the men of SEAVIEW, the submarine VULCAN was at the ready to steal the device from Nelson and company. Crane and Kowalski, in an effort to divert VULCAN from her evil purpose were captured, but once again in his single-minded determination, Harriman Nelson saved the world by disarming the bomb personally.

The extermination of the VULCAN completed the mission with much joy and jubilation on the part of all, except for Francis Ethelbert Sharkey. Tragically, Bradley had revealed himself to be a traitor, collaborating with the enemy to lead them to the bomb. Crushed by the device, Sharkey's lover was dead. As for Sharkey, his only comfort was the knowledge that no one knew about his true relationship with the traitor.

As soon as the great submarine docked in Santa Barbara, Sharkey took off for a bar where he quietly fell to pieces.

 

The End

 

I FALL TO PIECES - Howard and Cochran

I fall to pieces
Each time I see you again
I fall to pieces
How can I be just your friend

You want me to act like we've never kissed
You want me to forget, pretend we've never met
And I've tried and I've tried but I haven't as yet
You walk by, and I fall to pieces

I fall to pieces
Each time someone speaks your name
I fall to pieces
Time only adds to the flame

You tell me to find someone else to love
Someone who'll love me, too, the way you used to do
But each time I go out with someone new
You walk by and I fall to pieces

(I fall to pieces)
Each time someone speaks your name
(I fall to pieces)
Time only adds to the flame

You tell me to find someone else to love
Someone who'll love me too, the way you used to do
But each time I go out with someone new
You walk by and I fall to pieces.