Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
582
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
7
Hits:
1,049

Back to the Good Times

Summary:

David is tired of sleeping alone.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

David rubbed his eyes as he looked at the clock.  It said 5:00am, signaling another sleepless night for the FBI agent.

            “Crap,” he muttered, “not again.”  David hadn’t been able to sleep since Colby went to jail, collapsing when his body couldn’t go any further.  He missed Colby’s warm body next to him, wrapping itself around him possessively. More than anything he missed Colby waking him up with kisses.

            Two hours later David walked into the FBI building, expecting to be the only one since he was an hour early.  Colby was sitting at his desk, reading a letter.  The same letter he’d been reading for the past three days, since Don had handed it to him. Frankly, David was afraid that Colby would take the job offer that he knew was in the letter.  With him here, David had a chance of getting back the relationship; if he took the job then David would lose that hope.

            Colby looked up as David set his bag down, his eyes flicked over David’s face before returning to the letter he held. “I’m not taking the job.” He said.  His voice had a final tone. David was surprised, but at least he still had a chance. “Washington is too cold for me.” Colby said by way of explanation.

            “I thought you liked snow.” David said.  It was true; Colby had once told David that winter was all about the snow.  Colby smiled at David’s words.

            “I didn’t expect you to remember that.”  Colby looked up again, “But then again, you never do what I expect you to.” His voice was tinged with sadness, and his face dropped visibly.  David cringed.

            “I’m sorry.” David thought; he knew he should say it out loud, but it still hurt.  The man he thought loved him, that he loved, had lied to him. David didn’t know what Colby had lied about, and he didn’t want to be hurt anymore.

            Colby turned back to the letter, folding it before returning it to the envelope.  After a second of hesitation, he threw the letter in the trash.  A few minutes later Don rushed in, talking a mile a minute about a new case.  David sighed, realizing that it was going to be a long day on top of his less than restful night.  Colby’s own sigh mirrored his; David realized maybe sleeping alone wasn’t causing only him sleepless nights.

            Three days passed before Colby told the rest of the team his news, Don and Megan were obviously happy, but the happiness was somewhat colored with disapproval when David didn’t say anything.  Colby was still talking to Don about getting his things back when David left the lure on his desk lamp.  The lure held good memories for both of them, of long weekend trips camping and just enjoying each others company, and hopefully it would help them get back to good times.

            “Night.” As he left David threw the single word over his shoulder, knowing that Colby was looking at the lure.  He didn’t expect a response, not today. When he got to the apartment, he collapsed.  His body was beyond exhausted from two more sleepless nights and three active days of chasing suspects and following leads.  He never heard the door open, or close.  He didn’t even wake up when a cold body molded itself to his frame.  He woke up the next day to kisses though, and he felt more rested than he had in months.

 

TBC

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author musingdarkly.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.