Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2007-10-30
Words:
6,990
Chapters:
12/12
Comments:
2
Kudos:
40
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
5,803

A Walk Through the Fire

Summary:

Fandom: Barney Miller
Pairing: Wojo/Dietrich
Summary: Captain Miller discovers something about two of his detectives after a tragedy.
Series/Sequel: I don't know how far this will go yet.
Disclaimer: I don't own any of these characters. This is just for fun and I'm not making any money. Please don't sue me.
Warnings: violence

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter Text

 

 



A Walk Through the Fire
by Python

Dietrich smiled to himself. He looked over at Harris and Levit. Harris was busy trying to make sure things were straight with the blue units, "You know what you guys supposed to do right Levit?"

"I know. I know. We've done this a million times before," Levit said.

"That's right," Harris answered. He looked back at Dietrich and rolled his eyes. He'd always had problems with Levit and didn't mind leaving him with Dietrich, "You gonna stay back here with them?"

Dietrich nodded, "Yeah. You can take the front."

"Ok. Wait for me to go at the front. I'll see you inside," Harris said and disappeared.

Dietrich, Levit, and three other officers stood outside the back door to a rundown two-story house, waiting for the signal to move in. They were there to arrest Michael Santana, who was a major player in the cities drug trade. In the back of his mind, Dietrich wondered what Wojo was doing. He saw Wojo's goofy smile that was always there for him. Then he pushed that out of his mind. They all needed to concentrate on the job at hand. Santana had evaded arrest before and killed several officers.

"Don't you ever get nervous?" Levit whispered to Dietrich.

Dietrich smiled at him, "No. What would be the point?"

"It would be nice to know if you were human like the rest of us," Levit answered under his breath.

"Oh I'm human all right," Dietrich said and pulled out his gun.

Levit looked him over and then nodded.

They heard Harris banging on the front door through the flimsy walls of the house. A few seconds later they heard the front door broken in. Dietrich motioned to the officers with him and they broke in the back door.

They moved into the house and found themselves in the kitchen. There didn't appear to be anyone there. Harris poked his head in from the living room, "All clear here."

"Here to," Dietrich said.

The officers spread out and moved through the rest of the rooms. They didn't find anyone amd began searching for any signs of where the suspects had gone.

"Is the basement clean Levit?" Dietrich asked, looking down the dark stairs.

"Yes sir. Some uniforms were already down there. They didn't see anything."

"Well let's see what's down there," Dietrich answered. The steps creaked as he made his way down the stairs. He turned on the light to find an empty lab, "Charming," he said and turned to Levit, "Go tell Harris to come down here."

"All right."

Dietrich watched Levit go and then holstered his gun. He examined what was left of the lab. He stiffened when he heard the sound of a gun cocking behind him.

"Turn around," a gruff voice said.

Dietrich turned and saw a man with long, greasy hair leveling a shot gun at him. He had never seen the man before. He probably wasn't one of Sanatana's top men. Dietrich ignored his fear and the twist in his gut, "And they told me the basement was clean."

"A man who doesn't panic. I like that," the man answered, "And as for the basement being clean, I know of a few places to hide."

"So what are you going to do?"

"Shoot you."

"But there are a lot of officers upstairs. How do you think you're going to get out?" Dietrich asked.

"I'm not getting out," the man answered.

Great, Dietrich thought, this guy has a death wish. Then officers filled the stairwell.

"Just put the gun down and no one will get hurt," Harris said.

The man grinned at all of the guns pointed at him, "You don't understand. I have to do this. It's what he wants." Then he turned back to Dietrich, "I'm sorry."

Before Dietrich knew it, he was on the floor. He felt a growing pain in his chest. He was vaguely aware of other shots, of the police shooting the man. He felt Harris kneel down next to him. "Dietrich can you hear me?"

Dietrich heard him but his voice sounded a million miles away. He fought to stay conscious but felt himself slipping. He saw Wojo's goofy grin again before everything went black.

end part 1