Actions

Work Header

Making Plans

Summary:

Alan wants to make plans for the Jewish High Holy Days.

Work Text:

Making Plans—

Yom Kippur, Dad?” Don Eppes asked. “Really?”

“Yes and Rosh Hashanah,” Alan Eppes said, taking off his glasses and looking at Don.

Don sat down on the couch across from his father. “But, we haven’t done that in years and years.”

“Maybe it’s about time, then.”

“Why?”

Yamim Noraim is about seeking and giving forgiveness.”

Don frowned, trying to remember what those words meant, then the rest of what his father said sunk in. “Forgiveness,” he repeated quietly.

Alan nodded. “I think it would be a good thing to do together as a family.”

Don grimaced. Between the fight about the gun lesson two weeks ago and Nena starting school last week, it had been a tough time with his family. Will was still on the outs with Colby and didn’t seem to be trying to change that. Since Alan had admitted his problems with their work with law enforcement, everyone had been cool to him. Nena was tense and edgy, more than could be explained by starting kindergarten. She was like a repeated bombing victim waiting for the next explosion.

As it happened, they had Nena for the next two weeks and weekends, because Jenny was on a trip. Maybe it was a sign.

“I think you’re right,” Don said at last. “What would you like to do?”

Alan blew out a breath. “Okay, this is what I’m thinking.”

 

That night, Alan set the platter of steaks down on the dinner table and addressed the group as he forked out steaks.

“Don probably told you a little about what I’d like to do for the Jewish High Holy Days,” Alan said, putting the smallest steak on Nena’s plate then turning to the others.

“I don’t know that much about Jewish traditions.” He looked at Colby and Will. “As you might guess, as a family we were never that religious. It wasn’t a conscious choice, it just turned out that way. Their mother was the one who grew up with all the religion in her family, not me. So, I don’t really know what I’m doing here. I’ve just read some stuff online and in books. I’m going to pick and choose the parts I want, and probably end up doing some things wrong, but traditions have to start somewhere.”

“We’re in, Dad,” Don said encouragingly.

Charlie said, “Us, too.”

They all knew this wasn’t about traditions or religion as much as bonding as a family. Alan could only hope that this would help them all find a measure of peace and forgiveness. Perhaps even a small creeping of godliness into their lives. God knows they need it, we all need it, he thought wryly.

“I know it’s short notice,” Alan said, “but can you get this Thursday off?” Everyone looked at each other then slowly nodded.

“I already checked and the school will give Nena Thursday and Friday off, since Rosh Hashanah is actually two days, but I think just Thursday is good.

“On Wednesday night, we’ll meet before sundown and light candles, then have dinner. For Thursday, I found a local synagogue that does a ‘Beginner’s Service’ for non-members. It’s at 10AM. Just dress nice. After the service – oh, and make sure you have a good breakfast, it might be a long service – we’ll come back here and I’ll have lunch ready. Then we’ll go on a walk to a park and do tashlich, which is basically throwing crumbs into running water. We’ll talk more about the rest of the week then, okay?

“We’re not going to go full on and do everything, like the fasting and stuff. We’ll take it small. Maybe next year we can plan ahead more.”

He smiled around at his family, seeing the interest and commitment in their faces. He relaxed a little. Maybe this would work, after all and they could start rebuilding what they’d all torn apart. “Now, who wants a baked potato?”

Series this work belongs to: