Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
413
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
943

Dear Jeannie

Summary:

Wolverine's note and its repercussions. Ultimate.

Work Text:

Dear Jeannie
by Eiluned



~Jean's telepathy~
*Xavier's telepathy*



POV (Jean)

Feeling guilty. I hate guilt. It's a terrible emotion, one that's useless except to make us miserable.

I'm feeling guilty about what the Professor had to do to Bobby. But it was necessary, I tell myself. No matter how sorry for Bobby I feel. No normal life. I know how that feels, too. Once it gets out that you're a mutant, you can kiss any kind of normal life goodbye, and it sucks to be a teenager without any friends.

I stare at the house of cards in front of me for a second, then pull it apart with my mind, rebuilding it upside down, balanced only on four cards. My control with my telekinesis has gotten very good, very fine. I can almost pick a lock. I stand back to admire my creation, putting my hands in the back pockets of my shorts.

Paper crinkles against my left hand, distracting me. I pull a folded piece of paper out of my pocket, confused. How did it get there? The card house wobbles slightly as I unfold it.

"Dear Jeannie...

I want you to know that I never meant to hurt you or make you scared. I found something at the school and with you that I never thought I'd ever have... Something that I never knew I could feel. I hate to leave it because I don't think I'll ever find it again, but if my leaving is what will make you happy, then I'll do it for you. I don't want to hurt you any more than I already have. Good luck.

-Logan"

He must have slipped it in my pocket this morning. He was always good at sneaky stuff. The house of cards crumbles, the bottom of it dropping out. It reacts the same way I do; I feel my stomach drop with guilt and hurt and anger at myself. I could run down to the garage and make sure that he's gone, but I know that he is. He would never pull something like that, threatening to leave to try to make me rethink my bitch stance.

I feel miserable. I feel guilt.

~Excuse me, Professor. Are you still on mind?~

*Of course, Jean. What's wrong?*

~Do you think I was being unreasonable when I said Wolverine was a deceitful, boorish lowlife and I hoped he burned in a thousand hells?~

End
Date finished: 20 August 2001