Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
679
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
1,079

There should have been laughter

Summary:

Fandom: Torchwood
Characters: Jack/Jack (as James Harper)
Genre: pure schmoop.
Rating/Warnings: PG13 for m/m kissing.
Summary: I was watching the behind the scenes footage of Captain Jack Harkness and well the title says it all really.
Submitted through http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CompleteKingdomOfSlash

Work Text:

 

 

There should have been laughter
by Lilithangel


He wished he could have given Jack laughter on that last night.

Jack had given him such a gift when they danced. Risking his career everything for that one moment and that one glorious kiss without any knowledge of what would happen the following day. He knew though and he just wished he could have given Jack laughter as well.

Jack left the dance hall as soon as the light faded. He didn't know what he was expecting to find out there but it was easier than the bafflement from the guests and his men.

"Hey," a voice said from the shadows.

"I thought you had to go," he replied trying to keep the pleasure out of his voice.

"I came back," James said stepping forward, "remember I told you to live each day as if it was your last? Well I decided to take my own advice."

"What do you mean?"

"Come with me." James took his hand, "I know you have to fly tomorrow and need your sleep but you... I need to do this."

"Where are we going?" he asked letting James drag him along.

"Somewhere, anywhere," James laughed, "here." They turned a corner and James dragged him to a boarded up house.

"What's here?" he asked as James unlocked the door and led him inside.

"A moment in time just for us," James said kissing him softly.

In the living room there were candles burning, wine and food Jack hadn't seen in a lot of years.

"Where did you get all this stuff?" he asked as James opened the wine.

"Called in a few favours," James replied, "sit and relax and just enjoy."

And for several hours they did just that. They drank wine and James fed him fruit, cheese and chocolate while telling him outrageous stories that left him laughing so hard it hurt.

All the time James looked at him as if he was the most precious thing in the world. It should have made him uncomfortable but it didn't.

Finally the laughter softened and the bottle was empty. James took the glass from him and entwined their fingers like they had been all that time ago at the dance hall.

Then there were kisses. Sweet hot kisses that made him wonder if he would be able to feel his feet ever again. So different to kissing a girl and so right he didn't know how he had denied it for so long.

When he wasn't sure what would happen next what he was even ready for James simply held him. Stretched them out on the sofa and held him tight.

He woke still in James' arms as the first hints of dawn pushed through the cracks in the boards on the windows.

James was awake watching him and smiling with just a hint of redness around the eyes.

"I guess it's my turn to talk about duty," he said after a soft good morning kiss.

"I guess," James agreed as they stood and put themselves to rights.

"Will I see you again?" it wasn't the thing to say but everything felt so raw he didn't know what else to say.

"Who knows what the future holds," James said with a twisted smile, "you should go. I'll take care of the mess."

They walked to the door hand in hand. James stopped him before opening the door and took his face in hand.

"Thank you for staying with me, thank you for the laughter and thank you for trusting me." James let his hands rest on Jack's chest and kissed him again.

This time it was James who snapped a salute as Jack left blinking slightly at the harsh morning light.

He waited until Jack had disappeared into the street then walked up the stairs to the landing where a blue box stood with the door slightly ajar.

"Where you tempted to just bring him inside and damn the time lines?" the Doctor asked him.

"Every second," Jack confessed. "Thank you for giving us the night."

"No need. You were right there needed to be laughter. Time to go home then?"

"Time to go home," Jack agreed.


END
abchainey@xtra.co.nz

http://www.livejournal.com/users/lilithbint