Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of The Injury Series
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
641
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
19
Hits:
1,593

A Minor Injury

Summary:

Fandom: The Sentinel
Characters: Jim Ellison, Blair Sandburg
Genre: Gen
Rating: G
Archive: Yes
Summary: During an arrest, Blair is injured.
Warnings: Blair is a cop.
Author's Notes: Thanks to Lyn for the beta. This was written in response to 15 minute fic on LJ. The word was limp and I immediately thought of Blair <g>

Work Text:

 

 

A Minor Injury
by Debbie



Jim tried not to smirk when Blair limped through the doors of Major Crime. It wasn't even funny how it happened and Jim knew he only smirked because he was just grateful the injury hadn't been more serious.

*******************

Four days before, the two of them went out on a call to a sighting of a couple of drug runners they had been looking for. Patrol units spotted the suspects entering a local bar in downtown Cascade.

Jim took the front with one officer and told Blair to take the back with another officer. The suspects noticed Jim when he walked inside the bar. Jim could see the suspects making a beeline for the back entrance, despite him trying to keep up with them. He contacted Blair by radio to alert him that the suspects were coming his way.

Jim kept following the suspects and heard the commotion as they went out the back door. There was an expletive filled rant from Blair and the distinct voice of the officer with him, telling the suspects to halt or he would shoot. Jim smiled. These guys weren't getting away again.

When Jim and the officer with him made it to the alley behind the bar, the two suspects were against the wall and having their rights read to them. Blair was trying to get to his feet unsuccessfully and Jim moved over to his side to help him.

"Are you okay, Sandburg?"

Jim saw the glare Blair gave him. "What kind of stupid question is that, Jim? No, I'm not okay. Those two idiots knocked me down when I tried to arrest them. I think something may be broken."

"Then don't move, Chief. I'll get an ambulance here to take you to the hospital."

"I don't want to go to the hospital, Jim." There was a slight whine in his voice.

"Sorry, Chief. If something is broken, you need to have it checked out."

Jim noticed Blair trying to get to his feet again, but he grimaced in pain and sank back to the ground.

"Stay put, Sandburg! I'll get an ambulance."

"Right, Jim."

*******************

Luckily, nothing was broken. The doctor wrapped Blair's ankle, telling him to stay off it for several days and to use crutches if he needed to walk anywhere. Blair promised the doctor he'd follow orders.

He used crutches for the first couple of days, but found they were cumbersome. He would always be in the way, getting on and off the elevator. He couldn't drive and had to rely on Jim to taxi him to wherever he needed to be. The injury confined him to desk duty and he offered to do the other detectives' reports.

********************

Now, he limped from place to place, his movements slowed by the injury. He was returning from Records, getting a report he needed to look over. Jim offered to make the run for him, but Blair refused the offer. He had to move on his own, even though it hurt to do so.

He sank down into the chair behind the desk and opened the report folder. All of a sudden, he looked up and over at Jim, seeing the smirk still on his partner's face.

"You think this is funny, Jim?"

"No, Chief, not at all. I'm sorry. It's just that I'm so grateful the injury wasn't more serious than it turned out to be."

Blair could hear the sincerity in Jim's voice.

"You're right, Jim. It could have been worse. I could be in a cast or I might have hit my head, getting a concussion. They might have shot and killed me. Then you would have lost the best partner you've ever had."

"You're right. I could have lost you. No more smirks. I'll just be thankful you only have a limp."

end

Series this work belongs to: