Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
417
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,112

Ficlet: Teepee

Summary:

answer to 1 word challenge, using "Teepee." -- O'Rourke/Parmenter

Work Text:

Sergeant O’Rourke woke yet again and grunted softly. He was wrapped in a blanket with his hat pulled down over his face. He was on his side facing away from his source of annoyance.

O’Rourke heard a stumble and hiss. He squeezed his eyes shut and took a deep breath. In his head, he counted to ten before rolling on his back. He pushed his hat up and lit the lamp.

The dim light momentarily startled him and Captain Parmenter tripped over his own bunched up blanket. He landed with his top half covering O’Rourke’s chest. He worried his lower lip and refused to meet O’Rourke’s eyes. “Sorry, Sergeant.”

O’Rourke propped himself up on his elbows. He sighed ruefully. “Don’t worry about it, Sir. I was expecting you.”

Parmenter squirmed but made no move to get off O’Rourke. “I apologize but I just can’t get comfortable here.”

O’Rourke smirked. “First night in a teepee, Sir?”

Parmenter shuddered. “Yeah. The way I can hear the wind rattle outside. It’s eerie.”

O’Rourke chuckled. “And I’m sure Wild Eagle’s ghost stories before bed didn’t help.”

Parmenter tried to glare defensively but he looked more like a petulant child. “Who knew he’d be such a masterful storyteller…I know it may sound stupid. After all, I’ve been through a war, it’s just that….” His voice trailed off helplessly.

“I understand completely,” O’Rourke said soothingly. “The story of the dead wandering tribe of warriors cursed to roam the earth got me the first time, too. And you should have seen Agarn. He wouldn’t sleep with the light off for three months.”

Parmenter sat up and shuddered again. “And, in my quarters, there’s a fireplace.”

O’Rourke arched his eyebrows. “Janie’s in the next teepee. I’m sure she’d be willing to warm you up.”

Parmenter blushed. “Please, Sergeant, not in front of me.”

O’Rourke opened his arms. His voice was low. “You really should explain it to her one of these days.”

Parmenter snuggled in against O’Rourke’s side. He rested his head on O’Rourke’s shoulder and sighed in contentment. “I know, but she won’t listen. Maybe she’ll listen to you.”

O’Rourke wrapped his arms and blanket around Parmenter. “With all due respect, Captain, I’ll have to say no. That’s way beyond the call of duty.”

Parmenter raised his head enough to pout at O’Rourke. “You--”

O’Rourke interrupted Parmenter by kissing him softly. When he pulled away, he was pleased to see Parmenter’s eyes closed and mouth hanging open. “Go to sleep.”

Parmenter didn’t bother opening his eyes. He smiled shyly and put his head back down. “Okay.”

O’Rourke laughed and blew out the lamp.