Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
8,309
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,233

One Step Forward Three Steps Back

Summary:

Rommie's using her "cleaned" identity to keep Beka at bay.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

 

One Step Forward, Three Steps Back
by nancy


"Andromeda! What the hell just happened?" Dylan demanded, absently rubbing what was sure to be a bruised hip later. Sleep and the accompanying fuzziness faded quickly as he rolled to his feet from the floor where he'd been shaken a few seconds ago.

"I'm not sure Dylan. I'm checking now."

Dylan pulled on his uniform as quickly as possible wondering what seemed wrong with Rommie's response. Then he figured it out. She'd called him by his first name. That hadn't happened since Harper had removed the virus almost three weeks ago. Since then, she'd always been sure to call him either Captain or Captain Hunt. In return, Dylan had taken to calling her by her full name, Andromeda. Filing it away for later, Dylan rushed out of his quarters to the bridge where Beka was also just arriving. Her blond hair was mussed and her shirt buttoned wrong, indicating that she, too, had been woke from a sound sleep, though her blue eyes were just as awake and alert as he was.

"Nice wake up call," she greeted wryly, taking up position in the navigator's chair.

He flashed her half a grin and took his own seat. "Status Andromeda."

The ship's Artificial Intelligence appeared instantly, in a holographic image. The darkly exotic woman was dressed in uniform, as she almost always was, and appeared immaculate. Andromeda Ascendant, formerly Rommie for short and now simply Andromeda, faced Dylan to give her report. In an even, confident tone, she said, "There are massive and focused sonic waves bombarding the outer hull. It is difficult to tell where the waves are coming from but they don't appear to be doing any damage."

"Don't appear or aren't?" Dylan demanded tightly.

"For now they are simply rolling over the hull, rather like ocean waves. The first crest hit us full on, causing the initial disturbance. I have since shifted position to disperse the force hitting us in a more even fashion."

Dylan glanced over to Beka who shrugged. His first officer, like Rommie, had been remarkably quiet over the last few weeks. Her snappy comment a few minutes ago was the first real sign of life he'd seen in too long. Wondering briefly if it indicated something wrong with his psyche that he missed her sarcastic and insubordinate remarks, Dylan returned his attention to his holographic AI. "So you don't believe it to be harmful."

"Not right now," Andromeda confirmed.

"Continue to monitor and try to figure out where they come from. If there's been some sort of spatial disturbance, we should know about it," Dylan ordered.

"Of course."

‘Was that a trace of irritation?' Dylan wondered as the hologram disappeared. Dylan certainly hoped so. It had been a long three weeks without the woman who had come to be his best friend over the years. Dylan relied on Rommie, not this tepid AI personality who hadn't taken a bit of self-direction in three weeks. He knew that Harper had had to remove certain portions of Rommie along with the virus but this was getting ridiculous. Maybe, with a hint of trouble now in the air, maybe he would finally get his friend back.

Dylan heard the bridge door open and turned to find Harper walking onto the deck, speaking of the devil. The small engineer's hair was sticking out in more places than usual but that could be because he'd been running his hands through it while working on something. Dylan knew Harper didn't sleep a lot, though with the almost wired way the man lived, no one would guess it.

"Did I miss the party?" Harper asked with a grin.

Oh yeah. He looked wide-awake all right, without any trace of sleepiness. Not that Dylan would know what he looked like sleepy, much as he wanted...shaking that thought firmly away, he said, "Apparently we just got hit by a sonic wave."

"Yeah? Cool! Natural I take it," Harper asked in delight.

Dylan shrugged. "We don't know as yet. Andromeda is investigating."

Harper's face fell slightly at his statement, his eyes clouding over a little. "Gotcha. So no bad guys attacking or anything."

"Not right now," Dylan confirmed. "Disappointed?"

"Who, me? Nah. It's just been a little quiet lately. Thought maybe the bad guys got tired of sitting it out," Harper joked, leaning against a nearby rail.

"I'm heading off to bed since nothing seems to be happening," Beka interrupted abruptly, stepping out of the navigation chair.

Dylan sighed faintly but nodded. There was no sense in all of them being up after all. Though both Rev and Tyr were conspicuously absent. He figured that, somehow, Trance would know nothing was wrong and so not come up to see what was going on. But Tyr was the suspicious type, he should be here even if Rev was off meditating somewhere.

"She's been too quiet lately," Harper commented when the bridge door closed silently behind Beka.

"I know what you mean," Dylan said. "Though I can't believe that I actually miss it."

Grinning, Harper punched him lightly in the shoulder. "Just means that we're growing on you."

And then some, he thought. Aloud, Dylan commented, "Any idea what's wrong?"

First Harper shook his head then he nodded it. "No, yeah, well kinda."

"Kind of?" Dylan repeated.

"I don't know for sure but I think it's because Rommie is just Andromeda now." Harper shrugged. "I hadn't even noticed that they'd gotten that close but she was really upset when, you know."

Dylan nodded, knowing Harper was referring to the virus and observed, "Well, maybe she's getting over it. She did almost make a sarcastic remark just now."

"Yeah? Well there you go then. Beka can bounce back from anything. I just wish she'd let me know what she needs bouncing back from," Harper sighed.



***



‘I don't think I'm going to get over this,' Beka thought, falling back into bed with a groan. It had been three weeks and still she kept looking for signs that Rommie was getting back to normal. That the warm and incredible woman she'd fallen for was going to show up. It was so stupid. All because of some damned computer virus, Harper had wiped out all of Rommie's emotions. Not on purpose of course. Harper had done his best to see that the antivirus erased only the bug in Rommie's system.

That, unfortunately, hadn't happened.

So now Beka was forced to deal with an AI who looked a lot like the woman who had been an irritatingly calm counterpoint to her own usually reckless behavior. An AI that looked a lot like the woman who had somehow worked her way through all Beka's defenses to become a valued friend and crewmate and then...something more. The worst thing about the whole situation was that Beka and Rommie hadn't even had time to do more than admit there was the possibility that they both wanted more.

Lying in her bed, Beka shifted restlessly as she remembered the few kisses they had shared. They had been intense and sweet, the most honest form of communicating that Beka had participated in for a very long time. She easily remembered being in Rommie's strong embrace and the subtle scent of leather and something uniquely Rommie. Groaning again, Beka turned over, punching her pillow. "Dammit! Rommie, can't you try and come back to me? I miss you."



***



Rommie never eavesdropped. Well, she tried never to eavesdrop. The problem with being the ship's AI, however, was that she had instant and simultaneous access to every corner and crevice of what was, in essence, her body: the ship. Crew's quarters were off limits. That was a given even if it hadn't been programmed into her matrix. The bridge, however, was another matter altogether and even though she ‘left' Harper and Dylan alone on it, she couldn't help but hear their comments regarding Beka.

It was disheartening that in trying to do what she knew was best for her friend, that Rommie had hurt Beka instead. Or was that as well? Shaking her head in irritation, Rommie returned the bulk of her attention to the curious sonic waves running over her. It was actually a rather pleasant sensation. Something like what she imagined swimming in an ocean would be like. Normally space felt like nothing. It was just there. But now there was a subtle tease to it, playing over her hull.

Shivering slightly with sensation, Rommie began a search for the source of the waves. As she told Dylan, they weren't harmful, just curious. Since they were coming at her, the direction and source were obvious. Scanning through the information on the B'kai System, Rommie discovered that, at least in the time of the Systems Commonwealth, the B'kai were not space-faring people, but through choice. They much preferred to live on their world, content to remain on their own.

A lot can happen in 300 years, however, and it was plain that despite their earlier insistence that they wanted nothing to do with technology that had almost brought about their ruin once before, someone was fooling around with it now. Knowing that Dylan would want to check it out further, in person, Rommie set course for the B'kai. It would be a standard solar day before reaching their destination so Rommie began compiling all the information that she could on the B'kai for her report to Dylan in the morning.



***



"The B'kai? Are you nuts?" Harper exclaimed.

Taken aback by Harper's agitation, Rommie turned to him and asked, "Is there some reason that we shouldn't approach them?"

"Other than the fact that they're the scum of the universe who live to rob, rape and pillage? Nah. Not a one," Harper replied.

Blinking in surprise, Rommie looked at Dylan inquiringly. He shrugged minutely. Nodding slightly in reply, Rommie glanced back at Harper who was pacing the area tightly. In a confident voice, Rommie said, "I'm sure that whatever the B'kai have done in the recent past does not mean that we won't be able to communicate with them and explain..."

"You don't communicate with the B'kai," Beka broke in, entering the bridge area.

Though she had, of course, noticed Beka's arrival in her peripheral sensors, the flat, hostile tone in the other woman's voice was more of a surprise than Harper's agitation. When Rommie looked at Dylan, she saw him leaning lazily against the wall, arms crossed over his chest as he gazed at his first officer.

Mildly, Dylan asked, "Why not?"

"Because if you try, they cut you down then look for your family to murder just for your presumption," Beka replied. "If you think you can reason with them, you're just looking to make trouble for all of us."

"We can't let these waves continue unabated and uncontrolled," Rommie said neutrally. "While not damaging to us, for lesser ships in the vicinity, it could cause quite substantial, if secondary, systems damage."

"You said they weren't harmful," Beka pointed out.

"Upon further examination of the phenomenon, I discovered that unshielded vessels will encounter serious trouble with their communications and navigation's arrays," Rommie informed her.

"That's their problem," Beka dismissed.

Dylan took that moment to comment, "If it's hazardous to the population at large, it's our problem."

Looking at him intently, blue eyes narrowed, Beka said, "Trust me on this on Dylan. You don't want to get involved. It's just going to be a world of trouble."

"I believe that we're already involved given that we passed into B'kai space an hour ago," Rommie said. There was something odd about Beka's behavior. She could tell that Dylan thought so as well from his body language. "We should be approaching the B'kai homeworld in approximately two hours at current speed. Ample time for them to know we're coming."

Lips pressed tightly together, Beka snapped, "Obviously my opinion doesn't matter here so go ahead. Enter hostile territory without a care in the world."

Rommie stared after Beka only until she saw Dylan move to go after his first officer. Without thinking, she said, "Wait Dylan."

Turning to her in surprise, Dylan asked, "What is it?"

Cursing the slip of her tongue, or she would if she had one, Rommie said, "I don't think Commander Valentine is in the mood for her Captain to give her the third degree about what's wrong with her."

"And you care because?" Dylan prompted slowly.

Clasping her hands behind her back, Rommie lied dispassionately, "I don't. I am simply looking at the best way to maintain the smooth running of command."

"I see. And you think the best way to do that would be?"

"To let Commander Valentine cool off before prying about her obviously personal grudge against the B'kai," Rommie replied.

"I see. Well. Thank you for your input Andromeda but I think I can manage my crew," Dylan said. "Unless you've got more reason than just that?"

Rommie maintained her silence, trying to ignore the piercing look her friend gave her. She'd slipped up, blurting out his first name like that, twice in a daily cycle no less.

"Ah, Dylan?" Harper asked hesitantly.

"What is it Harper?"

"Are we really going to challenge the B'kai?"

Dylan focused his attention on Harper, for which Rommie was grateful. She'd forgotten what it was like to be on the receiving end of Captain Hunt's Interrogation Stare. There weren't many who could keep quiet when getting the full brunt of it and though only an AI, she was just as cautious as anyone else when dealing with Captain Hunt, as opposed to Dylan. She would have withdrawn except that she hadn't been dismissed yet.

"We have to tell them to stop the waves or people are going to get hurt," Dylan said.

Harper sighed, running a hand through his spiky blond hair and making it even wilder. "I think I'm going to make sure all Rommie's defense mechanisms are in perfect working order then. I get the feeling we're going to need it."

Grinning faintly, Dylan said, "I'll go speak to Beka then come down and help you out."

"You help me? Now there's a laugh," Harper teased.

"Hey, I did pretty good last time!" Dylan protested with a chuckle.

Rommie waited impatiently for Dylan to dismiss her but made sure her expression stayed neutral. After a couple of more minutes talking with Harper, Dylan looked at her, the laughter fading from his face. She almost threw the whole charade away right then and there. She missed talking with him as a friend obviously as much as he did. Reminding herself this was for Beka, Rommie kept her expression firm.

"You're dismissed Andromeda."

Nodding once sharply, Rommie pulled herself out of the bridge and retreated to her sanctum; a virtual reality room where she went to recharge herself. It was modeled after Dylan's quarters with both sleeping and working stations. Right now, she sat on the bed, rubbing her temples painfully. Maintaining this empty and emotionless countenance was harder to do than she'd initially thought. So many things were pulling at her that sometimes she didn't know which way was up. The two main things paining her were Dylan and her internal programming.

Dylan had always used her as a sounding board for difficult situations. He'd trusted and relied upon her judgment not only for options but to back him up. Now, in the situation she'd gotten herself into, she could only reiterate facts, not give opinions or suggestions that might be colored by what she really thought. All of which added up to conflict with her programming since she needed to be everything Dylan needed at the most fundamental level. More than that, she wanted to.

Lying on her bed, Rommie wondered what she could possibly do to get herself out of this. Perhaps a gradual return to where she had been over the next couple of weeks was in order. After all, just because she had her former capabilities for Dylan didn't mean that she had them for Beka. As though inspiration struck, Rommie sat bolt upright. That was the solution of course! She could help Dylan and still protect Beka simply by stating that certain feelings had returned but others had not.

It wasn't as though they could say otherwise.



***



"Hey boss lady, what's up?" Harper asked with a yawn. That last Sparky cola was definitely wearing off.

Beka leaned against a relatively clear portion of a counter and crossed her arms over her chest. "What do you know about Systems Commonwealth AI programming?"

Harper stared at her for a second before spinning around and slapping his hand against something. Almost immediately a bluish-white field went up around them, encompassing a field of approximately four meters square. Surprised, Beka asked, "What's this?"

"Sound barrier. Since Rommie can pretty much hear everything we say even when she's not listening, I figured there might be times when we didn't want that to happen. Hence, the little force field," Harper explained.

Impressed, Beka said just that. "Harper, I'm impressed. Very ingenious of you."

"Hey thanks boss," Harper said with a grin and a slight bow. "So. What do you want to know about Rommie's programming?"

"Should she really have lost all her emotive programming when you ran that antivirus? According to Dylan, Rommie wasn't even this dry when he first came on board as Captain," Beka said.

Pursing his lips, Harper answered, "I'd been wondering that myself. So I did a little research. Told Rommie that I was doing some proactive research to guard against future bugs like that."

"And?" Beka asked impatiently.

"And the answer is no. I mean yeah, sure, I developed a pretty strong antivirus if I say so myself but after a couple of weeks of researching exactly what goes into an AI program, there's no way my little bug, or the alien bug for that matter, could have wiped everything out. I mean I've only just scratched the surface of her matrix and man, this goes way beyond my skills," Harper replied flatly.

"That means she's deliberately hiding something," Beka mused.

"In my not so humble opinion, yeah, that's exactly what she's doing," Harper agreed. "The question is why?"

Beka had a sinking suspicion that she knew why but it wasn't something she cared to talk to Harper about. Not just then, at least. "Do me a favor."

Harper looked at her alertly, waiting.

"Keep a lid on this for now and keep researching. But narrow your focus to instances where AI's have transcended their programs into full sentiency," Beka ordered. "Find out how the Systems Commonwealth dealt with those circumstances."

Now practically vibrating with excitement, Harper exclaimed, "You think that's what's happened!"

Smiling tightly, Beka said, "I think it's a strong possibility. And it's probably not something she wants to share with people who have encountered other AI's gone mad because of the same reason. Think you can keep your research hidden from her, Seamus?"

Harper had already turned inward as he thought about the various approaches that he might be able to use to bypass Rommie's internal sensors while accessing her archives. Realizing belatedly that Beka had said something, he looked over at her grin and said, "What? Sorry."

"No problem. I said, how do I get out of this and when do you want to meet again to talk about it?" Beka repeated.

"You can walk through the field, it won't hurt you. And give me a couple of days, all right?"

"You're the best Harper," Beka praised.

Grinning, Harper nodded and watched as she left the maintenance bay. The need for another Sparky cola was gone as possibilities and plans worked their way through his brain. He absently turned off the sound barrier and moved towards his console, working on bolstering Rommie's already formidable shields cast aside in favor of a new and more important project.



***



On her way back to her quarters, Dylan's hail sounded. "Beka. We've got visitors. I need you on the bridge."

Instantly changing course, Beka headed towards the bridge, picking up speed into a fast jog. Dylan's less than thrilled tone of voice told her that they'd just encountered the B'kai. When she entered the bridge, she found Tyr at the weapons post and Rev standing quietly at the communications array. Trance was nowhere to be seen.

Dropping into a respectable stride, Beka reached Dylan's side and stood there, gazing at the three B'kai on the screen with impassivity even though she wanted to shudder. Though humanoid, the B'kai had scales instead of skin and their eyes were a menacing black with only a pale rim of white around the edges. It wasn't just the scales that reminded Beka of deadly reptiles, the many, many sharp teeth in slightly extended mouth heavily added to the impression.

"As I stated before, your ‘experiment' is potentially harmful to travelers in the surrounding area. It would be to everyone's benefit if you were to cease transmission," Dylan said, not sparing Beka a glance.

The B'kai took in her appearance and started talking, or perhaps arguing, in their own language excitedly. Dylan looked at her curiously and she shrugged. "You've got me. Maybe they've never seen a blond before?"

Dylan snorted then returned his attention to the view screen.

"We did not realize the Shektal was on board," the largest of the trio said with obvious excitement. "We will be happy to have further conversations with you regarding this matter."

"This is my First Officer Commander Beka Valentine," Dylan introduced, obviously sensing an advantage.

Beka could have cheerfully throttled him but nodded politely to the B'kai on the screen.

"We are most pleased to see you again, Shektal," the first one said, still smiling with far too many teeth visible. "We are transmitting coordinates for rendezvous."

"Thank you. We look forward to..." The viewscreen cut off before Dylan could finish speaking. Shaking his head in bemusement, he asked, "Shektal? Andromeda? Translation?"

"Unknown Captain. I am researching this now."

"Fine. Report to me when you figure it out," Dylan said shortly.

"Captain, I believe that I should accompany you and Commander Valentine to the surface."

Pursing his lips thoughtfully, Dylan asked, "Why is that?"

"Procedure dictates that in a potentially dangerous situation, the Avatar is to accompany the Captain."

"Procedure," Dylan repeated.

"Yes, sir."

Looking as though he was tasting something bad, Dylan opened his mouth to say something when Beka interrupted with, "Dylan, you know that Andromeda is showing her concern for us in the only way she can now."

He glanced at Beka, his jaw snapping shut decisively. "Fine. Andromeda, you may accompany us. But make sure that you don't follow procedure so closely that you get us killed."



***



"As near as I can figure it, Shektal is their version of a holy matriarchal leader," Rommie reported a short while later. They were still on the bridge and Harper had joined them for the mini-conference about what they were going to do next. Rommie was thankful that the smaller man had shown up because Dylan was not happy with her at the moment and she could use every bit of shielding from that sharp gaze as possible. Though nothing romantic had as yet sparked between Dylan and Harper that she'd been able to ascertain, whenever the engineer was present, Dylan relaxed a great deal. Although relaxing for Dylan usually translated into extremely anal for others, Rommie would still take the calming influence any day.

Golden eyebrow rising in disbelief, Beka exclaimed, "Do I look like I have any motherly bones in my body?"

Rommie cleared her throat, refraining from saying what she thought Beka really looked like: a beautiful and desirable woman. Aloud she continued, "I don't believe that the B'kai will harm you but there are certain protocols that you need to observe."

Beka frowned. "I'm not going to like this, am I?"

‘Definitely not,' Rommie thought with an inward grin. "From the information I've been able to gather, the Shektal take vows of silence and only speak when they have an important wisdom to impart."

Beka glared at Dylan who was obviously trying not to laugh. Harper possessed no such self-control and laughed out loud. Rommie had a greater sense of self-preservation than both of the men and continued impassively, "Also, the Shektal were ultimately in charge and decide how things will turn out. I am certain that the B'kai's Shektal will be present during this conference."

"Were? And is there only one Shektal in the B'kai society?" Dylan asked.

"I don't know," Rommie admitted. "It almost seems as though the Shektal disappeared hundreds of years ago even though the B'kai are still ruled by her. It's most unclear."

"All right then. Let's get on the Maru and get to the rendezvous spot. Harper, try not to blow up Andromeda while we're gone. And Beka? Remember, you have taken a vow of silence," Dylan reminded with a grin.

Harper cackled, nearly falling over in his fit of laughter.

"Bite me," Beka muttered. She punched Harper in the shoulder hard enough to make him gasp in pain then moved passed the men with another glare.

‘Just one big happy family,' Rommie thought with an internal grin.



***



The trip to the B'kai surface was quiet and Rommie wondered what was going on in Beka's mind. She was fairly certain that Dylan was thinking about the coming conference and how to turn it to their mission's advantage. With Beka, well, one could never be sure what she was thinking at any point in time. Hesitantly, Rommie looked over at the other woman and asked, "Are you all right?"

Beka glanced back at her in surprise, blue eyes startled from whatever train of thought she'd been on. "I'm fine. There's just something...I just have something on my mind is all."

Wondering how she could help ease the troubled look from her friend's face, Rommie ventured, "Many psychological disciplines believe that talking about your troubles is the first step in alleviating them."

Half-smiling, Beka answered, "Thanks Andromeda but this isn't anything you can help me with. No offense but, if you were still Rommie, well, that would be something else."

"I see," Rommie replied stiffly. After a long moment, she said, "I am still the same AI who was your friend, Commander. I will certainly listen if you need to speak with someone."

The half smile faded and Beka looked at her sadly. "That's all right, Andromeda. But thank you for the offer."

Frustrated, Rommie turned her attention back to the display. One thing about being in her Avatar body was that she didn't have instantaneous access to all ship's systems. She was as close to human as possible when separated from herself as the ship. The Andromeda was still functioning with an AI presence while she was in the Avatar and when she returned, they would synch together and share what had happened, becoming one entity again.

"Approaching B'kai coordinates," Rommie reported.

"Good," Dylan said from his seat a short distance away. "ETA?"

"Three minutes and counting. Captain, there is an armed escort waiting on the landing deck. Should we continue?" Rommie asked tensely. This was where things always got sticky. Dylan had to decide whether they had been tricked or whether to trust in potential allies. From the look on Dylan's face, she could see that he wasn't happy with the new development.

"Land as scheduled, Andromeda, inform Harper of our change in status."

"Aye sir." Rommie immediately sent a coded message to the ship and reported, "Mr. Harper wants to know if they should power up."

"Negative. Remain in station keeping and monitor only," Dylan answered.

Rommie sent up the new instructions and couldn't help but smile at the response. Wiping it quickly from her face, she said, "Mr. Harper says that you are being an idiot but says that he will comply."

"Nothing new there," Beka muttered.

Dylan glared at her but couldn't refute the statement. "All right oh-wise-one, let's get this show on the road."

Rommie checked her weapons even though she knew they were at full charge. Dylan led the way off the ship and she and Beka followed immediately behind, forming a triangle. If things got bad, they could turn back-to-back, forming a defensive wedge. Hopefully things wouldn't go bad.

The B'kai from the view screen was waiting for them at the head of the armed group. He bowed slightly and said, "I am Jenshi, First Protectorate of the B'kai."

"Captain Dylan Hunt of the Andromeda," Dylan introduced. "This is my First Officer, Commander Beka Valentine and our Avatar, Andromeda."

Black eyes slid over them all and Rommie had the sudden urge for a shower. She saw the goosebumps on Beka's bare arms and knew her friend was having the same reaction.

"Please, come this way and we will talk," Jenshi said, motioning towards the ramp.

The B'kai homeworld was hot and humid, a given considering the B'kai obviously came from reptilian beginnings. Rommie knew they had full reproductive capabilities but somehow she had no trouble picturing Jenshi crawling out of an egg. Her eyes scanned their immediate surroundings but she saw nothing save a city like any other. B'kai were going about their business like any other population.

Despite the seeming normalcy, Rommie had a bad feeling about this.


***




Beka couldn't be more thrilled than if she'd just won the Galactic Lotto Pot. Well, okay, maybe a little more thrilled but the point was that Rommie was still very much alive and present in her hidden counterpoint, Andromeda. Several points of logic, something Beka tried never to think about, all indicated it. First making it so that she could accompany Dylan and Beka on a potentially dangerous mission. Second, seeing the woebegone face Beka purposely put on and responding to it. Third, checking her weapons inside the Maru. Last, the way she hovered protectively close to both Beka and Dylan.

If Rommie was really gone and the AI had reverted to truly being just an AI, none of those things would have happened. So now Beka was doing a little dance of happiness inside her mind that not everything was lost. Maybe nothing had been lost except Rommie's confidence in herself as a sentient being. Not that that was a small thing but it could be worked on. All Beka had to do was get Rommie to admit that she was still Rommie and go from there. In the meantime, they had the damned B'kai to deal with and Beka didn't like the way people kept looking at her. It wasn't the "Oh look, it's a holy mother-type female and let's honor her" kind of look. It was more like an, "Oh look at the human female perfect to be sacrificed" kind of look. The kind of looks that made her distinctly nervous.

Her hands lingered near her blasters as they followed Jenshi into a large building. The armed escort had surrounded all three of them, without comment or command needed, and Beka could practically feel the noose tighten around her neck as they walked closer to whatever gallows awaited them. She really wanted to point all this out to Dylan but knew that he'd already realized it from the way his broad shoulders were practically set in stone.

Beka kept track of their passage, noting possible escape routes along the way. She knew that both Rommie and Dylan were doing the same thing but it was always best to know your own way off a rock in case of separation. They finally came to a stop outside a door and Jenshi opened it by passing his hand over a gray, metallic plate on the wall. Hopefully it was just a motion sensor and not genetically encoded to either Jenshi specifically or the B'kai population in general.

Half the escort remained in the hall while the other half followed them into a large conference room. Beka's lips pursed thoughtfully. Maybe the B'kai really did want to talk after all. She heard Rommie gasp and smiled at the human reaction. Then she saw what Rommie gasped at and the smile was gone. There was a large portrait hanging above the main conference table. If you took away the scales and the slightly protruding snout, then added some blond hair, Beka was pretty much looking at a picture of herself. Shektal indeed!

"You can see why we were overcome at seeing you, Shektal," Jenshi said quietly.

Unable to find her voice right away, Beka looked at Dylan who seemed unusually grim. Finally, she said, "I can see, yes, there is a faint resemblance."

If Jenshi had eyebrows, they probably would have risen off his face altogether at her mild statement. "We have been waiting for your return for over two hundred years, Shektal. We are quite...surprised...to find you in this form and working with a representative of the long dead Systems Commonwealth."

Looking at Dylan, willing him to step in any time, Beka thought furiously then continued, "The Systems Commonwealth isn't dead as long as its ideals are kept alive."

There was a murmur among the B'kai present and Beka wondered if she'd done something to piss them off. Rommie moved closer and Beka gratefully accepted the support. She met Rommie's dark eyes and saw the AI was less than pleased by how Dylan wasn't handling things. Matter of fact, Rommie's hand was plainly on her blaster and her eyes were constantly scanning the room for threats. ‘So this is Rommie in protective mode,' Beka thought faintly.

"You are wise as always, Shektal," Jenshi said, bowing to her. "Please, sit and refresh yourself."

Beka sat in the head chair as indicated with Rommie to her immediate left and Dylan on Rommie's other side. So far Dylan still appeared to be taking a back seat, willing to follow her lead. Naturally this was the only time ever that she wished he would friggin' take control!

"Avatar. You are the Shektal's protector?" Jenshi asked, sitting to Beka's right.

Rommie nodded tightly.

"I see that you do a good job but please, be assured that it isn't necessary here," Jenshi said with a smile.

Beka again wished they didn't show so many teeth when they smiled.

"I protect my crew with or without assurances," Rommie said flatly.

Beka was startled by the hostile tone and looked over at Rommie's expressionless face that somehow conveyed deadly menace. It was something she'd never heard or seen from Rommie before. ‘Make that Rommie in full-fledged-protective-mode,' she corrected mentally. Hastily, Beka said, "What she means is that we face many threats and Andromeda has to be constantly on alert."

Jenshi nodded. "Of course. Please, help yourself to refreshments and rest. My colleagues will be here momentarily."

Beka looked squeamishly at the still moving bowl of small creatures. Fortunately, there were a few plates of different fruits and vegetables and she reached for those. Dylan remained silent as he too ate some of the fruit and Beka wished that she knew what the hell was going on in his mind.



***



‘We're going to have to fight our way out of here,' Dylan thought. ‘And I'm going to have to suffer through Seamus' I told you so's for the next month! Or longer.'

Beka was talking with Jenshi and Dylan was unsurprised to find her holding her own and playing the part of Shektal perfectly. When she spoke, it was to say something smart and pertinent, something that either soothed ruffled feathers, or scales as the case may be, or imparted a pearl of wisdom. Not for the first time, Dylan was grateful for Rev Bem's presence among the Maru crew. He had the feeling that a lot of the little pearls spilling from Beka's mouth were from the Wayist priest.

The only problem he could see came in that they were three against an entire population. A population that would hold Beka in religious fervor once they saw her. Beka's resemblance to the B'kai Shektal really was uncanny, Dylan had to admit. There was nothing worse than mistaken religious zeal. It had probably caused more bloodshed and heartache than any political belief in the entire history of mankind and beyond. Dylan didn't, unfortunately, think that the B'kai were any less susceptible to religious zeal than any other sentient creature.

Which made them getting off the planet with Beka a lot less certain.

One interesting thing to come out of this was Andromeda's reaction to the obvious threat against Beka. She was practically vibrating with tension and hadn't left Beka's side since they'd entered the room. He hadn't missed the way the AI almost bit off Jenshi's head, either. There was definitely something going on with her and Dylan made it a priority to figure out what just as soon as they were all safely on the Andromeda and far from B'kai space.

Dylan focused on the new arrivals a few moments later, standing when everyone else did. The two B'kai were dressed similarly to Jenshi but in different colors. One of them, the larger one, bared his teeth briefly at Beka before regaining control. Dylan made a note to keep an eye on that one, knowing instinctively that he didn't want Beka there any more than they wanted to be there.

"This is First Minister Jenshat and this is First Leader Jensher," Jenshi introduced.

Beka nodded at the new arrivals, as did Rommie and Dylan.

When everyone was seated, Jenshi continued, "Now we should talk about the sonic array you are so concerned about."

"If you continue with your experiments, it will be hurt a lot of innocent people," Beka said flatly.

"If we do not, then our technology suffers," Jenshat countered, just as flatly.

"There is a way to continue with your experiments that will not aversely affect others in surrounding systems," Rommie pointed out. "Sonic technology is not a harmful discipline. In this instance, it's only because you've focused the output to such a degree that..."

"I do not speak with false beings," Jenshat interrupted imperiously.

Though Rommie's expression didn't alter, Dylan got the sense that she was close to exploding and spoke for the first time. "Andromeda is not a false being. She is a vital member of my crew and contains the knowledge of the Systems Commonwealth within her. If she says there is another way to go about this, then there is."

All eyes turned to him and Dylan smiled politely and nodded to each official in turn before standing. He walked over to the portrait of the Shektal and looked up at it for a moment. He turned to look back at the people around the conference table and continued, "Every species should, of course, be given the right to develop in their own time and fashion and that includes technological advances. That is one of the Systems Commonwealth's main tenets. It does, however, come into conflict with another basic Systems Commonwealth belief on occasion and that is that all paths should be exhausted if innocent lives are harmed in the quest for new advances.

"I would like to see the B'kai join with the new Systems Commonwealth. I believe that we could be valuable allies for each other," Dylan said, leaning against the wall beside the portrait. "Besides the obvious advantages of a technological exchange, there is the added benefit of getting to know your neighbors who, from all reports, don't care for your...warlike and hostile ways at the moment. Think of the growth your economy and people would experience from new trade and knowledge. Isn't that worth more than anything these destructive tests can give you? If you join with us, you will get all that and more."

Dylan pushed off from the wall and walked back towards the table. He paused at Beka's side and murmured into her ear, "If you've got it, use it." Then he returned to his seat and hoped Beka would be able to pick up where he'd left off.



***



Though startled for a split second by Dylan's lead in, Beka stood as he sat down and all eyes transferred from him to her. Smiling pleasantly, she turned to look at the portrait and said, "Everything Captain Hunt has said is true but there is one more value that you should know about if you join the Systems Commonwealth. Peace. Before I knew Captain Hunt, I was always on the run from those who would harm me and my crew. Since becoming part of this mission, we have known the peace that comes from doing the right thing, even if the right thing to do is hard on us personally. The good of those around us counts for far more than our own paltry profits and wants."

She saw that Jenshi and Jensher looked thoughtful but that First Minister lizard who'd bared his teeth at her looked at her stony faced. She did not like the way his eyes kept flickering around the room as though waiting for something to happen. She heard the soft snick of Rommie's blaster safety's coming off and wondered what the AI had picked up on. As Rommie and Dylan exchanged a glance, Beka figured that she should do something to keep the attention on herself and started to speak again. "I realize that this is a big decision and that you will need to discuss any future action privately. Why don't we return to our ship while you debate this and you can signal us with your decision."

"What will you do if we decide not to join you and to continue with our tests as they are now?" Jenshat demanded in a low, angry rumble.

"We hope, of course, that you will not. But if you do, we will not impose our beliefs upon you," Beka lied blithely. She was pretty sure that if the B'kai did decide on that course, Dylan would blow the sonic array out of the water, figuratively speaking of course. "We will move on to other systems who desire the strength and unity of purpose that joining the Commonwealth brings."

"You have given us much to think about, Shektal," Jenshi said, looking at Jenshat with a frown. "I shall escort you back to your ship and we will contact you when a decision has been reached."

Beka nodded and found herself surrounded both by Dylan and Rommie in a reprisal of the flanking they'd used for Dylan on the way in. It was disconcerting to be on the receiving end of the defensive maneuver and she wondered how Dylan stood it all the time. ‘Price you pay for being important,' a snide voice whispered in her mind.

Firmly quelling the sarcasm that was aching to get out, Beka followed Jenshi to the door. They made it all the way out of the building without incident. She was just starting to breathe easier upon seeing the Eureka Maru still resting on the docking pad when the first laser blast was fired. Jenshi shouted in dismay and anger but Rommie tackled Beka before the B'kai could do anything. They rolled to the relative safety of cover behind two large storage crates.

Rommie remained lying protectively on Beka for a moment, dark eyes meeting blue with worry as a delicate hand cradled Beka's face. "Are you all right?"

Swallowing against a suddenly dry throat, Beka nodded, unable to say anything in the face of such tenderness. After another moment, Rommie crawled off her and poked her head above the crates to take in the situation. Beka lay there for a stupid second, savoring the feeling of Rommie then crawled over to the AI's position. There would be time for all of that later; right now they had to get to the Maru without getting their asses blown off.

Pulling out her own blaster, Beka looked around for Dylan and found him and Jenshi pinned down a short distance away behind other storage containers. Their attackers were well covered, practically anonymous and shooting at them with a lot of accuracy. Beka flinched from a near miss as a laser ricocheted off the container and almost singed her eyebrows. "We have to figure out where they're hiding."

Rommie nodded and Beka saw that she'd engaged her infrared vision. "They're cold blooded but still have a considerable heat signature. There are ten of them, in pairs, placed on that upper catwalk, behind each pillar."

"Thanks Rommie, that gives me an idea," Beka said, eyes narrowing as she took note of the catwalk supports. Using hand signals, she conveyed her idea to Dylan who nodded grimly and raised three fingers. Beka nodded and when his fist appeared from counting down, all three of them sprang up and fired simultaneously at the supports. There was an ominous cracking sound as she took cover once more and shouts of alarm from the B'kai as the catwalk came crashing down. Right about then, of course, armed B'kai soldiers showed up and converged on the attackers. Beka gave Rommie a grin and winked. "Good to have you along, Rommie."

Seeming to forget that she wasn't supposed to have emotions any longer, Rommie answered dryly, "It's nice to be appreciated."

Chuckling, Beka accepted Rommie's hand up and they walked over to where Jenshi was apologizing profusely to Dylan. He turned midstream and the deluged washed painfully over Beka. When it looked as though he wasn't going to stop, Beka held up her hands and said firmly, "Jenshi. Stop. It's all right. We believe that you had nothing to do with this."

Obviously startled, Jenshi asked, "You do?"

Dylan nodded and agreed, "It seems as though not all your government people appreciate the thought of the Shektal returning to guide your planet."

Jenshi looked over at the uniforms of their attackers who were being led away by the soldiers and sighed. "I was afraid of this. The First Minister would be out of his position were you to return to us."

‘Jenshat. No big surprise there,' Beka thought, looking at Dylan. She could see that he was of the same mind. "I have no desire to guide your people, Jenshi."

"You don't? But you're the Shektal!" he exclaimed.

She could almost like the earnest expression in his black eyes if only they didn't remind her of a snake getting ready to bite her. "I look like her a little, yes, but that's no reason for you to take in a stranger to your highest levels of government."

"You don't understand. The Holy Writings say that you would come back to us in a form not of our choosing. That you would lead us into a new age of prosperity and peace," Jenshi insisted.

Helplessly, Beka tried to get a hint from Dylan but was doing the impassive thing again. Damn but he did a great imitation of a statue at the most infuriating of times! Clearing her throat, Beka said, "I can't tell you what to do, Jenshi. I can say that Captain Hunt is giving you just that opportunity by joining with us as allies in the new Commonwealth. Think our offer over carefully and contact us when you're ready to decide."

Jenshi nodded hesitantly then said, "You are indeed wise, First Officer Commander Beka Valentine. Thank you for showing us the way."

Smiling weakly, Beka replied, "You're welcome."



***



"You're telling me that you had the opportunity to rule these people like a queen and you turned it down?" Harper demanded incredulously, stopping his work momentarily to look at her like she had three heads.

Eyeing him pointedly from her sitting position on the nearby counter, Beka observed, "Would you want to be the number one choice for assassination by the religious factor?"

"Ah. Well. You kinda got a point there," Harper agreed. He returned to soldering the microchip unit and continued, "I haven't found anything yet about what we talked about."

Beka sighed. "I'd hoped that you had."

"I'll keep looking but I don't know that it's ever happened before," Harper admitted. "What're you going to do?"

Thumping her head a couple of times against the wall, Beka thought before she answered. Once they'd returned to Andromeda, Rommie had promptly vanished behind her mask of non-emotions and excused herself to synchronize. Dylan had waved her off without any objection or hesitation. Maybe he hadn't seen what Beka had on the surface, she didn't know. In either case, there was nothing she could do about the situation except confront Rommie and she didn't think the AI was up to that just yet.

When you got knocked for a loop as big as Rommie had, it took a lot of support to get back up. Beka desperately wanted to be that support for the AI but it hadn't been asked for as yet. Confronting Rommie about the situation just didn't seem like a good idea. Not yet at least. Sighing again, Beka answered, "I don't know, Seamus, I just don't know."

"I wouldn't wait too long, Beka," Harper said seriously, setting aside the unit.

Frowning, Beka asked, "Why? What aren't you telling me?"

The smaller man ran a hand through his golden spiky hair then walked over to her and activated the sound barrier. When it was in place, he said, "The longer Rommie acts in a manner that conflicts with her programming, the more chance there is that it will spike into something worse. We might not have another Pax on our hands right now but..."

"But we could if things go on as they are," Beka finished for him.

Harper nodded glumly.

"Beautiful. So. One step forward and three steps back," Beka muttered.


end

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Nancy.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.