Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
303
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
1,082

Lone

Summary:

Prompt: A Soul On Fire
Rating: Older Teen
Disclaimer: I disclaim!
Feedback: Please feed the writer
Submitted through http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Makebelieve_YG

Work Text:

 

 

Lone
by Anne Marsh

 

He doesn't know me anymore.

The words pound in my head as I run. I have no destination, and the woods are dark and deep and I know them of old.

He doesn't know me anymore.

The pain burns in my chest as I run. It's not the exertion, but that one truth, neither plain nor simple.

He doesn't know me anymore.

Tears sting my eyes as I run. We used to be together, side by side against the world, tumbling, laughing, making love...

I have to stop, to catch my breath or my racing mind. I went back, to the place that used to be ours, I didn't know he would return as well. I hoped in that moment he might welcome me. I hoped he might love me. There was no recognition in his eyes, he looked at me like a tresspasser. I had no words to speak, he would not have listened.

A movement to the side freezes me, and I turn oh-so-slow, still braced against a tree. Someone else panting, breathing, someone else there.

The wolf eyes me with slight interest, gold eyes burning. I don't know what to expect, don't know if I've run into his territory, if he'll attack, if I could hope to fight...

After an eternity of staring, he turns, tosses his head in dismissal as he trots off into the trees.

I sink down to the snow-covered ground of the clearing and feel the need to sob, to laugh, to cry, to scream. Half relieved and half still heartbroken, I can only stay as I am, until the cold and damp force me to move on. To where, I don't know. I only know where I cannot make my home. Where I am not wanted.

I only know he doesn't know me.

 

 

FIN
danakszoul@yahoo.com