Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2004-06-29
Words:
2,848
Chapters:
5/5
Kudos:
29
Hits:
3,888

Illuminations

Summary:

A look at life between parts 6 and 7 of Crucify Me.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Part 1 - Age 10

Chapter Text

~ New Orleans - 1990 ~

He's barely been in my life more than a couple of weeks and already I feel like I've known him my entire life. This parenting thing is getting easier; I just let Remy take the lead and follow from there. He's still skittish, but then I hadn't expected any different...it's a miracle that he even lets me near him, let alone trusts me enough to sleep by my side at night and hold my hand during the day.

We're taking things one day at a time, feeling our way along as best we can, but I think this just might work. We're both speaking a sort of pidgin hybrid of English and French, and I'm sure we both sound like idiots, but I couldn't care less. All that matters is that he trusts me enough to open up to me.

I know a lot of things about him now that I didn't know when he first showed up on my doorstep; important things, trivial things, things that make me laugh, things that make me cry...

I know he has a middle name, Etienne, but no last name, but then, I don't have one either, so I guess we're even...

That he loves chocolate and hates peanut butter...

That he doesn't know who his real parents are...

That Bel's not his real sister, but then I could have guessed as much...

That his favorite color is red...

That he doesn't know when his birthday is...

That for some reason he hates the smell of roses, but loves the smell of leather...

That he's never had anyone other than Bel tell him that they love him...

That he thinks being a professional thief is a viable career option...

That he's been working the streets in one way or another since he was 4 years old...

That he plays piano better than anyone I've ever met...

I know that I love him, even though he's been in my life for less than a month...

Sitting here watching him sleep, sprawled across the bed, dead to the world, I can't help but hope that I can protect him from the world...that I can make up for the pain that's been inflicted on him and show him that the world doesn't have to be such a terrible place.

Broken bones heal, but broken hearts are harder to mend. All I can do is hope that I can undo the damage that's been done.