Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
350
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,333

A Truthful Man

Summary:

Fandom: Torchwood
Characters: Jack/Jack
Summary: Two men finding a truth about themselves in a dance.
Submitted through CompleteKingdomOfSlash

Work Text:

 

A Truthful Man
by Lilithangel
abchainey@xtra.co.nz
http://www.livejournal.com/users/lilithbint

 

He had always known that he didn't feel the same things for girls as the other boys but he learned very quickly that was a truth that nobody wanted to hear.

So he made the right noises and took them dancing, kissed their soft charcoal tasting lips and got a reputation as a true gentleman.

The one true thing was that his love of flying was stronger than any long buried need until Captain James Harper with his big smile and earnest eyes.

Who told him to live each day as if it was his last with a gaze that knew and understood how many screams he still heard when he closed his eyes.

Jack had never felt like a truthful man until the moment he stood in front of James and held out his hand.

* * * * *

He earned his rank of Captain the second time round. Not as Captain Jack Harkness but still he was a Captain. Earned through blood and hurt and too many lost boys that he laughed with, loved and lost.

It was returning to the 1940's that hurt the most because it felt like home even though it was nothing like anywhere he had grown up. But he remembered the bravado the helpless determination to carry on despite the bombs falling. He remembered the missing generation of young men foolishly believing that what they were doing would make a difference.

And he remembered a man he hadn't met yet. The model for the hero he had dreamed of being until the screams of his best friend killed that fantasy. The model he had tried to live up to twice for the sake of a man and a girl who believed he wasn't just a really bad con man.

So this third time around when he finally did meet his Captain he started to believe the truth. He was a good man, not always a nice man but somewhere along the line he had become more than he had ever expected.

He had become the man that Captain Jack Harkness wanted to dance with.

 

END
abchainey@xtra.co.nz
http://www.livejournal.com/users/lilithbint