Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,573
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
1,191

Fic challenge Response

Summary:

I (finally!) got to watch the ending of Spirit of the Mask and with your challenge; it gives me a starting place. (I really didn't want to put how I fell over a horseshoe stake in my backyard to get this `injury'…so yep).

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Fic challenge Response
by hey_sprinkles

 

"Judson! Jud-son!" Mac screamed out, trying to hold on to the fence like it was her lifeline, which in actuallity, it was.

A fight ensued between the woman who was about to let go of Mac to fly down 50 feet, and Judson Cross.

"Gabe! Get over here!" Judson yelled as he threw the lady away into Gabe's awaiting stance to hold her back.

"I gotcha…just grab my," he told Mac, but it was too late. Mac fell off the fence, and Judson watched as the rocks broke the skin covering her knee.

"JUDSON!" Mac screamed, as she finally grabbed onto some rocks several feet below the fence.

"I'm coming. Hang on."

"Well, get some gear soon. My knee is bleeding pretty bad."

Since the cops came and took the woman away, Gabe hurried to the jeep and took the rope out, coming back with climbing supplies.

"Judson, are you sure you can do this? I mean, I could go down there," Gabe said, trying to reason with him.

"I'm stronger and yes, even faster, than you; it's just going to be this way. We've got to get her out of there. Five minutes has gone by already." Judson said, tying the ropes around the fence, and then attaching to his belt. Looking down below the fence, Mac looked up.

"Coming to rescue me anytime soon?"

"Right now. Gabe, are you ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be."

Judson put his arm on Gabe's shoulder. "We'll get her," before starting the climb down. Gabe took out his cell to call the ambulance.

When Judson reached Mac, he saw in her eyes that she was truly scared, but didn't let her know he saw. "You all right? Ready to go up?"

"Ready as I'll ever be. Just give me a few seconds in your arms to feel safe and to calm down, alright?" Mac winked.

"Sure." Judson smiled. "We've got an ambulance waiting for you up there, whenever you're ready to come up. You sure were brave going against that woman, even if I don't believe in the magic the mask holds."

"No problem, anytime." Mac laughed, "my knee's been bleeding really hard, and it hurts like hell. Other than that, I'm alright."

"I'm glad you're safe. Ready to go up?"

 

 

AT THE HOSPITAL, ABOUT AN HOUR LATER…

"Judson, just stop pacing. Mac'll pull through. She always does." Gabe said, after watching Judson pace for about twenty minutes.

"I'm glad it's just a few stitches. If something worse would've happened, I don't know what we would have done."

A doctor walked in and Judson stopped pacing. "Are you for Mackenzie Previn?"

"Yes we are. Is she alright?" Judson asked as Gabe got up from his seat.

"She will have to take some time to recover. Ms Previn has had around 15 to 20 stitches that will have to be taken out in two months."

"But after that she'll be good as new, right?" Gabe asked, as Judson looked worried.

"Afraid not. Ms Previn now has what is called Patello Femoral Syndrome, which is an easy way to say that her kneecap and muscles around her knees are not connected as well as yours."

"Can it be fixed?" Judson asked.

"I'm sorry, but never. She will have to go into physical therapy in a few weeks; she'll have to start bending her knees. Her leg will have to stay straight for at least 2 weeks and then she can start bending, which will be very painful. The injury, or disease, will never fully go away. She might even have to use a wheelchair sometimes."

"Thank you for all you've done. All I ask is that you let us tell her the news."

"No problem, Mr. Cross. I see that she trusts you. During the stitching up she was wondering about you and Mr. Patterson. You can see her now, in the room to the left."

As the doctor left, Judson whispered to Gabe; "Tell me the news is not going to kill her. Tell me she won't be upset, and that it will all turn out okay."

"Sorry, Judson. But this news to Mac?" Gabe replied. "I don't really want to be there, but I will."

 

 

A FEW MINUTES LATER, MAC's ROOM

"God, Judson. I'm finally out of there." Mac said as the guys walked in. "I can't believe it, it felt so weird when they stitched me up. Hey, Gabe."

"Hey, Mac. Glad you're alright."

"Uh-oh. Doesn't seem good. Although I can't read Judson's eyes like a book, I can read yours. What is going on?"

Gabe and Judson looked at each other, and Gabe sat down in a chair far away from Mac's hospital bed. Judson scooted his closer and grabbed her hand.

"Judson?" Mac said, "Could it be that bad?"

"Yeah, Mac. The doctor just talked to us, and he told us how bad it is."

"Judson, I'm not going to die. Just spit it out." Mac said, getting a little angry and sarcastic at the same time.

"He said your knee got…well, a little broken in the fall. Your muscles aren't fully attached and it's called Patello Femoral Syndrome." Judson said, looking into her eyes.

Gabe interrupted. "I've already started downloading and finding files and information on it. You have nothing to worry about."

"See, nothing to fear. I can make a recovery." Mac said, unaware of what was coming next.

Judson cleared his throat before giving a reply. "Mac, I'm sorry. But there is no full recovery. The doctor said you will be in and out of physical therapy treatments for the rest…"

"Don't say it Judson. DON'T SAY IT." Mac screamed, pulling her hand out of his. "I am fine, can't you see? It's just a few stitches."

"Trust me on this, Mac. I didn't want the doctor to tell you, this is why I wanted Gabe and I to tell you."

"Mac, I will do everything I can." Gabe said, aware of what this was doing to his friend.

"Just get out. Go for awhile, I can't stand this. I need to think!" Mac said.

"Alright. We'll come back later. Let's go get something to eat, Gabe." Judson said, before touching Mac's shoulder as an `ok' sign.

Five minutes later, Judson returned to the hospital room and Gabe returned to the Vast Explorer to gather information on Mac's injury. Mac was asleep so Judson just pulled up a chair to wait.

An hour later, Mac opened her eyes and found Judson's head by her side, his hand rested on her stomach, holding her hand. Putting her hands through his hair, she was comforted that he was there to watch her. `what am I going to do' she thought. `what if I can't do things I used to.'

Judson woke up and took her hand of his head and held it. Mac seemed to stare at the wall, thinking. `what if I'm not strong enough' she thought.

"You're strong enough." Judson said, reading her mind.

Mac fell out of her trance. "Your awake," she said, ignoring his comment that she knew was true, but she still didn't want to hear it.

"Yep. Fell asleep watching you I guess."

"I'm ready to talk now. Sorry for screaming at you before."

"No problem," Judson said, putting her hair behind her ears. "Are you sure you want to talk more about this now?"

"Now or never, right?"

"Okay. While he said that for awhile you will have to keep your leg straight, no movement at all."

"Which will be very hard for me."

"Two weeks after that we will come back and take the stiches out. Then you will have to get physical therapy help for a few weeks to get the strength in your leg back. After that, therapy every three to seven months, depending."

"Did he say if I could still travel, and do treasure hunts?"

"Traveling is up to you, along with the other things. You'll be limited though. No running, no strenuous activity for quite some time."

"I want to stay with you. I don't want to just give up and go home after a little injury."

"I know, its not you." Judson chuckled. "I promise, we'll all get through this. I'm sorry you know. I should've gotten there sooner."

"This is not your fault," Mac said, grabbing his chin so he was looking at her square in the eyes. "I'm hurt, but at least I'm alive, right?"

"Mac, don't joke right now. It's not funny, babe."

"Hey, you pulled me up, right? I didn't tumble all the way down either. So I consider myself lucky."

"Well, that is certainly true."

 

 

FIVE MONTHS LATER….

Mac was soon released from the hospital and spent tireless hours being in pain trying to move her leg. Together the three bought summer houses in the U.S. and Italy with a penthouse in Paris to help Mac travel better, because sometimes if she needed therapy she would have to stay longer and then meet up with the guys later. Adventure Inc's crew grew sometimes and then they let go of the extra help during different works. Mac's knee grew better, and she has been nicknamed the `weather girl' for knowing two days in advance when storms are going to hit. (the arthritis in her knee begins to hurt).

 

 

END
*Sorry, didn't know how to end it!

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author hey_sprinkles.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.