Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 32 of Of Innocence and Empathy
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
810
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,577

Of Innoence and Empathy: Cold Logic

Summary:

Series: Of Innoence and Empathy
Beta: None
Rating: FRT-13
Warnings: Mom!Hotch, beware!the cute
Disclaimer: I don't own them. Damnit.
Challenge: 50episodes – Criminal Minds, Morgan/Reid
Table: 2
Prompt: Writers Choice #4: Table 3, Prompt 46: Sleep
Word Count: 798
Author's Note: This chapter has been brought to you by Wal-Mart. It has no nutritional value whatsoever (in other words, it is complete and utter FLUFF).
Author's Other Note: This falls somewhere before *Legacy* but after *Restore the World* (and its immediate sequel).
Submitted through CriminalMinds_slash

Work Text:

 

Of Innoence and Empathy: Cold Logic
by Frogg

 

 

 

Hotch stifled a yawn, satisfaction at a job well done and three days of precious little sleep catching up to him.

As it had already caught the rest of his team.

He couldn't blame them; after all, it was almost three a.m.

Another case.

Another monster.

Another frantic flight, this time to Sacramento.

Another victim taken.

And rescued, alive.

Not a simple case, but a good one.

One where Gideon didn't get trapped into the victim's mindset.

Where Reid's still-healing traumas were left alone, emotional scars thickening, strengthening under the weight of time and experience.

Where Morgan didn't show up for the return flight looking parboiled, fingers wrinkled and soft from trying to wash off the UnSub's thoughts, the shadows of his empathy clinging like a stain waiting to drag him under.

Where Emily's uncertainty faded a little more, her worth to the team a little more assured.

Where JJ's shine wasn't dulled by the media hounds, and the locals didn't look at her like an escapee from a cheerleading camp.

Where everyone went home, body and heart whole, soul settled, ready to face normalcy with the knowledge that there was one fewer monster out there.

'And what about you?'

Hotch smiled sleepily as his conscience spoke up. 'I guess I'm on watch, making sure my family's okay, so I can be with my other family when we get home.'

'No one's going to hurt them on the plane.' It didn't try to argue with the dual-family concept anymore; it had long since learned the futility in it.

'Hurt, no. But turbulence, it's kind of chilly--'

'You can't help the turbulence. They're used to it, and the air conditioning, and there are blankets in the back. Tuck them in, whisper good night, and get some sleep. You aren't going to be any good to Haley and Jack if you're dead on your feet.'

Hotch didn't answer, his gaze sweeping the half-lit cabin.

Gideon was slumped against the wall, leaning half on the window, half on the galley partition.

Emily and JJ curled on the two-person seats across the aisle; Hotch could only tell the difference because Emily's dark hair spilled over the edge closest to him, while JJ's toes were pointed in his direction in the other row.

Morgan and Reid spooned together, stretched out on the long bench seat, Morgan on his side with his back to the wall, Reid held securely in front of him. They'd been sleeping on the plane like that for a while, long enough for JJ and Garcia to have finally stopped watching. Hotch had to admit, they did look cute; every time Reid shifted, Morgan tightened his arm, keeping them both on the bench. Sometimes Morgan would nuzzle the back of Reid's neck, mumbling unintelligibly until Reid stilled, relaxing against Morgan's chest.

Hotch idly wondered if they slept that way normally; he already knew that Morgan sprawled if he slept alone.

The air conditioning kicked in then, interrupting Hotch's musings with a muted hiss and hum. The sleepers responded subconsciously to the draft, shivering in the chill, curling up tighter and sniffling.

Protective, nurturing instincts stung, Hotch forced himself to his feet and grabbed an armful of fuzzy airline blankets from their closet next to the galley.

Emily only sighed in her sleep as she was covered, one hand clutching the rolled edge beneath her chin.

By the time JJ settled, all Hotch could see of her was a few stray wisps of gold and four small fingers.

Reid stirred, eyes opening to slits in the shadows. "G'night, Mom," he murmured as Hotch tucked the thick blanket around his shoulders.

Hotch couldn't help but smile back. "Good night, Reid."

"Good night, John-boy," Morgan half growled into Reid's shoulder. Disgruntlement at having been disturbed voiced, Morgan fell back asleep, listening to the soft music of Reid's sleepy giggle and Hotch chuckling quietly in the background.

"Good night, Morgan," Hotch whispered, knowing full well Morgan couldn't hear him.

Reid just smiled and shut his eyes.

Throwing his own blanket over the back of his empty chair, Hotch let the last fall open, shaking it out as he turned towards Gideon, only to find himself being watched with an expression of amused indulgence. He held up the blanket in askance.

Gideon nodded, waiting until Hotch had all but wrapped him in a hug before whispering, "All the kids tucked in?"

Hotch nodded. "Something like that." Making sure his body blocked JJ or Emily from seeing, he leaned a few inches farther and pressed his lips to Gideon's, sharing a slow, sleepy kiss. Reluctantly, he backed away and settled in his own chair, pulling the blanket up around his shoulders. "Good night, Gideon."

"Mmhmm." Gideon's eyes shut as sleep dragged him under again. "G'night."

 

end

Series this work belongs to: