Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 24 of Of Innocence and Empathy
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
538
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
1,627

Of Innocence and Empathy: Logical Discourse

Summary:

Series: Of Innocence and Empathy
Beta: None
Rating: uh. mention of a homosexual relationship? I hate looking the ratings up now.
Disclaimer: I don't own them. Damnit.
Challenge: 50episodes – Criminal Minds, Morgan/Reid
Table: 2
Prompt: Writer's Choice - Table 1, prompt 48. Surprised.
Word Count: 525
Author's Note: Occurs a few days after Generous in Spirit.
Submitted through CriminalMinds_slash

Work Text:

 

Of Innocence and Empathy: Logical Discourse
by Frogg

 

 

"--and that would be Morgan," Hotch interrupted himself at the familiar knock at the door.

Gideon nodded at Hotch's questioning glance.

"At least it doesn't sound like an emergency," Hotch muttered as he got to his feet.

"I'm not sure what an emergency would be, now, since he's got Reid's room key," Gideon answered wryly.

"True." He opened the door.

"You busy? I need to talk to you and Gideon..." Morgan didn't quite explain.

Hotch nodded, backing up and letting him into the room, then shutting the door.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but I didn't want to have this discussion back at headquarters, or somewhere the rest of the team could overhear."

Gideon nodded, watching intently.

"What seems to be the problem?" Hotch asked, wishing he hadn't yet changed to his undershirt and sweats. Morgan might feel comfortable talking business barefoot, in t-shirt and ratty jeans, but Hotch liked a little more psychological armor.

"I don't know if it's relevant anymore, but Emily's been..." Morgan stopped, biting his lower lip viciously, seeming unwilling to continue.

"She's been trying to make herself a place on the team over Reid," Gideon finished, putting just enough questioning in his voice.

Morgan nodded slowly, eyes dark with suppressed anger. "I called my mom and told her about Spencer Saturday. She told me that Emily pulled rank on him when we were in Chicago." Trying to clear my name, he didn't add, and didn't need to. "I can take her attitude, but Spencer can't. Or won't."

"I don't want to sit down and talk with her about it unless it becomes more of a problem, but I have noticed, and I'm taking it into account on case assignments. I won't be assigning them as partners unless I don't have any other choice."

Nodding, Morgan relaxed somewhat. "Thanks," he said simply, glancing from Hotch to Gideon, and then, after Gideon nodded in agreement, around the room.

"Was there anything else?" Hotch prompted, watching the blinked double-take, hearing the gears whir in Morgan's head. While Gideon often came to Hotch's room to discuss a case, there was no reason for his luggage to be there, too. Not when they had separate rooms.

Morgan looked back at him in askance. "I don't mean to pry, and it really is none of my business, but does Haley--"

"Haley knows. You want to call her and ask?" Hotch offered, a wry smile turning up one corner of his mouth.

Eyes wide in surprise, Morgan rocked back on his heels. "Okay," he answered slowly. "Wasn't expecting that, but hey..."

"It's not something we want publicized," Gideon added.

Morgan nodded. "Understood. I never saw a thing." He paused. "I don't think it would surprise Spencer, but your secret's safe with me."

Gideon smiled. "All things considered, I don't think it would surprise him at all."

Remembering Spencer's penchant for calling him 'Mom', Hotch's shoulders shook in silent laughter, glancing at Gideon in silent understanding.

"That all?" Gideon asked, letting Hotch regain his composure.

Morgan nodded. "That's all I wanted to ask about. Good night, Gideon, Hotch," he added, turning for the door.

"Good night, Morgan."

 

end

Series this work belongs to: