Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,589
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
3
Kudos:
21
Bookmarks:
3
Hits:
2,259

It's all over but the shouting

Summary:

Ray realizes that his feelings for Stella have irrevocably changed when she decides to defend a child molester as a favor to the Mayor. And Fraser proves himself in an unexpected way. Sappy with a side of sweet.

Work Text:

    

Ray stiffened. “What? Tell me I did not just hear you say that!” he demanded.

 

On the other side of the glass Fraser bit his lip and murmured, “Oh dear.”

 

The defendant’s lawyer, Stella Kowalski, also known as Ray’s ex, gave him a glare. “Detective, you have no say in this!”

 

“No, no way are you letting that psychopath go!” Ray shot to his feet and pointed at the Mayor’s Press officer, also currently their prime suspect in a child molestation case.

 

They’d been called when a nine year old boy of government employee had committed suicide and Ray and Fraser had found the poor kid’s notebook with the reason why and the name of his attacker written in a childish scrawl. .

 

“Ray,” Stella said sharply. “There’s no proof except a child’s accusation.”

 

“A ~dead~ child, Stell,” Ray shot back. “What kinda reason did he have to lie about something like this?”

 

Stella rolled her eyes patronizingly, and Fraser could see the look of betrayal that passed over Ray’s face. This was bad.

 

“I must confess, Detective,” the press officer whose name was Jeff Landry, drawled slowly. “I can’t believe you let such a woman go.”

 

Ray stiffened and Fraser lunged for the door, swinging it open and smiling politely. “Detective, I believe Lt. Welsh is looking for you,” he lied quickly.  He could see Ray didn’t buy it but nodded anyway.

 

“I guess you’ve bought your way outta it this time, Landry. But make no mistake, we’re watching you.”

 

“Can I construe this as a threat?” Landry asked mildly as he rose to his feet, ostentatiously adjusting his cufflinks.

 

Fraser watched as Ray grinned, showing his teeth exactly like Diefenbaker did before he attacked. “Just a promise,” and he headed out of the room and down the hall.

 

Stella sighed. “Thank you, Constable.”

 

“You’re welcome, but I didn’t do it for you, Assistant District Atorney Kowalski,” Fraser said politely, watching impassively as her eyes narrowed and her lips went white.

 

“Make sure he understands that there is to be no publicity,” she responded sharply.

 

Fraser nodded. “The detective has a strong grasp of his job description,” he said and headed down the passageway after his partner.

 

*

 

He found Ray banging things around on his desk, all restless pissed off energy. Diefenbaker was watching the man with concern. “Ray?”

 

“He did it, Frase. I know he did.”

 

“Agreed,” Fraser said softly. “However, Mr. Landry’s lawyer was quite correct. Aside from poor Jonathon’s note, we have no proof.”

 

Ray sighed and sank into his chair. “I don’t know what’s worse, knowing we can’t prove it and give him and his folks justice, or Stella helping that sleaze bag.” Diefenbaker placed his chin on Ray’s knee and he absently rubbed the wolf’s ears while he stared into the distance.

 

After standing indecisively for a moment, Fraser sat down in the folding chair. “Would you like to go to Chow Fat’s?” he asked, naming their favorite Chinese place.

 

“Not hungry, buddy. But thanks for askin’. I think I’ll just stay here and work. Welsh won’t care if I crash on his couch,” Ray said tiredly.

 

Fraser nodded slowly. That meant that someone would be there all night and see Ray. “Very well, I’ll come by late tomorrow, then.”

  

It was a very good thing that Ray had an iron clad alibi because everyone, which meant Welsh, the DA and Stella could all see he when he stumbled out of Welsh’s office that he didn’t have a clue why they were all shouting.

 

“Can ~someone~ buy me a clue about what’s goin’ on?” Ray asked reasonably. “And Frannie,” he called, “for the love of God could you bring me some coffee?”

 

“If you didn’t work all night and flake out on the Lieutenant’s couch then maybe you wouldn’t look like shit,” Frannie sniped back as her heels tap tapped to the coffee room.

 

“Detective, you didn’t leak the story?” the DA asked severely, waving a newspaper.

 

Ray took the proffered paper and flipped it open. On the front page was the story about his and Fraser’s dead boy and their suspect, who was still on the streets due to the lousy DA’s office and not because the cops wanted him to be.  “Wow, I didn’t know anything about this, but it sure makes us look good, don’t it, Lieu?” he said.

 

Welsh rolled his eyes. “Do you know who leaked the story, Detective?”

 

“Nope,” Ray said promptly, though he had a very strong suspicion.

   

Lunchtime brought Ray the welcome sight of a red hot Mountie, a wolf and what looked a full bag from their favorite deli. “You are a sight for sore eyes.”

 

Fraser’s eyebrow rose. “What’s happened?”

 

Ray rolled his eyes and snatched the bag. “It’s a dance, Frase. Fancy footwork, you set ‘em up and I knock ‘em down.”

 

“A duet,” Fraser said with a small smile as he sat down and accepted a sandwich for himself, watching Ray place one on a paper plate for Diefenbaker and set in on the floor.

 

“Exactimundo,” Ray said with a grin before he bit into the sandwich. He chewed it quickly, took a big gulp of his cold coffee and leaned back into his seat with a sigh. “Thanks, Frase.”

 

“I have no idea…” Fraser began when there was a commotion at the door.

 

“You bastard,” Landry spat as he strode in, handcuffed and a new bruise on his face.  “I’ll sue you for defamation of character!”

 

Ray eyed the furious man, then his cop escort. “What’s goin’ on, Hewey?”

 

Detective Hewey gave the suspect a disgusted look. “Another set of parents called early this morning. Said that Landry molested their kid, too.”

 

“Really,” Ray said, carefully placing his sandwich on his desk and getting to his feet. “What do they call that, Frase?”

 

“I believe they call that a pattern of behavior, Ray,” Fraser answered dutifully. “I would pose the question of how many more children there are that have not felt safe to come forward until now?”

 

“Yeah,” Ray said, leaning against his desk, a pose that was deceptively relaxed, except Fraser could see the muscles cording in Ray’s arms.

 

“You can’t prove anything!” Landry snarled as he was led to an interrogation room. “I’ll get out of here and make you pay!”

 

“Yeah, let’s see if you get outta there, you…” Ray scowled as Fraser’s big hand came over his mouth.

 

“Little pitchers, Ray,” Fraser informed him patiently. At Ray’s confused noise, he jerked his head to a child and his parents who’d just entered the bullpen.

 

When Fraser lifted his hand, Ray nodded and went over to the family. “Hey, I’m Detective Kowalski. How can I help you?”

 

The little boy didn’t meet his eyes, but he did smile when Diefenbaker came up and slurped up the side of his face.

 

*

 

It was late when Ray and Fraser arrived at Ray’s apartment. Fraser watched as Ray hung up his keys and then went to slouch at the table, his shoulders slumped.

 

“You did very well with those parents, Ray,” he said gently.

 

“I wanted to pull Landry’s balls out through his nose, then kick him in the head,” Ray said.

 

“So you told Ms.  Kowalski,” Fraser replied, his sense of ironic humor kicking in. He still relished the tongue lashing that Ray had given his ex-wife, pointing out that ~he’d ~ been right while she was all about padding her bottom line, and it was great, excellent even, that they hadn’t had kids if this was the kind of client she was going to defend.

 

Ray sighed. “I cannot believe that she’s gonna defend that mutt.” At Dief’s offended bark, he patted the deaf wolf’s head. “Sorry, pal. I meant disgusting piece of humanity that should be locked away and the key lost for good.” Dief whined agreement.

 

Fraser stiffly sat down in the other chair, placing his Stetson on the table. “Well, you know what they say. A child molester is a child molester is a child molester.”

 

“Yeah, I know.” Ray looked at Fraser, and Fraser could see the warm affection in those beloved eyes. “Thanks, Frase,” Ray said softly.

 

“I would do anything for you, Ray,” Fraser said seriously.

 

Ray cocked his head. “Anything?”

 

Confused, Fraser nodded. “I did just say…” then his eyes fluttered shut when Ray leaned over and pressed a butterfly gentle kiss to his lips.

 

Huskily now, Ray repeated, “Anything, Frase?”

 

Fraser smiled. “Anything, and anywhere,” he said sincerely. After all, he’d followed Ray back to Chicago.

 

Ray’s eyebrows went up to his hairline. “Really?”

 

Mentally going over his words, and ignoring the smart comment from Diefenbaker, Ben rolled his eyes. “I meant I’d follow you anywhere, Ray. Not perform sexual acts in public places if that’s what you’re insinuating.”

 

“Damn,” Ray pouted. “I feel like there’s been false advertising.” Dief snorted from under the table.

 

Fraser smiled, stood and held out his hand. “Let’s adjourn to your bedroom, shall we?”

 

“And ~then~ we can do anything?” Ray teased, taking Fraser’s hand and letting himself be pulled close.

 

Sucking in a breath when Ray nuzzled his cheek, Fraser nodded. “Anything,” he promised.

 

Ray smiled against Fraser’s cheek. “Then I’ll follow you anywhere.”