Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,148
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
1,268

Chalk War 2: Chalk D�©tente

Summary:

Charlie emerges from the garage.

Work Text:

Chalk Détente—

Charlie stretched with a satisfied sigh. The math had really flowed this afternoon, and in an exciting new direction. Charlie’s stomach rumbled and he wondered why. He’d just eaten lunch. He looked around to see if he still had that bag of potato chips out here and saw a plate of food, a fork and napkin next to it. Frowning, he went over – hamburger macaroni and cheese, which meant Nena must have cooked. He reached for the plate and realized the food was cold, the cheese congealed. He’d just have to warm it up. He should really get a microwave out here. How did Colby know he’d be hungry in the middle of the afternoon? Charlie picked up the plate, then paused, a sinking feeling in his stomach.

His eyes flashed towards the clock on the wall and he winced. Eight o’clock. He’d been at the math for six hours. No wonder his back ached. And … his stomach sank further as he remembered what had started him off on this math direction to start with – Nena’s chalkboard invasion. He thought he might have yelled at her … Then Colby had said something about coming into the house when he wanted to have an adult conversation.

Charlie sighed deeply, wondering why his life had become so complicated. It used to be only his dad that would chastise him for staying all day in the garage, and his dad never messed with his chalkboards. Now he had two more people to offer explanations to. Charlie picked up the plate and, hunching his shoulders, went into the house.

Colby was sitting on the floor, watching TV. Nena was in the chair behind him, running a brush through Colby’s short hair and chattering.

Nena stopped as Charlie came in and Colby looked up.

“Hey,” Charlie said awkwardly. “I guess I missed dinner.”

“Yeah,” Colby said. “Nena, do you have something to say to Charlie?”

Nena nodded. “’m sorry for messin’ up your maf.”

“And?” Colby prompted.

“Umm, oh, it don’t matter if it don’t look like maf that it’s Charlie’s ‘n I shouldn’t bover it no matter if is on chalkboard or paper or or compooter”

“Right, good girl.”

“I’m sorry for yelling at you,” Charlie said.

“Is okay,” Nena said with an elaborate shrug.

Colby smiled at Nena. “Hon, it’s almost bedtime. Why don’t you go upstairs and get into your PJ’s and brush your teeth and pick out a book?”

“’Kay,” Nena said and hopped off the chair. Charlie watched her run up the stairs, knowing that later they’d probably find her playing with Rocko instead of getting ready for bed.

“Hey,” Colby said. “You hungry?”

Charlie looked down at the plate in his hands. “Yeah.”

Colby got up and gently took the plate from Charlie’s hands. “Why don’t I heat that up?”

Charlie nodded and followed Colby into the kitchen. He watched in silence as Colby put the plate into the microwave and punched some buttons. When the microwave started running, Colby asked, “Were you able to recreate it all?”

“Huh?”

“The math that Nena wrote on. I figured that you’ve been trying to recreate it.”

“Oh, no, I have a near eidetic memory when it comes to numbers, so that wasn’t a problem.”

“Good!” Colby said with relief. “I know that was months of work.”

“I got an idea, in fact, from one of Nena’s drawings, and I’ve been working on it. It’s actually quite exciting, with possibilities for—”

“I’m glad,” Colby interrupted him before he could get started. “But that still doesn’t make it okay.” His face serious, he took hold of Charlie’s hands. “I know you never asked for a five-year-old to come live with you, and things are usually fine. But when Nena messes up we need to talk about it calmly and try not to yell, okay?”

“Yeah,” Charlie said, ducking his head. “Sorry I yelled at her.”

“I’m sorry I called you a child,” Colby said. “I just …” He shrugged uncomfortably. “Protective instincts, you know?”

“She can have a chalkboard of her own,” Charlie said. “And even … I’ll even get her some colored chalk.”

Colby smiled. “Even if you call colored chalk a crime against nature?”

Charlie nodded, a smile creeping onto his own face.

Colby grabbed him into a tight hug. “You’re a good daddy. Even good daddies yell sometimes. I know I do.”

Charlie returned his hug, glad that Colby understood. Colby really hated anyone yelling in anger. Charlie wondered if it had something to do with Colby’s childhood or maybe his army experience.

The microwave dinged and they pulled apart. For a moment, they busied themselves getting out supper and setting a place at the table. Charlie poured himself a glass of milk and sat down at the table.

Colby came up behind him and put his hands on Charlie’s shoulders. He let Charlie take a few bites of food before he started massaging Charlie’s shoulders and neck. Charlie sighed with contentment as Colby’s strong hands worked out the knots caused by too many hours at the chalkboard.

As he worked out a particularly tight muscle in Charlie’s left shoulder, Colby said, “I’ve tried to get Nena to understand that the garage is your office, not her playground, but she likes to be around you.”

“I like her to be around, usually,” Charlie said around a mouthful of food. “Sometimes she even asks me questions or says something that really helps out.”

Colby’s arms slid around Charlie’s shoulders and he put his cheek against Charlie’s hair, his lips near Charlie’s ear. “I’ll tell you a secret. If you ever want Nena to leave you alone, turn on your speakers and play Crystal Method or Prodigy or something like that and she’ll clear out quick.”

“Really?”

“Yeah,” Colby said, a laugh in his voice. “She called it ‘Charlie’s icky boom music.’”

Charlie chuckled. “I’ll remember that.”

Colby straightened up. “I’ll go see what Nena is up to. When you’re done with supper, it’s your turn to read tonight.”

“God, not another chapter of that awful Nancy Drew.”

“Most likely,” Colby said. “It’s not that bad.”

“It’s so stupid,” Charlie groaned. “I can feel my brain atrophying just reading it.”

“Not everyone likes Einstein as a bedtime story,” Colby said. “When she’s all tucked in, come to our bedroom and I’ll work the muscles in your lower back.”

Charlie smiled as Colby’s warm tone implied other relaxing activities as well. Colby dropped a kiss on the top of his head and left Charlie to finish his supper. Charlie ate automatically, his mind on this afternoon’s – this evening’s math. Then he noticed that the short, straight noodles were perfect for making all sorts of mathematical symbols. Humming happily, Charlie made equations on his plate and forgot about going upstairs until Colby called down for him.