Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2007-07-16
Words:
3,917
Chapters:
2/2
Comments:
6
Kudos:
17
Bookmarks:
3
Hits:
1,934

The Return

Summary:

Fandom: Matrix
Pairing: Neo/Trinity, Neo/Morpheus (pre-slashy)
Rating: PG
spoilers: all three movies
warnings: angst, un-beta'd
summary: Neo wakes up.
notes: caught the end of Revolutions tonight and went in search of fic only to find none. so I wrote this. if you want more, let me know, otherwise consider this a one-shot deal.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter Text

 

The Return
by nancy
the_tenth_muse1@yahoo.com

 

Neo woke slowly, the cold bone-deep throughout his body and the darkness surrounding him pervasive. He was blind. Completely blind, without the golden light from before to guide him. His body ached, but in a vague way that said he was already healing from what should have been a death-match. After losing Trinity, he'd certainly planned not to survive destroying Smith and saving Zion.

Best laid plans, he thought in dark humor.

Sighing, Neo felt around and discovered metal with every touch. That was no surprise. He pushed upright carefully, not sure what to expect as he explored outward with his hands. Neo found a wall and used it to stand as he called out, "Hello?"

Silence. He grimaced and walked forward, hand sliding along the wall to keep his bearings. Another wall came up fairly quickly, indicating a turn and he followed the corner.

"You will stop."

Neo stopped at the mechanized voice, canting his head in its direction. "Where am I?"

"You will stop."

"That's helpful," he muttered.

"You will stop."

Raising his hands, Neo promised, "I'm stopped. I'll stay right here. Just wondering where `here' is."

Movement vibrated below, the now-familiar sensation of a ship getting under way telling him that he might be alone, but likely wouldn't stay that way for long. Neo decided to sit, not knowing how long they would be in transit, and didn't get another admonition to stay put. Taking that as a good sigh, he leaned back against the wall and didn't bother to wonder what would happen next. His days of fighting were done. All he wanted was to get warm and sleep; hopefully forever.

Or at least until he could join Trinity.

The ship slowed some timeless period later and then came to a complete stop. Moments later, that same mechanized voice ordered, "You will come."

Neo stood and asked, "Where?"

"Forward."

He followed the voice as it called out directions. It was only a few minutes before he felt a breeze and sensed they were nearing the exit. His hand hit a rail and he used it for balance as he walked down two steps onto what felt like stone.

"Neo?"

Stiffening, he replied, "Morpheus?"

"Holy God, look at you," the other man breathed, just loud enough to hear.

Neo's lips twisted. "I think I'm glad that I can't."

Strong hands gripped his shoulders and he jumped in fright at the unexpected contact.

"Sorry, didn't mean to startle you," Morpheus murmured. "Are you all right? Can you walk?"

Nodding, Neo said, "I'm fine, just a little blind right now."

Morpheus pulled him in close, arms sliding gently around Neo's shoulders. "I thought I'd lost you. It's been so long."

Neo returned the hug, sinking against the big man's chest and letting the other hold him up as he asked, "How long?"

"Almost a year."

A year. He'd been in the care of the machines for almost an entire year. Struggling against the displacement, Neo distanced himself from Morpheus as he prompted, "Zion?"

"Safe. You did it, Neo. The machines haven't touched us since that last day. There's been an influx of newcomers, too. We've rebuilt what was destroyed and even expanded, but come, we should talk about this later. Everyone will want to see you."

"Can we…" Neo's voice trailed off.

Morpheus' hand tightened on his shoulder. "What is it?"

Feeling like a coward, Neo requested, "Can you not tell anyone I'm back? I'm so tired, Morpheus. Please, I just want to get warm."

There was a longish pause before Morpheus agreed, "Of course. Whatever you want. Here, take my coat. It has a hood. I'll bring you in through a smaller entryway."

"Thank you," Neo sighed.

Morpheus guided his arms into the coat which was, naturally, too big for him. Neo liked that, though. It meant he could wrap himself in the leftover warmth of his friend's body heat. It smelled like the big man, too; cinnamon and some other sharp spice that always reminded him of winter holidays. Fake ones, since he'd been in the Matrix at those celebrations, but the associations were there.

Putting an arm around Neo's waist, Mopheus said, "This way, Neo. You'll stay with me."

Neo nodded and leaned against him as they walked slowly through the city he'd saved, but could no longer see. He heard people going about their business, talking and laughing and even arguing and it sent a slice of pain through him. It felt like he'd just lost Trin, but she'd been gone for almost a year. Her body had probably been reclaimed by the machines to fuel those still hooked into the Matrix.

It wasn't too much longer that they arrived at what was, presumably, Morpheus' home and the other man told him, "We're in the main room now. Bedroom is off to the right about twelve paces, bathroom is inside the bedroom. Come on, I'll get you there this time."

Meaning he was on his own after that. Grinning faintly at that, glad for the normalcy, Neo managed to tease, "You sentimentalist, you."

Morpheus chuckled, a low, deep sound that soothed and lightened him. It took a few minutes to show him where everything was; bed, dresser, bathroom, toilet, sink. Everything seemed very functional and very Morpheus. Nothing frivolous or out of place, thanks to too many years on the run and fighting.

After relieving himself with a groan of mixed pain and pleasure, Neo found his way to the bed and collapsed on it.

"Come on, under the covers," Morpheus ordered.

Neo groaned again, too tired to do more than flop in the general right way when urged by Morpheus' big hands. Once settled against the pillows and relative softness of the mattress, Neo sighed deeply and murmured, "Thanks. Got any more blankets?"

"Sure, hold on."

A few seconds later, added weight pressed down on him and Neo burrowed into the warmth.

"Sleep, Neo. I've got you now."

Nodding at the firm command, relaxing at it, Neo yawned hugely and drifted to sleep wondering if he imagined the hand stroking softly over his hair.

* * * *

Morpheus stared down at the scarred man in his bed and, even though his hand moved slowly over Neo's hair, couldn't truly believe that he was there. After that final battle, after the machines had simply left and never returned, he'd convinced himself that both Trinity and Neo were dead. That they'd given their lives to save Zion.

First weeks, and then months had passed and those thoughts had seemed vindicated. His heart had remained hollow, cold, and empty, despite Niobe's attempts to thaw it. He threw himself into the plans for rebuilding and expanding Zion, once it became apparent that the machines weren't coming back.

Lock's terse command to report to the docks had brought him running, but finding the machine there had sent a bolt of fear through him knowing that they certainly weren't prepared for battle. Thankfully, all that had happened was the door had opened and Neo had slowly, painfully, shuffled out. Even now, Morpheus was positive that Neo didn't know that he was nude. The scars over the pale, pale skin were plentiful, but the worst were his eyes with the lids sealed shut in ragged lines. The hood had been partially to block the sight of those terrible scars.

There'd been a lot of people on the dock, all armed to the teeth, but no one had moved at the pitiful sight of Neo stopping just outside the ship. Hands outstretched, so obviously blind and helpless, Neo had evoked the most primitive of his instincts. It had been all Morpheus could do to restrain himself from grabbing Neo and screaming his fury at the machine. His vaunted control had hung by a thread as Morpheus forced himself to speak cautiously with his friend, uncertain what mental state he would find.

It was due to the respect and, quite possibly, the awe people had for Neo that no one had alerted the broken man to their presence. No matter what he was now, Neo had saved them all at a great, personal cost.

Trinity, he thought, pained. What happened to her?

But he knew. There was only one thing that would part them, and that was death.

Sighing, Morpheus stood and then hesitated. Taking a quick glimpse to be sure no one had followed him in, he leaned back down and pressed his lips to Neo's forehead, lingering. He straightened reluctantly, wishing he could stay to keep watch, but knowing others waited for answers. Not that he would be able to tell them anything, really, except that it really was Neo and he slept.

He took a last look at Neo, wondering if the other man would ever lose that tight, pinched expression, even in his sleep. Shaking off the useless question, he closed the bedroom door softly and then left his apartment. It wasn't a big surprise to find the hallway packed with people; word traveled fast. Lock, Niobe, Linc, and a few of the Councilors were all in the front nearest his door.

"Well?" Lock demanded.

Morpheus shrugged. "He's exhausted, but it's him. I left him sleeping. He doesn't want to see anyone."

Linc asked quietly, "Trinity?"

"Dead," Morpheus stated, though he had no such confirmation. "Best thing we can do right now is let him sleep and get his strength back. We'll get answers about what happened when he's better."

"All right, you heard the man, move out!" Lock bellowed. "Clear this hall and get back to your business! When we know, you'll know! Move it, people!"

He caught Niobe's eye and let her into his apartment, shutting the door behind them to block out the noise. He was pretty sure that Neo wouldn't wake short of a nuclear blast, but better safe than sorry.

"Can you arrange to have some food brought?" he asked.

Her eyebrows went up. "That's it? You brought me in to ask about a food delivery?"

Morpheus shrugged. "He's going to be hungry when he wakes up and I can't leave him."

"Morpheus, you can't tell me that this hasn't rocked you to your foundations!" Niobe exclaimed. "This is what you've been waiting for all along. The reason that you couldn't move on with your life."

`Our life,' hung in the air between them.

He thought about it for a long moment, then told her, "The only thing I can think about right now is taking care of Neo. He's hurt, he's in pain, and he needs a friend. Once he's better, then I can think about… other things."

Niobe shook her head and countered, "You'll avoid this discussion forever, if I let you."

"I won't, I promise. Just, not right now, all right?"

"Fine. But we're going to talk about this."

He followed her to the door and asked, "You'll have food brought up?"

"Yes," she replied, exasperated. "Food will arrive around dinner."

Opening the door, he said, "Thank you, Niobe."

"You don't deserve me," she retorted, flashing a brief grin.

He smiled in return and agreed, "I don't," and watched her walk down the now-empty corridor. Shutting the door, he then leaned against it and stared at the ceiling. He hadn't been lying when he'd told her that he couldn't think about them right then. What he hadn't told her was that there was nothing to think about. In a choice between Neo and Niobe, Neo would win, every time.

Pushing off the door, Morpheus headed for the bedroom to resume his vigil.

 

end