Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
11,878
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
2,392

A Gift From The Past

Summary:

Lom sends the boys to a family for a job, but they find so much more

Work Text:

 

A Gift From The Past
DorothyPC

 

The small town was quiet, most of the people asleep as the two dusty cowboys softly rode into town. They were tired, real tired. They had ridden for over a week to get here, a telegram from an old friend sending them there for a job on a nearby ranch.

It was still a long ride to the McCarroll ranch, they would stay the rest of the night at the hotel then go on in the morning.

They rode on to the livery, the quiet broken as the dark haired man began coughing. His partner glanced over at him but said nothing. They entered the livery and dismounted.

A sleepy boy called down from the loft "There's two stalls on the end, hay and oats are in the stalls already. Water buckets there too. Fifty cents each for the night and tomorrow. Leave the money on the barrel by the door when ya leave." he yawned and went back to sleep.

They looked at each other and began to unsaddle their horses.

The dark haired man began to cough again. He rested his head on his horses shoulder as he caught his breath.

"Joshua, you okay?" asked the blonde curly haired young man looking over at his partner. All he could see of him was the top of his black cowboy hat.

"Yeah, it's just a little dusty in here."

The Kid looked at his best friend. It was a barn they were in of course it was dusty, but Heyes had been coughing on and off for the last few days on an open trail, there was no dust then. They finished with the horses, then walked to the hotel their saddlebags hanging over their shoulders. They signed the register taking the key Heyes started up the stairs when his friend called to him.

"You wanna get something to eat?" asked Kid.

Heyes turned a little toward him, his dark eyes covered by his hat "No, you get something. I'm going on up." he turned and went up the stairs.

Curry turned back to the hotel keeper. He was paying no mind to either man, he stood reading an old newspaper. "Is there someplace I could get some food to take up to my room?"

"Try the kitchen." the man replied waving his hand toward the dining area.

Curry looked at the man. The people in this town sure didn't care if you helped yourself. He walked through the dining area into the kitchen. No one was there. There was a loaf of bread on the table. He walked over to the cooler looking inside. There was some fried chicken, cold potatoes, and half an apple pie. He found the plates, filled one with chicken and potatoes. He put the pie on top, then the bread on top of that. He covered the pile of food with a cloth napkin, then went up stairs. He hoped there was a pitcher of water in the room.

As he neared the room he heard Heyes' coughing through the door. He listened for a moment, his head down then he gave the door a rap. "It's me, open the door."

He heard the bed creak, then a moment later the door opened a crack then all the way.

Heyes had his boots off as well as his shirt. His holster hung on the bed. He had a book in his hand. He looked very pale, but it was on the dark side with only one lamp lit in the room.

"I brought up some chicken and cold potatoes. C'mon let's eat."

"You go ahead Kid, I'm not hungry." Heyes lay down on the bed again opening his book.

"Heyes you gotta be hungry. We haven't eaten since sunup. Here." he walked over to his partner with a drumstick in his hand, and one in his mouth. "Try this it ain't bad."

Heyes took the drumstick without taking his eyes off the book he was reading.

Curry went back to the food and picked up a potato. He was worried about his partner, his best friend. The guy hardly ever slept and ate even less. The man's mind was always working. The only time he actually let himself relax was when he was reading a book.

He looked at his partner through the mirror. The book lay open on his chest, his eyes were closed. The uneaten chicken leg on the floor near his lowered arm.

Kid shook his head, he shoved the potato in his mouth and walked over to his friend sleeping on the bed. He picked up the book by Mark Twain, laughing to himself. Mark Twain, had to be an alias. No one had a real name like that. He tossed the book onto the overstuffed chair in the corner of the room.

He moved Heyes enough to pull out the covers, then pulled them up over the man. He grinned at Heyes, usually it was Heyes that was covering him with a blanket.

----------------------------------------

Heyes continued to cough through the night. After a couple of hours of sleep, he awoke to a coughing fit. He spit up green phlegm into the chamber pot. His throat felt raw, his head ached.

Kid slept soundly.

A shiver ran through Heyes' body. He wasn't feeling too well and it scared him. He didn't feel in control of his body. He slowly got out of bed.

Kid turned in his sleep but didn't wake. His belly was full, Heyes glanced at the chicken bones and empty pie plate.

He smiled, the guy could eat. No doubt he'd be hungry for breakfast come morning.

He walked over to the chair pulling on his black shirt, buttoning it up. Then sitting in the chair he pulled his boots on. Another coughing fit shook his body. He spit into the pot again. He had to hold the coughing back, he couldn't let Kid know he was sick.

He leaned back in the chair, closing his eyes. He could breathe easier sitting up this way. They had been running from yet another posse. Easily leaving them behind, they had to cross a river. Kid's horse made it across with no problem, but his horse stumbled dumping him into the freezing rushing water.

He managed to get back on his horse but was drenched head to toe, as well as his extra clothes in his saddle bags. He spent a cold wet night sleeping in the rocks. He didn't want to take off his wet clothes in case they had to leave quickly, even though Kid thought they should take the chance.

He wouldn't let Kid make a fire either. That posse was still out there somewhere and he didn't want to take the chance of them seeing the fire. Well, now he was sick, and he knew what Kid would say. He always had to have it his way, never listen to him. He could just hear Kid, and deep down he knew Kid was right. He'd been looking after Curry since they lost their families in the war, true Kid saved his life on more then one occasion, but Heyes was the leader.

He covered himself with his corduroy jacket. It was still damp. He spent the rest of the night sitting up in the chair trying not to cough, but not doing a very well at.

____________________________________________

Curry rolled over and ran his hand over his face, opening his eyes he saw his partner sitting in the chair, dressed shaved with a small grin on his face. His dimples always there even with the smallest of smiles. His face was pale, eyes red. "Heyes you alright?" he mumbled.

"Yeah Kid, fine."

"You don't look fine, been up long?" he asked getting out of bed and stretching.

"Long enough to be ready to head out to the McCarroll spread. Find out about them jobs." Heyes rasped.

Curry watched his friend, cousin really as he dressed. Heyes was sick. He wouldn't admit it, but he knew he was. Kid didn't know if he should say something to the man. Heyes could be real moody sometimes, especially when he realized he wasn't fooling him.

Kid said nothing. He grabbed a fast shave, ran his fingers through his blonde curls. "You ready for breakfast?" Kid asked.

Heyes rose out of the chair, the room swayed a little, but he kept himself in check, putting on his hat, he picked up his gear. He walked as steady as he could out the door "let's go."

Curry grabbed his stuff and followed.

They paid the bill then walked across to the café. They sat at a table in the corner so they could see the door. The waitress took their orders.

Curry watched his friend, he could see the pulse throbbing in his neck. Heyes had his hat lowered over his eyes so Curry couldn't see them. "Damn you Heyes" Curry thought "Why won't you just come out and say that your sick!"

"You still got that telegram Lom sent?" Kid asked.

Heyes nodded, he reached into his pocket, pulled it out, tossed it to Kid. He picked it up and read it again. "It doesn't say what the job is."

"It didn't say what the job was last time you read it either."

Kid ignored the remark. "What ya s'pose it is?"

"Won't know till we get there." Heyes said. His chest hurt. It was hard to breathe.

Curry wanted to say something smart back at Heyes, but he held himself back. Heyes really didn't look well.

The waitress came over with their food. Kid's plate was heaped with eggs, bacon and flapjacks. Heyes plate had a couple of eggs. They both had coffee. Curry was half finished when he noticed his partner wasn't eating. He sat slouched in his chair with his elbows resting on the arms of the chair. He held his coffee in both hands, near his mouth but not drinking. His eyes were closed.

Curry leaned in closer. "Heyes," he whispered "ain't ya gonna eat?"

"Hmmm."

"You haven't eaten anything in two days. C'mon eat." Kid urged.

"Ain't hungry."

"How we s'pose to handle them jobs if'n your starving?"

"Ain't starving. You ready to go?"

"Your about the thickest," he let what he was going to say drop. "Let's go." He tossed his napkin on his plate, standing up. His chair scraping against the floor.

Heyes tossed some money on the table. They left the café. They walked to the livery, Heyes couldn't hold in the coughing as they crossed the street. He got control as they neared the livery. Heyes went to his horse and began to saddle up. He was sweating, he could feel it trickling down his sideburns.

Curry was talking to the livery keeper. No doubt getting directions to the McCarroll Ranch.

He went to his horse tossing on the saddle. "We have a three hour ride. You gonna make it?"

"Why wouldn't I" was the raspy reply, "we should let Lom know we're here."

Curry nodded, they headed for the telegraph office. Heyes made no move to send it. Curry picked up a pencil and paper and wrote, To Lom Trevors, Marshall Porterville. Lom have reached Granite Falls, stop Will be at McCarroll ranch Later today. Stop Will let you know how it goes. As ever T. Jones. J. Smith. He handed the paper to Heyes. "How's this." he asked.

Heyes read it and asked for the pencil, he crossed out all but Lom Trevors, Porterville. Reached Granite Falls. McCarroll, later. Jones, Smith. He handed it back to Kid.

He read it. "Why do you always do that?"

"Ten cents a word, that's why."

"Next time you send it." Curry shoved the paper at the telegraph man and paid him.

They swung up on their horses and headed out. The ride was long, the sun hot. Heyes was feeling the heat. His chest was burning, there was a rattling in his lungs that scared him. He began to fall behind Kid, who rode seeming not to notice the distance that was growing between them. They were about halfway to the ranch when Kid noticed Heyes was no longer with him. He turned his horse and went back.

Heyes' horse was cropping grass by the side of the road. He looked for his friend and saw him off to the side. He was on his hands and knees, his body shaking as he desperately tried to breathe.

Heyes knew he was falling behind Kid. It was so hot, and he couldn't breathe. He felt himself start to sway, he couldn't get any air. His lungs felt full, there was no room for air. He let himself slide off his horse. He was so dizzy. He stumbled to the side of the road into the shade of some trees. It was a little cooler there.

Falling to his knees, he let himself cough. He was wrong to hold the coughing back all this time, afraid to let Kid know just how sick he had become. He was coughing hard, trying to clear his lungs of the mucus that clogged them. He didn't hear Kid approach him.

"Heyes, you stubborn headed mule! Why didn't you say you were sick when I asked you in town? You know town where the Doctor is?"

"You didn't ask if I was sick." Heyes' voice was hoarse, raspy.

"As I recall I did, a couple of times.!"

"No, you asked if I was alright, not if I was sick" Heyes sat down tilting his head back his hat fell to the ground.

Curry got a good look at his best friend, his stomach fell. Heyes was sweating heavily, his face deadly white dark circles under his eyes. His breath came in raspy gasps. It was clear to Kid that it hurt him to breathe. "Heyes you dying?" he asked in a real quiet voice.

"I dunno, feel mighty close to it."

Curry kneeled next to him concern etched on his handsome face. He'd never seen him sick like this before. Sure he'd seen him shot up a couple of times, but never in his life could he recall as sick as this.

"The McCarroll spread is closer then town now. Do you think you can stay on your horse till we get there?"

Heyes gave a slight nod.

Curry put his hat back on his head, then brought his horse closer. "C'mon, I'll help you in the saddle." Kid had to practically force him into the saddle.

Once up Heyes slumped over the horse's neck. Curry climbed onto his own horse, reached for the reins of the other. He pulled the horse up next to him. He would be able to grab the man should he start to fall. Curry kept looking over at Heyes as they made their way toward the ranch.

The coughing was almost nonstop. They were making their way slowly. Kid was afraid that Heyes wouldn't be able to stay up on the horse if they went faster.

By mid afternoon they rounded a bend, the McCarroll main house was in view. "Almost there Heyes, stay with me."

The main house was a large sprawling ranch house. The front porch stretched across the entire front of the house. There were chairs and a double seated swing. Across the yard was the bunkhouse and off to the side a barn and corrals. As they approached the house the door opened, a tall man with greying temples and a moustache came out on the porch, behind him was a chubby grey haired woman. She tried to see around the man. She seemed anxious to see who they were.

"Good afternoon, I'm... we're looking for Mr. McCarroll, Lom Trevors, sent us."

"Well I guess you've found him." the man looked from Curry to Heyes. "what's wrong with him? He isn't drunk is he? I don't like drunks around the main house."

"No Sir, he isn't drunk. A might sick though. He'll be alright." Kid said.

Heyes began to cough long and raspy.

The woman let out an "Oh my!" and ran into the house. She was back very quickly "Johnathan, bring him into the side bedroom!"

"Ma'am, I really don't think..." Curry started but was cut off.

"Don't argue with her son, just do as she says." Johnathan walked over to Heyes and began to pull him off his horse.

Curry was at his side in an instant. He took one side of Heyes while Mr. McCarroll took the other. They went into the house, through the spacious living area into the kitchen, then through a side door into a bedroom.

"This was supposed to be the cooks bedroom, but since Aunt Millie has been here we don't need a cook. She runs the house very well." Johnathan smiled at the stout woman. "Here lie him down." she had the covers pulled down. "Johnathan go get a big pot of water heating, then let me do what I have to here."

"I'll talk to you in a bit." he said to Curry, then left the room.

"You do as I say, take off his boots and clothes. Leave just his under drawers. I want him bare chested. I'll be back in a minute. She hurried out of the room.

Curry watched her go, these people sure were nice letting two total strangers into their house this way. He turned to Heyes pulling off his boots. Then he unbuckled his gun belt and pants pulling them off. He began on his shirt.

By the time Aunt Millie came back Heyes was as she wanted him. She came hurriedly into the room, her arms full. She put the pile of muslin cloths and wool blanket down on the bed, then went back into the kitchen. She came back into the room with a pot of brown goop that smelled awful.

Kid looked into the pot. He pulled back from the smell. "Whew, that's strong stuff. You ain't gonna make him eat that are you?" he asked.

"Eat this?" she said with a chuckle "why no my boy, he's going to wear it."

"Wear it? Him?" he looked from the pot, to Aunt Millie, to Heyes. "Oh boy."

"Sit him up." she ordered.

The Kid did as she asked. He gently sat Heyes up holding him still.

Aunt Millie took the scratchy woolen blanket and folded it into quarters long ways. She laid it on the bed where Heyes back would lie. Then she put some muslin squares on top of that. She brought the pot over to the night stand near the bed. She ladled some of the goo onto the muslin, then covered it with more muslin. "Lie him back down." she ordered.

Kid looked at her, then at his friend. He lowered him onto the goopy cloth.

Heyes started to cough deep and raspy. Aunt Millie clucked to herself. She put muslin squares on his naked chest, then ladled more goo, smearing it evenly. She covered it with more muslin. Then pulling the army blanket tightly around his chest tucking it tightly under him. Then she pulled the bed covers over him. "He's so thin just like...." she whispered.

"Ma'am? Did you say something?" asked Kid. She didn't answer as Heyes began to move around, the fumes from the concoction on his back and chest invading his nostrils. He tried to push it off his chest, but Aunt Millie had him wrapped too tightly. He began to breathe threw his mouth to ease the assault on his nose. The rasp in his chest all too evident to Aunt Millie and Kid.

Heyes opened his eyes slightly, he saw a figure that made him feel comforted. "Ma" he whispered.

"Oh, you poor child." she put a cool cloth on his forehead. "The fever has him."

Curry was real worried. Heyes kept so much inside. He never talked about what happened all those years ago.

Aunt Millie looked at Kid, she smiled at him. "He's going to get well, I've done this before. It will work. Come into the kitchen, I'll get you a piece of pie."

"I think I'll just stay..."

"Nonsense, you'll have pie." she escorted him into the kitchen and cut a wedge of apple pie, then poured him a large glass of.... milk. She pushed Kid onto a chair and handed him a fork.

Curry didn't like to pass up a chance for a piece of apple pie, or any other flavor pie for that matter. He began to eat.

Aunt Millie stood looking at him, a small dreamy smile on her face. "You look so much like your mother." It was Curry's turn to start coughing as he choked on his pie.

"Excuse me Ma'am?" he choked "What did you say?"

"I said you look like your mother, just as Hannibal is the image of his daddy."

"I'm not sure I understand what your saying. His name is Joshua and mine is Thaddeus, and how do you know who we look like?"

Aunt Millie ran her hand over his face, cupping his chin she looked into his sky blue eyes smiling a smile full of love. "Your name is Jedediah Curry and he is Hannibal Heyes. You see I knew your folks and I was there when you were both born. Oh, you were a chubby happy baby."

"I don't..." he stammered.

"You hush and listen to me. I was friends with both of your mothers. Beautiful girls they were. We went to school together and I was there when they married you Pa's. Helped birth you both as well as your brothers and sisters. I knew exactly what to do for Hannibal when I seen how sick he was. You see when he was about five years old he fell into a creek and almost drowned. He got a real bad lung sick from it. His Ma and me made up that poultice and he got better in a few days. He's got it again. He'll get better. Don't fret."

"That's a nice story Ma'am, but my name is Thaddeus Jones and he's Joshua Smith, and we don't have any folks or brothers and sisters. You must have us mixed up with someone else."

"Still trying to stick to that story. Well let me show you this, then you can think on it." she pulled a tintype photograph from her pocket. It was a picture of three young girls. "That's me in the middle. Your Ma's on the right, Han's on the left."

Kid took the picture and looked hard at it. His eyes filled with tears. It was a picture of their Mother's, he looked at her, a tear ran down his face.

"I had moved away before the rampage. I heard about the attack, but I was ill. I had just lost a baby. By the time I was well again, and went looking for you both you were both gone. I had markers placed on the grave sites. It was all I could do. I followed your so called careers. I don't blame you boys. You did what you had to do to survive on your own. You were young, had no one."

Curry didn't know what to say. He wished Heyes had heard this. He would know how to handle all that she had just told him. "Thank you for the markers." was all he could say.

"I've filled your head with a lot of shocking news. Why don't you go on in with Han. Take a rest, there's a cot in there. Go on we'll talk again later."

Curry stood looking at her. She gave him a warm motherly smile nodding toward the room. He went in sitting on the cot, wishing Heyes would wake up. He unbuckled his holster dropping it on the floor near the cot.

_________________________________________

Curry woke to Heyes thrashing and moaning, "it's gonna blow Kid jump quick!". he was wet with sweat, the blankets tossed aside.

Kid sat on the side of the bed. He dipped the cloth that had fallen off Heyes forehead into the basin wrung it out, then wiped his friends face. Heyes moaned and opened his dark brown eyes, they looked like they were made of glass.

He had been real sick with fever for three days. They'd been real worried about him. Kid barely left the room. Aunt Millie stayed very close, watching over them both.

"I'm so hot Kid, my chest is on fire. It hurts to breathe." his throat was so dry he could barely whisper.

Kid smiled a worried smile as he looked at his friend. Heyes was real sick, he was scared but wouldn't let Heyes see it. He hoped Aunt Millie knew what she was doing. He felt a hand on his shoulder as a quick reflex he went for his gun, only it wasn't on his hip.

"My goodness are you always so jumpy? Is this what your life has done to you? Always ready to shoot?" Aunt Millie asked sadness in her voice, "what would your folks say?"

"Ma'am I..." Kid started but was cut off.

"I don't follow what's happening here." the raspy voice asked.

They both turned and looked at Heyes, there was confusion in his face.

Aunt Millie smiled warmly at him. "Oh, those eyes, those dimples, so much like you father's. He was such a handsome man. So was your Pa, I never saw two more perfect couples. They were so happy with each other."

Heyes looked at Curry in total confusion, What was she saying Kid?

"She knows who we are. She knew our folks, helped birth us." Kid tried to tell his friend.

"What are you saying? I don't understand?"

"She has a picture of our Ma's, the three of them together. I've seen it. She went looking for us, but we was gone already." then he said more quietly "she put markers on the graves."

Heyes said nothing. He lay there staring, seeing nothing. He let what Kid had just told him sink in. He looked at the woman standing next to his partner. Somewhere in the dark corners of his mind, he remembered a woman there at the house. There was always laughter when she was around. Then he fell in the creek, then there was an awful smell. The same smell he was breathing in now. "I remember the creek."

Aunt Millie beamed at both of them. "Boys, boys I can't believe your both here! I've looked for you. I've worried over you both. The things you've done!" she pushed Kid out of the way and began to scrub Heyes face with the cloth, he tried to defend himself from her onslaught with no success. "Why I should tan both your hides for you! Robbing banks and trains and such! Why you could have both been killed! When I think of what could have happened!" she was scrubbing harder as she spoke, Heyes trying to avoid her.

Kid watched, not trying at all to hide his grin.

"Millie leave some skin on that boy!" Johnathan had walked into the room.

"Oh Johnathan. But look, doesn't he have a nice healthy glow now?" she beamed.

"I don't know, you sure it isn't blood? He looks red."

Heyes had a strange look on his face. Kid looked around at them all and burst out laughing. "I"m sorry, but the looks on all of your faces."

"Well Millie, is he going to make it?" Johnathan asked grinning at Kid.

"Why of course he is. Did the last time didn't he? Will this time too!" she said proudly.

"Can you pull yourself away so we could have some supper?"

"Let me get this one fed and bedded, then I'll take care of you boys."

"Is there anything I can do to help out Ma'am?" asked Kid.

"For starters stop calling me Ma'am, it's Aunt Millie. Why don't you both go into the other room and let me tend this one. Supper will be ready soon." She shoved them into the kitchen, then the living area. She went back into where Heyes lay, stopping to get a bowl of soup. She sat on the bed offering him a spoonful.

"I can feed myself Ma'am. I thank you though, you're most kind." he rasped.

"Now you listen to me Hannibal, I'm doing the doctoring here. You'll do as I tell you!" she said sternly.

He didn't argue. He ate half a bowl, watching Aunt Millie as she fed him. He did remember falling into the creek as a boy and getting sick. Could she be his mother's friend? "I've had enough Ma'am, I think I'd like to rest awhile." he still studied her with his dark brown eyes.

"How much you look like your father. He was such a good man Hannibal. A better man than he knew he was. He loved your Ma so, she was happy but not as happy as the day you were born. You filled her world with joy! It took a long time for your Ma to conceive, you were a blessing to her. Even as a young'un, when you smiled it was like the whole world lit up. You made your Momma a happy woman."

He listened to the woman as she spoke of his parents. He felt at ease with her. A feeling he had only when he was alone with Kid. He knew that Curry believed this woman. It scared him because, he believed her too. Her voice was soothing and he fell asleep.

______________________________________________

They sat at the table having supper. Johnathan getting his first real look at this young man. He was good looking, sparkly blue eyes and an easy smile. Very polite for an outlaw with a price on his head. Kid would glance over his shoulder every so often. He was clearly listening for his friend, no doubt that the slightest sound from that room would send him rushing to his side. Johnathan liked that in a man. Loyalty and devotion to a friend. No doubt that the feeling was returned from the dark haired man to the light haired.

"Mr. McCarroll" Kid started "Ma"am.... Aunt Millie, I'd like to thank you both for the way you're taking care of my partner in there, and for treating me so kind."

"We asked you both to come here. Lom thinks very well of both of you. He's fighting very hard for you both." said Johnathan.

"I'm glad to hear Lom thinks so, but could I ask just why did you want us to come here? You haven't said what the job is that you want us to do?"

"In good time my boy, I'd like to wait until your friend is feeling better. I need a sharp gun as well as a quick mind for this little task. I need both of you."

Kid looked at Johnathan chewing slowly, not sure what they were getting into.

"I know who you both are also, but don't worry that information goes no farther then this room. As long as you are both here you will be Smith and Jones. None of the hands here will know any different. You are both my nephews as far as anyone is concerned. In the mean time, I do have some chores that you could keep yourself busy with. Just to pass the time until your friend is better."

"I'll be glad to do any chores that need to be done."Curry said.

"He'll be well before you know it." Aunt Millie beamed at Kid. "Don't you fret none about it." she patted his arm. "That poultice is working just as I knew it would. Here have some more, landsakes who knows when these boys last had a good home cooked meal? I wish Han ah... Joshua could eat some. He's so thin!" she pushed the bowl of mashed potatoes toward Kid.

"Aunt Millie if you keep shovin food down that boys throat he'll be too fat ta git on his horse." Johnathan laughed his grey eye twinkling.

Kid grinned, "I'm not mindin it a bit." he said.

________________________________________________

Later as Aunt Millie cleaned up, Johnathan asked Kid to join him for a cigar on the porch. They looked at the darkening sky puffing quietly. Each lost in his own thoughts.

Curry broke the silence. "You have a real nice place here Sir, it must be real nice to have a place of your own."

"You could have a place like if you put your mind to it."

"No, that chance has past for me and him." he nodded toward the house.

"Don't cut yourself short son, I've a feeling that somewhere down the road you both will get what your waiting for from the Governor. Don't ever give up. Hold onto your dreams."

Kid stood looking at the ground, listening to the older man. Hold onto his dreams. It would be good just not to be on the run, to be able to stay in one place for more then just a few days. But a place like this? A place to call home? No, it would never happen for him. Maybe it could for Heyes, but for him most likely a sharp shooter's bullet would take him out.

"Fate threw you both some hard blows. You've made choices that led you the wrong way. You boys were trying to survive and it went too far, but in all you've done you never killed anyone, and only shot to wound. I think Lom is right, you boys are gonna be fine. Now I think you should go inside and get some rest. You've got chores in the morning."

"Thank you Mr. McCarroll, for all you've just said."

Johnathan put his hand on Kid's shoulder in a fatherly way and smiled. "Go on."

Kid nodded, then went inside.

Neither of them saw the figure watching from the shadows of the barn.

Curry checked on Heyes. His partner was asleep. A glaze of sweat covered his skin. He stirred and drew in a deep breath, then let it out. No rattling in his chest like before. One foot stuck out from the covers, Curry covered it then undressed for bed.

It was gonna be hard to leave this place.

____________________________________________

Johnathan and Kid were just finishing breakfast as Aunt Millie looked in on Heyes. He was just waking. She filled a bowl with steaming oatmeal. Curry watched as she poured milk into it, she started towards his friend.

"Are you gonna make him eat that?" Kid asked.

"Of course, he needs something to line his stomach." she said brightly as she walked into the room.

Curry looked at Johnathan. "I gotta watch this." he got up standing to the side of the door, he peered into the room.

"Good morning!" Aunt Millie said brightly as she pulled open the curtains letting in the morning sunshine. She came over to the bed and plopped herself down next to him. Heyes was trying to shield his eyes from the bright sunshine. "And how are we this morning?"

Heyes opened his mouth to answer her, when she shoved a heaping spoonful of hot mush into it. He didn't know how to react. His eyes grew wide with a shocked look at her he swallowed. "What was..." Aunt Millie shoved in another spoonful, "Hey!" another spoonful, "wait!" spoonful.

Kid, watching from the door, was laughing so hard he couldn't get his breath. At last he knew how to get Heyes to eat. Just shove it in.

"All right!" spoonful he put up his hands, "I'll eat it!" spoonful. He'd get Kid later.

"All gone dear. Wasn't that good? Now we'll get you cleaned up!" she was out the door before Heyes could say a word.

"Cleaned up?" asked Kid.

"Yes, I'm going to give him a bath, have to get the poultice off."

"Oh boy," Kid ran his hand through his hair. Heyes wouldn't go for that, not too many people knew it but, his partner was a very modest man. "I'm gonna go chop some wood." Curry started for the door. "Aunt Millie, if you want him to stay in bed after his a...bath, just give him a book. He's parshall to that Mark Twain fella." Kid ran out the door.

"Johnathan give me a hand with the tub." They pushed a large washtub into the room. Johnathan began to fill it with hot water.

Heyes was watching intently, where was Kid? "What are you gonna do Ma'am?" he asked afraid to hear the answer.

"You're getting cleaned up, you don't need that poultice you're wrapped up in any longer. Fevers gone, so is the cough and wheezing, just like I said it would be." She pulled down the covers.

She began to unwrap the wool blanket, Heyes was getting uncomfortable. Feeding him was one thing, but now she was getting a little too personable. "I really appreciate you feeding me an all Ma'am, but I can get myself up and washed."

"Sit up!" she ordered.

"You'd be smart and not argue with her." Johnathan said as he poured water into the tub. "She'll win." he said as he left the room.

Heyes was on his own. Even his best friend ran out on him. Heyes sat up. The room spun a little. Aunt Millie held him steady. The room came to a stop.

"You alright tough guy?" Aunt Millie asked. He nodded. She began to peel the muslin squares from his back and chest. She noticed whip marks on his back. They stood out on the pink tender skin that the poultice had caused his skin to turn. She said nothing about them to him she'd ask Jed... Thaddeus where they came from later. "I'll leave the room. I have to get soap and towels. You get in the tub." she ordered.

Heyes sighed, why fight it. A bath would feel good though. He slid into the tub, dunking himself under. Coming back up he closed his eyes, leaned back letting the warm water soak into his body. He didn't hear Aunt Millie come back into the room and was caught off guard as she began to scrub his hair. "Hey!" he yelled.

"Lean forward so I can get your back then I'll leave you to yourself."

He did as he was asked, covering himself as best he could. As soon as she was done with him, she stripped the bed putting on clean sheets. She left clean underwear and put his freshly cleaned clothes in the dresser. "When your done back in bed." she left him alone.

When he finished, he lay down on the bed, he felt something hard. It was a book "life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain" he shook his head. Thanks Kid.

_____________________________________

Heyes didn't stay in bed long. He got dressed, slipping quietly through the house and out the door looking for Kid. Aunt Millie's remedy worked. He felt like himself again. He rounded the corner, found him stacking firewood on the side of the house.

Kid looked up seeing his friend standing there. "What'er you doin out? Don't let Aunt Millie catch ya."

"She won't, and she's not my Aunt."

"So how was your mornin?" he asked not hiding his grin.

"Thanks for watching my back. I'll be sure to return the favor sometime.." he adjusted his hat. "So what's this job were supposed to do? I'd like to get it done and be on our way."

"Don't know, Mr. McCarroll wanted to wait until you were better." Kid stooped to pick up another piece of wood. "What's the rush, they're not pushing us?"

"I just want to get going is all."

"What's the matter Heyes?" Kid asked quietly.

Heyes looked down at the ground, then back at his partner. "Don't you feel it Kid, It feels like a family, a home. We can't stay." he started to pace. "We have to find out what they need done, do it then leave before.... before we won't want too."

"I already don't want too." Kid said.

Heyes stopped pacing, he looked at Kid.

"Johnathan, Mr. McCarroll is probably one of the nicest men I've ever met. He's been treating me like I was kin. Aunt Millie, Heyes she knew our folks, knew us before we knew us. She's the closest to..." he stopped short.

Heyes knew what he was going to say. She was as close to having a mother then they've had since they were children. "I know Kid, I know. Heyes said quietly "we can't stay. You know why just as well as I do."

Kid nodded.

They started to walk toward the barn. Two cowhands came out of the barn blocking their way. The older of the two had a large greying shaggy mustache, the younger straight blonde hair. They both had holsters strapped to their hips.

"You boys are new around here." the younger man drawled. "Where ya goin?"

Curry crossed his arms across his chest, Heyes flashed him a quick glance, Don't. "We're going into the barn. You have a problem with that?' asked Kid.

"I see you're wearin your gun low like, you think you're fast or somethin?" the younger man asked.

Before Kid could respond Heyes jumped in, "Remember Uncle Johnathan, Thaddeus he'll be upset."

Heyes moved his hand slowly to rest on his gunbutt. "Uncle Johnathan? He ain't your uncle, he's got no kin ceptin Aunt Millie and that crazy daughter of his." the older man spoke.

Heyes and Curry looked at each other then back to the cowpokes. "You shouldn't talk that way about my cousin, sweet girl that she is." Kid spoke quietly.

"Sweet girl?" drawled the young man "more like a she devil, If'n your anything like her then you must be pure loco just like her." the young man spread his legs, placing his hands on his hips. "Let's just see what your made of. We already know you're both liars. What'er you here for? You lookin to rob the place?"

"We're just visiting our ... folks." Heyes said the last word sticking in his throat. "We'd like to check on our horses, if that isn't a problem with you boys."

"It just might be, ya see I don't like the way you look. You look like a gun fighter to me, an I aim to see if you are." the younger man said standing in front of Curry.

"You know what we have here Joshua, we have a walk-off." Heyes rolled his eyes and groaned.

"Walk-off what you talkin about?" asked the young blonde.

"I'll tell ya," Kid started. Heyes mouthed the words along with him. "You see the Lord made the world, he had to fill it so he made some folks.. Then he had to hand out brains, but before he could finish the job, a bunch just up and walked off. There you are, a walk-off."

The two cowpokes stood looking at him, the younger one with his mouth hanging open. "I think he just called me dumb! Why nobody..." the young man made a move for his gun, but before he realized the holster on his hip was shot clean off.

The four men stood facing each other totally unaware that Aunt Millie and Johnathan were watching until..Whap, Whap.... Kid was being attacked by Aunt Millie and her broom! "You scoundrel you!" Whap...Whap... "How dare you pull a stunt like that around the house!" Whap...Whap... She turned to Heyes "and you!" her face red, eyes shining. "What are you doing out of bed?" Whap...Whap...

the offending cow hands retreated quickly while they had a chance, leaving the two strangers to the old lady's wrath.

"Aunt Millie hold it! Stop will ya?" Curry tried to avoid more of the broom.

"Into the house both of you! Land sakes," Whap... she swat at Heyes, "neither of you are to big to go over my knees. If your Ma's where only here!" Whap...Whap.

They looked at Johnathan for help, but he just shrugged his shoulders and smiled. They went into the house Aunt Millie still yelling at them.

As soon as they entered the house, both outlaws removed their hats. Aunt Millie noticed, good manners were learned as children, these two were polite. A warm feeling swept through her. A little gesture as removing their hats brought back so many memories of the past, and the fact that she loved these two children who were now grown men.

She sat Heyes down feeling his forehead. No fever. He looked at her with his dark brown eyes, his face hard, cold. What happened to the smiling boy she knew as a child? He was in this young man somewhere, she was going to find him and pull him out.

"You feel alright?" she asked.

"Yes Ma'am."

Kid sat next to his partner, making sure his elbow stuck Heyes in the ribs.

She looked at them both, then said "I'll leave the three of you alone to talk." she left the room, waving her hand as she went.

Johnathan leaned against the mantle of the stone fireplace looking at them. The blonde's face looked as though he was truly sorry for what had just happened. He looked like a boy getting ready for a trip to the woodshed for a licking. The dark haired one sat there stone cold.

"What happened out there?"

"We didn't want to have anything start. We were just going into the barn is all." said Kid.

"The older man is Dutch, he's been with me for years. The younger is Rick. He wants to prove he's fast. I guess now he knows how fast he'll have to be."

"Mr. McCarroll, you asked us to come here to do a job for you." Heyes started, he didn't want to sit there for a lecture. "I appreciate your waiting for me to come around, And all that your Aunt has done, but we were sent here to do a job for you. We still don't know what it is that you would like us to do?" Heyes was looking the older man square in the eyes. Kid gave him a nudge in the ribs. Heyes ignored it.

"Before I tell you about the job I have something to say. First young man," he addressed Heyes, "I know who you are. It will go no farther then this room, ever." he continued to look Heyes in the eyes, "Aunt Millie is a wonderful woman. She fretted over you both since she heard what had happened back in Kansas. She followed your so called careers and worried herself near to death. She has all the faith and love for you both that a mother could have for her child." Heyes didn't move, but Curry could feel the tension in his friends body. Johnathan went on, "I will not let you hurt her." his gaze on Heyes, "I'm sorry that she didn't find you in that orphanage. You would have been most welcome here. I wanted sons, but fate dealt me a blow too. I have a daughter, Millicent named after Aunt Millie. My wife died when she was a toddler. Aunt Millie came here to help me care for her."

"Excuse me Mr McCarroll," Kid interrupted, "not to be disrespectful, but those hands said your daughter is a handful so to speak. Does the job have anything to do with her?"

Johnathan's gaze never left Heyes' eyes. It was making Kid nervous. "Yes it does, Lom told me that you boys had helped the friend of the Governor retrieve his daughter from a band of outlaws. My daughter isn't with anyone. She has herself hidden somewhere in the mountains to the north of here. It's still my land, but I want her to go back east to school to become a lady, and to get an education. She'll need it if she wants to run this ranch someday. It will be hers. I need someone who can track."

"I can track, was pretty good at it back in Utah." Heyes said never taking his eyes away from the older man. It was a battle of wills.

"And me?" Kid asked.

"My daughter can ride, rope and shoot better then any man I've ever come across. Until now. You two are a perfect team. I've never seen two men care for each other as you both do. Together you make a whole. I think that you're both good men that have had your lives torn away at a young age. The two of you as a team should be able to bring her back home. She's up there alone."

Heyes and Curry sat looking at the older man. Kid knew that Heyes was thinking over what the man had just said. He knew that his friend was arguing with himself as to whether he should let his guard down and admit he liked the man. Heyes also had to let go of the past.

"How much does the job pay?" Heyes asked.

"I'll give you five thousand dollars."

Heyes stood up, he faced the man. "Each."

Curry looked at his partner in shock.

Heyes, sensed the look he was getting, but held gaze on the older man. Dark brown eyes and grey eyes locked onto each other.

Finally Johnathan sighed, "each."

"We'll saddle up and leave right away." Heyes turned heading out the door "C'mon." he said.

Kid got up not knowing what to say, he followed Heyes out the door.

"I don't know what makes him so hard." Johnathan said to Aunt Millie as she came back into the room. "He has a hard shell."

"He's been hurt. He had to grow up quick and take care of Jed, while he was a boy himself. I'll get him to come around. That is if they come back."

They watched as the boys rode off toward the mountains.

________________________________________________

"Heyes you beat all you know it!" Curry was angry, "Them folks took good care of us! Got you well and you want to double what they offered!"

"Didn't say I was gonna take it, did I?"

"No, but..."

"He wouldn't look away Kid, My Pa never looked away either."

They both fell silent, each lost in his own thoughts. Kid was worried about what Heyes had bottled inside. He thought of what their life might have been like had their families never been killed. "Heyes, what do you think we would have become if we didn't start outlawing? I mean what would we have done for a living?"

"Well Kid," Heyes thought for a moment "I think you would have become a lawman. Sheriff or Marshall maybe."

"You really think so? A Marshall?"

"Yeah, you're a natural with that gun. You would have made a good one."

They rode on in silence, Kid thinking over what Heyes had said. "What about you?" he asked finally. "Me?" Heyes grinned. "Oh, a teacher I suspect." then as an after thought he added, "or a Preacher."

Kid stopped his horse in his tracks as he took in what his partner had just said. "A PREACHER?!"

Heyes kept on riding.

____________________________________________

They rode higher up into the mountains. There was a trail that Johnathan said would take them up to where his daughter was said to be hiding out. They were both concentrating on finding some sign of her that neither was paying much mind to what was behind them.

Suddenly, a lasso settled around Kid pulling him backward off his horse. Heyes heard his startled cry as he hit the ground, then a shot rang out whizzing past Heyes' ear. He jumped from his horse going for cover.

"Stay right where you are or blonde gets a bullet right in the back of his head." a voice distinctly female called out. "throw your gun away!" Heyes tossed his gun aside. "Now come out where I can see ya!"

Heyes came out, he walked over to Kid.

"Hold on there blondie, throw your gun away too!" Kid glanced up at Heyes. His look told him all he needed to know.

In one swift motion he drew his gun, turned on the ground and shot the pistol from the girls hand. A large grin spread across Heyes' face.

"Why of all the..." the girl sputtered.

Kid stood up, holstered his gun as he dusted himself off. He never took his eyes off the girl. She was dirty, dressed in men's clothes, her hair shoved under a floppy cowboy hat.

"Millicent McCarroll I presume?" Heyes asked.

"Yeah that's me. What you want or what's my Pa want? I saw blondie talking to my Pa one night. I was in the barn. You must be the sick one Aunt Millie was fretten about. Don't look so surprised." she said sarcastically "I knew you was there. I must say, you both ain't bad to look at. Your skinny though." she said to Heyes. Kid let out a chuckle. "I know why you're here, I ain't going home an I sure ain't going back east to school neither."

"Your father asked us to bring you back home Millicent, we can do it any way you'd like. The easy way or the hard way, on you that is." Heyes told her.

"I ain't going home!" she bolted past them running as fast as she could.

Kid hot on her heels. He tackled her, they both fell to the ground. She turned on him with fists and feet, kicking, punching, biting. The girl was a wild cat. Kid was mostly trying to defend himself. He couldn't hit a girl. She landed a good blow across his mouth, blood trickled from the cut on his lip.

He over powered her, pinning her arms down as he sat on her. Getting his first good look at the girl, she was pretty, real pretty. Heck she was down right gorgeous. Red wavy hair and green eyes, her skin smooth and clear. She was soft, but she smelled, bad!

"Ma'am, I really don't want to be settin on ya like this." Kid said wrinkling his nose.

"Then get off! You lunkhead!" she looked at him for the first time.

The crystal blue eyes and strong chin. Blonde curls peeking out from under his cowboy hat. Boy, he was handsome!

"I'll get off if you promise not to run off." "I promise." she said.

Curry got off, helping her up. Heyes had picked up his gun, watching the small battle. He smiled at the two of them, they were both blushing.

"So Millicent we've come to bring you home." Heyes began.

"I'm not going east to school, that's what Pa wants. I want to stay on the ranch."

"Your father loves you, and so does your Aunt Millie. It must be nice having people who care about you. Thaddeus and I haven't had any one care about us since we were boys. We lost our families when we were boys. All we have is each other."

Millicent looked from one to the other then back again. "Thaddeus, your Thaddeus? Then you must be Joshua? I've heard all about you from Aunt Millie. Well I'll be damned, Curry and Heyes. She knew your folks. She keeps telling how she looked for you both when I was just a baby. She talks about you all the time."

"So we've come to learn." Heyes said dryly.

"And you say my Pa sent you two up here to bring me home? That part I don't get."

Heyes and Curry looked at each other, they were getting a little nervous. "Don't get what?" asked Curry.

"Why he sent you both up here after me. Ya see I come up here all the time. I spend a few days here then I go home. He's never been bothered by it before. Now maybe I will go home, just to see what he's up to. C'mon, if we hurry we'll be home for supper."

The outlaws looked at each other, each knew what the other was thinking, either they were being set up, or this was some sort of trick to get them here. But Lom had sent them the telegram to come here. They would have to be very careful when they got back to the main house.

___________________________________

They got back to the ranch house with plenty of time to clean up before supper. Heyes usually talkative, hadn't said anything on the ride in or since. Kid kept giving him little glances, but didn't say any thing to him. Heyes was surely fighting some inner battle and Kid was sure it had to do with Johnathan.

"You ready to go to supper?" Curry asked him.

He noticed a slight stiffening of Heyes' body, so slight no none else would have noticed.

"Heyes it's alright. Let go."

"I can't Kid, I can't."

The table was set, already on it were peas, carrots, and mashed sweet potatoes all grown by Aunt Millie. There was fresh baked bread that made the room smell wonderful. Johnathan was looking out the front window when they came in the room. Aunt Millie came in carrying a ham, Millicent behind her with the gravy.

They sat down to eat, after saying grace. Aunt Millie thanking for the food and for bringing her boys home safe to her after all this time. She wished a long healthy and safe life to all who sat at the table. Kid knew how tense his friend was becoming. He hoped Heyes wouldn't bolt from the room. Issues of the past were clearly coming to his mind. Millicent started talking of the things she would get into.

Everyone having a good time, but Heyes who sat quietly eating his eyes down. He answered any question asked of him politely, but didn't offer any information to the conversation. Kid was having a pleasant conversation with Millicent. Johnathan and Aunt Millie locked eyes.

Johnathan looked at Heyes. The coldness was there, the wall up. He could clearly see that the man wanted to be anywhere but here.

Supper was over, after clearing the table Aunt Millie came back into the room carrying a guitar. Kid and Millicent were on the sofa, Johnathan sat in an overstuffed chair. Heyes was looking out the window. He didn't see her walk in with it, until she walked up to him.

Curry sat up straighter, watching his friend.

"Joshua," she said.

He turned around, eyes falling on the guitar. "When you were a child, your Mama taught you to play. She taught you a little hymn. It would please me very much if you would play it for me."

The room was quiet, only the ticking of the mantle clock. Curry could see the tension in his partner. He was going to explode like one of the safes he was so skillful at opening. He sat a little closer to the edge of the sofa, ready to grab Heyes if he had too. Heyes flicked his eyes to Kid, who met his dark brown ones. Kid smiled slightly, go ahead you can do it was the message Heyes got.

He looked at Aunt Millie, then took the guitar. He placed a booted foot on the coffee table balancing the instrument on his leg. He started to strum. In a clear strong voice he sang the hymn Aunt Millie had requested. "Tis a gift to be sinful, tis a gift to be free. Tis a gift to come down where we ought to be, And when we find ourselves in the place just right, We'll be in the valley of love and delight. When true simplicity is gained, To bow and to bend we will not be ashamed. To turn, to turn will be our delight, And by turning, turning we come round right."

Kid hadn't heard his partner sing that song in a long time. When he finished he put the guitar down, not looking at anyone his eyes on the floor he mumbled "I need to get some air." out the door into the night he went.

Kid got up to go after him.

"No, let him have sometime alone." Johnathan stopped him. "I'll check on him in a moment, I'd like to talk to him alone if I may."

Kid nodded, but had a concerned look on his face.

"I hope I didn't do anything wrong. I thought that maybe that song would get through to him, let him and you know how much I care about you both." Aunt Millie said sadly.

"Ma'am you've been getting through to him the whole time," said Kid giving her a kiss on the cheek. "And me too."

"Oh, Jed what you boys had to do. What you must have gone through. Tell me, I noticed marks on his back. Whip marks, where did he get those? Do you have them too?" Aunt Millie asked concern deep in her voice.

Kid looked at the old woman, he licked his lips. He too, like Heyes didn't like to talk of those days long past, but felt this woman should know. "After our families were killed, we were sent to an orphanage. I cried a lot, and Heyes would try to make things easier for me. We had chores to do, some that I couldn't do cause I was small and chunky. I would mess up a lot, spill the milk buckets or drop the clean laundry getting it all dirty. And I was always hungry so I would swipe food. The head master would get mad, he'd go to beat me. Heyes always would jump in saying he was the cause, that I had nothing to do with anything. He would always take the beating for me." Kid walked to the window looking outside. "It got to the point that whenever anything went wrong he got the blame for it. The headmaster would search him out and just beat him. Heyes would never let the man see him cry. That would make him even madder, so he would lock him in a closet or in the root cellar. Finally it got so bad for him we ran off. You pretty much know the rest." He turned back to them. "Don't blame him for the way he's been acting. He's hurting deep down inside, so am I but we show it differently."

Aunt Millie was wiping her eyes, even Millicent had a sad look, she tried to change the mood in the room "Anyone care for desert?" she asked, really not sure just what went on.

______________________________________

Heyes was standing on the far end of the porch leaning against a post looking at the stars in the night sky, when Johnathan came out. Laughter following him as he closed the door. "Mind if I join you?" he asked as he neared Heyes.

"It's your porch." Heyes said not looking at him.

"Beautiful night isn't it son?"

Heyes stiffened, "I guess."

"I'd like to apologize to you and Thaddeus." Johnathan began. Heyes turned to look at him "I lied to you both. I didn't need you to go bring my daughter home. She goes off all the time. I do want her to go to school, but if she doesn't well that's alright too." Heyes looked at the ground. "The reason I had Lom send you here was for Aunt Millie. I wanted her to see you both. I had seen you both briefly a few months back. You had to leave rather quickly, let's just say. Someone said who you were. You both didn't fit what I thought of you, and still don't. Clean cut and polite and all. I had imagined two rough hard mean men. So, I wanted Aunt Millie to see the men you've both grown to be." he paused looking at the young man. "If I could have done something when you were children, I didn't know how it was in the orphanage, if I'd have only realized I would have encouraged Aunt Millie to search harder for you both, but I didn't. She was ill at the time, it would have been too much for her. I regret it all now, I'm sorry you had your childhood stolen from you. Even though I know you won't accept my friendship after all you've been through, I would have gladly taken you both into my home and raised you as the sons I never had. I can't change the past, but I can change the future. You're both more then welcome to stay here and call this home. We want you both to stay very much."

Heyes turned to look at the older man. Johnathan thought he saw a wetness near the young man's eyes. "Thank you very much for the offer Mr. McCarroll, but you know as well as I that it isn't possible. We'll be leaving in the morning. We'd like to be paid for the job if you please."

Johnathan said nothing more. He couldn't break through to this young man. He was certainly very stubborn about his inner feelings. He reached into his pocket; pulling out an envelope. Handing it to Heyes, he went back into the house.

Heyes stayed outside until Kid came to get him. "Folks are going ta bed now, You alright?"

"Fine."

"They didn't mean any harm, they just wanted to see how we are."

"I know."

"You gonna be alright?"

"Yeah."

"Heyes, I worry about you sometimes."

"I know."

"Gonna go ta bed?"

"Yeah."

"We're leaving in the morning aren't we?"

"Yeah." Kid put his arm around Heyes' shoulder, they went inside to bed.

Heyes didn't sleep. His mind was filled of memories of when he was a child. Of a jolly woman and how happy his mother was when she was around. His mind kept going to picnics and parties, Christmas's long past. He ran his hand across his eyes. He looked over at Kid who was lying on his bed, eyes closed breathing evenly.

Heyes picked up the envelope, counting out a thousand dollars, he put it in his pocket. He put the rest of the money back in the envelope, picked up the book that was on the bed table. He got out of bed and quietly left the room.

Walking across the darkened house, he went into Johnathan's study up to his desk. He picked up a pencil and wrote on the envelope, Thanks for all you've done for us. H. Heyes and J. Curry He put the envelope inside the book, then looked around the room. He went to a painting on the wall, sliding his hand around it he found the latch, the painting swung open. Behind it was a safe.

Heyes smiled, happy with himself. He had the safe opened moments later. Putting the book inside the safe, he closed the door and spun the dial. He closed the painting, then he walked quietly back to where his partner was sleeping. He got back into bed then noticed his partner was watching him.

"You gave him back the money didn't you?"

"Most of it."

Kid smiled at the man he loved more than anyone in the world.

"G'night Heyes."

"Night Kid."

___________________________________________

The next morning after a hearty breakfast, the boys were ready to leave. Horses saddled, they stood in front of the porch ready to say their goodbyes.

"You boys sure you won't reconsider staying on?" asked Johnathan.

Millicent smiled coyly at Kid who smiled back.

"We would like to Sir, but you do understand our circumstances." Kid said.

"Yes I do, but remember you are always welcomed here. Please consider this your home."

"Thank you, Sir."

"We best be on our way." Heyes said.

They shook Johnathan's hand, After giving Aunt Millie and Millicent kisses on the cheeks they mounted.

"Oh, wait! I've forgotten!" Aunt Millie exclaimed. She ran back into the house. She was back instantly with a sack. She handed it to Kid. "Now you make sure he gets some of that! He's so skinny!"

"Yes Aunt Millie." Kid grinned at her. He nodded to them, and waved as his horse started to leave.

Heyes paused a moment. "Goodbye." He said and smiled the smile only Kid Curry ever got to see.

The three were taken aback by just how handsome this young outlaw really was. They watched him ride to catch up with his lifelong friend.

"He looks just like his father." Aunt Millie sighed, wiping away her tears.

Inside the sack between the sandwiches and homemade cookies, was a picture of three smiling young girls.

_______________________________________

Two weeks after they left the McCarroll Ranch, Aunt Millie died in her sleep.

Six months later, Johnathan McCarroll was shot and killed in a train robbery.

Millicent sold the ranch. She moved to Boston to study law, she vowed to prosecute train robbers, she fought against amnesty.

Aunt Millie's grave stone was paid for by J. Smith and T Jones.

 

end