Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,073
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,330

No Brakes

Summary:

Fandom: Due South
Pairing: BF/RK
Archive: Yes, just let me know where
Warnings: Keep your brakes in good working order.
Status: New and Complete
Category: PWP.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

*******************
No Brakes
by Sarah Saint Ives
*******************

Benton Fraser, off-duty, strode gallantly across the busy Chicago street and escorted a blind woman to the curb. She patted his hand, thanked him and wove her way toward her building. He glanced up as a black GTO screeched to a halt beside him. He bent to gleam disapproval in the window at the excited face of his friend.

Ray Kowalski held up a hand. "It’s my brakes, Frase. They’re grabbing."

"Then we’ll drop the car off at the shop on the way to the lake." Ben said.

"How are we getting to the lake if we drop off the car?" Ray asked in annoyance. "Anyway, I can fix the brakes myself. You can help me if you don’t mind gettin’ your hands a little dirty."

"I would prefer that you let a mechanic do the job since the brakes *are* the most important part of your car." Ben advised sagely. "If it won’t start, you’re still safe. If it won’t stop..."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah." Ray pulled out into traffic, prattling on as he exceeded the speed limit by twenty miles per hour. "I am aware that brakes are important. However, I have a plan today. I want us to be out on the boat catching the biggest, most ferocious fish in Lake Michigan."

"Ferocious? You want to catch a *ferocious* fish?"

"Yeah, ferocious! Big teeth, fangs, whatever."

The mountie’s blue eyes danced with amusement. "Fish with fangs. Have you ever been fishing, Ray?"

"Course I been fishin’! Ain’t you?" Ray looked around at him.

"Yes, a few times. I don’t recall having seen any fish with fangs."

"What about big teeth?"

"A few varieties. Freshwater sharks, perhaps? Gar?"

"Are those in Lake Michigan?"

"Maybe."

"What’s the most kind of fish in there?"

"What?"

"You know...the most popular breed. In the lake."

Ben studied his blonde friend’s inquiring face a moment, wondering what would happen if he leaned across the seat and kissed those pursed lips. He cleared his throat. "Bass, maybe? Catfish? Maybe perch? I’m not an expert on marine life, Ray."

"Well, you usually know everything about everything, so I figured you’d know about fish, too."

"Well, I don’t."

"You don’t know how to fix brakes, either, huh?"

"No, I don’t. That’s why I recommend you leave it to a professional."

"I will tomorrow."

"Good."

A car paused in front of them and Ray hit the brakes. The GTO careened to the right, slid on a patch of oil on the highway and twisted dangerously around the hesitant vehicle, whose driver was staring in horror. Ben grabbed the dash and held on as they rode the shoulder of the road to an incline where Ray finally managed to bring them to a stop. It had been so close they were both panting.

Ray took out the keys and handed them to his friend. "Here. Hold onto these for me. Don’t let me have them back until the brakes are working." he said, getting out his cell phone. "I’m calling a tow truck."

Ben nodded silently as the call was made.

******

The night was peaceful, just enough chill in the air to reach for a sweater. On board the houseboat they had rented for the weekend after getting the GTO towed and getting a taxi to the lakefront, Ben lounged back in his deck seat and looked up at the stars. "When do you get your car back?" he asked.

"Monday, I hope." Ray was standing at the rail looking out over the black water. "They said it might be longer."

"What if we rented the boat for the entire week and just stayed out here?" Ben suggested.

"That would be great, but the bosses wouldn’t think much of the idea."

"No, they wouldn’t." Ben shoved to his feet and walked over to join him by the rail. Standing shoulder to shoulder with him, he asked, "What do you see out there?"

"Nothing." Ray, two inches shorter, bumped against his shoulder playfully. "Do you think I’m looking at a ghost or something?"

"I think you’re looking for ferocious fish." Ben answered with a light chuckle.

"Well, maybe. Mostly, I’m brooding. Look how stupid I was today, almost getting you killed like that."

"Ray, you almost got yourself killed, too." Ben laid an arm across his narrow shoulders.

"Thanks for not yellin’ at me."

Fraser’s hand gripped his shoulder. Feeling a tremor, he asked softly, "Are you cold?"

"A little. I’m always cold."

"I made a pallet on the deck for us so we can sleep under the stars. Come on."

"A pallet? A blanket on the hard deck when there are comfortable cots down below?"

"You can’t see the stars below."

Ray glanced at him dimly. "Whatcha got in mind, Frase?"

"You think I have an ulterior motive?"

"Do ya?"

"Well, yes."

"I knew it! I can always tell with you. You’re too easy to read! So, what’s goin’ on?"

"I just want to keep you warm."

Ray leaned his cheek against the larger man’s shoulder and sighed. "You’re too good to me, Ben. I never thought I’d find a friend like you. You let me get by actin’ like an idiot, you put up with all my crazy shit, and you still love me."

"Yes, I do. Very much." Ben confirmed.

"Well, so do I, very much." Ray said. "I could use a big hug right about now."

Ben hauled him into an enthusiastic, lingering hug. He whispered in his ear, "I want to hold you like this all night."

"Yeah, to keep me warm." Ray said.

"Yes, to keep you warm."

"Fact, I might even get a little hot."

"Yes, it’s possible."

"Might even make you hot, too, you think?"

"That’s very possible."

"What if we both get hot at the same time?"

"We’ll do something to cool ourselves off." Ben said after a moment’s thought. He led the way to the blankets he had spread on the deck.

"Something recreational, you mean?"

"No, not recreational, at least not for me."

"Then...something practical?"

"It could be considered practical if you want to look at it that way." Ben covered them both up and pulled him into a reposed hug.

"So, do you think I can expect to get some tonight?" Ray was grinning at him.

Ben laughed and kissed him on the mouth. "I think that’s a certainty." he said.

 

 

~the end~

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Sarah Saint Ives.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.