Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
5,950
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
1,130

The Gift Of Tears

Summary:

Rated: PG-13
Summary: Mac must deal with a life without Harm while Harm must deal with life. Can either cope?
Spoiler: Yeah Baby, To Russia With Love, The Imposter, Boomerang, Life Line, JAGathon, Answered Prayers, Capitol Crime, Port Chicago, In Country
Disclaimer: NONE of these characters are mine! No copyright infringement intended. All other characters depicted are purely fictional and any similarities to actual people are purely coincidental.
Author's Notes: Mac's assignment taken from the Associated Press article of Mach 18, 2002 "China Bars U.S. Ship From Hong Kong" Richard Kurtis is a prolific investigative reporter
and documentalist.
Feedback: Send it.
Permission to archive: Permission granted.
Story written July 2002
Submitted through http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Makebelieve_YG

Work Text:

 

 

The Gift Of Tears
by Rising Sun
jagrslc@yahoo.com

 

 

 

JUNE 2002
2347 LOCAL
SOMEWHERE IN THE IRANIAN MOUNTAINS

"Here's another one!!" A man shouted in Farsi to anyone who could hear.

"Praise be to Allah." A woman replied. A group of people made their way through the rubble. As the woman approached the spot she marveled. "Ahmed, does he live?"

"If it is the will of Allah." Ahmed replied as he joined the chain of hands that began to move the
rubble. "Many have died in this earthquake and many more may die, Sophia. As for this one?" he left the thought hanging.

There was a gasp. "Tell me!" Sophia demanded.

"He is an infidel!" Someone announced.

"And that is reason enough to stop?" She asked, "Has Mohamed taught you nothing? Show mercy to the man, besides being Anglo does not automatically make him an infidel. Many have seen the way and converted."

The rescue continued.

 

 

TWO DAYS LATER
1300 LOCAL
MAC's OFFICE

Lt. Colonel Sarah Mackenzie was in consultation with a client when the Judge Advocate General AJ Chedwiggen tapped on her door. Something was up. Usually she was summoned to his office; he didn't often come in search of her and when he did ? it did not broker well. She joined him just outside her office door.

AJ braced himself by folding his arms. "As you know Commander Rabb was on a mission with Clayton Webb in Afghanistan. Two days ago the Commander went MIA."

Mac just stared at her Commanding Officer she could NOT be hearing this right. He continued. "There has been an extensive search of his last known position but so far there is no sign of him. As I have news I'll keep you posted."

"Aye sir." She replied. "Has his mother been told?"

"I fly out in one hour. Sturgis will act as JAG in my absence."

"Fly sir?"

"In light of the history of the Rabb family I believe the man's mother deserves a visit and not a phone call." AJ explained. "You ok?"

"Yes sir." She assured him.

"Mmm ? dismissed."

A numb Sarah Mackenzie returned to her client.

 

 

BURNETTE RESINDENCE
LA JOLLA, CLAIFORNIA

Trish Burnette opened the door and stared at the two star Admiral standing on the step and her heart sank. "Yes?" She managed.

"Mrs. Burnette?" The man asked.

"Yes?" She repeated.

"I'm AJ Chedwiggen? the Judge Advocate?"

"Oh yes!" She lit up. "Harm's CO. Please come in." she stepped aside and he walked past her. She closed the door and studied his face. Something was wrong and she said so.

The sense of déjà vu was so strong that for a moment she didn't hear a word AJ said all she heard was the voice of the Lieutenant who had stated the same words in 1969 when another Harmon Rabb had gone MIA. How much was a woman supposed to bear!

"Mrs. Burnette?" AJ called. He was concerned she seemed to have zoned out on him. "Mrs. Burnette?"

"How much is a woman supposed to bear Admiral?" She snapped. "I'm sorry." She was instantly contrite. "I'm sorry that was uncalled for."

"Understandable ma'am." He took it in stride he hated this part of military life. "If there is anything that I can do."

She nodded. "I'll be sure to call on you. Thank you. Thank you for coming to tell me."

It was his turn to nod. He took a step to leave. At the door he placed his cover on and said to her.
"We'll find him ma'am I have to believe that."

"Thank you." She closed the door as he walked away.

Yep he hated this part of military life.

 

 

ONE WEEK LATER
SOMEWHERE IN THE IRANIAN MOUNTAINS

Ahmed approached the tent that now acted as a hospital for the victims of the earthquake. He spotted Sophia and approached her. "How is he?"

She didn't have to ask of whom he spoke. "Alive by the will of Allah."

"Has he spoken?"

"All he will say is Mac. He has many injuries but they will heal." She replied. "As to whether his heart and soul will do the same?"

"Mac? What is a Mac?"

She shrugged she had no idea.

"All in the hands of Allah." He said.

"All in the hands of Allah." She echoed.

 

 

ONE WEEK LATER
1013 LOCAL
MAC'S OFFICE

"WHAT!" Mac snapped.

"Hey save it for the lynching of Singer." Sturgis held up his hands in surrender.

She signed. "Sorry. Come in it's safe I promise."

"Problems?"

"Had a rough night. Weird dream."

"Scary weird or naked-in-front-of-the-Marine-Corps-Band-weird?" He teased.

She chuckled "Commander, I learn something new about you every day."

"Don't try to change the subject." He admonished.

She sobered up. "How is it I can find Chloe and Commander Akins but not the man I ? Harm!"

He smiled she had been about to confess her feelings again. "Your gift is not a science Mac. It works when it works."

She stood and moved to close her door. "It's been a week! A week and they can't find him. The longer it takes to find him the slimmer the chances of actually discovering him." She flopped into the chair next to him. "I can't stand it Sturgis. If he never?"

"Stop!" He rebuked her. "Don't go there. I'm not ready to go there myself." He softened. "I know it's hard on you more than anyone else here. Did you EVER tell him how you felt?'

She shook her head.

"Never?" His heart sank.

"Never." She whispered.

"Oh Mac." He sighed.

"I know. I know."

 

 

2003 ? FIRST ANNIVERSARY
CHURCH OF FATIMA
LO JALLA, CALIFORNIA

One thought echoed through Trish Burnette's mind "How much is a woman supposed to bear!" She kneeled and prayed. "How much is a woman supposed to bear oh GOD! You have taken my son and my both husbands." A tear trickled down her cheek. Normally she was a woman in control of herself and her world... but this heartache was too much to bear.

A Priest approached her. "Ma'am are you all right?"

She looked up and sniffed. "I search Father."

He joined her on the pew. "We all search ? what do you search for sister?"

"Peace of soul." She replied. "I have out lived two husbands and my son a military man is MIA and for all I know dead too."

"That is much you carry." He sympathized.

"I feel the cross is too much to bear."

"We are never given more than we can bear. At times it feels like we will break under the weight but with God's help we somehow manage. I can only assume that this is why you are here. To seek assistance with the cross you now carry."

"I don't know why I'm here." She confessed.

"You may not know why you are here but your soul is in need of comfort and knew where to seek it." He explained.

"Pray with me Father?" She begged.

"Always."

 

 

1446 LOCAL
JAG HQ

AJ shook Sturgis' hand. "Congratulations Captain! The Colonel will do the honours."

"Aye sir." Mac stepped up.

"Gentle Marine." He whispered as she leaned up to kiss his cheek.

She smiled at the quip and kissed him. "Do you Navy guys have only one line?" She whispered back.

"OK people." The JAG called the meeting of his legal staff to order "Now that there's a new Captain on the block let's get back to it." He handed Sturgis a handkerchief so that he could wipe Mac's lipstick off.

"The wet down sir?" Bud prompted.

"Thank you for the reminder Lieutenant. Captain?" Sturgis didn't reply. "Captain?" AJ repeated.

Mac poked the Officer in the ribs, "The wet down." She hissed.

"Er? Sorry sir. New rank and all?" he apologized "The wet down at the usual venue ? Mc Murphy's on Friday 1800."

AJ opened his file.

"Wish Harm was here to see you." Mac whispered to Sturgis. AJ heard and thought "Amen to that."

 

 

CHRISTMAS EVE
VIETNAM MEMORIAL "THE WALL"

It was a cold and bitter night "Just right." Mac thought as she stood before the wall where Harmon Rabb Sr.'s name was engraved. It had been five months since Harm had gone missing and with each day that went by Mac's world got colder and more bitter.

"Till he returns, I'll be keeping you company. Hope you don't mind." She whispered. Despite the numbers of people milling around she felt alone. People like her stood and paid homage to the heroes. She whirled around. Some one was watching her.

"Webb!" His name took form as her breath caused steam. He looked grim. She softened a bit towards him. "You look like carp." She observed.

"Feel worse." He assured her.

She just stared at him. He read her expectation and shook his head. "I used to be amused by Rabb's obsession to find the truth about his father? no more." Webb's hollow eyes fixed on Mac. "I'll not rest till I find him. Walking or in a body bag ? don't matter. I'll find him." He turned on his heel and began to walk away.

"Webb!" She called out and he stopped. "I was on the last leg of that Rabb crusade. You need me ? YOU CALL. That's an order."

He nodded never bothering to point out that he was not in the military.

Mac turned back to the wall. "Merry Christmas to Rabbs everywhere."

 

 

SOMEWHERE IN THE IRANIAN MOUNTAINS

Yousif approached his wife Sophia. "It has been five months does he still say nothing?"

"Still only Mac."

"Mac?" he echoed.

"Mac." She repeated.

He took a deep breath and exhaled heavily. "What are we to do with him?"

"We keep him until Allah shows the way."

"Then in the mean time he must learn Farsi. This one word vocabulary will not work." He pronounced. "What is this word again?"

"Mac." She reminded her husband.

He snorted. "Mac indeed. What is a Mac?"

 

 

YEAR NUMBER TWO
OCTOBER 25, 2004 - 2233 LOCAL
BETHESDA NAVAL HOSPITAL

Mac peeped into Harriet's room. "Ma'am! Come in! What are you doing out so late?"

Mac walked in. "Not too late for you?"

The younger woman chuckled. "You'd think after giving birth earlier today and the zoo that was just here I'd be pooped but I'm not."

Mac sat. "I'm sorry I couldn't get here earlier?"

Harriet cut across her. "Ma'am! You were prompted?!" She had spotted the change of insignia.

"Bud didn't tell you?" Mac was surprised.

Harriet snorted. "Getting JAG news out of that particular Lt. Commander is like asking for clearance to National Security."

"Well as a Lt. Commander yourself that should be no problem." Mac teased. "Seriously though it came through earlier this week." Mac glanced at the cot with the new Roberts baby. "He's beautiful." She breathed.

Harriet took a deep breath and launched "We want to call him Harmon."

"Oh God!" Mac's response was instinctive and heart wrenching.

Harriet back peddled. "?but if you think it's a bad idea?"

Mac tried to repair the damage. "No? no? it's fine and fitting. I'm just still ? " she fumbled for words. Harriet reached for her hand.

"I understand."

Mac nodded and stood. "I'd better be going. 'Night Harriet."

"Nigh ma'am."

 

 

0225 LOCAL
MAC'S APARTMENT

"I understand." Webb said as Mac related the conversation with Harriett. He had developed the habit of reporting to Mac in person on his search for their friend.

"You don't." She snapped. "Yesterday was Harm's birthday. The baby was born on his birthday!" The combination of two years of an unrequited love gone MIA combined with the birthday and the naming of the baby finally broke Mac's resolve.

The tears flowed.

Part 2

 

JUNE 2005
1008 LOCAL
ANNIVERSARY NUMBER THREE

 

The tears flowed. She couldn't help it she was a softie at heart.

"Commander?" Admiral Chedwiggen asked as he entered the kitchenette.

"Sir?" She snapped to and sniffed.

"Problem?"

"No sir!" She assured him and sniffed.

He gave her a yeah-right look. "Try again Commander."

"It's just? " She paused this was so NOT NAVY!

"My office." He turned on his heel with Harriett following. Once in his office he folded his arms and waited.

Harriett felt as if she were in the principal's office. She complied. "I was ?" She tried again. "It's your last day sir and the memories began to flood and well? " She held up the tissue and sniffed.

He softened. "I know." He said. "You and Rabb have kept me on my toes. Not that the others have been slouches in that department."

 

[FLASHBACK]

Harriett giving birth in the Admiral's office.

AJ: Push Lieutenant ? that's an order!

+ + +

(Mac reaches out and pinches Harm's face)

Harm: What's that for?

Mac: Want to make sure it was you. One Harmon Rabb in my life is enough.

AJ: Amen

+ + +

AJ: Help me out here, Colonel. She's going off the deep end.

Mac: You want me to take over, Sir?

AJ: I want you to sit second chair.

Mac: I'd prefer the electric chair, Sir.

[END OF FLASHBACK]

 

He snapped out of his memories and addressed Harriett. "I once told your husband that this was the NAVY and if you stayed put life passed you by, or something to that effect. It's time I took my own advice. I won't be far and Captain Turner will make a fine Judge Advocate General."

"I know sir, but I'll still miss you."

+ + +

 

SOMEWHERE IN THE IRANIAN MOUNTAINS

He loved his people but anyone could see he was not native to them, it didn't matter he was Farsi and that was all Allah had ordained. Still he was drawn to the sky and fascinated by the flight of birds. Today Ossama had climbed the highest peak in the area and having prayed he sat and watched the handiwork of God.

Suddenly a vision popped into his head he was in UNIFORM!!! Where in the name of Mohammed had that come from? He was with a black man and a woman? a beautiful woman soldier. She spoke?

"Don't look at me. I wasn't wrong about anything."

He didn't like this. Not one bit. His brow furrowed as he concentrated on the vision, but the more he focused the fuzzier the image became. His thoughts were interrupted as a hawk swooped before him and soon emerged with lunch. He smiled, all was right in his world. And Allah would reveal all in time.

Blessed be his name.

===================================

 

JUNE 2006 - ANNIVERSARY NUMBER FOUR
0800 LOCAL
MAC'S OFFICE - THE PENTAGON

"Colonel."

"Morning Sir." Mac stood and was waived back into her seat by the SECNAV.

Without further ado he launched into the reason he had come to her and not summoned her to his office. "Apparently angered over our dealings with Taiwan, China has refused permission for the U.S. warship the USS Curtis Wilbur to make a routine port call in Hong Kong."

Mac muffled her sigh and waited.

"Beijing is angered by a the decision to let Taiwan's defense minister, Tang Yiau-ming, attend a private defense convention this month in St. Petersburg, Florida and the Chinese Foreign Ministry summoned Ambassador Clark T. Randt to express its displeasure." He paused "But apparently decided that actions speak louder than words."

Mac spoke "The Curtis Wilbur, is a guided missile destroyer belonging to the U.S. Seventh Fleet based in Yokosuka, Japan correct sir?"

"Correct!"

Mac awaited orders.

SECNAV continued "Tang's attendance at the three-day conference was sponsored by the private U.S.-Taiwan Business Council and is the most recent result of The President's push for closer relations with Taiwan."

Still Mac awaited orders. They finally came. "Go out there and make sure we don't find ourselves in World War Three."

"Aye Sir!"

+ + +

1008 LOCAL
JAG HQ

"Tiner!" The JAG greeted the young man.

"Sir!" Jason Tiner replied.

Sturgis grinned at him. "Like old times right Tiner?"

"Yes and no sir." He panted.

"I know." Sturgis empathized. "Well Lieutenant, welcome BACK to JAG and congratulations on passing the Bar. As soon as Commander Roberts is out of Court I shall pair you with him."

"Aye Sir!"

+ + +

SOMEWHERE IN THE IRANIAN MOUNTAINS

Ossama snapped out of the dream in a cold sweat. It had been almost a year since he had had his last vision. He had convinced himself that it was all a dream and then tonight!!!

He was in strange clothes with an older woman. "So! How's Mac?" she had asked.

He in turn had replied. "She's fine."

"Quite the girl isn't she?" The woman said

"Don't start mom."

Mom? This was his mother? Again this Mac; so Mac is a woman? He lay back on his mat. Again he sat up abruptly this was not his first dream but it was the first time he had realized that he was not dreaming in Farsi!!! What was this language!

He took the position for prayer. It was many hours yet for the first prayer of the day but he needed help and he knew of but one place to get it. So what if he prayed six times today; it is all to the glory of God.

===================================

 

SEPTEMBER 11, 2007
ANNIVERSARY NUMBER FIVE
CHURCH OF THE NATIVITY, WASHINGTON DC

AJ Chedwiggen roared "Presenting for the first time in public Captain and Mrs. Sturgis Turner!" As Bobbie Latham and Sturgis walked by he tapped her on the rump "Go NAVY!"

Mac moved along the line to congratulate the couple. "Congratulations." She wished her friends.

"You and Webb are dating now?" Bobbie teased as Webb placed a kiss on her cheek.

"We keep in touch." Was all he'd admit to.

Mac chuckled. "That's right? married ten minutes and you're already scoping for the next pair."

"Bobbie leave the woman alone!" Sturgis admonished.

Harriett and Bud were next in line. "?but they make such a cute couple." Harriett joined in.

"See!" Bobbie was vindicated.

Mac rolled her eyes and grabbed Webb by his arm. "Let's get out of here before we face REAL danger."

"Only if you'll marry me. " He joked.

"Anything to get away!" She squealed.

+ + +

 

SOMEWHERE IN THE IRANIAN MOUNTAINS

Ossama jumped to his feet as Sophia approached the group of men.

"YES!" He was eager, his wife had gone into labour that morning and he was excited about staring a family. Then he noticed her demeanor. "WHAT!" He demanded.

Sophia hated this, but the only way to say it is to say it. So she did. "Your wife and your son are both dead. There is nothing that we could do... I am sorry."

"Nooooo!" He wailed and sank to his knees as the men of the village crowded around him.

===================================

 

JULY 4, 2008
ANNIVERSARY NUMBER SIX
LA JOLLA, CALIFORNIA

Sydney Walden did a final check of herself in the mirror. Her husband waited. She turned and grinned at him. His impatience evaporated and AJ Chedwiggen grinned back at her.

He sobered up as they walked out of the hotel. "Independence Day." He observed, "I suppose life doesn't stop for anything? but Independence Day." He opened the door for his wife then moved to take his place on the driver's.

"I know." She said.

It was a half an hour drive and when the Chedwiggens arrived the Roberts and Turners were already seated. Mac arrived five minutes later with Webb in tow. Had it been any other place she would have been teased mercilessly on being escorted by Webb. As it were everyone simply nodded in acknowledgement.

The Priest stepped to the altar. "We are gathered here today to pay homage to the life of Frank Brunette who after many years in a coma was called home."

+ + +

SOMEWHERE IN THE IRANIAN MOUNTAINS

A man and a woman soldier were camped. He turned to the female and said in that strange tongue that he understood.

"You know if you want, I could call down at the front desk and have them bring a room divider."

She replied, "I thought you'd want your own space."

He grinned "How much more space do I need, Mac?"

Ossama was scared. Aneesa had been his rock. For the time he had known her and then for the short time they were married the visions had left him.

"You know, Mac, the temperature is going to continue to drop. So if we don't share body heat, we're risking hypothermia."

She was sarcastic "You make it sound so inviting."

He offered, "You want an invitation?"

Now they were back. Was he a soldier? This was not possible!

"Why don't you come over here?" He offered "It's a little bit better than sleeping with scorpions."

"All right." She agreed.

WHO WAS THIS WOMAN!

"Allah help me!" He prayed. "Are these the visions of what is to be? Or memories of what has been. Guide me!"

===================================

 

DECEMBER 2009
ANNIVERSARY NUMBER SEVEN
1330 LOCAL ? OFFICE OF VICE ADMIRAL CHEDWIGGEN

"Trish!" AJ greeted her over the phone. "How are you keeping?"

"I'm ok." She said softly. "I heard you got a third star congratulations."

"Thank you but I doubt that is why you called. All is well?"

"I tried calling Mac but she's out of town." She explained, "You all have been so good to me I just? " She choked up. "I just wanted to let you know that it has been seven years and change and I have finally taken the decision to have Harm declared dead."

AJ fought the instinct to talk her out of it. She needed closure. As did Mac he was not as blind as some folks thought. He knew Mac loved Harm and needed closure as much as his mother. So all he said was "I understand and I thank you for calling."

+ + +

 

JANUARY 2010
MAC'S APARTMENT

Webb sat on the sofa and gaped. "Say again?"

"Yes I'll marry you."

His eyes narrowed. "Why!"

She became irritated. "You have been hounding me on the point and now I say yes you ask why?"

"You are on the rebound." He told her.

"From?"

"Harm!"

"Have you not heard? He's dead!" She snapped.

"? And now you say yes."

She changed tactics. "Why do you want to marry me anyway? Aren't you taking the responsibility of loosing him on that mission too far?"

The barb hit home. "That's not fair!"

"May be we should marry just to keep the rest of the population safe." She stood "Coffee?"

===================================

JULY 2010 (YEAR EIGHT)
SOMEWHERE IN THE IRANIAN MOUNTAINS

The leaders of the village were gathered. For the first time since maybe the days of Mohammed modern man was walking into their village. An infidel had arrived with all the trappings of his world in search of the legend of the Great Flood.

Of course the village was a buzz. The women tightened their robes about them, the children despite warnings followed Richard Kurtis and his camera crew everywhere. They were granted a stay of two days. Hard pressed for time Kurtis focused on his interviews.

On day two as the third call to prayer was sounded Kurtis spotted Ossama?

+ + +

TWO DAYS LATER
2316 LOCAL
LA JOLLA, CALIFORNIA

Trish fumbled for the phone in the dark. She finally found it. "Yes?"

+ + +

"In 2002 the American Government was at war with terrorism. In June of that year the NAVY and CIA collaborated in a secret mission aimed at shortening that war. As sometimes happens the mission was not completed, as the NAVY Commander assigned was lost. It is still not known what happened to him on that mission. That is until today. Two days ago a camera crew working on a story entered one of the remotest parts of Iran a place untouched by time and found the story of the century. There they found Commander Harmon Rabb Jr. MIA presumed dead. The Commander will be flown to America on a priority one flight where the details of this amazing story will undoubted unfold. One of the burning questions being if he was lost in Afghanistan how did he arrive in Iran? This is Stuart Duncan for ZNN."

Every news station on the globe carried the story.

 

 

Part 3

ONE DAY EARLIER
SOMEWHERE IN THE IRANIAN MOUNTAINS

Ossama/Harm hugged Sophia and then Yousif there were no words to express his emotional state. He tried.

Yousif stopped him. "Go Ossama. It is the will of Allah. You came to us and now you must go."

"Even if it is to find Mac." Sophia grinned.

"Even if it is to find Mac." Yousif echoed his wife. "Allah be with you my brother."

"Think of us." Sophia requested.

"I will NEVER forget you." He promised yet still he hesitated.

"You do not wish to go?" Sophia probed.

"I had planned to go to Mecca." He explained. "It is time."

Yousif nodded his understanding "Patience brother. It is not time yet. If it were then these men would not have found you. Now it is time for you to reclaim your life. It is the will of Allah. Go. You will see Mecca."

"And when you do bring this Mac to see us." Sophia suggested suddenly.

Ossama's/Harm's face lit up. "Yes!" He nodded "Yes!"

===================================

HOTEL MIEN
STUGGARD GERMANY
1650 LOCAL

Four men assembled in a hotel room. Three were friends two were strangers.

"Well Admiral - You got here in record time." Webb said to Sturgis.

"Not as fast as you apparently." He replied

Harm stared intently at Sturgis. It was the man in his visions!! If he was real then did that mean Mac was real too?! He had not really given credence to visions though they HAD scared him. Apparently he had been wrong.

Sturgis peeped out the window at the press corps camped outside. "It's a circus out there."

Webb looked at Harm. "How can someone forget their mother tongue?" He said to no one in particular.

"It happens." The translator stated.

"Apparently." Sturgis observed. "It affects memory too." Sturgis was torn. He hadn't seen his friend in eight years and finally accepted that he may be dead. Yet there he stood large as life and twice as natural. All cleaned up and shaved he seemed to be the Harmon Rabb that he knew. Eight years older ? hell they all were. But there he was. Yet he didn't know Webb or himself. Sturgis stared at his friend who just stared back blankly.

Harm spoke through the translator. "What are the plans?"

"You're the JAG" Webb said to Sturgis.

"I admit that JAG is good but I think I am correct when I say that CIA has had more practice in **planning**" he stared innocently at Webb.

Webb snorted. "That pack out there will NEVER leave so I say just run the gauntlet."

The linguist continued with the simultaneous translation and at Webb's suggestion Harm nodded in agreement.

"When do we leave?" Sturgis asked. Harm listened intently.

"We leave the hotel in half and hour."

===================================

1222 LOCAL
BETHESDA NAVAL HOSPITAL

The nurses in the hallway parted in an imitation of the Red Sea as Colonel Sarah Mackenzie came through. She knew EXACTLY where she was headed.

The door to Harm's room burst open and she came face to face with Trish, the Roberts, Chedwiggens, Turners and Webb. As the door burst open all eyes turned to lock onto her.

The tableau was broken "Mac!" Harm shouted.

As one; all eyes swung to face Harm. "He doesn't remember a blasted thing but he remembers her." AJ marveled.

"?and you are surprised sir?" Sturgis asked.

"With these two? I'm beyond that." AJ confessed as he watched.

"Mac!" Harm repeated in Farsi. "You are real. You are real!"

Mac was taken aback. Harm could barley handle English yet here he was in fluent Farsi. She lapsed into the language and moved to his side, the group moved to let her pass. "Harm. I ? Oh Lord Harm I thought you were dead! In fact we all thought you were dead!"

He frowned "Harm? I am not harmed I can assure you."

She chuckled "Your name is Harmon Rabb Jr. and we call you Harm for short. Well actually SECNAV used to call you Harmful but that's another story." She couldn't help herself as she ran her hand first through his hair then over his cheek and finally down his arm.

He relaxed. Her touch was so gentle and loving. As she began to pull away he grabbed her hand and held on. "I am called Ossama." He grinned and Mac melted. Much had changed but that flyboy grin had emerged intact. "Are you my wife?"

Mac burst out laughing.

Webb had had enough. "Ok Mac give."

"Did you just tell him his name?" Harriett asked. "Not to mention SECNAV's nickname for him?"

Mac snapped out their little world "Where is the translator?!" she demanded.

"He had to return to Afghanistan." Sturgis explained.

"You telling me he has been here all this time cut off!" She began to seethe.

AJ headed her off. "You're here now so talk to us."

She began translating. "He goes by the name of Ossama."

"That we knew!" Webb told her. "We want more."

"Then you'll have to wait until I say you can get more." A new voice said. "I'm Dr. Ruben. First there are too many of you in here. Second I don't want my patient overwhelmed or pressured and that is what is happening here. I want two people in here at a time. So decide and the rest of you ? out!"

"That will be his mother and Mac." AJ's tone brokered no argument.

As everyone else filed out Harm tugged on Mac, she turned to him. "I think that this woman is my mother." He said.

"She is." Mac assured him. "Can you say mom in English?"

He focused remembering the scene on the balcony. "Mooom" He tried.

"Again." Mac encouraged in Farsi. "But don't drag the word."

"Mom." He got out.

"OH!" Trish was overwhelmed. She had been since the midnight phone call but coming face to face with Harm and the entire situation was too much and now this.

"Mac she's crying! Did I do something wrong?" Harm was as distraught as his mother.

"It's all right. It has been a trying time for her. For all of us." Mac assured him. "The emotions overpower."

"It has been a trying time for you too?" He asked.

She paused then admitted. "For me too."

The doctor returned with the Secretary of the Navy in tow. "Short and sweet sir."

SECNAV nodded and stepped forward. "Mrs. Burnette." He acknowledged "SO! Rabb I see we have you back safe and sound."

Mac translated.

"Colonel!"

"Sir!"

"Until further notice you are TAD to JAG with the special assignment of Rabb. Seems that not only do you have a special link to the man." He stared at the hands mutually entangled "But you speak the lingo. Do as the Doctor orders." With that he left.

"Well." Trish said.

"Well." Mac echoed.

"Well." Harm added.

Mac smiled as the English word popped out.

"I am beginning to understand more and more of this language." He explained. "But having spoken Farsi exclusively for the last eight years I may not be able to say the words properly."

"Understood."

"You did not answer me. Are you my wife?" he hoped she was.

"No." She said gently and sadly.

He picked up on the emotion. "? but we are close?"

"We were."

Trish coughed they may not be speaking English but she recognized the signs of intimacy when she saw it. "If you will excuse me I need some coffee."

"Kof he?" Harm tried in English.

Mac translated. "Ah." He understood and nodded. When the door closed he continued. "? but we are close?"

"Yes." Mac was beginning to feel uncomfortable. This man looked like Harm and there was the smile but there were changes too. She'd never known him to be this persistent on emotional matters.

"There is something wrong." He stated.

She wanted to pull away but his grip on her was firm. She tried to change the topic. "So do we call you Harm or Ossama?"

He didn't answer for suddenly he had a revelation they were on a boat.

"I heard that during the Millennium celebration this bridge was completely covered in Roman Candles with the word Eternity."

Mac responded "Is that how long we are going to wait?"

"E ? turn ? e ? ty." He spoke in English.

Mac froze. "Oh God." She breathed of all the memories to pop up it HAD to be that one. Harm's grip tightened. The visions were coming thick and fast.

 

[FLASHBACK]

Harm: Mac, you have someone who will always love you.

Mac: And you have somebody that loves you.

+ + +

Mac: I don't know why we couldn't work things out with us Harm. So where does that leave us?

Harm: I don't know Mac at the end I guess

Mac: How about back at the beginning.

+ + +

Mac (under the mistletoe): Awkward moment number 310 (They kiss.)

[END OF FLASHBACK]

 

 

Mac was worried she stood and pressed the buzzer. Soon a nurse entered. "Yes?"

"I'm fine." Harm told Mac. "Tell her I am fine. It was just a dream."

"You're sure?" Mac was still concerned.

He nodded. Mac conveyed his message and the nurse left. "What dream!" She demanded.

"I have had dreams but now I think they are memories. This how I know my mother and Sturgis and you. Now that I am here in America and with you they are coming faster and faster."

"?and that is what happened now?" she sat but he still held onto her hand.

"Yes."

"I see." She didn't press.

"Don't you want to know?" he asked.

"If you want to tell."

"You are an amazing woman, the women I know would all press to have me share." He complimented her. She blushed. He continued. "My memories show me that we have been through much together. How long have we known each other?"

"Before you left we had been friends for seven years."

"You say friends."

"Because that is what we were? are best friends."

He frowned. "In all this time I have never told you that I love you?" He asked.

Mac almost chocked. "No." She managed to say.

"Then I can only conclude that this Harmon Rabb is a fool."

"You do realize that YOU are Harmon Rabb." Mac pointed out.

"Indeed. Then I am a fool." He repeated. "I have but a very small part of my memories in place yet I can tell there is more between us that this friendship you describe." He sat up.

Mac was caught off guard. "Hey!" The clutched hands finally broke apart.

"I have lost fifteen years?"

"Fifteen?" She cut across.

"Seven with you and eight away." He did the maths. "I ask you Sarah." He paused. "Sarah?"

"That's my name." She clarified. "Sarah Mackenzie hence Mac."

"See!" He was triumphant "More of the memory returns. "So I ask? do you love me too?"

"Too?" She dodged.

"I apologise for the long time it took but I believe that despite all that has happened there is evidence to prove that I love you. And on the off chance that my actions are misinterpreted let me say that I love you. Do you love me?"

Mac had no idea how they had got to this point so fast. But there they were. "Yes." She said and was rewarded with the flyboy grin.

They didn't hear Trish return in time to hear him struggle to say. "I luv oou" He got out in English.

"As I told you before son. Quite the girl isn't she?"

"Mom." He smiled and held out his hand to her.

===================================

 

TWO YEARS LATER
SOMEWHERE IN THE IRANIAN MOUNTAINS

Mustafa came running. "Sophia! Yousif! Ossama is back!!! Ossama is back!!!" Shouting for the couple he informed the whole village in the process. By the time Harm arrived the village was out in full force.

Sophia could contain herself no longer and enveloped him in a bear hug. "Ossama! Allah be praised!!!"

"Sophia, Yousif I want you to meet Mac."

"Mac! You found her." Yousif reached for Mac. "Blessed be."

Mac smiled and found herself in a similar hug. "There is but one God."

"She speaks Farsi!" Sophia was pleasantly surprised.

"? and I speak English so now we speak in two languages." Harm chuckled. "And I did go to Mecca."

"I knew you would for it is the will of Allah. But I am curious, tell me Ossama ? who is Mac?"

Mac, Sophia and Yousif waited for his reply. "My best friend. Even when she was not here with me she guided me and now she is my wife."

 

 

END
Hoped you liked.

 

For updates on my new FF join: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jagrslc  
The FF is archived at: http://www.geocities.com/jagrslc
Join the Fan Fiction Challenge at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ffchallange