Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
620
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,010

The Transformation

Summary:

Fandom: The Sentinel
Characters: Jim Ellison, Blair Sandburg
Archive: Yes
Genre: Gen (could be perceived as pre-slash or just heavy smarm)
Rating: FRT
Warnings: Smarm alert!! No owies, a little Jim angst <g>
Summary: Blair's gone and Jim misses his guide.
Disclaimer: I don't own The Sentinel or any of the characters.
Notes: This isn't beta'd and it's basically PWP.
Submitted through http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SenseXangstRevisited

Work Text:

 

 

The Transformation
by Debbie


Jim woke up, automatically searching for the heartbeat of his friend and guide, but it wasn't there. As he sat up in his bed, he remembered that Blair was gone, and would be for another three days.

Jim reflected on the fact that their friendship had reached a point where there was trust and love between him and Blair. He never thought, after their initial meeting, that such a thing would happen. It was all because of Blair. The guy just didn't give up, ever. And he had worn Jim down to the point of surrender. Okay, so maybe it wasn't that bad, but Jim suspected that Blair Sandburg had never met an obstacle that he didn't get around or through.

The phone ringing brought Jim out of his contemplation. He reached over to the bedside table, picking up the cordless phone.

"Ellison."

"Hey, Jim! There was a cancellation of one of my seminars and I thought I'd take the time to call you early. How's it going?"

"Honestly, Chief, I missed the comfort of your heartbeat this morning."

There was silence on the other end of the line.

"Blair? Are you still there?"

"Uh… yeah, Jim. I just didn't expect such honesty from you."

"Well, you were the one that taught me to be honest with myself and others."

"Okay. Well, I'll be home in three days. Are you going to be okay that long?"

"I think I can manage. It's just that next time, you can't be gone as long."

"Sure, Jim. I think I can manage that. Since we're being honest with each other, I'm missing you, too. Not that I can hear your heartbeat or anything, but I miss just talking with you."

"Yeah, look at us, Chief. We're just like a married couple." There was a slight laugh from Jim.

"Friendships are nothing to scoff at, Jim Ellison. They are something to be treasured and cherished for as long as you can. Life is tough enough, but even tougher if you have to go it alone without a friend."

"What, are you writing for Hallmark now?"

"Okay, if you're just going to mock me, I can find something better to do, like work on the speech I'm going to give."

"No, no! Wait, Blair. I'm sorry. You know how I get when things get too mushy." Jim hoped he hadn't made Blair mad.

"Okay, Jim. No more mush. So, what are your plans for today?"

"Well, I thought I'd clean the loft from top to bottom, including tackling that dump you call a room."

"I do not believe you, man! Mocking and dissing me in the same conversation. You don't see me jumping on your short-comings."

"That's because I have no short-comings."

"Ha! This from the guy who has to inspect every square inch of the loft after he cleans."

"Hey, I'll have you know that it's for you as much as it's for me."

"Yeah, I really care about cleanliness."

"You should and maybe you wouldn't be so sick so often."

"Maybe I should let you go to your cleaning, Jim. Before one of us says something that he has to apologize for."

"Yeah, we sort of moved away from all that mushy stuff, haven't we?"

"Hey, I still miss you, Jim."

"And I miss you, too, Blair."

"I'll be home in three days, Jim. And I'll call every day."

"Sounds good to me, Chief. Take care of yourself."

"I will, Jim. Bye."

"Bye, Blair."

Jim held onto the phone even after the connection was gone. He was truthful with Blair. He really did miss him. Maybe it had something to do with the sentinel/guide bond, but Jim suspected it had much more to do with the friendship bond.



END