Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 2 of Gillian
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2004-07-29
Words:
24,518
Chapters:
3/3
Kudos:
20
Hits:
1,515

Windmills Of Your Mind

Summary:

Dylan and Gillian's relationship moved to new level, old enemies return, a new beginning for Tyr... and more.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: complete

Notes:

Fandom: Andromeda
Summary: Dylan and Gillian's relationship moved to new level, old enemies return, a new beginning for Tyr... and more. Now complete.
Rating: G
Pairing: Dylan/ofc

Chapter Text

"Gillian 2: Windmills Of Your Mind"
By Cherubino

Round like a circle and a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel
Never ending or beginning on the ever-spinning reel
Like a snowball down the mountain, or a carnival balloon
Like a carousel that's turning, spinning reels around the room
Like a clock that's hands are sweeping past the minutes on its face,
And the world is like an apple rolling silently in space.
Let the images unwind
Like the circles that you find
In the windmills of your mind.
"Windmills of your mind", rendition by Sting.


In her unstoppable curiosity regarding everything Andromeda Gillian stuck her nose into every nook and cranny, and in one of the storage areas she found a real treasure -- a baby-grand piano and a stack of sheet music. She arranged for it to be brought to the Obs deck and now she sat down at it and touched the keys. It has been a long time since she played last, but she remembered -- Major and Minor, black and white, happy and sad, just like her life. Wouldn't have it any other way. In the music sheets she found one of her favorites, The Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven. Amazing how a piece of music thousands of years old could still evoke such strong emotions. She played it for a while and than switched to lighter, happier pieces. Gillian was so engrossed in her music she didn't hear Dylan come in. He placed his hands on her shoulders and kissed the top of her head.

"I didn't know you could do this."

"There are many things we don't know about each other, the whole point is to learn, to discover together."

She leaned back on him, enjoying the warmth and quiet intimacy of the moment.

"So, was music a career ambition or a hobby for you?"

"Actually neither. My father insisted I learned to play as a finger exercise."

"???"

"Piano scales dramatically improve hand dexterity. Very important for a surgeon."

Dylan was about to say something when Beka's agitated voice came from intercom:

"Gillian, I need you in Tyr's quarters, this is an emergency!"

* * *

Fifteen minutes earlier Beka was on her way to the Mess Hall when something caught her attention. She just passed Tyr's quarters and his door was ajar. Now, Tyr never ever left his door open. Something had to give and after short argument with herself Beka the Curious won over Beka the Cautious and peeked inside. The lights were on low so she couldn't see much but she heard strange noises coming from the direction of his sleeping chamber. She just decided to venture a little further when she heard a soul- tearing scream. After a short pause it was followed by another, and than yet another. These sounds related such agony that Beka became genuinely scared. She commanded the lights on full and ran into Tyr's bedroom. He was sprawled on the floor, one hand clutching on to the sheet he was tangled in, the other grabbing his shoulder, blood seeping from under his fingers. He was drenched in sweat and his skin had a grayish tint. Suddenly he let out another scream, his body arched and bucked off the floor, muscles straining in agonizing rictus. That was when Beka paged Gillian.

Gillian ran in with Dylan close on her heels. She was momentarily stunned by what she saw, but recovered quickly. This was not the time to react, but to act; so she took the hypo injector out of the emergency kit and carefully approached the Nietzschean. Dylan frowned:

"You shouldn't come close, he may hurt you. Let me do this."

"No, he will not hurt me, but I don't know how will he react to you. I think it would be better if you waited in the other room."

Both Dylan and Beka refused to move. They wanted to be close in case Tyr does something irrational, so Gillian proceeded. She kept talking quietly, trying to keep him calm, like she would a scared child. Suddenly he turned to her and croaked:

"I can't take the pain any more. Help me."

"Why didn't you call me right away?"

"I was embarrassed. I didn't want to look weak."

"Stubbornness is not a survival trait, Anasazi. You should know better. Take a deep breath and try to relax a little, I am going to give you something for the pain and than I'll take you to the Medical and we'll see what's wrong. " He closed his eyes nodding his acquiescence.

"Andromeda, please send a stretcher to Mr. Anasazi's quarters."

"On the way."

* * *

Gillian took one look at Tyr's shoulder and closed her eyes. "By the Divine!"

"What?" Dylan and Beka looked puzzled. Gillian turned to Dylan:

"Back on Andalla, when the two of you were taken by that . creature, she made Tyr fight for her entertainment. She thought herself a restorer of Gladiators. The monster he fought with managed to wound him. He dismissed the injury; he was more concerned with getting you and everyone else out. He was sure his nanobots would take care of it. He never brought it up again and I thought he was Ok. How could have I been so negligent!"

Dylan put a hand on her shoulder, "Gillian, I was in the gym and the steam room with him many times since then and I saw no sign of injury. You didn't know and I am sure that even he didn't know until recently."

Somewhat calmed, Gillian continued to examine her patient. Five gushes left by the creature's talons were inflamed and oozing blood and some sort of greenish-gray substance. She collected a sample for further testing and proceeded to carefully lance, clean and seal each wound.

Forty-eight hours later Tyr's condition didn't improve much. The fever wouldn't go down, he drifted in and out of consciousness and was still in a lot of pain. Gillian looked at the tests that she finished running, rubbed her eyes and turned to Rommie:

"I was hoping I was wrong, but this is the third time I re-ran the same test and the outcome is consistent with the other two. I need you to send a message to Harper and Trance. They will have to cut their vacation short; I can't handle it without their assistance. Also, please inform Captain Hunt and Captain Valentine of the test results."

"Done."

Few minutes later Dylan and Beka walked in. Both saw that Gillian was dead on her feet, two days without sleep took their toll. Hearing them come in, she started to speak:

"The situation is much more serious than I thought. The wounds were infected with time-released venom that not only caused the fever and pain, but also disabled Tyr's immune system. The nanobots responsible for his body's healing and internal defenses are malfunctioning and I don't have enough knowledge of nanotechnology to correct the problem."

"Harper will come up with something and Trance is pretty resourceful too. I am sure between the three of you you'll find a solution to the problem." Dylan's confidence was comforting, but Gillian had her doubts. Before she could say anything, he continued: "Why don't you get some rest before you make yourself sick. Maybe things will look better tomorrow. "

"And who is going to stay here and take care of my patient? You?" She didn't mean to snap at him, but she was too tired.

"No, not him. Me." Gillian looked at Beka completely surprised. She never thought Captain Valentine would volunteer as a nurse and she wasn't sure in her abilities. Her ambivalence probably shown on her face, because Beka gave her a half-smile and said, "Who do you think took care of my father when he would go on his Flash binges? Believe me, I have had more practice nursing than I cared for. I'll baby-sit Anasazi, go and rest."

"C'mon, Beka will be fine here, plus Andromeda will monitor Tyr as well. We'll know right away if anything is wrong."

"Ok, ok, I am going. Beka, please make sure to keep me informed."

Beka gave her a mock salute and pushed her out of the Medical. Dylan followed, not trusting Gillian completely. When it came to her patients she was more than stubborn.

* * *

Tyr was awake but reluctant to open is eyes. He remembered the last time he was in similar situation. This time was not much different -- or wasn't it? Something within his body didn't feel right, but he didn't know what and that worried him. At least the pain was manageable now. He heard a faint movement and felt a hand on his forehead. It was not Gillian and neither it was Trance. It smelled like . like Beka. He was surprised she was here and somewhat glad. "Rebecca? Why are you here?" He asked, "where is Dr. Ratischer?"

"Hello to you too, Tyr. Gillian is hopefully resting, she was with you for two days straight and Dylan almost reserved to the method you used last time to get her to sleep a little." Tyr chuckled. His friend was stubborn as a mule and as protective as a mother-bear of her cubs when it came to her patients. He wanted to say something but his throat was too dry. Beka understood:

"Thirsty?"

He nodded and she put her arm under his neck and carefully brought him up a little and placed a cup to his lips. He drank greedily. When he finished, she gently laid him back down and went to the other side of the room.

"Two days?"

"Yes. Two days. Do you remember anything that happened to you?"

"I recall finishing my shift and going to my quarters. For some reason I felt overly tired, so I decided to go straight to bed. I remember waking up overwhelmed with pain, Gillian, going to Medical and than nothing until now."

Beka was standing next to him now and he felt a wet cool cloth moving over is face and body, carefully avoiding his shoulder. He liked the sensation and the fact that Beka was doing it came as an added bonus. However he also felt exposed and vulnerable, and that he didn't like, so he stopped her hand with his.

"So, do you know what is wrong with me?"

"I leave it to Gillian to explain."

"Very well."

Beka hesitated a moment and than asked, "Why did you stop me? Did I hurt you?"

"You did not hurt me, I just was not very comfortable with you ministering to me."

"You are not uncomfortable with Gillian helping you?"

"It is different with her."

"How?"

Tyr turned his head to better see her face and winced from sharp pain the small movement caused. He waited for the pain to subside and asked:

"Did she ever tell you how we met?"

"No, not really."

"To understand our relationship you would need to know how did it begin."

Beka settled back in her chair and looked at Tyr: "I am not going anywhere. If you feel up to it, I really want to hear this story."

"Alright, Captain Valentine. It all began about ten years ago, when I got out of the mines. I took one of the shuttles that belonged to the mining company and headed for the Aurum system. Auris-Prime was a place where a mercenary could find employment and I needed funds badly. I guess solar storms are really a bad omen for me. Just as I was approaching Auris I was caught in one of Gargantuan magnitude. My shuttle was no match for it and I was forced to crush-land on one of the neighboring planets. That miserable piece or rock didn't even have a name, just a number. I hoped to sit the storm out, repair my ship and be on my way, but as our resident Magog would say, the Divine works in mysterious ways. It is so happened that not long before my arrival, this planet was raided by Drago-Katzov. Whoever survived the raid was bent on revenge. I walked into town with no intentions on interactions with the local populace. All I needed were spare parts and some food, but in a few moments I was attacked. The mob didn't care that I was not Drago-Katzov; all they cared about was the fact that I was a Nietzschean. Outnumbered and outgunned I was severely wounded. My attackers prematurely decided that I was dead. I waited for them to leave and crawled to a secluded alley behind small bodega. Only then I allowed myself to pass out.

I regained consciousness sometime later from a flashlight beam in my eyes. A young woman, small and so slight in statue that at first I took her for a child, looked at me with concern. I sensed no danger from her but still I tried to look as menacing as I could when I asked:

"What, came to finish the job?"

"No, actually I was trying to help you."

"Why?"

"I am a doctor, that's what I do."

I believed her. She was the straw of hope and I grabbed it. She took me to her home and tended my wounds. She helped me bathe and fed me and never even told me her name, nor she asked for mine. A human helping a Nietzschean without an ulterior motive. That evoked certain feelings within me, feelings I didn't know I was capable of experiencing towards anyone outside my pride. When we exchanged names, I thought that I should remember hers.

I was exhausted, feverish and still in pain. Finally I fell asleep, but not for long. Another solar storm came that night and my nightmares returned. Again and again I saw my mother being murdered, again and again I was drowning in blood, the blood of my people, the blood of my family. I knew I was dreaming but as usual I couldn't will myself to wake up. Suddenly the terror stopped. I felt safe and protected; someone was embracing me, holding me like a mother would hold a child. I opened my eyes and saw her, sitting next to me, my head on her shoulder, her arms around me.

"Do you know I could have killed you just now?"

She smiled, "but you didn't. I am sorry if I violated your space, but you were screaming and I felt such pain in your screams I didn't know what else to do. I just wanted you to stop hurting. Do you want to talk about it?"

I barked "No!" and detached myself from her. I turned to face the wall hoping she would leave, but she just sat there, stroking my hair. Just like my mother did when I was little. So I told her about the darkest night of my life. And finally I was able to cry. And she cried with me, for the people she never knew. That night a bond formed between us that was stronger than blood.

My body was drained by the labor in the mines and the time I spent in the desert, so I didn't heal as fast as I would have under normal circumstances, so I spent almost a month with Gillian. I knew that the longer I stayed the greater was the chance I was discovered, so we made arrangements for me to leave the planet on one of the cargo transports. One of the crew decided that he'd make more by turning us in, so when I was leaving Gillian's home we were arrested. She was taken immediately, I managed to get away only to be captured later. She didn't know I was taken. I escaped but failed to break her out of that prison. She thought I betrayed her. When I was ready to try again the place was swarmed by Magog. I was told she had died in the attack so I stowed away on one of the remaining transports and got away. Ten years later I saw her here and you know the rest."

Tyr looked at Beka and saw a suspicious glimmer in her eyes. "I never thought you were so emotional, Captain Valentine," he commented, a hint of a smile on his lips.

Beka swallowed the lump in her throat. For the first time in her life she didn't know what to say. Somehow she didn't feel like making one of her signature snappy comebacks, so she just took his hand and squeezed it lightly. He held on to her hand for a moment and than let go.

"Rebecca, there is something I have been meaning to tell you. Don't interrupt me, just listen." Beka nodded and he continued: "I owe you an apology. Actually it is long overdue, but I guess later is better then never. I am sorry for insulting you that night. Human women, at least the ones here, on Andromeda, are unique and I was wrong in my generalizing. As Gillian once told me, it is not right to transpose one's prejudices towards the species on to the individuals. Would you."

Tyr paused and Beka waited for what he was about to say when holographic Andromeda appeared next to them. "Captain Valentine, it is time for Mr. Anasazi's medication. You have volunteered to relieve Dr. Ratischer, you shouldn't neglect your responsibilities."

"I've got to get Harper to adjust your timing routines, Rommie, because they sure are off." Beka muttered to herself getting up and going over to the table where Gillian left a number of loaded hypo injectors and instructions for her. She gave him his shot and sat back down. The moment was lost and they spent some time in silence. Soon the sedative took effect and Tyr fell asleep.

* * *

"Look, even super-geniuses like me have their limits!" Harper sounded exasperated. He spent past few days in Medlab, together with Trance, Gillian and Rev. He was able to tweak Tyr's nanobots enough to stop them from attacking his body from within, but that was it. He couldn't restore their original function and he couldn't stabilize them. If things were to stay in their current state, Anasazi would have the body of a human. Plus the existing nanobots will eventually deteriorate so he will have to have them replaced regularly. For him would mean dependency and vulnerability.

Gillian delivered the news to him feeling like an executioner. Tyr took the information in and asked her to leave, he needed to be alone. He threw out anyone who attempted to talk to him and locked himself in Medical. He was overwhelmed by the feeling of despair. He was Homo Sapience Invictus, things like that just didn't happen to him! He roared and smashed his fist into the wall making a noticeable dent. And bruising and bloodying his knuckles. He twisted his mouth in mirthless smile. Only a few days ago he wouldn't even have noticed the impact and the damage would have been repaired by his body in minutes. Now he didn't even know his own body any more. His endurance, his tolerance for pain, his resistance to sickness, many other things that together constituted his superiority have changed. He roared again and started throwing things around. In the matter of minutes Med Deck looked like it's been hit by a tornado. Suddenly Tyr felt totally exhausted and had to brace himself against the wall. He couldn't remain upright so he slid down and sat on the floor. He covered his face with his hands and remained motionless for a while. He didn't move even when he heard someone come in. Few seconds later something cold and wet landed on the floor next to him.

"Wrap your hand in it or it will swell." Tyr recognized Harper's voice and looked up in surprise.

"Leave, boy. Or I."

"You what? Kill me? Nah, you are too busy feeling sorry for yourself. 'Me, Supreme Being, now having to learn how to live like human!' You are pathetic, Anasazi! To think that I actually believed your "While there is life, there is hope" crap.

"So, you have a problem. Who doesn't? You are still alive, aren't you? You have friends even though the Divine knows you don't deserve to have any and they really care for you. Your stomach isn't filled with Magog larvae like yours truly is. You have a way to control and possibly improve your condition, so why the hell you are acting like that? You said you care about Gillian, why did you hurt her feelings just now? She spent days by your side saving your miserable life -- again! -- and more days trying to find a cure for you. How dare you treat her the way you did? How dare you treat any of us the way you did? Get yourself together, Anasazi!"

Harper was screaming in Tyr's face, angry with the Nietzschean. As much as Seamus hated to admit it, Tyr was his 'tower of strength'. Tyr was not allowed to fall apart, it was his, Harper's prerogative. Tyr was supposed to be the one grab him by the scruff of his neck and shake sense into him. Having to reverse roles was tough, but Harper felt he owed Tyr that much. That's why he risked his hide and went to talk to him.

Tyr looked at Harper and for a moment Seamus was scared by the amount of pain and anguish that filled his dark eyes. He spoke quietly, almost inaudibly: "Thank you, boy. I needed that." He attempted to get up but failed and when Harper offered his hand he accepted. Seamus just managed to maneuver him up when Dylan walked in. He took in the devastation in Medical but made no comment and turned to Harper and Tyr:

"Mr. Harper, Rommie needs you in engineering. Why don't you go and I'll take Mr. Anasazi to his quarters." He carefully guided Tyr through the hallways. When they reached Tyr's quarters he brought him in and settled him in the chair, sensing that trying to put the Nietzschean to bed would be overstepping the boundaries. He went over to the cooling unit and took out a few ice cubes and wrapped them in the towel. Handing the makeshift compress to Tyr he said:

"There is nothing wrong with receiving help from those who care about you. You just have to learn to accept it."

"Thank you, Dylan."

"You are welcome." Hunt walked out, leaving Tyr alone with his thoughts.

* * *

Tyr found Gillian on the Obs Deck. She was playing something familiar to him and after a few more bars he smiled in recognition. How fitting! "Appassionata" by Beethoven, a piece full of passion and anger. She stopped abruptly and said without turning her head:

"It was not a public performance."

"You were not supposed to know I was here."

"I could feel you staring at me, Anasazi."

"It is not like you to be so.contemptible."

"Guess I learn from the pros."

"Look, I am sorry for the way I behaved. What I said was."

"What you said doesn't matter. What you did does. We all could say things we regret, our mouths often outrun our brains. But you shut everyone out, nullified our efforts to help you. Do you know that Rev and Trance spent days in the lab doing research? Do you know how many hours Harper went refusing to rest so he could try one more thing? Don't apologize to me, I accept you the way you are. Ask their forgiveness. Accept their help."

"You know, Harper and Dylan said the same things. Actually I said it all to myself. Although not before Harper gave me a verbal beating of my life."

"And what did you do to him?"

"Thanked him for it."

"You are learning."

"So, do you forgive me, Kludge?"

"Yes, Uber, I forgive you." Gillian went over and sat next to him. She took his face in her hands and looked him in the eye: "I promise I will do anything and everything to help you."

"I trust you. As Little Professor eloquently put it, you keep saving my miserable life over and over again. Would you do me another small favor?"

"What?"

"Play something for me."

Gillian smiled and nodded and went over to the piano. She shuffled the music sheets for a while until she found what she was looking for. Rachmaninoff, Piano Concerto # 2.

"I think you will like it."

* * *

Tyr was on Obs Deck long after Gillian finished playing and left. He was rethinking his life. Beka walked in with a cup of coffee and a book and saw him here. Not wanting to intrude and hoping he didn't notice her she started to leave but his soft voice stopped her:

"Rebecca."

She turned around.

"Could I please talk to you?"

"Sure. What's up?" She was nervous, she had no idea why but she was, so she attempted to hide it behind fake cheerfulness.

"Would you mind if I asked that we.spend time together?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that I enjoy your company and would like to spend time with you. Does that offend you in any way?"

"No, it's just."

"Are you still upset with me about that evening?"

"No, I accepted your apology and I meant it. It's just that it was unexpected, that's all. But yes, I would like for us to spend time together."

"Good. I am pleased. Enjoy your reading." He trailed his fingers over the back of her hand that held the book, stood up and left.

* * *

Gillian woke up at 0200 hours to find the bed empty. Again. It was happening every night since their return from Pellius. She was hoping that Dylan would talk to her about whatever was bothering him, but he didn't. She got up, put her robe on and went looking for him. The first obvious place was his office, but he wasn't there, so she went to hydroponics. She heard the dribble of the basketball even before she walked in. The ball almost hit her in the head when she entered. Dylan was clearly startled by her presence.

"Didn't expect you here. What are you doing up?"

"I could ask you the same question, only I did expect you to be here."

"Is Andromeda as usual keeping track of me?"

"I know you well enough, I don't have to ask her where you are." She came closer to him. "What is wrong, Dylan?"

"Nothing," he smiled, but the smile looked artificial. "Why don't you go back to bed, I'll be there in a little while."

"I am not going anywhere until you talk to me. Andromeda, engage privacy mode, authorization Chief Medical Officer Dr. Gillian Ratischer." Before the ship could reply Dylan requested: "Andromeda, belay that order. Gillian, I told you that nothing is wrong. Don't you know when to quit? There are things that I need to work out on my own, so please stop prying. You can't solve everybody's problems."

Gillian felt like she was slapped in the face. She willed herself to remain calm and said: "Very well, Dylan, I will stop "prying" as you so eloquently put it. But I want you to do yourself a favor and talk to someone before things get out of hand. You have to remember that by neglecting your health, be it physical or mental, you face potential harmful consequences not only for yourself but also for your crew. You are responsible for the lives of others, Dylan, never forget that. Good night." She walked out of Hydroponics and headed straight for her rooms. She didn't feel like returning to Dylan's bed.

Few moments after Gillian left Rommie walked in. "Dylan, Dr. Ratischer is right. You haven't gotten a full night's rest since your return from Pellius. And when you do sleep your heart rate is increased, your breathing is erratic and perspiration level is elevated. All these are signs that you are having nightmares. Do I take that your time on the planet is the source of these nightmares and you don't want to discuss it?"

"I can't discuss it. I can't remember what happened to me. I know the end result but who did it and why I can't recall."

"Dylan, selective amnesia is a defense mechanism. Your mind couldn't deal with what happened, so it blocked the memory."

"I understand that."

"So why didn't you tell to Gillian what you just told me?"

"I was embarrassed. I felt that if she learns that I couldn't deal with it, she would think less of me."

"But you didn't feel that she would think less of you after what you just said to her? I am sorry, Dylan but I fail to see the logic in that. You seem to care about her a great deal but every time you do something to jeopardize your relationship. I don't recall you ever acting this way with Dr. Reilly."

"It was different with Sarah. I am not saying I didn't love her, but it was all very toned down. Gillian on the other hand makes me feel things I didn't know I was capable of feeling. With her I loose my head."

Rommie folded her arms on her chest and cocked her head. "Dylan, should you really be telling all this to me? I have a feeling that someone else needs to hear it, and soon."

Dylan looked at Rommie and suddenly hugged her tightly. "Thanks, Rommie!" He almost ran out of Hydroponics. At the door he turned and tossed her the ball. She caught it and smiled.

Finding his quarters empty Dylan proceeded to Gillian's. He pressed the access button a few times but got no answer, so he requested a lock override and walked in. The room was dark and after brightly lit hallway he couldn't see her, but he was sure she was here. He heard a soft rustle of fabric, probably her robe or a sheet, and than she said, "lights on, low." The room filled with soft light. Dylan saw that Gillian was sitting with her back to him, looking at the stars in the viewer. He ran his hand through his hair. She asked in a flat voice:

"Why are you here?"

"I came to my room but you weren't there."

"Did you really expect me to be?"

"No."

"Then I ask you again, why are you here?"

"I came to apologize."

"Don't bother."

"Gillian, please listen to me!" She turned and now he could see her profile. "You didn't deserve what I said to you. I was not angry with you, I was angry with myself. I was afraid that if I admit that I have a problem you would think less of me."

She now turned completely and Dylan saw that she was crying. "Dylan, we are lovers and I was hoping we are friends. If you cannot trust me, whom do you trust then? I am not asking you to reveal a tactical secret or break diplomatic confidentiality. I do not interfere in the affairs of Captain Hunt, but I want to be involved in the life of Dylan Hunt. I would never judge you, Dylan; and I would never think less of you, because I love you."

Dylan went over to her, kneeled and rested his head on her lap. Gillian ran her hands through his hair. "It is three in the morning. Time you went to bed."

"Ok, I just need a quick shower."

He showered and returned to bed. Gillian put her arms around him and he held her tight. She traced her finger along a faint scar on his chest, a memento of his trip to Pellius. He shuddered and covered her hand with his to stop the movement. Suddenly a realization came to her: "Dylan is this about Pellius? About what happened to you there?"

He laughed, no humor in his laugh. "It's about the fact that I can't remember what happened to me there. And when I go to sleep I have nightmares but I can't remember about what. So I stopped sleeping, because I couldn't take it any more."

Gillian tightened her hold on him. "And you were afraid to tell me that?"

"More embarrassed than afraid. And lately you had your hands full."

Gillian felt a pang of guilt. "I am sorry love, I didn't realize I was neglecting you."

"No, you weren't. I know how important your work is to you, and I know how close you are with Tyr. It was hard on you."

"Right now we are not talking about me."

"No, we are talking about us. I realize now that in a relationship there shouldn't be 'you' or 'me' but 'us'. Whatever we do affects us both. I don't want to cause you any more pain. I love you." He turned her face to him and kissed her. His kiss was more expressive than anything he said. For a moment they were completely lost in each other and than both started laughing when they heard Andromeda's voice: "Privacy mode engaged, authorization Andromeda Ascendant."

"You know, Captain Hunt, your ship sometimes takes too much on herself."

"I couldn't agree more. Authorization confirmed, Captain Dylan Hunt. Thank you, Rommie! Now, where were we?"

* * *

Today was a rare day when Gillian welcomed her shift in Command. Usually she hated them and complied only because she understood the necessity of it. Just like she insisted that all crewmembers be trained at least in emergency medical procedures, Dylan wanted everyone to have working knowledge of Command and its operations. But today, after spending hours convincing the crew that regular physical examinations were not her whim but a standard and necessary procedure, she needed the quiet. She had a lot to think about.

Several hours into her shift the communication console beeped. Gillian looked at the sensors and pushed the internal commlink:

"Bridge to Captain Hunt. We are receiving an incoming transmission form Jaguar-Sabra home world. Archduke Charlemagne Bolivar is requesting communication with you. Should Andromeda patch it to your quarters?"

"No, I'm on my way to the bridge."

Moments later Dylan walked in, followed by Beka. "Andromeda, put it through please."

The view screen lit up and Bolivar's face appeared.

"Dylan, it is good to see you! Beka Valentine, I hope you are well!"

Dylan's tone was rather cool: "Archduke Bolivar, what can we do for you?"

"As of yesterday, I am a proud father of a son given to me by Elssbett, and to honor this momentous occasion Jaguar-Sabra prides are having a celebration in three days hence to which you are cordially invited. Your entire band of merry men . and women is invited, actually. This event will be open for our other non-Nietzschean alliances, so Dylan, don't pass an opportunity to make your pitch for Commonwealth. The details and dates will follow shortly. "

Dylan was about to say something when Bolivar's gaze fell on Gillian.

"Say, Dylan, and who is this lovely lady?"

"This is our Chief Medical Officer Dr. Gillian Ratischer. She only joined the Andromeda's crew recently."

"It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Doctor. If these people mistreat you in any way, please consider working for me. I am in dire need of a personal physician."

"I am sure your highness that the pleasure is all yours. As for your offer of employment - I am a surgeon, so unless you want something removed or amputated." She made an apologetic gesture with her hand. She heard Beka in the back making noises, trying hard not to laugh at her last comment.

Bolivar took the joke in stride, " I do believe Dylan you have a very good taste in women. Captain Valentine, my wife, now Dr. Ratischer. You have to tell me how you do it.

Well, I am off. Good day." And the communication was terminated.

Gillian was still digesting what she just heard when she saw Dylan trying to tiptoe out of the Command. In her most honeyed voice she said:

"Captain Hunt, will you meet me on Obs deck at 1900 hours? I believe we have something to discuss."

"Yes, Ma'am." When he left, hologram of Andromeda appeared and turned to Gillian:

"You must tell me what you find out. I have been in suspense about him and Elssbett Mossadim for almost a year now. Any longer and I will blow a fuse." At this moment Beka fell on the floor laughing.

"I feel sorry for poor Dylan. Outnumbered and outgunned.Gillian, please go easy on him, we may still need him alive."

"Rommie, is he still there listening?"

"No, Gillian, he went straight to his office."

"Good. Look, I have no intentions of giving him hard time; I just want him to think I do. I will never hold him responsible for things he did before we met. But, I have an idea. Beka, are you willing to play a part?"

* * *

Dylan was already on the Obs deck when Gillian came in. He thought if he goes full speed ahead he'll gain advantage of the situation, so before she said anything he practically yelled: "Ok, ok, so I slept with Elssbett Mossadim! Before she became Bolivar's wife!" Gillian said nothing so he continued: "And I only kissed Beka once or twice. Well, there was this time when I walked in on her in the shower . err out of the shower. ahm. well she was in the towel anyway." He started stammering and blushed, but Gillian was merciless. She looked at him with complete surprise in her face and said:

"Dylan, I of course appreciate the honesty, but I had no intentions to discuss your prior relationships. All I wanted to talk about was what I should wear to the Bolivar's affair. I have never been to a ball before, so I needed your expertise on the conduct at such events." She looked at him and at this time she allowed a smile to appear in her eyes. The realization of being had dawned on Dylan and he said quietly in almost purring voice:

"Very nicely done, Doctor Ratischer. Tell me, was it a private joke or the whole crew enjoyed the show?"

"Well, you didn't give me a chance to engage privacy mode."

"Not that it was your intention anyway, right?"

"Now you'll never know." She started to inch carefully but quickly towards the exit.

"Just wait 'till I get my hands on you!" Dylan saw that Gillian was attempting a hasty retreat and quickly cut off the way to the doors. His face was severe but his eyes were laughing.

"So, my Chief Medical Officer thinks she can play jokes on me? Well, now she will face the consequences. But I prefer to deal with wayward officers in private. Now, what should I do with you? Ah, I have an idea." With that he picked her up, slung her over his shoulder and took off almost running. He noticed on the way that Beka was standing in the hallway, saluting him, wrapped in a towel. Rommie looked amused, Harper was laughing so hard he was in tears and Tyr managed to keep his face composed but his entire body was shaking from concealed laughter. Dylan paused, put Gillian down for a moment and said in his best commanding voice:

"Today the joke is on me, but we'll see who gets the last laugh. I am sure there are plenty of ducts to be cleaned and floors to be washed with toothbrushes, so I suggest you make yourselves scarce before I begin giving out these assignments." The audience disappeared in a matter of seconds; Dylan picked Gillian up again and marched to his quarters. Entering he said: "Andromeda! Privacy mode, authorization Captain Dylan Hunt."

Once inside he put Gillian down, plopped on the couch and buried his face in his hands. She went over to him and sat down. Now she wasn't sure this whole thing was that funny.

"Look, I hope I didn't hurt your feelings, I . we certainly didn't mean to. It's just that you looked so nervous when Bolivar started listing your 'conquests', I couldn't resist. I guess my fondness of practical jokes is another thing you didn't know about me."

Dylan was silent and Gillian became edgy. He wouldn't say anything or look at her, so she put a tentative hand on his shoulder.

"Dylan? Are you alright? Look, I am sorry, ok? Really, really sorry."

Suddenly he turned, grabbed her hand and pinned her body to the couch. He then kissed her breathless and laughingly said:

"I was a king of practical jokes when I was a cadet. You, my dear, are still wet behind your ears when it comes to pranks. So, next time do yourself a favor and consult the specialist."

"Are pranks your only area of expertise, Captain?"

"Well, there are few other things I prize myself on."

"Do they include." And she whispered something in his ear.

"Why don't you be the judge of that!" And he picked her up again and carried her to the bedroom.

* * *

"Rommie! Rommie, where are you?" Beka was frustrated. Where was this usually omnipresent ship when she really needed her?

"What can I do for you, Captain Valentine?" Holo-Rommie blinked behind Beka's back, startling her and thoroughly enjoying it.

"I . I need something nice to wear to this Nietzschean thing we are all invited to."

"You mean that you are not going to give me and Dylan a headache trying to convince us that leather pants, boots and a gun belt are perfect attire for a formal dinner? What gives?"

"Can you keep a secret?"

"I keep more secrets than I actually care to, so."

"Ok, point taken. You see, Tyr asked me to be his escort at this event and I want to look nice."

"A-ha. I see."

Beka threw her hands in the air: "Forget it, sorry I asked. I guess I'll just won't go."

"Calm down, Beka, I was joking. Let's go find you a dress, shell we?" And Rommie pulled hesitant Beka with her.

Trance and Gillian joined them in the wardrobe room and girls had their fun trying on dresses. Afterwards Trance went to her garden in Hydroponics. Dylan wanted to present Elssbett with flowers and Trance was really excited to put her talents to work. She planned to make a growing arrangement so it could be later re-planted. She hated cut flowers.

She was humming happily and trying different combinations of plants and branches when suddenly one of the flowering bushes that were recently brought aboard Andromeda started to shimmer and change shape. Trance looked at it as the shrub became translucent and formed a cloud of sparkly dust that slowly took shape of a woman. Tall woman in shiny tight catsuit and veiled face. The purple girl stood there, speechless, looking at the apparition. The creature circled her and purred:

"Hello, pet. Forget me so soon?"

Trance was desperately trying to squeeze a sound out of her throat but was almost paralyzed with fear. She was patting her hand on the wall behind her looking for a comm button when her visitor said:

"Don't bother. I will sense anyone approaching and simply turn back to a tree. Now, pet, answer me. Why did you leave me? You didn't like my gardens?"

"I. I didn't like the games you were playing."

"These were not games, pet. I needed those people so I could live. You know what I need to sustain me. So, few had to die for me to continue. Big deal! Your brothers and sisters play with worlds and nations, are they any better them I am?"

"I don't play with worlds, I play with flowers. What do you want here Isis?"

"Ah, you remember my name. I don't use it any more; after fifteen thousand years it bores me. I call myself Chameleon. Rather fitting, don't you think? And it's not what do I want, it's whom do I want. I want the one they call Dylan. He got away from me last time. I don't like when men refuse me and I hate when they run away."

"So what do you need me for?"

"You know I can't perform my rituals here. I have to be on the ground; I need the power of soil with me when I take my due from men."

"You mean when you mate with them and suck their energy from them, don't you?"

"Crudely put, but yes. And there is where you come in. You all are going to the Jaguar home world tomorrow, is that correct?"

"Yes"

"Good. The Royal Palace is built on the grounds that have extensive caves underneath. The entrance to these caves is at the duck pond, under the Tea House. You will lead him there, and the rest is up to me. Remember, I want Dylan, but anyone will be fair game. And as an added incentive - if you fail to deliver, I'll kill the little Jaguar prince and make sure everyone will see a certain purple alien do it"

"Why don't I just throw you out the airlock, Isis?"

"First, I told you, I like to be called Chameleon, and second - go ahead and throw me out, I will simply come back. You can't kill me. You can't run away from me. You just have to obey me."

The creature began to shimmer and dissolve in the air, taking once again the shape of a tree. The transformation was almost complete when Trance heard:

"I hope you know what is going to be the centerpiece of your arrangement?"

Trance slumped down and cried. She had to do it. It was either Dylan or the child. And she knew that Isis would not stop until she gets what she wants. But there had to be a way out of this situation, right? There was a possibility of a perfect outcome, even if the chances were ten million six hundred and seventy two thousand five hundred and eighty seven to one. More or less.

Rommie plastered herself to the outside wall of Hydroponics. If she had a heart it would have been in her throat. She has heard the entire exchange and now she had to do something. She couldn't put her Captain, her crew or the innocent child in danger. She couldn't even tell anyone what she heard - there was no guarantee that this creature couldn't read minds. "I am a warship, I can do anything." She thought and left the deck

(PART 2)

Captain Hunt was sitting in his office going over the details of the upcoming visit to Jaguar Prime. For the umpteenth time he checked and re- checked the assignments, dress code, rules of conduct, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. His vision began to blur and when he heard the access chime he was actually happy to be interrupted. Without looking he said, "Come in!" and put down the flexi he was reading. He was surprised to see Tyr walking in and sitting down in the chair opposite of him. Dylan waited a few moments, but the Nietzschean remained silent. Finally Dylan broke the pause:

"Something on your mind?"

Tyr cleared his throat. Dylan thought that if he didn't know better he would believe that Anasazi was nervous.

"Captain Hunt, I have come to ask your advice."

'I didn't know better' crossed Dylan's mind, but out loud he said: "I don't know what an inferior being like me can help you with, but ask away!"

"It is rather delicate matter and I would appreciate you treating it seriously!" Tyr was becoming agitated and Hunt quickly retreated: "I am sorry, I did not mean to offend you in any way. What can I do for you?"

"I need your expertise on human women."

"Human women as the females of the species or you have a particular woman in mind?" Dylan had an idea where Tyr was going but he wanted to hear it from him.

"A particular woman."

"Does she have a name?"

"It is irrelevant."

"On the contrary, Tyr, it is very relevant. Unlike with Nietzscheans, there are no universal standards when it comes to winning attention of a human woman. The "Veni, vidi, vici" approach does not work."

"I came, I saw, I conquered. Caesar was smart, but I guess you are right, this tactic will not work with Captain Valentine."

"Ah, so it is Beka you want to talk about."

Tyr's facial muscles tensed for a moment and he nodded.

"Well, as difficult it is to build a successful relationship with any woman, Beka is a special case. She had a difficult life, she does not trust easily and she does not forgive and forget. She may appear flirtatious and "easy" but believe me, she is not. In many ways she is like you."

"So, how shell I proceed?"

"You need to understand how human relationships work, or rather how women want them to. For Nietzscheans it is all about DNA, lineage and progeny, correct?"

"Yes, the relationship starts when a female chooses her male and mates with him. She then bears him children."

"For humans children are not the prime objective, not at first anyway. When two people meet the male courts the female. If the courtship is successful and they both are interested in each other, they than step up to the next level - the physical relationship."

"You mean sex?"

"Yes, Tyr, I mean sex. But I am not talking about sex as in Harper's need to get laid." Tyr smirked and shook his head at this comment. "I am talking about sexual relationship that signifies certain degree of intimacy between two people. And continuing with it, if they are able to sustain this intimacy and become comfortable with each other in other aspects of their lives, they may consider marriage. Usually it is the male who proposes marriage to a female and if she accepts than they become a family. Only then husband and wife will consider having children some day. Now, understand that I have given you an ideal picture, there are of course variations and deviations, but that's the gist of it. So for you I would suggest - start working out together again. Cook her dinner."

Tyr interrupted, "Last time I cooked her dinner she ended up not talking to me for a month."

"When was that?"

"The same time you came from a supply trip bruised and battered and insisted that nothing happened to you."

Dylan let the last comment go and nodded: "Oh, that's why you too were all tense around each other."

"Can we get back to the courting thing?"

"Ok, ok. I would say - cook her dinner and make up for whatever happened last time. I would suggest you make it tonight, because tomorrow we are due on Jaguar Prime."

"About that, Dylan."

"Tyr, you are going. I need you there. You just have to be more careful than usual." Dylan tactfully avoided mentioning Tyr's medical condition. He also decided not to tell Tyr just yet that Gillian was hoping to confer with Jaguar medics on the planet hoping they may have the cure or more effective treatment.

Again Tyr tensed but nodded his agreement. Giving Dylan a half-smile he said, "Actually, what I was about to say was that I asked Rebecca to be my official escort to the ball. She has been avoiding me ever since."

"All the more reason for you to seek her out and talk. Good meal and good wine usually work miracles. Don't go anywhere, I'll be right back." Hunt went back to his living quarters and returned a minute later with a bottle. Smiling, he handed it to Tyr.

"Three-hundred-years-old Vedran Chardonnay will definitely impress her."

"It must be very valuable to you, Captain. Why are you giving it away?"

"My people are valuable to me. And why would you think it was the last bottle?"

Tyr looked at Dylan. "Thank you."

"You are welcome. And I expect updates."

Tyr didn't reply to the last remark but he left smiling.

* * *

Gillian walked in to the gym and saw Beka attempting to kill the punching bag. Gillian smiled. She knew very well what was going on, but she was not about to interfere. If Beka wanted her help she would ask.

"I think the bag is really, really sorry for whatever it did."

"Not. As. Sorry. As. I am." Each word Beka punctuated with a punch or a kick. The last one almost threw the bag off the hook.

"What are you talking about?" Now Gillian was confused.

"I am talking about this whole Anasazi business."

"Ok, back up and start form the beginning."

Beka stopped brutalizing the equipment and sat down to stretch. Gillian joined her and Beka started talking.

"It's like this. First, months ago, he sort of hits on me only to say that he'll never ever be interested in human woman. Than he is just being indifferent, until this whole thing on Pellius happened. And than, I don't know, he goes all soft on me, he wants to spend time with me, and next thing you know -- I am his 'official escort' to this damned ball. What gives?"

"What gives, Captain Valentine, is that Tyr has feelings for you. Actually he was attracted to you for a long time. His own rules and prejudices stopped him."

"So what, now that he is not that superior any more he thinks I'm good enough?"

"No, now he realized the finality of his life and he does not want to waist any more time. Beka, what he feels for you is as close to what we call "love" as he can possibly get. Just give him a chance. He'll put his foot in his mouth not once because Nietzscheans are different from us and he does not know how to behave with you."

"I don't know how to behave with him either."

"The question is -- are you interested in the "with him" part?"

Beka paused for a moment. "I've been thinking about it for a long time. I wasn't sure, but that night when this whole thing happened to Tyr and I sat in Medical with him we had a talk. Actually he talked and I listened. I hope you don't mind but he told me how you two met, how you helped him. And I saw a whole different side to him. I guess nobody but you had seen it before. So I would have to say yes, I am interested."

"Then just act like you would with a man you are interested in. Just remember that he would be much more sensitive and fragile then human man. "

"Tyr Anasazi? Fragile?"

"Remember that Nietzscheans don't have relationships like we do. All he knows about is choosing and be chosen by a female, mating and having children. I imagine he would be very insecure in a real relationship. He knows you are not interested in his lineage or the quality of his DNA, but he has no idea what makes you tick. Be patient, be careful and caring but not wimpy and clingy and I am sure it will work. And by the way, the dress Rommie suggested for you to wear tomorrow will make any male drool!"

"Hey, wait and see what Dylan has to say about your choice! Although I doubt he will be able to speak for a while!"

Beka and Gillian laughed and headed for the showers. Beka stopped by her locker and exclaimed: "What's this?"

Gillian came over and saw a small envelope that had "READ ME" inscribed in almost calligraphic letters. Gillian laughed: "Ok, Beka in Wonderland, read it!"

"Wasn't it Alice who got to wonderland?"

"Nitpicker! Just read the note!"

Beka opened the envelope and the note inside read: "Go to your quarters."

Valentine looked puzzled. "Any ideas what is it about?" Gillian had a very good idea what it was about and she knew Tyr's handwriting, but she didn't want to spoil the surprise.

"Nope. You just have to do what the note says and find out in due time. Well, I'm off, I have to relieve Trance in Medical."

"Oh-kay, I will see you later." Beka went on to her quarters, shaking her head. When she got there she saw another note sticking out of the bouquet if fresh flowers. The note read: "Be on Obs deck at 1900 hours". 'But my shift starts at 1900 hors' Beka thought when her comm link beeped.

"Yes, what is it? "

"Boss, do you mind switching with me for the morning shift? I got something to take care of tomorrow, so I'll cover for you tonight." Harper sounded genuine so she decided that no fowl play was involved and agreed, but not before checking with Dylan first. When she went to her closet to get dressed, one of her favorite outfits, a strappy black top and black silk pants was brought up front and yet another envelope pinned to it. The envelope held a small vial of perfume and another note that read: "Please wear me tonight." Beka wanted to be angry but couldn't. She realized by now who was the invisible visitor leaving her notes. What she didn't know how did he find out that "Alice in Wonderland" was her favorite book when she was a child and even now.

When Beka walked in to the Obs deck it looked exactly the same as it did the night Tyr asked her to dinner the first time. Only this time she was nervous. She hated herself for it, but couldn't help it. Tyr walked towards her and took her hand. He led her to the table, pulled out her chair and opened elaborately folded napkin and placed it on her lap. He than took a seat opposite of her and opened a bottle of wine and poured. Beka opened her mouth but he raised his hand preventing her from speaking:

"Rebecca, before you say anything -may I tell you something?'

"Of course."

"I wanted to thank you for coming here tonight. It means a lot to me that you are willing to give us a chance." Beka was actually touched. She saw and felt the tension in him and she understood what Gillian meant when she spoke of his sensitivity.

"I have to be honest with you, Tyr. I have forgiven you for what you said, but I am not an easy person to have a relationship with. I don't know how is it going to work out but I am willing to try. And the fact that you are a Nietzschean and I am human is going to complicate things even more."

Tyr looked at her and said: "I never had to stop and think about my life, I felt I knew everything I needed to know, I knew what to do at all times - establish myself within the pride, mate, have strong children and become an Alpha. After the destruction of Kodiak everything still was clear-cut - avenge the deaths of my people, find new pride, establish myself, etc. But I ended up here, on Andromeda and for the first time I began to understand that there other things in life then what I had planned, or rather what was programmed in to me by centuries of genetical engineering. And now, my first real taste of humanity, however bitter it is, allowed me to understand how many things I took for granted. I want to learn to live and enjoy living instead of simply surviving. Your "aliveness" was what attracted me to you in the first place. You are a survivor but you live and enjoy life. Can you help me, Rebecca? Can you teach me to live and love?"

Beka was sunned. She had always known that there was much more to Tyr than his tough exterior and menacing looks, but the depth of his feelings shocked her. She was at loss at what to say so she took a sip of the wine.

"Isn't it Dylan's sacred Vedran Chardonnay?" She asked him, still trying to absorb what he just said. He understood and went along with her:

"This wine was a present from Captain Hunt, however I didn't know it was sacred."

"He only opened it once before when we signed up the first or the second world. Right before your stunt with Orca."

"You have a good memory, Rebecca."

"It's a survival tool, don't you know that? Anyway, why do you cal me Rebecca? I used to hear it only when I got in trouble, it sounds strange."

"It sounds musical to me. I will stop if it is unpleasant to you."

"No, don't. I kind of like it. It's different form what everyone else calls me."

"That is what I want - to be different from everyone around you. One thing you should know about Nietzscheans is that we are very loyal to those we choose to be. I want to be your friend or possibly more, but whoever I am to you, you will always have my loyalty, my care, and my protection. I will never abandon you, Rebecca, remember that."

Beka was feeling overwhelmed by the emotional charge of the evening. She didn't know how to reply, so she simply said "Thank you, Tyr," and touched his hand.

They proceeded with dinner and quiet conversation. Beka found out a lot about Tyr and she herself opened a little bit to him. They did have a lot in common and soon they were joking and laughing and enjoying each other's company. When Beka finished her dessert and looked at the time she realized she only had a couple of hours before her shift so she stood up:

"I better go, I have to be in the Command at 0700 hours."

"I'll walk you to your quarters."

"Don't worry, it's not like I could be jumped by bandits here."

"And still, I'll walk you home."

They left the Obs deck and after a short walk ended up at Beka's door. Impulsively she put her arms around Tyr's neck and kissed him. When they pulled apart, he took her face in his hands and said:

"Rebecca, we shouldn't be doing this now. I may loose control, my desire for you is great."

"So, we are both adults. Are you afraid I am pushing you into something you are not sure about?"

"Rebecca, I was never more sure about anything in my life. However right now I am not as I should be, and I don't want you to think that you are my cancellation prize, that I want you because I can't have Nietzschean female any more. I want to come to you when I am whole again and show you that I am worthy of you."

Beka ran her hands over his face, through his braids and rested them on his broad shoulders. Her blue eyes were oceans of emotions. This was the last thing she expected to hear from any man, especially Tyr.

"Anasazi, if you set out to have me surprised you have succeeded. Nobody has ever said anything like that to me. Thank you." She kissed his lips lightly, "Good night."

Tyr took her hand and placed a gentle kiss on its palm. He held it to his face for a moment and than released it. "Good night, Rebecca."

* * *

Trance was pacing her room. There has to be something she could do. She had to find the way without telling others. She pounded herself on the forehead with her fist, 'Think, think, think!'

Holo-Rommie appeared in her room. "Trance, we need to talk. Don't ask any questions, meet me in engineering in five minutes."

When Trance walked into engineering. Rommie waited for her there and handed her the VR goggles. "Put these on and join me in my mainframe, we need a safe place to talk." Trance complied and in the matter of seconds she found herself in Rommie's inner sanctum. The AI looked at her with concern.

"Trance, I know what is going on. What can we do to stop the Chameleon?"

"We can't stop her. She is from the species I know very little about. All I can tell you is that she feeds on the energy of her victims. She uses any method available to coerce the man to become intimate with her and then she just sucks the life out of him. She is bent on getting Dylan because he was the first one in a very long time who was able to refuse her. Her tactic is always the same -- convincing, seduction or torture into submission. To survive, Dylan will have to go through the same circles of Hell he's already gone on Pellius. He has to continue to refuse her. Once he succumbs - he is dead. I don't now if and how we can help him."

"Well, we sure as hell are going to try. We can't tell anyone until the last minute, can we?"

"No, Rommie, we can't." Trance looked crestfallen. Rommie took her by the shoulders:

"Well then, we just have to be extra careful. You'll do everything she told you to do and I will make sure that Dylan and the crew are protected. We are to stay on the Jaguar Prime for at least three days for the duration of the festivities, and Bolivar indicated that there maybe few governments interested in talking to Dylan afterwards, so we'll have time to prepare. Your goal is to stretch the time as much as possible; we have other people and our hosts to think about, this creature is planning to set up camp right under the palace gardens.

Trance, we've been in worse situations then this one. Right now it is up to us to fix it. I will indicate to Gillian that she should stay as close to Dylan as possible. She knows that there may be an attack on him; he has as many enemies as he does friends, and she knows he will never agree to have a security detail attached even if Bolivar offers one. I'm sure she wouldn't mind looking out for our Captain."

Trance couldn't help but smile at the last comment, "They sure are good for each other. I haven't seen Dylan so happy in a long time. Ok, let's get to work!" She exited the VR and left the engineering, heading for the Hydroponics.

* * *

CONTINUES