Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Characters:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 7 of Owning Vampires
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
3,640
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
10
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,686

Owning 7: Lost Two Vampires Owner Misses Them Terribly

Summary:

Fandom: BtVS AU
Characters: Giles, Oz, Wesley, Spike, Angel, others
Genre: slash
Warning/Rating: PG for this chapter NC17 overall. Contains some squickiness and character death.
Summary: Next part of my Owning Vampires series. Rupert is doing everything he can to get his vampires back.
Submitted through Spike_Slash

Work Text:

Owing 7: Lost Two Vampires, Owner Misses Them Terribly
by Lilithangel
abchainey@xtra.co.nz
http://www.livejournal.com/users/lilithbint

Rupert paced the floor in frustration. A week and he had only been allowed to see his vampires through the bars of a cage at the pound. They had been fully restrained, gagged and blindfolded so he didn’t even know if they knew he had been there.

He hated the fact that they were trapped in such a manner. Even if he hadn’t discovered their secret he would have hated it, but knowing that their brains would be working overtime made it all the worse. He knew that the slayers would not mistreat the vampires but the always active Spike would be going crazy not being able to move except for approved exercise time, and they wouldn’t understand how stubborn Angel could be forcing them to punish him.

They might even believe he had abandoned them and that they would be sold or put down. He had finally been granted another visit and was waiting impatiently for four o’clock to come around so Oz would pick him up and take him there.

Everything was in front of the courts now. It had been Lindsey who laid the complaint using Wolfram & Hart to have the original ruling overturned and it put back before the judiciary with the full backing of the Initiative.

Things hadn’t been helped by the report from the lead slayer of the recovery team which had Rupert facing negligence charges possibly risking public safety by not having his vampires secured.

On the plus side it seemed that the Council objected to the alliance between Wolfram & Hart and the Initiative more than they objected to his behaviour so were throwing the full weight of their legal division behind him.

It hadn’t got his vampires back though, and it had taken the combined efforts of both Wesley and Oz to stop him from storming over to Lindsey’s and beating a retraction out of the lawyer.

Wesley and Oz had been his sanity over the last week. As soon as the slayers had left with his vampires Rupert had packed up the cabin and headed back to the city calling Wesley as soon as he got cell phone signal.

They had both been waiting when he arrived home. Wes had confirmed the complaint and already contacted the Council. Oz had found out which pound the vampires had been sent to and requested visitation rights for Rupert. Wes had insisted that Rupert have his injuries checked and concussion ruled out and Rupert was happy at that point to let Wesley fuss and take his mind off what had happened.

Jenny and Tara had come around as soon as they heard the news, making sure Rupert ate and tried to get some sleep. He knew that if it wasn’t for his friends he would never have coped with what was happening and he only hoped that when they had good news he would be able to thank them properly.

Jenny had tried to speak with Lindsey but the lawyer had refused to let her inside claiming he wasn’t feeling well. Rupert had been tempted to go over there and give him something to feel sick about but once again Wesley and Oz convinced him it would only make things worse.

A vampire owners’ group and contacted him two days earlier to offer support citing other examples of the slayers and the Initiative taking vampires away from owners who would never see them again. To the group it was bureaucracy gone crazy and another example of over the top government control of the public. Rupert thought they were nutters but he was willing to accept any support if it got his vampires back.

Another group of vampire rights activists had picked up his cause as well and were picketing the Initiative offices. They saw Rupert’s actions as progressive vampire care and used them to highlight what they saw as barbaric and inhumane practices by owners and trainers of vampires.

Both groups gave Rupert hysterical amusement as he doubted either would embrace his knowledge of the sentiency of his vampires or approved of him talking to them even if they believed him. However nothing mattered to Rupert except getting his vampires back.

Council staff had interviewed him at length and he had resisted telling them what had actually happened. Wesley had come up with a story to explain everything and Rupert had just kept to that.

The van had gone off the road but Rupert had managed to get to the cabin despite a bang to the head. He had left his vampires unrestrained while he recovered so that he didn’t have to worry about their condition. He had reasoned that they were far enough away from civilisation to take the risk since the chip would still control their behaviour.

His vampires were well cared for and showed no signs of neglect or injury. They had gone quietly with the slayers and made no attempt to fight back. Lindsey had no proof of his claims and Rupert had the whole hearted support of the other guests there that night.

The two sticking points were the risk to public safety charge laid by the lead slayer for the vampires being unrestrained and the renewed interest in both vampires by the Initiative. That was the one that terrified Rupert. The charge could be argued down to a fine but if the Initiative wanted his vampires back he wasn’t sure what he was going to be able to stop them.

So far the Council lawyers had kept his vampires at the pound, not allowing the Initiative to move them to a more secure facility. The Council had put him on stress leave with full pay which meant he had the time to focus on the battle but also meant that he had too much time to worry as well.

Oz was going to pick him up and take him to see his vampires, this time they had negotiated full visitation and Rupert was nervous that he wouldn’t be able to explain to them why he couldn’t take them home. He might know that they were sentient now but they were still his vampires and he felt like a very bad owner.

Sirens broke through his worry and he looked out the window in time to see two police cars, an ambulance and a slayer van scream down the street. To his surprise they stopped outside Lindsey house.

Rupert quickly joined the other curious neighbours and was shocked when a covered gurney was removed from the house. Police and slayers were milling around in confusion outside the house until a grim faced slayer exited and nodded to the other slayers who all silently returned to their van and left.

Rupert ducked through the crowd and approached an officer on crowd control.

"What happened?" he asked the bored looking man in his most official sounding Council voice.

"The owner of the property had not reported for work in several days, his body was found by a colleague who came to check on him. We are not looking for anyone in relation to the death at this time," The police officer answered replied in a tone that suggested he had told the story several times already.

Shaken Rupert returned to his house just as Oz arrived. He filled the other man in on what he had heard and Oz rang Wesley to see if they could get confirmation of what really happened to need slayer attention. Wesley promised to find out what he could before they returned from the pound.

"Do you think it will have an impact on your case?" Oz asked Rupert.

"I don’t know," Rupert said, "without the main complainant the case will be on shaky ground but there is still the slayer report to deal with."

The trip to the pound was completed in silence. Oz was not a big talker and Rupert was too nervous to say anything.

When they arrived the pound supervisor came out to meet them. "Mr Giles, my name is Charles Gunn I just needed to speak with you briefly about your visit to the vampires Spike and Angel."

"There’s nothing wrong is there?" Rupert said, "I can still visit with them?"

"Yes you can but I have to let you know that there will be a court appointed observer with you at all times. The court requires an assessment of your behaviour and the responses of the vampires to you." Charles Gunn explained.

"Is that really necessary Mr Gunn?" Rupert said.

"Yes it is Mr Giles, if you really want your vampires returned to you. The observer is waiting in my office for you, please wait here while I get them."

Rupert watched as the supervisor disappeared into his office and quickly returned with a slender young man holding onto a clipboard.

"Mr Giles this is Andrew Well a psychologist specialising in vampire/human interactions from U.C.L.A." Charles made the introductions.

Andrew fumbled with his clipboard and then stuck his hand out to Rupert, "how do you do Mr Giles, I am very excited by this opportunity to observe your interactions with your vampires. I understand they are from a very old line and I have always been fascinated by the differences in vampire lineage."

"Quite." Rupert tried to extricate his hand from the enthusiastic pumping.

"I’ll wait out here for you," Oz said to Rupert, "pounds make me uncomfortable." He sat down and picked up an old copy of ‘Vampire Owners’ monthly.

Charles led them down a corridor and into the vampire enclosures. Dozens of cages contained restrained vampires. Many were in full demon face and growled at the humans walking by. Others were curled up against the bars looking hopefully out as they passed.

"So many people buy vampires without thinking about the responsibility," Charles said as they walked, "we end up with so many abandoned vampires. They are often left by the side of the road for sunrise to dust them. We try to rehouse as many as possible but some are too far gone."

Finally they reached the enclosures where Spike and Angel were waiting. Their blindfolds had been removed this time and longer chains attached to their collars so they could reach the bars. A slayer stood watching holding onto a level that would winch in the chains if the vampires were deemed to be dangerous and she held a stake in her other hand.

"What sort of behaviour are you expecting to see Mr Wells?" Rupert asked as he stared at his vampires checking them for injuries and hoping they would understand what was going on.

"It depends really on what sort of relationship you have built up with them. If you have followed the instruction manual and established your dominance over them in such a way that they willingly respond to you and obey your commands. If you were too overzealous then they will exhibit stress related behaviours the bottom of the pack animals tend to show. If you were neglectful in any way they will demonstrate dominance behaviours suggesting they are in conflict with you and each other for control of their pack." Andrew explained with enthusiasm.

"Here," Rupert said to his vampires pointing to the front of the cage. Both vampires came forward and knelt in front of him as gracefully as they could with their hands bound to their waist chains. Andrew betrayed his nerves by stepped backwards slightly when they moved.

Rupert knelt down and checked them as best he could through the bars keeping eye contact with them.

"They are untouched Mr Giles," Charles said in an offended tone of voice.

"This is no criticism of your facility Mr Gunn," Rupert said, "but I just have to check for myself."

"Good, good," Andrew made a note on his clipboard, "you are behaving as the alpha male checking the pack and they are responding."

Rupert checked the restraints frowning slightly at how tight they were on Angel.

"The larger vampire is very resistant to control," Charles said.

"He just needs a firm hand," Rupert said reaching through the bars and ruffling Angel’s hair. He exchanged a quick smirk with Spike at Angel’s look of annoyance but schooled his expression to one of neutral concern before the other two noticed.

Spike wined around his gag and Rupert petted the blond as well frowning slightly at the condition of their hair. Obviously the pound’s budget did not stretch to good quality shampoo. At least they both looked well fed and had no obvious injuries.

"Mr Giles, if you would be so kind as to put them through the basic commands for me," Andrew said.

Rupert sighed but stood and ran through the commands he had memorised so very carefully when he had first been waiting for his vampires to arrive. They obeyed as best they could, considering the restraints and Rupert smiled with relief. He knelt down again to be eye level with them, "we’re working on it," he said, "I will get you home soon." There was a flash of something akin to begging in Spike’s eyes and Rupert knew that even if there hadn’t been any physical trauma there was emotional strain on them being back in a place like the pound.

Rupert stood again and turned to Andrew, "was there anything else you needed to observe?"

"No that’s enough I think. I will write up my report for the court and send one to your lawyer as well. I do have a few questions if you don’t mind?" Andrew said hopefully.

"Very well," Rupert said. He reached through and petted both vampires again, "I will be back," he promised.

Andrew peppered him with questions as they returned to the main foyer, wanting to know exactly what training methods he had used and what his observations were of vampire behaviour. Rupert followed company line and aside from stressing their level of intelligence he allowed the behaviourist to believe the training manual had been his primary source. Rupert longed to tell the young man that the manual was all a lot of rubbish when dealing with vampires as old as his were, but that would mean revealing information to someone who could have them back under Initiative control with a stray word.

Oz was on the phone when they returned and he hung up quickly. Rupert thanked the supervisor Charles Gunn and nodded politely to Andrew before heading out quickly with Oz.

"Wesley is waiting for us at his apartment," Oz said quietly, "he has more information. Were they alright?"

"Physically they appeared to be but they are tightly restrained and watched at all times. It is playing havoc with their minds I can tell. Angel is beginning to resist the restraints and I dread to think what will happen if we don’t get them out soon," Rupert said worriedly.

"We’ll get them out," Oz said confidently.

As before the rest of the journey was done in silence and Rupert was grateful that Oz didn’t feel the need for inane conversation.

Wesley was waiting with three glasses of scotch when they arrived. From appearances it hadn’t been his first. He wasn’t drunk but there was a certain glassiness to his eyes that suggested several large shots had been consumed.

"I know it’s early but you will need it," Wesley said as he handed the glasses out.

"So what did you find out?" Rupert said as they sat down.

Wesley took a quick mouthful of scotch, "it appears that Lindsey had been feeling unwell for several days. Approximately 72 hours ago he had a major heart attack and died in mid congress with his pet vampire. By the time a work colleague went to check up on him his vampire had fed off his body. The colleague thought that the vampire had drained him and she panicked calling the police and the slayers. They found the vampire crouched over the body savaging the genitalia off." Wesley took another swallow of scotch and the other two followed him.

"The vampire was chained to the floor and appeared to have shredded its own neck to get close enough to do what it did," Wesley continued.

"Ouch," Oz said for them all.

"The slayer in attendance?" Rupert asked.

"Terminated the vampire," Wesley confirmed, "deeming it too far gone to rehabilitate. Dusting really was the most humane thing to do. However her testimony plus photos from the scene put Lindsey’s complaint under a cloud. It appears the young vampire suffered long term abuse under Lindsey’s care and they found a number of photographs of your vampires in his house that can be argued suggest an unhealthy obsession with your vampires prior to the complaint being laid."

"Photos of my vampires?" Rupert was shocked.

"And of you with them according to the defence lawyer. He’s pretty sure it is enough to have the original complaint withdrawn and with only the neglect charge left there should only be a small fine and a warning."

Rupert sagged with relief as Wesley’s words sunk in. "When will we know?"

"The lawyers are pushing for a decision now while the situation with Lindsey is still fresh. Assuming the Initiative doesn’t cause any bother you should have your vampires home by the end of the week."

"Wesley I don’t know how I can thank you," Rupert said.

"You are my friend Rupert you don’t have to thank me. Besides you have already given me something I never dreamed of having." Wesley blushed and looked at Oz.

Rupert saw the look and smiled, "I am glad, for both of you," he said.

They finished their drinks and Rupert headed home to give his friends some time alone. He was pleased for them but it did make his own home seem very empty knowing his vampires were still locked up. He had wanted to move their beds inside but was worried that any visitations from official would see that as another mark against his ownership.

Now that he knew they were coming home his mind spun out of control worrying about the implications with their return. He didn’t know if he could continue to be their master knowing what he knew about them. He couldn’t return them or free them. The behaviour chip put them at the mercy of any human they looked at wrong. His libido might like the idea of two vampire pets no matter how intelligent they might be but his conscience questioned how ‘human’ that made him.

There was nowhere he could take them and live a normal life the risk of exposure was too great. Either the Initiative would find them or their unconventional relationship would cause too much comment.

He didn’t want to lose his vampires but could he in all good conscience keep them knowing what he knew? Rupert stopped his line of thought and wondered just how much he did know. Were his vampires special or was it just a product of their age?

Grateful for the distraction Rupert immersed himself in research, determined to find out everything on record about Angel and Spike.

* * * * *

Rupert had never been so angry in his life. He stormed into the house and dropped the box of his belongings onto the ground. They had fired him. Some official nonsense about his behaviour not being appropriate for a member of the Council of Watchers and maybe it would be best if he found a new career.

He knew it was because of his investigations more than the embarrassment of the Lindsey incident. He had expected some sort of reaction when he accessed sealed records but not this, and he was very grateful that Oz had fixed him up with a back door to the newly computerised archives.

He was so close to discovering the secret of the Aurelius vampires. Something that both the Council and the Initiative had wanted to keep well out of the public eye.

He had found the original records of the capture of both Spike and Angel and a few notes of a meeting with the Initiative that detailed the experiments they had done on the captured vampires prior to the chip being installed. There had been tantalising hints as to the special nature of both vampires but only in the negative response of both groups to the idea.

In the end it appeared that the Initiative had decided that both vampires were suitably trained and would be of no further threat. Rupert had to laugh at their arrogance in the face of his own experiences with both vampires.

He only hoped that when he got his vampires home they would forgive him and trust him enough to tell him what made them so different to other vampires.

Rupert let a small tendril of hope fill his heart that things would work out. He would find work somewhere, hell he’d even work as a librarian at some high school if it came to that. He had enough money put aside to survive while he looked at least. He had good friends on his side and his vampires were going to be returned to him.

Who cared that the Council took the cowards way out and made him the scapegoat, he didn’t need them.

Rupert poured himself a drink to celebrate the next phase in his life. Only one drink and then it would be time to fetch his vampires. The phone ringing interrupted his enjoyment.

"Mr Gunn, is there a problem?" Rupert asked with surprise. The reply caused him to drop his drink and the phone as he stared at the receiver in shock and horror.

The Initiative had reclaimed his vampires.

TBC…

Series this work belongs to: