Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 6 of The Dragon Chronicles
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2007-03-16
Words:
21,020
Chapters:
13/13
Comments:
43
Kudos:
67
Bookmarks:
8
Hits:
29,819

The Dragon 6

Summary:

Gil, Nick and Greg go to a forensics convention and we learn more about Greg and he finds his mate. I don't own anything CSI related and am only playing. Jim Brass/Warrick Brown

Chapter 1: Conventions

Chapter Text

Gil groaned and pulled out five index cards. There was a forensics convention in Seattle Washington that everyone on the night shift wanted to attend and there were only two places other than his own. He'd decided to handle it democratically and let his team draw two names for who would be attending with him. Deep down Gil hoped that his mate, Nick, would be one of the people picked. He'd be able to be separated from Nick for four days but it wouldn't be easy for either of them. They'd been bonded for almost eight months but the need between them was as powerful as it was the day they'd been bonded.

He still wasn't sure why he didn't just pick the people to go along with him, but Catherine had that look in her eye that said she'd argue with him no matter what happened, so Gil had decided to let her be the one to pick the two cards. He wrote a name on each card, shuffled them and made his way to the break room with a small sigh. Gil was looking forward to this particular convention, even if it was in Seattle in the middle of winter. He didn't want a fight over the other two slots.

"All right, where's Catherine?" Gil asked, looking around.

"She's still in the locker room," Nick replied, handing Gil a cup of coffee. "We're still going to draw for it, huh?"

"Yes, Nick," Gil said. He sat down at the table. "Well, while we're waiting, Sara you have a dead body on the strip. Take Warrick with you. Nick, you and Greg have a home invasion."

"What about me?" Catherine asked, walking in.

"You get to draw," Gil said, fanning out the index cards. "I'll reassign based on who you pick to go to Seattle with me. I still think its childish behavior but I don't want any arguments, is that clear?"

His team looked at him. No one could understand why he'd been so irritable of late, no one but Nick. Gil was a dragon and his existence had been revealed and one of his people had been placed in danger because of it. The man responsible had been found not guilty and was back at the lab. Gil was just frustrated because he had to work with a man who had stabbed him in the back and no one seemed to want to do anything about it. He maintained it was only a matter of time until Hodges screwed up on a case because of how nervous he was about working around Gil and the other dragon in the lab, Jim Brass. But until that actually happened no one seemed to want to listen to Gil's fears.

"Greg?" Catherine's shriek brought him back to the present. "What the hell is he doing in here? He's a CSI wanna be!"

Gil looked at the young man who was only one case away from being a CSI 1 and saw how hurt he was. Nick picked up on Gil's concern and moved over to his friend. "Nick, you and Greg go pack, we're leaving in a couple of hours," Gil said. He turned to Catherine. "That was uncalled for, Catherine. You know how hard Greg's been working these past few months."

"He's not a CSI, Gil," Catherine said firmly. "He shouldn't have even been in here."

"Considering there are also DNA seminars at this convention, Greg has every right to be included," Gil replied. "And you need to apologize to him."

"What?"

"You heard me, Catherine," he said. "You're the one who always lectures me on being clueless when dealing with my people. I'm not going to do the same to you. I'll be in my office finishing some paperwork."

Gil wasn't too surprised to find Greg and Nick waiting in his office. He shut the door behind him, kissed Nick gently and went to his desk. "I don't want to hear excuses, Greg," Gil said firmly. "You have every right to be included in this and I'm glad your name was drawn."

"Yeah, because you and Nick won't have to hide," Greg said, trying to smile. He was one of the few who knew of their relationship.

"That's one reason," Gil agreed. "But I expect to see you working hard, no wild parties."

"Yes sir," Greg agreed. "Seattle's not really a party town anyway but I can do some shopping at a couple of really cool bookstores."

Nick laughed. "Come on, let's go get ready. This should be a lot of fun."

"I'm going to talk with Jim and Hodges," Gil said. "I'm still not happy he was cleared in your kidnapping, Greg, and I want him to know that just because I'm gone doesn't mean he's not going to be watched."

"I still think we should chalk that one up to I can't keep my stupid mouth shut and be done with it," Greg said, shrugging. "It's not like I was hurt or anything."

Gil looked up, his blue eyes serious. "A lot of good men lost their lives that night, Greg, because we couldn't tell them what they were up against. No one blames you but I want to make sure it doesn't happen again."

"Sure, Daddy," Greg said, ducking out of the office with a laugh.

"Your eyes are glowing," Nick cautioned. "Reign it back in."

Gil took a deep breath, closed his eyes for a moment and focused on getting the dragon to drop back and hide again. "I hope Jim blends soon," he sighed. "I want my self control back."

"It's been six months," Nick said. "Maybe you should ask Al to take them out before work one night and see if Jim's really ready. They've both been soaking up the lessons like sponges and I think he's learned everything he can for this part of his training."

"I'll do it before we leave," Gil sighed. Just one more thing to do before they left.
********************

His meeting with Doctor Al Robbins went smoothly and Al promised to keep an eye on everything and call if there was a problem. Both men knew that Jim needed to complete his blending, bringing the human and dragon mind into sync, as soon as possible and Al suggest it might be a good idea for Jim to try it without his alpha leader hanging around. Gil had snorted but agreed.

The meeting with Hodges didn't go nearly as well. The trace analyst was jumpy as hell; all he knew about the dragon world was the evil and darkness that was published in books. He was convinced that Gil was going to drag him out into the desert and eat him. Being called a freak wasn't high on Gil's favorite pastimes but it allowed him to order Hodges to see the department shrink.

"I'm kind of glad we're getting a vacation," Nick commented as they boarded their flight at 0400. "I know we still have to work and all that, but the tension at the lab has been so bad of late maybe this will give it a chance to settle down."

"If we could just get rid of Hodges," Gil sighed, sinking into his seat, book in hand. "His performance is falling off, I may see about switching him to days and, if that doesn't work, I may have to have him reviewed and recommend termination."

"It's not your fault, Greg," Nick said, catching the look on the young man's face.

Greg slumped into his seat, folding his knees up against the seat in front of him. "If I had just kept my mouth shut."

"And you have ever since you suspected Hodges was doing something wrong," Gil said firmly. "I just wish you'd had a chance to tell us of your fears before they kidnapped you. I blame myself for that every day."

"That wasn't your fault," Greg said.

"Just like it's not your fault that Hodges is a flake who doesn't know what's good for him," Nick said. "You two make a fine pair." He put on his headphones and settled back. "If the whole flight is going to be like this, I'm going to sleep."

*But you can still hear me* Gil thought, opening his book.

Nick glared at him. "That's just not fair," he said, trying not to laugh. He couldn't deny it was going to be an interesting weekend.
********************

The first thing they noticed about the city when they stepped off the plane into the jet way was the cold. It was damp, biting and seemed to go right to their bones. "I thought Seattle wasn't supposed to get this cold," Greg gasped, pulling his now inadequate jacket around him.

"It's being an odd winter," an older man commented. "You'll need a heavier jacket, young man, unless you want frostbite."

"You're right about that," Greg said, shivering.

Nick took pity on his young friend. He set his backpack on a seat and pulled out one of his sweatshirts. "Here, Greggo," he said, tossing it to the shivering young man. "We just need to put some meat on those bones."

"Thanks, Nick." Greg slipped out of his jacket and quickly pulled on the large sweatshirt and then his jacket again. "How about we just get our bags and get to the hotel? I know there'll be a hot bath and I want a nap."

Gil shook his head at his friend's antics. Ever since Greg was kidnapped he'd been spending more time with the young man and had realized that he did, indeed, see the young DNA analyst as a son. He'd made the mistake of telling Greg that and the jokester in the young man had run with it, hence the daddy jokes and comments. Most of the time Gil didn't mind, much; he was the alpha dragon of the Vegas community and felt that Greg would have a place there soon. And now that they were in Seattle the feeling was growing. It wouldn't be long until they found out Greg's path.
********************

Nick and Gil's room opened onto each other, something that they had requested specifically and Greg's was across the hall. The younger man just smirked and said he'd asked for that so he wouldn't have to listen to Nick and Gil at night. That earned him a smack on the back of the head from Nick and a glare from Gil. He laughed and locked his door before they could do any more.

"Do you ever think that letting him in on the secret was a bad idea?" Nick asked, wrapping his arms around his dragon.

"If I remember correctly, Nick, it was your idea," Gil replied. He walked to the bed, hands firmly over Nick's so the younger man had no choice but to follow him. "We have the first social get together at noon for lunch; we should probably catch a nap."

Nick pushed Gil onto the bed and stood for a moment, enjoying the sight in front of him. "Or we could have some fun. I know it's been at least ten hours and you've got to be feeling your limits."

Gil's eyes glowed as he shifted up towards the pillows, eying his mate. "Do you plan to do something about it or are you just going to leave me here alone?"

The younger man pulled off his sweater and shirt, shivering at the chill in the air. "Damn, Greg wasn't kidding." He jumped onto the bed and burrowed under the covers. "I'm not built for weather like this."

"It's not that bad," Gil commented, wiggling out of his pants.

"Says the man who worked in Minnesota," Nick replied. "Admit it, Gil; you're as spoiled by Vegas as I am."

"Maybe," Gil smirked. He got under the covers and pulled Nick to him. "Want me to warm you up?"

"However you want."

The dragon's smirk widened as he vanished under the covers. Nick was confused for a moment until he felt fingers working his zipper and his pants being pulled down. "Oh gods, Gil!" he moaned as his erection was sucked into a warm, wet mouth. Nick's head fell back and his hands tangled in Gil's dark curls. He tried not to thrust, he didn't want to hurt Gil and moaned as his dragon moved, kissing back up his body.

"I really can't breathe under there," Gil said, claiming Nick's mouth in a kiss. He rolled them so he was on top and settled between Nick's legs. "Do you want me like this?"

"Please," Nick whispered, his hands grabbing at Gil's hips. He shifted around until he could feel Gil's hard cock pressing against him and lifted his hips until his dragon slid home, Nick's body stretching magically to let his mate complete him. "Feels so good."

"I love you, Nicky," Gil whispered as he started to thrust. "Love you so much."

"Love you too," Nick replied, glad that Gil seemed to be settling down to his normal, calm self now that he was away from Jim. Nick was happy that their community was expanding but was a little tired of Gil's irritability.

Gil nibbled at Nick's left ear. "You're thinking too hard," he whispered. "Just feel for a while."