Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
296
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
18
Hits:
1,229

Rain

Summary:

As a writing exercise, I challenged myself to take an element of the weather and create a drabble-sized ficlet that evoked a certain mood. Hopefully I succeeded, with Superman and Batman helping! :)

Work Text:

 

Disclaimer: I don't own 'em, DC does, but I play with 'em.

Feedback: Yes, please.

Rain.

It fell in a steady, drenching torrent, spattering off crumbling, concrete sidewalks and potholed roads. It dripped off the eaves of buildings, droplets glittering on lampposts and street signs. It ran down in rivulets on tightly-shut windowpanes and thrummed with a steady beat on rooftops.

The rain of the city poured into the countryside, bending the branches of trees and sending leaves to the ground as a wind whipped up from the canyons of steel and glass and brick, howling through the copses. It sank into the mossy ground, turning dirt into mud as the skies sluiced down to refresh the earth.

Boots crunched on decaying leaves, the lone figure walking through the dense woods with the gait of a man not aware of his surroundings, his mind fogged by turmoil as he pushed forward. Face wet and costume soaked through to the skin, he lowered his head.

A figure swooped down through from the sky, cape billowing out behind him, boots alighting on the wet ground. He called out a name and reached out a hand to grab the wanderer’s arm.

He turned him around, shocked to see the tears mingling with the rain running down his lover’s face. The wind whipped the other man’s cape, swirling it around his head. Swallowing, the second man’s stomach clenched as his own eyes burned.

My god, the most powerful being on the planet, and look at what I’ve done to you.

The wind moaned through the trees, and was that the other man moaning, too?

“Oh, Clark,” said Bruce sadly, removing his cowl and drawing his superpowered yet vulnerable lover close, the two of them embracing as the rain poured down.