Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
497
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,218

What friends do

Summary:

Fandom: Stargate
Written for the Prompt "Bed" on JackFic.
Characters: Jack O'Neill and Daniel Jackson
Portrayed by: Richard Dean Anderson and Michael Shanks
Summary: Jack helps Daniel

Work Text:

What friends do
by PEJA

It was that time of year again. The anniversay of the day Teal'c shot and killed Daniel's wife.

Jack kept that date marked in red on every calendar in his home and office just to make sure he didn't forget.

It was what friends did for friends.

He didn't need to consult any calendar to know, though.

The sudden silence that would come over the younger man as if someone had flipped a switch was all the calendar he needed. So when Daniel didn't report for duty knowing full well he was needed, when he skipped the meeting that once again the fate of the world hinged on, when he didn't answer Jack's calls or texts, Jack knew it was time.

Friends just knew.

Ignoring the bleating cries of various and sundry military types and secretaries alike, he strode from the base, climbed into a waiting chopper and directed the pilot to where he knew Daniel would be.

Friends came when they were needed.

Arriving in mere minutes, minutes that had seemed to take hours within his mind's clock, Jack dashed to the much loved fishing cabin he himself used when life got to be too much. Daniel had used the fishing retreat since that first year when the depression had sent him scurrying into seclusion. The seclusion was a balm to his wounded soul, Jack knew. Just as he knew that the cabin had become the only place where Daniel could lick his wounds and heal away from prying eyes.

Jack crept into the dark cabin. As every year before, Daniel had drawn every curtain tight, blocking out all the light until the cabin was a womb of darkness.

Jack knew not to bring any light into that blackness. Not a problem. He knew the inside of this place like he knew the back of his hand. He moved on silent feet to the guest room.

Daniel didn't stir from the curled up position on the bed. Didn't respond when Jack spoke his name, but Jack knew the man on the feather soft bed was aware of his arrival. Had been waiting for him to come so he could break apart in safety.

Like in the past, Jack toed off his shoes and wordlessly climbed on the bed, gathering his friend into his arms. With Daniel curled safely in his arms, he broke the silence, murmuring words of comfort against Daniel's soft hair. His hands were ackward as he began to smooth calming circles over the younger man's back, but grew more relaxed as he felt the tension ease in Daniel's stiff body. Daniel's tears finally broke through and Jack knew Daniel had survived another year with a little help from his friend.

He smiled when Daniel's tears slowed and his breathing lengthened into sleep. Another year past. Another crisis survived.

It was what friends did.