Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 20 of Watson
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2007-01-06
Words:
4,076
Chapters:
5/5
Comments:
3
Kudos:
19
Hits:
3,663

Monster stories

Summary:

Stories about how Don and Will added a cat to their family.

Chapter 1: Cat

Chapter Text

Catâ€"

"A cat?" Don said in surprise.

"Yeah," Will said. "That way there will always be someone home with the other one when one of us is working long hours. A dog would need too much attention and I've never been into birds or fish."

"I've never had a cat," Don mused. "We had a dog when I was a kid - a golden retriever mix named Archie. Actually, his name was Archimedes. Charlie is the only 5-year-old that would name a dog that. He was a good dog. Liked to chase baseballs but he always chewed on them so I went to tennis balls."

"I like dogs too," Will agreed. "But it wouldn't be fair to a dog with our crazy schedules."

"True," Don frowned thoughtfully. "But a cat ... Would a cat even care if we're home?"

"Depends on the cat," Will said. "I've had four different cats and one was super clingy, one was friendly, one was indifferent, and one wouldn't let me get near him unless I was holding food."

"So it's a crap shoot?"

"Not at all," Will laughed. "Well, mine I got through neighbors leaving or a friend's new girlfriend being allergic, but you can go to the pound and actually meet them before you adopt one."

"Adopt," Don said. "Sounds serious."

Will held up his hands. "Just think about it, okay? No rush."

The next time Will was gone for a few days, Don wandered around the empty house. He had lived alone for a long time but now that he lived with someone, the silence seemed much more empty. He thought about going over to Charlie's, but he and Colby deserved whatever private time they could find. Reluctantly, he went down to the local animal shelter, just to look.

And there he met Monster.