Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2009-01-12
Words:
7,151
Chapters:
9/9
Kudos:
12
Hits:
4,248

Bilko and the Christmas Auction

Summary:

It's Christmas and Ernie's up to something, as usual.

Chapter 1: 1.

Chapter Text

The best Italian restaurant in Roseville. A candlelit table in a small, private dining room. A bottle of fine red wine. A bouquet of white roses (her favorite) and a Christmas tree in the corner.

The Master Sergeant Ernie Bilko charm was on full force. He catered to her every whim, treating her like royalty.

Sergeant Joan Hogan smiled to herself. He definitely wanted something, not that she minded being pampered. And she might just give him what he wanted.

After the food was gone, Ernie scooted his chair close to Joan's. He put an arm around her. "Are you having a good time?"

She leaned against him. "This is wonderful, Ernie," she sighed.

He grinned. "I'm glad. Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas." She playfully nudged him with her elbow. "Did you get me something?"

He pulled back just enough to waggled his eyebrows at her. "Of course, I did. Did you think I'd forget about you on the best day of the year?"

She batted her eyelashes. "What?"

He tapped her on the nose. "You're just gonna have to wait the week till Christmas day."

She grabbed his head and planted a big one on him. When she let go, she smirked at the dazed expression on his face. His glasses were fogged up. "Are you sure?"

He swallowed and then blew out a long breath. He took off his glasses, took out his handkerchief, and wiped them off. "Yeah."

She pouted. "Okay, then."

He stared at her mouth for a long moment. He shook his head to clear it and re-filled both of their glasses. "I'll give it to you after the Christmas charity auction."

She laughed. She was with the sharpest operator on the post and she was one of the only ones who could throw him off his game. She took a drink. "I'm surprised that Colonel Hall let us make it a bachelor auction."

He shrugged. "With so many of the men volunteering, he couldn't deny how much we'd make for the orphanage."

She nudged him again. "Especially with you smooth talking right in his ear."

He poked her in the ribs. "It was your idea, my dear."

"I still say that you should enter." She licked her lips. "I'd bid on you."

Ernie actually blushed. "Someone has to host it," he stammered.

Joan loved seeing him flustered. "I suppose," she allowed. "I'll go to the dinner but I'll leave my money at home."

He rubbed his chin. "Actually, that's what I wanted to talk to you about."

She sat back in her seat and folded her arms across her chest. "Here it comes."

He held a hand up. "Just hear me out." He gave her a puppy dog look. "Please."

She put a hand on his leg. "All right. What is it?"

"Bid on Rocco. I'll give you the money."

She shook her head. "I can't. You know the Colonel's niece has a crush on him." She smiled ruefully. "Colonel Hall may not like it, but he's made it clear that we're supposed to let Jenny win."

He gave her a squeeze. "But that's exactly why you have to. And don't worry about the Colonel. Rocco's not good enough for Jenny and he won't do anything besides thunder a bit."

She just stared at him. "But why?"

"Rocco doesn't want her to buy him."

She arched an eyebrow. "Rocco doesn't want a date with a pretty girl? He doesn't have a steady girl, does he?"

"Well..." he looked away. "...well, not exactly."

She was getting more confused by the minute. "What do you mean not exactly? It's a yes or no question."

"Yes. The answer is yes," he answered quickly.

She grasped his chin and pulled his head back to face her. "What aren't you telling me?"

"Nothing," he denied but she already knew that he was lying.

She ran her finger down the side of his face. She leaned closer. "Ernie," she purred. "What are you up to?"

His voice cracked and he rolled his eyes in frustration with himself. "Nothing."

Her hot breath ghosted across his ear. "Well, I'm not chancing getting Colonel Hall mad at me because Barbella's shy."

He tried the puppy dog look again. "Please, Joan."

"No," she answered firmly. "And I won't even think about it until you tell me the real reason."

He smiled. "But I did."

She grinned back and kissed him softly. "Then, the answer's still no."