Actions

Work Header

Memories of the Past and Wishes for the Future

Summary:

Tony looks at what he has now and the events that lead to this point.

Work Text:

NCIS with hint of Diagnosis and The Bill
by kel2

While smiling at the scene before me, my thoughts go back to where this all started.

It was an interesting case that had the team split in two. Though I can remember the details as if it was yesterday. The story of it and details what happened after is not important at this point. Maybe at some time in the future I will tell.

Gibbs and I went to Eureka, Washington. It had been quite warm for that time of year. The interviews had taken all day. So it was quite late in the afternoon when we decided to head back to the airport. Gibbs was certain we could get there before the full force of the change in the weather arrived. It was one of the few times that he has been wrong. Thank goodness.

We were in the middle of nowhere when the snow started to fall faster then either of us liked. We found a barn big enough to fit the car in. We used it to ride out the storm.

After collecting what meager supplies we could find there, and using bales of hay to plug up holes in the door, we climbed back into the sedan. The temperature started to drop rapidly and we could see the killer blizzard and wind howling through the cracks between the creaky boards of the old barn.

Well, one thing led to another, and before we knew it, I had experienced the best sex ever. To make things even better so much snow fell that we were stuck for 3 days with nothing to do but talk and having sex.

Although things were a bit awkward when we managed to get back to DC, we worked on it. Both of us realizing this could be something special.

Not long after our fifth anniversary, Dwight Harrison Came into office as the 46th President of the US. He brought in sweeping changes to anti gay laws. Gay marriages were accepted. It was illegal to discriminate against or attack gays. People were free to come out in all parts of the military. That was when Gibbs retired from active duty. We told our team about us, and openly dated. On our 7 th anniversary I asked Jethro to marry me. 3 months later we were on the hottest honeymoon ever.

After the deaths of ex marine sergeant, special agent Steve Cowen and his wife in 2020,

We adopted their 5 kids aged 10 down to 2 months. That was the second best Xmas present I ever received.

Now 20 years after that fateful blizzard. We are sitting in the large lounge room of the house we built when the kids came along. On the corner near the bay window is an 8ft tree. Decorated with both bought and home made decorations. The new lights the kids picked out. Shine as a beacon to the treasures beneath. Our whole extended family is here. Abby and Scott are standing near the side table that is groaning from the burden of food and drinks. Setup to snack on. It was good to see Abby so happy. In the harness on her front is 2 moths old Abigail. That makes it 3 for them. They are talking to Stan. Who would have thought the man I was jealous of all those years ago would now be the director of NCIS. He is dividing his time between Abby and his husband of 10 years, Steve Loxton. Loxton is by the fire talking to Ducky and Gerald about something about London. He was a beat cop at Sunhill station there for a long time after leaving the army. Joined the team just before Jethro retired.

On the floor is the youngest of my team. Stefan and James, Gerald and Amanda's assistants. Amanda came to us at the same time as Steven Sloan and his husband Jesse. It is a good thing Jesse is experienced in emergency medicine. We all have used his services. Susan Leftbridge has been on the team for 5 years and Greg Stanwell is the new probie. Amanda, Steve and Tim who has been a widower for 2 years. Are watching the assortment of kids playing with the new toys. 14 kids in all!

I have to smile as the biggest kid in the room walks over to the bunch, sits on the floor and plays enthusiastically with them. He may be getting on but no one would ever say that he was old. I certainly do not. Who would have thought the stern ex gunny sergeant I use to work for would turn out to be so child like. To most people it seems as if we exchanged personalities over night.

Looking at him now I thank god he sent us that storm and the courage to move to a whole new level in our relationship. Leroy Jethro Gibbs is the best present I have ever had. I could not ask for a better partner and friend. Though our life has been problematic at times, the love, respect and friendship we have encountered over the years, has pulled us through. I can only hope and wish we could have at least 20 more!

fin