Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,366
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,437

Gaius Baltar's Nightmare

Summary:

Baltar's nightmare during "Eye of Jupiter" -- implied Baltar/Admiral Adama but it's mild slash -- in the same universe as the fic "Gaius Baltar's Curiosity"

Work Text:

Gaius Baltar was alone in the dark. He sat on a hard metal chair, his hands chained behind him. His wrists were raw and bleeding from his struggles but he couldn't get free.

A harsh light suddenly came on directly above him. He squeezed his eyes shut and jerked his head to the side. Then he heard footsteps.

He slowly opened his eyes. He blinked rapidly against the glare and his eyes watered. The steps stopped close to him but whoever it was didn't come into the light.

He peered into the gloom. "Who's there?" he squeaked.

Swiftly, a boot to the chest knocked him over backwards. He landed on his back, hard. He hit his head and cried out.

There was someone standing over him. However, with the light coming from above, he still couldn't tell who it was. His voice cracked. "Who are you?"

A heavy heel over his throat. "Shut up!"

Baltar's eyes got wide in panic as he recognized Colonel Tigh's voice. He tried to roll away but couldn't move. "Please," he rasped.

Tigh was suddenly kneeling on the floor next to Baltar's head. "Please, what?" he snarled. He grabbed a fistful of Baltar's hair and yanked. "I oughta skin you alive but then it would be over too quickly."

Tears ran down Baltar's cheeks and he didn't care. He couldn't bare to look at the rage on Tigh's face. His eyes darted everywhere but there. He bit his lip. "But I saved Galactica. The Cylon would've opened fire if it wasn't for me," he wailed.

"Thanks so much," Tigh sneered and yanked harder. "That's supposed to make up for all you did."

"I...I..." Baltar stuttered.

Tigh leaned close to Baltar's ear. His voice was low and filled with contempt. "You betrayed your own race. How does it feel knowing that you'll never have a home again with your own kind? I hope those tin cans are great company."

Baltar swallowed. "All you say is true."

Tigh straightened up and kicked Baltar in the side. "Hell, maybe you're one of them."

And that was Baltar's one hope. If he was a Cylon, maybe that would make it easier to live with all he'd done. But somehow, he didn't think he'd have that much luck. Besides, what would it really matter if Tigh killed him?

Tigh kicked him again. "Maybe that's why you were so eager to go along with them."

"If I hadn't, they would've just killed us right away," Baltar shouted more in pain than in anger.

Tigh's only response to that was to kick harder. He worked over Baltar's ribs. He was about to start on Baltar's head when another voice stopped him.

"That's enough for now, Colonel."

Baltar sighed quietly at Admiral Adama's firm command. He looked up at Tigh, whose body was rigid. He was afraid Tigh would disobey the order. Before New Caprica that would never have happened, but things change.

Tigh nodded. "Aye, Sir," he said tersely and stalked away.

Baltar closed his eyes. "Thank God," he breathed.

When Baltar opened them again, he was on his feet. His hands were loose at his sides but his wrists were swollen and bloody. He was light headed and swallowed a wave of nausea.

He was still in the dark room with the glaring light on top of him. He found himself face to face with Adama, just as he had been when he, D'Anna, and Cavil boarded Galactica to negotiate for the Eye of Jupiter. The same look of anger clouded Adama's features.

Baltar stared at the floor. "Thank you for stopping Colonel Tigh."

Adama grunted. "I didn't do it for you. And don't thank me too soon. You have a trial for treason to look forward to."

Baltar noticed that his hands were shaking but he couldn't bring himself to care. "We both know what will happen."

"True, but I give you my word that you won't be lynched."

Baltar chanced meeting Adama's gaze again. The anger and disappointment were still there, but he knew he could trust Adama's word. "That's something I suppose."

"Under the circumstances, that's all you can expect."

Adama's voice was hard but Baltar wouldn't describe it as gloating. Baltar could remember a time when that voice alone did things to his body, much more pleasurable things, than herald his doom. "I really did mean it when I said that it was good to hear your voice."

Adama's expression didn't change. "Somehow, I doubt that."

"I know that you don't have any reason to believe me, but it's true."

Adama regarded Baltar for a long moment and sighed heavily. "We're a long way from there."

Baltar barely restrained himself from hysterical laughter at the understatement. He still snorted. "I know." He dropped to his knees and buried his face in Adama's stomach. "I'm sorry."

Baltar fully expected Adama to shove him away but he didn't. Instead, Adama put his hands on Baltar's shoulders and waited for Baltar to look up at him. "That's not enough. There comes a time when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore."

"But...but..." Baltar's stumbled for the words. Everything he'd done was to save his own skin. Now, it looked like he sold his soul for nothing. Where was Six and all of her prophecies about his destiny? "No!" he started screaming. "No!"

"Gaius."

A nudge to his shoulder but Baltar didn't respond. The light was gone and he was alone. He collapsed onto his side and curled into a ball.

"Gaius!" It was a feminine voice, more insistent. Another nudge to his shoulder. "Wake up!"

Baltar's eyes snapped open. He was panting and sweating. He sat upright and it took him a moment to recognize the interior of the cylon base ship.

Caprica sat up next to him. She put an arm around him. "Gaius, are you all right?"

Baltar swallowed and then took a deep breath. "Fine," he answered shakily.

She rubbed his back. "It was a nightmare. It's over now."

He brought his knees up to his chest. He rested his elbows on them and buried his face in his hands. The images from the dream were still vivid in his mind. If he hadn't been absolutely sure before, he was then. No matter what happened, no matter if he ever did anything to make up for his sins, his own people would never forgive him. "I'm an outcast," he muttered.

"From a people whose time is limited," she said soothingly. "Your destiny is different from theirs." She kissed the side of his head. "Embrace it."

"Yes," he agreed but his voice still shook. He rested his head on her shoulder.

She lay back down and pulled him with her. He nuzzled the side of her neck and she stroked his hair. "I know it's hard," she continued. "But you're right where you're supposed to be."

"Right where I'm supposed to be," Baltar repeated and he did his best to believe it. If he didn't, what did he have left. But Adama's voice was still in his head. // There comes a time when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.//