Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,003
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,155

Silence and Stars

Summary:

Rating: PG Pairing: J/D Category: Short Vignette, Romance, ER Warnings: Sap(?) Season/Spoilers: Any/None Disclaimer: Sadly not mine. But they belong to each other anyway ;) Notes: My first Stargate fic. Be kind ;-) Thanks to my betas for finding the missing commas and apostrophes ïÂ�Å  Summary: Daniel needs silence…

Work Text:

Silence and stars

"Daniel, where are you going?"
"Out."
The man continued to tie his shoelaces.
"Daniel."
"Jack," came the instantaneous reply; however, something in the other man's voice made Daniel look up.
He looked at Jack for a moment, contemplating, and then nodded.
"Fine."
Motioning for Jack to put on his shoes, he went outside.
As soon as Jack came outside, Daniel turned without a word and headed towards the trail behind the house that led into the forest.
The Colonel wanted to ask where they were going, what this was all about, but when he turned to look at the silent man beside him, something held him back.
So they walked in companionable silence and, without consciously realizing it, they fell into step. And although the trail was wide, they walked close, arms occasionally brushing against each other.
Jack soon found himself mulling over what had kept him from speaking earlier.
His partner seemed lost in thought and apparently needed time to think. They had had a busy week without time to really stop and reflect.
So he was grateful that Daniel trusted him to let him come along, and Jack wasn't going to betray that trust by disturbing the comfortable silence that had settled between them.

They were now deep in the woods and it was darker here. Around them were the sounds of rustling leaves and of the animals getting ready for the night to come.
Jack found it very soothing and he understood Daniel's need for this silence.
Just then he began to notice their matching strides and brushing hands. Quickly the Colonel scanned around; but aside from the unseen animals and the wind in the trees, they were alone.
So he did something they had never indulged in yet, because there had been no opportunity.
Jack took Daniel's fingers and entwined them with his. His lover's head came up, but Jack just smiled at him softly. Daniel simply smiled back and gave a light squeeze to acknowledge the gesture.
While the younger man went back to his contemplations, Jack simply marvelled at walking hand-in-hand with Daniel Jackson, archaeologist and lover extraordinaire.
He felt a silly grin break out, but wasn't going to take his hand back.

The walk in silence with their hands linked was really soothing. Jack was brought up short when they came to a fork in the path, but Daniel pulled him along to the left where the trail soon became too steep to hold hands.
With a squeeze the Colonel let go reluctantly and they climbed up in silence.
When they came to the top of the hill, Daniel took his hand again and pulled him off the trail through the trees and bushes growing there.
After a few paces the forest receded and they stood on top of a crest.
Below them lay the forest they had just walked through and the outskirts of Colorado Springs.
In the distance Jack could see the mountain range where the Cheyenne Mountain Complex was located.
The crest was facing west and the sun had just begun to set.
He smiled. Watching a sunset together was something they hadn't done yet either, and the silence that had settled around them so comfortably made the sappiness of the situation bearable, because he knew he wasn't expected to say anything at all now.
A tree had fallen over during some storm and Daniel was pulling him toward it. Jack indulged him and sat down next to him on the tree trunk.
The archaeologist just slipped his arm around the older man's waist and rested his head on his shoulder.
They sat like that through the beautiful sunset and Jack looked at his lover as the sun sent red-golden rays into his lover's beautiful hair.
'Arghh, stop it, O'Neill,' Jack thought. 'This is getting waaay too mushy. If Daniel heard you, he would kill you!'
But he couldn't stop smiling - or looking.

Since neither of the two men was inclined to move and break the peace, they sat until the stars came out.
Daniel moved then and the other man felt him preparing to say something, so he silenced him with a finger. The younger man raised his head and looked at his lover, who leaned forward to whisper into his ear.
"See that bright star there?" Jack pointed and felt Daniel nod against him.
"A little to the left is a very dim star. See it?" He felt Daniel nod again. "Next time I'll show you through my telescope, but that is Abydos's sun."
This time Daniel turned his head and smiled at Jack.
Then he drew him in for a deep kiss. Their tongues entwined until they both had to draw back for breath.
The Colonel noticed the wicked gleam in the younger man's eyes.
He held up a forestalling hand.
"Oh no, lover mine. Although I love it when you have your wicked way with me, I am afraid you'll have to wait until we are home. I admit this is all very romantic, but I am waaaay too old to make out on the ground of the forest."
Daniel chuckled.
"Too bad, but I *will* have my wicked way with you when we get home. You are so mine!"
Jack smiled at that.
"Yes, I am."
Daniel blinked.
"Are you getting mushy on me, O'Neill?"
"No, Dr Jackson, just stating the truth."
Daniel then reached out and laid his palm against the other man's cheek.
"Thank you," he said solemnly.
Jack smiled softly and then he jumped up and pulled his lover to his feet.
Filled with the silence, and the stars, and the peace of the evening, the lovers made their way home.