Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2007-04-18
Words:
32,489
Chapters:
14/14
Comments:
12
Kudos:
34
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
6,858

To Keep A Promise

Summary:

What will Bo do to keep a promise to Luke?

Chapter 1: one

Chapter Text

Disclaimer: I don't own the Dukes of Hazzard, not making any money, just cheap thrills.

 

Warnings: Angst, Violence, Disturbing themes

 

Rating: FRT

 

italics and/or * indicates thoughts

 

A/N: In 1978 it would've been perfectly legal for an eighteen year old to be in a bar and to drink beer.

 

Summary: What will Bo do to keep a promise to Luke?

 

To Keep A Promise
Chapter 1

 

Luke had only been home from the Marines for a few days. He had arrived only two weeks before his youngest cousin's high school graduation and he couldn't be prouder. Bo had turned eighteen in April and Luke had invited the younger man to the Boar's Nest for a beer.

 

"Hey Lukas Dukas!" Cooter yelled out when he saw his old friend walk through the door.

 

"Hey Cooter!" Luke returned the greeting, weaving his way through the crowd, Bo on his heels, to Cooter's table. Pulling out a chair, he sat down, "So what's going on Cooter?"

 

"Oh nuttin much, just thought I'd have me a Friday night out. Hey Bo, ain't seen you out much lately," Cooter greeted the younger Duke boy.

 

"Been busy with school and chores," Bo mumbled, keeping his head down. *I shouldn't have come here, what if somebody says something?*

 

Luke looked at his cousin, noticing his strange behavior. Before he could say anything though, the waitress was at their table. After ordering two beers, Luke turned back to his cousin, only to be distracted again by Sherry Miller sidling over to ask for a dance. By the time he made it back to the table, his beer was waiting for him, as were several friends, and he forgot about Bo's behavior.

 

Bo sat at the table, grinning as he watched the fun his cousin was having. It was so good to see him laughing and having a good time. Bo was so caught up in the infectious good time of his cousin that he didn't notice when Dale Richardson came into the bar. The first awareness he had of Dale's presence was when the older boy leaned over and whispered something in Bo's ear. Bo felt the blood drain from his face at Dale's words. Jumping up from the table, he hurried to the restroom, unaware of the worried look Cooter shot his way.

 

Cooter didn't know what Dale had said to Bo, though he could take a guess. What he did know, was that he wanted nothing more than to beat the Richardson boy to a bloody pulp. He fought the urge instead and walked over to where Luke was talking to Charlie and Brody. "Uh Luke, I think maybe you better go check on Bo."

 

"Bo? Where is he?" Luke asked, looking towards the other table and not seeing his cousin.

 

"Restroom, he didn't look too good," Cooter replied.

 

"Thanks Cooter," Luke said as he hurried to check on his youngest cousin.

 

"Cooter, what happened?" Brody asked after Luke left.

 

"I ain't real sure Brody. The Richardson kid said something to him, next thing I know he's white as a sheet and running for the restroom."

 

"Damn!"

 

"Yeah," Cooter agreed.

 

"You think Luke knows?" Charlie asked.

 

"I doubt it, but maybe he should," Cooter answered, stroking his chin as he thought about it.

 

"Don't tell him Cooter, that should be up to Bo," Brody advised.

 

Looking at his friends, he saw Charlie nodding in agreement with Brody. "Guess you're right, I just hope he tells him before somebody else does."

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The first thing Luke heard when he walked into the restroom was the sound of retching coming from one of the stalls. Turning around, he locked the door to make sure Bo would have some privacy. Stepping over next to the stall, he called out, "Bo?"

 

Bo didn't answer, couldn't answer as he continued to retch miserably into the toilet. After what seemed an eternity, the heaving stopped and Bo sat back on his heels. Pulling some paper off the roll, he wiped at his mouth and nose. Pushing himself to his feet, he tossed the paper into the bowl and flushed. Opening the stall door, he avoided his cousin's worried glance, hurrying to the sink to rinse his mouth and wash up.

 

"You getting sick?" Luke asked, placing a hand on Bo's back and jerking back when his cousin jumped away from his touch. "Bo?"

 

"Sorry, ya startled me," Bo apologized. "I don't know Luke, maybe something I ate," he replied to the original question.

 

"You don't feel hot," Luke observed, laying the back of his hand against Bo's forehead. "Likely you're right, either way we better get you home. Uncle Jesse'll tan my hide if I let you stay here after ya got sick."

 

"Okay," Bo quickly agreed, having no desire to stay here where Luke might learn the truth.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

"You boys are home awfully early," Jesse said when his nephews walked through the kitchen door.

 

"Bo wasn't feeling well," Luke explained.

 

"Luke!" Bo whined, not wanting Uncle Jesse to know.

 

"Bo, you coming down with something?" Jesse worriedly asked, stepping over to his youngest and laying the back of his hand against his forehead.

 

"Just something I ate," Bo replied, pulling away from his uncle.

 

"Well you don't feel hot. Why don't you go lie down and I'll fix ya some hot ginger tea for your stomach," his uncle suggested.

 

"Thanks Uncle Jesse," Bo said, a small smile crossing his face. Walking down the hall, he went into the room he shared with his oldest cousin and quickly got undressed. Pulling on a pair of pajama pants, he was under the covers in no time, waiting for his uncle. He hated lying to his family like this, but he didn't know what else to do. It was bad enough that his uncle and Daisy knew, he didn't want Luke to know too. The thought of his cousin, his brother, knowing what he'd nearly done made his stomach roil, and he grabbed for the trash can. Leaning over the small bin, he retched into it, bringing up nothing but bile. Moaning in discomfort from the pull on stomach muscles that were rapidly becoming sore, he rolled onto his back and did his best not to think about anything.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

"Is that what really happened?" Jesse asked as soon as Bo was out of earshot.

 

"Far as I know," Luke replied.

 

"What's that supposed to mean?"

 

"I ain't sure it's something he ate, but that's what he told me too. All I know for sure is Cooter told me that Bo went to the restroom and he didn't look too good. I went to check on him and found him being sick, when I asked him about it he said it was something he ate."

 

"You don't believe him though?"

 

"I don't know Uncle Jesse, it just feels like he's holding something back. I don't suppose you have any ideas?"

 

"No," Jesse lied, knowing that he couldn't betray Bo's trust by telling Luke. "I guess if something's bothering him, he'll tell us when he's ready." Finishing up the tea, Jesse carried the cup to the bedroom. Pushing open the door, he smiled at the sight of his youngest curled up on his side, sound asleep.

 

"Uncle Jesse?" Bo called in a sleepy voice.

 

Maybe not so sound asleep after all, "Yeah Bo, it's me. Brought you some ginger tea, you want to try some?"

 

"Mmmmm," Bo replied, struggling to sit up.

 

Jesse quickly sat the tea down on the bedside table and helped his nephew to position himself. "You awake?" he asked. He didn't want to hand the hot tea to the boy if he wasn't.

 

Shaking his head slightly to clear the cobwebs away, Bo nodded.

 

"Here ya are then," Jesse softly said, handing the boy his ginger tea.

 

Sipping at the hot beverage, Bo was amazed at how quickly his rebellious stomach settled.

 

"Better?"

 

"Just like magic," Bo replied, the same answer he'd given ever since his first sip of ginger tea at the age of four.

 

"Like always," Jesse said with a grin. Turning serious, he gave his youngest a worried look. "Bo, this ain't cause of something you ate, is it?"

 

"Sure it i...no," Bo admitted miserably.

 

"What happened?"

 

"Dale Richardson," came the reply, the only explanation Jesse needed.

 

"What did he say?"

 

"It don't matter Uncle Jesse, just more of the same."

 

"Bo, you're gonna have to tell Luke about it," the old man kindly told him.

 

"I can't Uncle Jesse, I don't want him to know what I did," came the immediate protest, just as Jesse had expected.

 

"Now Bo, we've talked about this before, you ain't to blame for anything that happened," Jesse assured his nephew, not for the first time. "Besides, if you don't tell him, somebody else might," he pointed out.

 

"How am I supposed to tell him Uncle Jesse?"

 

"Bo, you and your cousin have always been close," Jesse began. "I'm sure once you start talking, the words will come to you."

 

"Can I think about it?"

 

"Of course you can Bo, you don't even have to tell him. I ain't about to force you to do that, but I really think you should and the sooner the better."

 

"I'll ththththink about it," Bo stuttered. Finished with his tea, he set the cup back on the nightstand and scooted down on the bed until his head lay on the pillow.

 

"You do that Bo," Jesse softly said. Gently brushing the hair from Bo's forehead, he leaned forward and gave his nephew a soft kiss on the head. "Goodnight sprout, pleasant dreams," he wished the boy, though he was sure it would do no good.

 

"Goodnight Uncle Jesse," Bo murmurred, closing his eyes, already drifting to sleep.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Luke glanced at the clock, surprised to see it read 3 a.m., wondering what had woke him up. A sound like a frightened animal, drew his attention to the other side of the room. His eyes widened in concern at the sight of his cousin, tossing his head from side to side, with sweat pouring from him as he moaned in fear. Throwing back the covers, he climbed from his bed and moved to his cousin's side. "Bo," he called, slightly shaking the younger man's arm in an attempt to wake him.

 

"Noooo, please, uhhhhh," he moaned, jerking away from Luke's hand. Trapped in whatever nightmare held him, Bo could only tremble in fear as he tried to escape whatever was tormenting him.

 

"Bo!" Luke called a little louder this time and giving his cousin's arm a harder shake. When the younger man only continued to struggle against the dream, moaning in fear and pain, Luke began to get truly worried. "Bo! Wake up cousin!" he ordered in his best Marine Sergeant's voice.

 

Reacting just like the rawest recruit, Bo jerked instantly awake, looking around him in terror.

 

"Bo," Luke called, more quietly now that his cousin was awake.

 

"Luke?" Bo asked, still not fully awake. He didn't seem to realize where he was.

 

"Yeah, you need to wake up now."

 

"Am awake," came the sleepy response.

 

"Not quite," Luke observed, giving his cousin another light shake.

 

"Alright, alright, I'm awake already," Bo growled, pulling from Luke's grasp.

 

"You okay?"

 

"Yeah," came the quiet answer.

 

"You want to talk about it?"

 

"Just a bad dream, ain't nothing to talk about."

 

"Bo, please don't lie to me."

 

"I ain't lying Luke," Bo insisted.

 

"I thought you trusted me," Luke said, obviously hurt by Bo's refusal to talk.

 

"I do trust you Luke," Bo immediately vowed.

 

"Then talk to me cousin, tell me what's wrong."

 

"It was just a bad..."

 

"Dream," Luke sadly finished. "Alright Bo, have it your way," he sighed, standing up and moving back to his own bed.

 

"Luke, don't be like that," Bo begged.

 

"Like what Bo?"

 

"You know what I mean."

 

"I don't know how else to be cousin, not when you won't talk to me and you're lying to my face."

 

"I...please Luke don't make me tell you."

 

"It's that bad?" Luke asked, climbing back out of his bed and hurrying to Bo's side.

 

"I can't tell ya, please don't make me," Bo begged, his dark blue eyes shimmering suspiciously.

 

"I'm sorry Bo, I didn't mean to upset ya," Luke soothed, pulling his cousin into a comforting hug. "You tell me when you're ready, I'll be here, I promise."

 

"Oh God," Bo moaned. Pulling away and turning onto his side, he huddled under the covers.

 

"Bo, what is it?"

 

"I don't want ya to promise," Bo replied.

 

"Why not?" Luke asked, more confused than ever.

 

"Can't explain it, just don't like promises," Bo answered.

 

"Alright I won't promise, but I will be here when you're ready," Luke said, still having no idea what had upset Bo so badly.

 

"Thanks Luke, I'll remember," came the quiet reply. Turning back over, he pulled his cousin down for a quick hug, "Goodnight Luke," he whispered into his cousin's ear.

 

Sitting back up, Luke patted Bo on the shoulder in a comforting gesture, "You're welcome Bo. Goodnight," he responded quietly. Returning to his own bed, he closed his eyes and tried to get a few more hours of sleep.

 

TBC

 

Hope y'all liked the first chapter. Please review and let me know what you think.