Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,890
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
3
Kudos:
15
Bookmarks:
3
Hits:
1,503

Think Before You Speak

Summary:

Fandom: CSI:NY
Disclaimer: Still not mine. Just borrowing
Trio: Mac/Danny/Don
Warnings: Spoilers for the end of season one
5roses Prompt: Stupid Comments
Summary: Stupid comments and a lack of trust upset one of the lovers
Author’s Notes: As always, thanks and credit to Kathie and Dee
Submitted through the CSI_New_York_Slash mailing list.

Work Text:

Think Before You Speak
by Ginny

"Danny!" Mac snapped irritably. "What is your problem?"

"Problem? What makes you think I have a problem?" Danny snapped back.

"Because you've been in the kitchen, muttering to yourself, for the last ten minutes. What the hell is wrong with you?" Mac demanded as he strode from the living room to the kitchen door.

"What's wrong with me? I'll tell you what's wrong with me! We'll see! How's that for what's wrong with me," Danny practically shouted as he tossed silverware into the drawer.

"Danny," Mac sighed in exasperation. "You're overreacting."

"Am I? Am I Mac? I don't think so. Why don't you go fuck Rose and go to hell," he suggested and slammed the door shut before storming out of the kitchen and toward the door.

"Where do you think you're going?" Mac called after him.

"Don't know, don't care as long as it's not near you," Danny shouted and yanked the door open, nearly knocking Don, who was just walking up, over.

"Danny? What's wrong?"

"Ask him," Danny said, pointing a figure toward Mac. "I'm leaving."

"Danny!" Don called after him. He sighed as Danny entered the stairwell and disappeared. "What did you do?" he asked Mac.

"Me? I didn't do anything. I was just sitting on the couch going through paperwork, like I do every evening. Shouldn't you be asking what he did? I told you both about Rose and I told you I'm not interested in her."

"Mac ... you're an idiot."

"Excuse me?"

Don shook his head and pushed Mac inside. "Sit," he ordered firmly, pointing to the chair as he closed the door behind them. "We have to talk."

Mac opened his mouth to speak but Don held up a hand, cutting him off.

"*I* speak, *you'll* listen," he clarified.

Mac nodded.

"You are an emotionally impaired, tense, workaholic dickhead! But Danny and I love you anyway. Even when you put your foot in your mouth and are too dense to figure it out, we love you. But you hurt him and then hurt him more when you didn't realize what you did."

"Do? What did I do?" Mac demanded. "I haven't done anything."

"That's the problem Mac, you haven't done anything. Two days ago he asked if you were okay and you didn't have the decency to give him a real answer. You say 'we'll see' and then you come home, eat dinner with us, and act like nothing happened. He has no idea where he stands with you."

"Nothing has changed here," Mac pointed out. "We all agreed that we wouldn't let us interfere with the job, why would we let the job interfere with us?"

"You don't get it, do you? You really don't understand what exactly you told him," Don said in complete disbelief. "I don't know if you're clueless or just a bastard."

Mac glared at him, not happy to be called either say. "I can't say that I'm appreciating this conversation."

"I can't say I appreciate having this conversation. By telling Danny 'we'll see' you told him you don't trust him. I don't care if you meant you don't trust him to follow procedure or tie his shoes, the bottom line is, he sees it as you don't trust him at all and that's it."

"That's not what I said and I would never mean something like that. Of course I trust him. I love him, don't I?"

Don sighed and slumped forward, resting his elbows on his knees as he buried his face in his palms. "You really don't get it, do you?" he asked, feeling tired.

"Don, just tell me. What don't I get?" Mac asked. He stared at the evidence Don had given him, but they just weren't in the right order yet to make sense.

"It's one and the same. You can't love Danny if you don't trust him, right?"

Mac nodded slowly and then finally realized what Don had been saying. "Oh God... I screwed up.

"You did. Make it right."

"I don't know how."

"You were married to Claire for how many years? You can figure it out," Don informed him. "Go find him and don't come back until the two of you have worked it out."

Mac was silent for a long minute before he nodded and stood up. "I'm sorry Don," he sad quietly.

"I know. Just tell Danny and bring him home, okay?"

"Yeah," he agreed before he grabbed his keys and headed out the door.

 

"I know you're there. You can stop hiding in the shadows," Danny called out irritably as he threw the ball at his target again. He hissed at the burn in his shoulder and bent down to pick up another ball. He tossed it lightly in the air as he asked, "What do you want?"

"To apologize."

"Not interested in listening to that at the moment. Not really interested in seeing you either. I'd rather you got the hell out of my sight."

"Not going to happen," Mac said patiently. He had known it was going to take a lot of effort on his part to get through Danny's anger and hurt.

"Suit yourself," Danny said and continued to throw the ball. He let out a grunt of pain a few balls later and hesitated before picking up the next one. There were only a few more lying near his feet.

"Stop," Mac ordered him as he stepped into pitching cage.

"Get the hell out of here," Danny ground out.

"You're hurting yourself."

"I'm not. It's keeping me focused on not doing something stupid?"

"Like throwing this ball at your head."

"I just want to talk."

"Dammit Mac! I don't want to talk!" Danny shouted and threw the ball. He nodded in satisfaction at the numbers he read on the radar gun. Sure his shoulder was killing him, but he hadn't thrown a ball faster than 82 mph in years.

"Stop," Mac repeated and stood in front of the target.

"Move."

"No."

"Move!"

"No."

"Fine," Danny snapped and threw the next ball. It flew past Mac's head, missing him by no more than three inches. Danny grinned humorlessly. "My aim is still pretty damn good, don't'cha think?"

"Yes," Mac agreed, swallowing. He took a few steps forward, "Danny.... stop, please, before you hurt yourself."

"I'm fine. A sore shoulder and a lover that doesn't love me and is meeting woman in diners. Why would you think that something is wrong?" he asked. He let his last ball fall from his fingers and roll away as he pushed his glasses up and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Really? Why would you think something is wrong?"

Mac covered the distance between them in a heartbeat and wrapped his arms around Danny. He was relieved that the lateness of the night ensured their privacy. "I didn't mean things that way. Let me explain ... please?"

Danny hesitated for a few seconds but nodded. It was too much of an effort to stay this angry. "Fine. Talk."

"I am - was - angry about the Minhas incident. You scared me, both professionally and personally, you scared the crap out of me Danny and I don't do well with that," Mac explained as he led Danny away from the pitching mound and toward the bench where he'd left his bags.

Danny gave him a half smile and a single nod, acknowledging the truth to the statement.

"When you asked if we were all right ... it was a stupid comment and I didn't mean it the way it sounded," Mac tried to explain as he pulled an icepack out of one of the bags he had brought with him.

"You didn't mean to say ya don't trust me?" Danny asked him. Now that his anger had faded, all he was feeling was how much it had hurt to realize that he had lost Mac's trust. If Mac couldn't trust him, that meant he'd lost everything because there was no way their relationship could survive without it.

"I trust you Danny ... I didn't realize that I had to actually say the words to you ... I just thought it was a given and that you know I did," Mac said haltingly. "I love you."

The force behind the words caused Danny to look up and into his eyes. He saw the truth to the statement and that allowed the ache around his heart to ease up a bit. "I love you too. You and Don are the best things that have ever happened to me. If I'd lost that because I was stupid, I don't know what I'd do," he ended in a whisper.

"You didn't. I should have explained better. You both understand me so much better than most people that I didn't realize that you weren't this time." Mac reached into his bag and pulled something out. "I'm sorry," he said and handed the bouquet of roses to Danny.

Danny stared at the flowers and laughed. "You bought me flowers?"

Mac nodded, suddenly unsure. Flowers had always helped when Claire was mad at him and he'd hoped they'd help now too. "Are they okay?"

Danny smiled at him, leaning forward to kiss him softly. "They're more than okay. Thank you."

"Really? That's it? You forgive me?" Mac asked in surprise.

Danny's smile faded slightly as he said, "I'm not going to forget this. You hurt me Mac but you're not the only one at fault. I've been a complete idiot with what I've said and done a few times lately too. But we're okay."

"Good," Mac sighed, relief filling him. He'd honestly been afraid that he'd screwed up the best thing he'd had in years.

"You're not completely off the hook. Don's not too happy with ya either," Danny warned him.

"I know. I got him flowers too," Mac said and pulled out another wrapped bouquet. "And, if those don't work, I bought this!"

Danny stared at the object and laughed, "You do know your man, don't ya Mac? For someone who eats as much candy as he does, he has a freaky obsession with cauliflower."

"I don't get it myself, but if it makes Don happy, I'm happy," Mac said with a small shrug. "How about we head home. We'll ice your shoulder, give Don his cauliflower and put the flowers in water."

"As long as all three of us are there, it sounds wonderful," Danny agreed as he stood up. As they headed for the car he said, "Hey Mac?"

"Yes?"

Danny's grin was mischievous as he said, "I love the flowers but next time you're a bastard? I want diamonds."

The End