Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,912
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,114

Story of Zan

Summary:

Just a small series of drabbles from my strange mind. Please check your sanity at the door and please go with the flow. I'ts more fun that way.

Work Text:

Dedicated to Cheryl who nagged me to make it into a book.

Disclaimer: I don't own Roswell or any of the characters. Unless i made them up, but the makers can have them if it brings Roswell back to our screens. I did not make any money off this story.



Story of Zan

Yes I know I should be writing the new chapter for Act of War. That is if anyone is reading it. But I needed to write this. Simply because it has free reign in my head and if I don't let it out, well not pretty. This may also help because I'm hoping that it will explain who Tara is.
She is one of the women who loves Zan. Without question. She is the first face he sees in the morning and the last one he sees at night.
She watched him from the cradle to the grave and has killed his enemies without question simply because they tried to hurt him.

So here it is the story of the king ZAN.
********

Zan was the sixth son and tenth child of the king of Antar. Zan and his older sister Vilandra where the only children still living at the palace. Vilandra was equal to the age of a ten year old of a human when her younger brother was born. The young princess was playing with a radio of sorts and managed to pick up a few tunes fro earth. Liking the song which was playing she turned up the volume. The song was carried through the palace and Zan was born with the song O Come All Ye Faithful playing in the back ground.*
This tune was adopted by the people of Antar. The tune was played every year on Zan's birthday. It was also banned by Kivar when he took the throne. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
Zan was the last of ten children to the king of Antar, but no one knew who would be the future ruler.
On Antar the throne does not necessary past to the oldest male child like it would on earth. It is passed to the one with the most power. The one who is able to calm a violent planet.
In this case the ruler was not named until the mother wife and queen died over three years after Zan was born.
The first time Zan met Tara he was still in the crib. She had been looking at the newest child to her king. She had not been expecting, to be seen. She was the first person he saw and the most frequent, she became his entertainment. For Tara's part she was surprised that the child had seen her. To her knowledge he was the first person to ever see her or at least let her know.
After concluded that he could in fact see her very clearly she was with him night and day. She talked to the child made him laugh, watched over him when he slept. She became his teacher, friend. He became her world.
For someone to see her to listen to understand was a miracle to her. Whether Zan was a child meant nothing, he was someone who loved her. And he did as he moved out of his crib he was with her. As he crawled then walked she taught him. She showed him plants with bright colours, insects which made strange and funny noises all for him to marvel at. Antar was his play ground where no one could harm him.
Tara pointed out pretty flowers for him to pick for his ill mother. Flowers that smelled sweeter than roses and held healing qualities. Zan carried them inside to the sick woman, Tara followed her young friend and he gave the flowers to his mother with the words Tara helped me choose them.
Once the child had left the doctors returned to find the queen smelling the flowers in her childs gift. She felt better. Just the thought of Zan coming to see her had made the pain in her head ease. The doctors arrived and she turned smiling at them. " Aren't they beautiful. Zan bought them for me." Her doctor looked at the flowers more closely and gasped.
" What? "
" They're healing herbs, some I haven't seen in years."
How Zan had managed to get the plants was a mystery to everyone. When asked he said quite simply that Tara had shown him.
Going back I wanted to point out that the first word that Zan said was Tara. Not mother or father or any other version, Tara. It became a nick name to the woman and even when Zan was old enough to understand who she truly was he still called her Tara. As she teased the young king that she got her name because as a child he could not say the name Antar so she was Tara.
No one questioned who Tara was believing that the young prince had created the woman to be his constant companion.
So they were allowed to be friends to roam the palace walls. And in that time Tara would teach him about everything she could think about. Why the sky was a nice shade of lilac at sunset, why the trees so tall in some areas but the same trees would grow smaller in other places. About how the rat like creature could survive on almost any kind of food.
But Zan's favourite lessons where the ones spent outside playing with tiger like creatures. With giant paws and huge eyes. How he could stroke the soft fur and watch his hand disappear. Listening to the loud heart beat as he lay against the animals chest. All the while Tara was teaching him how the fur caught air to keep the large animal warm. How he used hidden claws that never hurt Zan to bring down his prey. How the teeth and powerful jaws which where inches from Zan would crush the spines of almost any creature it hunted. Meaning a quick death for it's prey.
Zan took in the knowledge without a thought it was the way of nature and he loved to learn.
The way that his mother reacted after she saw him playing outside with what was deemed the deadliest creature on Antar was not surprising. As she screamed for help and ran out into the large garden and pulled her son away from the animal. And carried him inside. A search had been organised in the grounds searching for how the creature had managed to get close to the young prince.
While Zan was tucked into his bed with Tara soothing him and letting him know that he had done nothing wrong. While his friend was telling him that his mother was not angry at him the royal couple where talking.
" You will have to choose someone soon. "
" My dear lets not talk of this tonight. "
" We have to talk about this. Zan nearly died and we don't know who will be the new ruler of Antar. Someone needs to protect my children when I'm gone. "
" Hush now. " the king said.
" When the time comes one will be chosen. The people will choose as they always have."
" No " the queen said.
" It's too late for that. "
" My dear what do you mean? "
" I mean I've seen it. My child, my death. When I die the one chosen, the one destined to be king or queen will be the one to tell you. "
" Don't talk of such things. "
" We have to, I fear there is little time left. You need to know that the child will be carrying my scarf, they will be the one to tell you and they will also bring my favour with them.
I don't see who it is but I feel the power, the strength in them. The ability to be the strongest leader Antar has ever had. The love for the planet and her people was clear in the dream. You must protect my children. The dream will come to pass and I need to know that they will be safe. "
The king embraced his wife in his arms and held her as he hushed her. Telling her that he understood her words. That the ruler would be accepted and protected.
But after that no further comment was made. Neither spoke of how the ruler would be chosen, both knowing what that information being leaked could mean for the future of Antar.
So the subject was never breached again until the small figure of Zan made his way into the throne moving passed the council members and soldiers making his way to his fathers side. While holding on tightly to his mothers scarf in his small hands.
He walked up to his father and bowed as he had been taught. Then looked up at his king and held out the piece of cloth.
" Vilandra can't wake mother up, she's upsets and crying. Can you wake mother for her. " It was such a simple question the honest concern for his sisters pain was evident.
The king lowered his arms and picked up his son and heir.
" Leave us. " he said to the room in general. The council members quickly left the room, all of them confused.
" Was the queen dead. "
" Can you wake mother? " The three year old looked up at his king and father.
" No son I can't. I wish I could. "
He then walked over to the wall and open a concealed doorway. Zan watched with awe in his eyes as they moved down a large corridor. When they reached another door way the king laid his palm against the wall besides the door. Zan watched as a hand print glowed a second before the door swung open.
Inside was the most beautiful garden Zan had ever seen. He could name most of the plants from his lesson from Tara.
As the door closed behind them the king walked into the room and placed Zan onto a stone bench. He then fell to his knees in front of his son.
" This place is mine and now also yours. "
" Whenever you are hurt, sad, angry you come here." Zan nodded to his father. He didn't understand why but he knew the order.
" This place is safe. The planet protects us here. No matter how loud or how long you scream you are protected and your cries will be unheard. Here you are safe. " Again the child nodded.
The king kissed his son�s head and then began to weep for his wife. Zan sat in silence as his father mourned for his dead wife. The king allowed his grief a voice as he yelled and cried into the night.

tbc

( * yes I know the time lines don't fit, but it's fiction and fun. Besides it explains why Isabel loves Christmas so much and why Max doesn't. Well on that point try having that song, however nice sung at you for your entire life and see if you like it. )