Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2004-07-26
Words:
5,983
Chapters:
3/3
Kudos:
38
Bookmarks:
3
Hits:
8,187

Bumped

Summary:

This is a WHAT IF story from the episode "Sub Rosa". What would happen if Tony HAD wound up going on the submarine instead of Cait?

Chapter 1: Part 1

Notes:

pairing: Gibbs/DiNozzo
rating: R
warnings: Um... can't think of anything... it's slash... it's kind of AU... :::shrug::::
Note: The next part may not post for a couple of days but I wanted to get it up there. It was a scene that needed doing....

WHAT IF slash version of "Sub Rosa". Question: What if Cait HAD been bumped from the sub and Tony got to go?

Chapter Text

Bumped
by Asa Meda


"What is this... Victorian England?" Special Agent was angry and insulted. Her mother used to talk about how she had been excluded from an advance science class because she was a girl. Todd had believed her but found it hard to imagine... until today. "Wh-what with the men with their cigars and brandy while the ladies sip tea in another room!" She frowned as Gibbs expression confirmed her worst fears. For no other reason beyond the fact that she was a woman, she was being denied access to the USS Philadelphia, a submarine whose crew was in danger... a crew that needed her and Gibbs working as a team to interrogate the suspects. It wasn't fair. "I'm more qualified for this investigation than Tony!" she yelled at him, venting her growing outrage. "To replace me because I shave my legs and not my face is unconscionable and certainly not the best interest of the case!"

She had expected Gibbs to understand but tell her to, in essence, 'suck it up'. But he simply faced her, his expression intent. "I'm sorry, Cait," he said honestly, quietly. "He's an asshole with a few more strings than I have at the moment. If I thought I had time to resolve this in a few hours and run his butt up a pole I would be on the phone right now." He sighed, expressing frustration. "But there isn't time."

Gibbs' tone was uncharacteristically sympathetic. Cait realized that Jethro Gibbs has done everything in his power to get her on that submarine and had failed but by the glint in his supervisor's eyes she knew this was not a dead issue. Someone had professionally insulted one of his team. And no one got away with that. Todd straightened her shoulders and gave him a smile. "I'll get McGee and we'll check into it here," she conceded.

Gibbs returned her smile and patted her on the shoulder. "Thank you." He walked past her towards the dock where he and Tony would be set up in wet jackets and other safety gear for their journey in a Frigate to the sub. "Come on, DiNozzo."

Tony, who had hung back while she and Gibbs spoke, roused himself. Normally his expression would be teasingly gleeful as if he had won the brass ring. He got to go on a sub. But his jaw was set, his features dark. He glanced toward Gibbs' retreating back and stepped up to Cait. "I'm sorry too. Short of actually pulling his weapon, Gibbs really fought for you. He's already put a call into to the Director. So the Captain's buns will be hanging." He cocked his head. "You are the better man for this." He sighed as he caught himself. "You know what I mean. I hope I can help Gibbs half as much as you could have."

Surprised, Cait stared at him. Tony was, for once, missing any hint of bravado in his voice and expression. Deadly serious.... even a little nervous. Feeling the profiler in her emerge she studied him closely, watched as his eyes darted from her to Gibbs, his cheeks coloring slightly as Gibbs pulled on the flight suit they provided after stripping off his suit jacket. It was not the first time she had caught DiNozzo doing that... staring at Gibbs. At first she thought it was just an ass-kissing gesture... trying to anticipate. But she quickly learned Tony DiNozzo kissed no one's ass... though he gave a good impression. His trust and loyalties were handed out to only a few who managed to 'pass' the tests he forced on them in dealing with his adolescent behavior. Cait secretly felt honored that he had trusted her so quickly.

"DiNozzo... today!"

Tony swallowed, his cheeks darkened further. "Coming, boss!" He also patted her on the shoulder and gave her a wink then sprinted towards the Seahawk. Within moments he was handing over his own jacket and donning a flight vest. Whether to help or in an expression of impatience, Gibbs was suddenly in front of him, helping with the fastenings then handed him his helmet. Then they climbed aboard, Gibbs behind DiNozzo, his posture oddly protective as they settled in.

Cait smiled brightly and waved as the helo's engine came to life, feeling the glow of an epiphany wash over her as she understood something that had escaped her. Perhaps it was a good thing she had been bumped. Perhaps the two men needed a little time together... in close quarters.

With that tantalizing thought she turned from the dock and headed for Gibbs' car. This was a deadly serious case and if she couldn't be where she should be then she would be where she could be the best help to Gibbs and DiNozzo.