Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
730
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
3
Kudos:
19
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,004

Rain City

Summary:

Post 'Run Silent, Run Deep'. Help me now, or Hold me down, I feel the world is tumbling... Song belongs to Turin Brakes of the same name

Work Text:

Rain City

Opened my eyes had a dream last night that both my arms were broken,
Evening time,
Help me now or hold me down, I feel the world is tumbling,
Spiralling down,

His hands were trembling uncontrollable by this point, fine little shivers that caused them to vibrate until a shudder ran down his spine as though he was cold. Frustrated, he clenched them into tight fists and placed them in his lap ignoring the little droplets that landed on them a moment later.

He kept his head down, allowed his body to sway slightly with the jerks of the Underground train and closed his eyes, absorbing the sounds around him: Shuffling passengers, loud tracks, compressed air whistling past them outside the windows in the darkness of the tunnels.

Oh my love I can't let go,
Something's wrong I can't let go,
Natures cruel she's laughing,

He looked up then and looked across at the blackened window on the other side of the carriage, stared at his reflection as it stared solemnly back at him:

Tear stained cheeks tainting them red, flushed with exhaustion both mental and physical. Red rimmed eyes still swimming with unshed tears, a jaw that trembled every now and again as he fought the urge to simply break down and a chest that heaved with heavy sighs. Closing his eyes he leant his head back before blinking them open again to focus on the strip light in the ceiling until he began to see dots before his eyes.

As I feel my way through the century,
As I slowly turn to house dust,
Tumbling down,
The rain comes down like a victory,
In sheets of shining memory,
Over and over,
Circling around,

He flexed his fingers slightly as he forced his gaze away from the blinding light. They felt stiff and he moved them in and out of a fist to get the blood flowing to his fingertips again as he closed his eyes once more.

Tiredly he dropped his head forwards again and felt his chest constrict painfully as a very quick, very detailed image of Louie flashed across his mind's eye. He jolted, his sudden intake of breathe sounding remarkably similar to a sob and he clenched his hands into tight fists again.

Oh my love I can't let go,
Something's wrong I can't let go,
Natures cruel she's laughing,
Almost too much for my heart,

He twitched when he felt a warmth drop over his fist, another hand that held his tightly and he reached up with his free hand to wipe at his eyes, his sleeve pulled down over it to act as a tissue. He allowed his other hand to slacken until the comforting touch slowly slid their fingers inbetween his clammy ones. Once they were linked he tightened his hold again so that his lifeline remained.

When it rains,
Oh tears my soul apart,
When it rains,
Almost too much for my heart,

Beginning to feel his strength waning he slipped sideways slightly until his shoulder bumped against another. He carefully dropped his head to rest against it staring blankly ahead and he inhaled slowly, exhaling in a similar manner.

It didn't make his heart hurt any less.

His eyes fluttered closed when a hand reached up to gentle brush his hair away from his forehead. The fingertips felt cool and yet sent jolts of warmth running through him as he leant into the touch. The fingers ran softly over his cheekbone, down his chin before dropping away. So soft, as though they hadn't even been there but he could still feel the tiny prickles on his face that acknowledged he hadn't imagined the caress.

In a dream,
Oh tears my soul apart,
The rain clouds move so slowly,
Above the city,
Where I'm from

Danny blinked his eyes open again and turned his face slightly so that it still rested on the shoulder holding him up but that he could also see the owner's face. Despite how he looked, despite how he felt he still managed to offer the smallest grateful smile to the man lending him his strength.

Mac offered him one of his own in return, one side of his mouth turning up slightly as he gently squeezed Danny's hand.

Finite