Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
709
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
15
Hits:
2,295

Lunch Brake

Summary:

Permission to archive: yes
Fandom(s): original
Genre slash
Pairing/Characters: Shine/Kat
Rating: G
Summary: Just a simple lunch out
Warnings: none.
Notes: written CreativeWriting_101 Exercise #4: descriptions Not sure if I got the active voice right or not. I have to fight making my prose to purple when I start writing descriptions. They can get away from me and have to be trimmed back with a chain saw.
There is more Shine/Kat in my lj, some of it even has smut ;) .
Submitted through the CreativeWriting_101 mailing list.

Work Text:

Lunch Brake
BY Kelli/Nessa5

Kat watched Shine through a French-fry on the ground under the empty round orange picnic table beside them. A dozen little brown birds immediately started fighting over it completely ignoring the plastic owl stuck on the edge of roof that was supposed to scare the little beggars away.

Kat took a deep breath of the warm fresh air only slightly tainted by the greasy smell coming form the restaurant's kitchen. There was just the two of them eating outside with the birds. They could have eaten inside, in the air-conditioning with everybody else on their lunch brake, but Kat had been inside hip deep in computers and computer parts all morning long and he wanted to be outside for a while. He had been quite ready for a break when Shine showed up unexpectedly to have lunch with him.

This particular McDonalds had not built a playground, so it didn't have the yelling and shrieks of small children playing. But they did have traffic noise to punctuate their conversation. Screeching breaks and baselines turned up so loud they were more felt more than heard were normal for the place and time.

Since he had met Shine, Kat had a new appreciation for sunlight and fresh air. He looked around and noticed how the shadows cast by noon sun made everything seem just a little surreal with sharp crisp edges and sharp contrasting color.

The autumn sky was as blue as Kat had ever seen; it rivaled the blue of his lover's eyes. Not that he could see Shine's eyes at the moment, Shine wore dark sunglasses to hide his eyes. The odd shape of his pupils was most noticeable when bright light made them contracted to mere slits instead of dots. They looked much like a cats and the effect had both startled and fascinated Kat the first time he had seen it.

Shine laid a fry on the end of the table to see if the birds would be bold enough to come that close. Sixty seconds latter the fry way gone and a fat bird was trying to get away from the flock to eat his prize in peace, of course the others were soon after him and the fry became the center of a loud feathery squabble. Shine laughed and tossed his last few fries into the fray. Kat liked listening to Shine laugh, he didn't' do it nearly enough in Kat's opinion.

All too soon Kat lunch hour, which consisting of only thirty minutes was over and he had to go back to work. Broken computer and clueless customers awaited him, not to mention his coworker who also wanted to go to lunch.

Kat and Shine walked the half block back to "The Computer Club". They'd been together long enough they didn't need to hold hands, but anyone watching them could tell they were together. And a pretty pare they made too. Shine had white shaggy shoulder length hair and nice shoulder shown off by a black sleeveless tee-shirt. Kat was tall and slender with long straight black hair pulled in a pony tail that hung to his waist

The Computer shop Kat worked in was in one of the older parts of town that the city was trying to revitalize it into a more upscale district. Posh restaurants and antique stores and a new movie theater where slowly pushing out the pawn shops and thrift stores. Eucalyptus trees shaded brick sidewalks on both sides of the street perfuming the air with their antiseptic tang. There was parking only on one side of the street and it had meters at twenty-five cents for five minutes. Most people used the free lots off the side streets.

Kat was only ten minuets late when they got back to the store. Shine kissed him goodbye and promised to see him latter that evening. Kat went back to work with the happy expectation of what he was planning to do to Shine when they were alone that evening.

http://nessa5.livejournal.com/