Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2006-09-17
Words:
1,703
Chapters:
2/2
Kudos:
19
Hits:
1,133

Sight of Surprise

Summary:

(revised)
Fandom: CSI
Summary: Exercize #1 - It's all Peja's fault.
Disclaimer: Don't own any characters; just want to play with them for a little while then I will send them home.
Submitted through the CreativeWriting_101 mailing list.

Chapter 1: Page 1

Chapter Text

Sight of Surprise
by Susie

Nick stood next to the car hugging his Mom one last time before he headed into the airport. His flight was still almost three hours away but with all the new security he just didn't want to take a chance on missing it. Gillian turned back to the car and slid into the seat. They exchanged one last goodbye as Nick shut the door and turned heading into the airport.

Nick's head snap up, his eyes now searched for the sight that he had just had a glance of. He turned his attention to dealing with the luggage and checking in, next moved into the long lines at security check in. Then as he slowly moved his way in the line he thought he saw the sight again. Ten more steps and that flicker of a view once more, thinking he must be seeing things Nick turned his attention back to watch the security people scan the next man. Finally it's his turn and at last he is through.

Less than an hour to go, so he headed for the bar and a drink. Twice more as he sat at the bar he saw the same glance of a man, no a teenager.

Well, there's that saying about everyone has a double. And Mom did have the photo albums out. Yep, that's all this is, way too much time spent on memory lane.

A quick glance at his watch and Nick moved for his gate stopping at the restroom on his way. A smile at the lady coming out of the women's side as Nick headed in the men's.

Note to my self, don't let Mom near the album next time. It's making me see things. Of course, she sure did look like Vicky. The one girl my parents never knew about. Or the nights under the stars, oh, the nights under the stars, I would've been in so much trouble if they had ever found out.

Next is the slow process of getting everyone seated on the plane. Nick had a priority ticket and a window seat so he was one of the first on. Nick stared out the window watching the workers.

"Next time, just let us know and will let your family on with you," the airline hostess touched Nick shoulder as she added, "sir."

Nick turned and started to speak, "I'm alo..." then his mind shut down as he stared at the two people standing next to her.

The teen boy could have been his double at that age and the women was Vicky just older. She took the seat next to Nick while the boy sat next to her.

"...Vicky?" finally came out of Nick's mouth.

She took a deep breath, "Nick Stokes, I would like you to meet our son, Nicholas Stokes James."

The boy slumped back into the seat and muttered "some father." The kid radiated a negative attitude toward the whole scene.

Nick just stared, his mind lost to the past and in too much shock to think. Slowly as the time ticked by and Nick put the age, the time, the nights into place he found a few words.

"Why?" was all that made its way out.

Over the loud speaker you could hear the announcements and instructions but to Nick and Vicky they were nothing more than back ground noise. The kid had put on the headset and had tuned out the two people sitting next to him. A mother that had never even tried to find his father until now, and had only told him the truth after the trouble.

"I ran away, away from my Dad before I realized that I was pregnant. I hoped the baby was yours but didn't know if it was yours or his. I was afraid, ashamed and you came from a good family. I lucked out, one night I got picked up by the cops. They took me to a teenage runaway house. They took care of me, helped me with getting my life straighten out."

Nick leaned forward and stared at the boy as she spoke. In his mind was the group of pictures taken around the time they had shared those starry nights and he compared them to the teenager that sat before him. The kid switched between returning his stare and ignoring it, almost daring him to speak. Nick would glance back at her every few moments. In her eyes and smile he saw the girl that would lay with him under those starry nights. The girl that ran to him for love and understanding, which made him, feel valued for just being himself and not the ideal son or brother. Finally as his mind processed the realization that he had a son, Nick sat back, everything and nothing fell into place.

As they continued to talk, the kid closed them out of his world. He chose not to listen to what his mom...mother said to this man that she said, was...is his father. He moved out of the seat and disappeared into the bathroom. Leaning against the wall he just stared at his face, closed his eyes then opened them again. No matter how many times he did this, things still didn't changed He just knew that Nick was his father.

When the kid returned to his seat they didn't even look over at him, just continued to talk. This only added to the feeling he had that his mother wanted to get rid of him now. Once more the headphones went back on tuning them out.

As the fight was coming to a close Nick just had to know why they were on this flight, "So Vicky, if you live in New York, why are you on this flight?"

"I was looking for you."

"Why?"

"As you can see, I'm having a little problem with him." She nodded her head towards the son. "Thought I would see if meeting you would help," the weariness fell over her as if it was a blanket. "Maybe get some help from you. I know it's a lot to ask but I've got nowhere else to turn to."

"You have a place to stay?"

"Not yet."

In the flash of a moment his mind filled with a million thoughts. From she could be lying, to it could be a con job, to dumping a trouble kid, but all Nick saw was those nights under the stars and the pictures. All he felt was that same valued feeling.

"How about staying with me?"

"If you're sure," Nick nodded "okay."

"Good, let's go"

She looked over and realized that they had landed and their son stood waiting for her. He was blocking the isle as he waited for his parents, a mother that was dumping him and father that only just found out about him.

Nick's mind streamed Are you out of your mind? as he moved behind them.