Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
359
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
835

Eternal

Summary:

Fandom: Forever Knight
Genre: general
Pairings/Characters: LaCroix
Rating: FRT
Disclaimer: Not mine, Alas!
Summary: Drabble. LaCroix makes a rare foray into his own past.
Notes: This is not exactly canon, but I might use it in an AU one day.
Submitted through the CreativeWriting_101 mailing list.

Work Text:

Eternal
by Emerald Starburst

I cannot say why I went. When the city was rediscovered, I resolved never to return. It was the past, and there was no reason to revisit it.

Yet, I found myself walking down the streets of Pompeii to the villa where we once lived. I reached down to touch one of the stones. I picked up a loose one and stared at it. They once walked on these very stones. Inhaling deeply, I found that I could detect the scent of olive trees and grape vines. Well, some things never change, especially in the land that built the Eternal City. I continued my journey and found it. Our villa. The place Celine loved more than than any other. This is where we married. Where our daughter was born. Where they died.

I close my eyes and I am there again. The air choked with dust and poison gases. Though it was the middle of the day, no light was evident. I found my way more by feel than by sight. I snorted with irritation as I remember the countless delays. The horse that bolted within five miles of the city, when it tasted the fear in the air. Floods of people running in the opposite direction I needed to go, burdened with objects they should have dropped in order to flee Vesuvius' anger.

In spite of all, I found the villa. They were there, waiting for me. Celine tried to shield Divia as best she could. It was not enough. Their bodies were still and stiff to my touch.

I opened my eyes and turned around to walk away. The villa was still within sight, but I could not look at it without the sense of failure. Of complete and utter loss.

I shook my head. Then I felt something gritty in my hand and looked down. The stone had turned to powder in my grasp. I opened my hand and let it go feeling myself let go of Celine and Divia as I did.

'I am Lucian LaCroix,' I told myself. 'I am eternal. Celine. Divia. Sileo in pacis.'