Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2006-10-19
Words:
1,694
Chapters:
3/3
Comments:
30
Kudos:
22
Bookmarks:
4
Hits:
4,341

Ghosts

Summary:

Fandom:NCIS
Pairing: Gibbs/Dinozzo, Gibbs/Shannon
Portrayed by Mark Harmon/Michael Weatherly
Rating: FRT
Summary: Tony confronts some ghosts
Written for the first exercise of Creative Writers 101 Hope you like it

Chapter 1: complete

Chapter Text

Ghosts
by PEJA

The warmth of the midday sun, strong as it was, was not enough to banish the chill enveloping him as he came to a stop before the polished granite, gray headstone. Sighing heavily he laid a hand on the rough, pebble top of the stone, such a contrast to the gleaming face.

"You win, Shannon," he murmured, leaning down to arrange the blue-black and white roses in the provided vase. "You win."

Another shuddering sigh parted his lips. He lifted his glistening gaze to stare without seeing into the distance. "Course I never really had a chance with him, did I?" His trembling fingers traced the engraved 'Beloved wife and mother' phrase. "Beloved wife." Tony nodded. "It's true, you know, Shannon. He loved you. Loves you."

A diamond-bright tear slipped down his pale cheek and he scrubbed it away. "Don't know why I didn't see it. I really should have realized. All those failed marriages." The laugh that tore from him was bitter as lemon juice straight up. "Course those women left him. They couldn't compete with you any more than I could, could they? Hell, he never even told anyone that you ever existed. No, not you. You and Kelly. He held the both of you in his heart like some prized creatures. There was no way we could win his heart when it was already taken."

Moving like an old man, Tony rose slowly and smiled sadly. "He's gone now. Retired." Tony grimaced. "He doesn't even remember how it was with us. But I do. I remember it all. Way too much. The sweetness of his kiss. The safe protection of his arms. I can still hear his heart beating beneath my ear when I'm lying awake all night long, missing him."

His chuckle was self-condemning. "Just wanted to let you know there are no hard feelings. Not your fault he couldn't love me the way he loves you. I"ve always been a bit of a fuck up. Maybe that's why he made me team leader before he left. A final parting gift. One I can use to help me put him behind me. I'll do him proud getting it done, though. That much I can do. Putting myself at the point." He shrugged, turning to walk back down the path. "I have nothing left to lose."