Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
193
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
5
Kudos:
13
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,451

Breathe

Summary:

Website: No
Permission to archive: Yes
Fandom: NCIS
Genre: Gen
Pairing: Implied Gibbs/DiNozzo
Rating: FRT
Summary: Just trying to stay afloat.
Notes: For Peja's Creative Writing 101- 1st assignment. This is *the* shortest piece I've ever written. (Hell, this is a blast but there no way I'm *ever* going to be able to send feedback to everyone!)
Submitted through the CreativeWriting_101 mailing list.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Breathe
by Matt

Inhale.

Stroke, stroke, stroke stroke...

And inhale...filling the lungs to capacity. Slowly, methodically, controlled.

Stroke, stroke, stroke, stroke...

Inhale and keep the body moving resolutely forward, always forward, unceasingly, strong arms and muscled legs syncronized and attuned.

Stroke, stroke, stroke, stroke...

Empty the mind, concentrate on the concise, repetative action, the movement, the simplicity of driving the body forward, toward no real destination but...

Inhale and breathe, stay alive, keep going through the motions, pretend it all makes sense. Tune everything out but the feel of the water gliding over skin, the fine hairs displaced by chlorinated liquid, and the terrible, terrible ache housed deep within the chest.

Stroke...stroke...

And breathe...to stay alive, to live another day, and to see this one end. Go through the motions, pretend it means something, and never let them see you falter. Never let them see...

Stroke...

Never let them see the hurt, the disillusionment, and the weariness. Keep up the facade, stay afloat, don't let the constant tug of emotions pull you under because...beneath the surface is death.

Touch the wall. Turn. Begin again and...

Breathe...

Breathe...

Breathe...

end

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Matt51.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.