Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2006-11-01
Words:
59,365
Chapters:
17/17
Comments:
14
Kudos:
50
Hits:
8,510

Do The Right Thing

Summary:

What lengths will a man Jesse helped send to prison go to for revenge?

Chapter 1: one

Chapter Text

Disclaimer: I don't own the Dukes of Hazzard, not making any money, just cheap thrills

 

Warnings: Angst, Violence, Out Of Character

 

Rating: FRT

 

Italics and/or * indicates thoughts

 

Summary: What lengths will a man Jesse helped send to prison go to for revenge?

 

Do The Right Thing
Chapter 1

 

The sounds of laughter and splashing echoed in the trees surrounding the old swimming hole. Bo and Luke Duke had been working all morning and half the afternoon in the summer heat. Finally, though, they had finished making the fence repairs. Deciding that after working so hard, they deserved a treat the two boys had headed for their favorite swimming hole.

 

When they had stripped their clothes and dove into the water, it had felt so good against their hot skin that they swore they would never get out. Now though, after an hour of splashing around in the cool water, Luke was getting thirsty. "Hey Bo, why don't you go get us each a beer out of the General?"

 

"Me? I don't want a beer Luke, guess you'll have to get your own," Bo replied with a playful smirk.

 

"Sure you don't," Luke muttered under his breath as he headed for shore. No sooner had his feet hit the bank when he heard Bo calling to him. *Oh sure Bo, you don't want a beer, at least not if you have to get it.* Turning back towards the water, Luke felt a sting in his upper back. As he reached towards the painful spot, the edges of his vision began to blur and darken. The last thing he was aware of as he fell towards the ground was the sound of his cousin screaming his name.

 

"LUKE!" Bo screamed his cousin's name as he suddenly collapsed to the ground. Swimming as quickly as he could towards the shore, Bo couldn't stop the thoughts that were racing through his mind. *Oh God please don't let him be dead. Snake? Did somebody shoot him? Scorpion? What happened?* Bo tried to calm the panic he could feel as he considered what could've made Luke collapse. Getting out of the water, Bo hurried towards his cousin, praying that he would be alright. As he moved closer, he saw something sticking out of Luke's back.

 

"Hold it right there boy," an older man snarled, stepping from the trees and pointing a revolver at Luke's unconscious body.

 

Bo froze in his tracks, wanting desperately to tackle the man, he didn't dare to though with a gun trained on his cousin. The man was only ten feet from where Luke lay in the dirt, and Bo knew at that distance he wasn't likely to miss. Swallowing hard, Bo tried to get a better look at the man, but he was still standing in the shadows of the trees. All Bo could make out was a bearded face and a gnarled hand that pointed a deadly weapon at Luke. "Look mister, um I don't know who ya think we are, but ya got the wrong guys."

 

"No, I've got exactly who I want...Bo Duke," the man told him, surprising Bo.

 

"Well if you know who I am, then ya know we ain't none of us Dukes got any money."

 

"Ain't after your money boy."

 

"Did I do something to make you mad? Look mister if I did, why don't you just leave Luke out of it, okay?"

 

"Aw, isn't that sweet. You're worried about your kin, old Jesse raised you right didn't he? Taught you all about right and wrong? Told you to be proud of being a Duke too, didn't he?" The older man asked, his voice growing louder and rougher with each question.

 

"You dang right he did," Bo snapped at the other man, feeling as though his uncle had just been insulted, though he didn't know how.

 

"Don't take that tone with me boy," the old man growled, firing a shot into the dirt near Luke's head.

 

"No!" Bo yelled, terrified that his temper might get Luke killed.

 

"Think you owe me an apology boy, for being disrespectful."

 

Swallowing his pride, Bo apologized. "I'm sorry sir, I didn't mean to be disrespectful."

 

"Well now, that's right nice. Now I'll tell ya Bo, ain't you I'm mad at. No sir, it's your uncle that did me wrong, him and your daddy. It's time for them to pay though, don't nobody cross Delbert Penny and get away with it."

 

"If you're mad at Uncle Jesse and my dad, what do ya want with me?" Bo asked, even though he had a suspicion.

 

"Don't play dumb with me Bo. I've been watching y'all for months now and I know you're smarter than you want folks to believe. I was hoping to do this when you was alone, but hell boy you don't ever go anywhere alone, and I got tired of waiting. Now, what I want with you is your help getting my revenge. Oh I know you ain't gonna help me voluntarily, that's okay you don't have to want to. You just have to do what I say, or you'll be minus a cousin, understand me?" Delbert asked, motioning at Luke with his revolver.

 

"Yes sir, I understand," Bo reluctantly answered, knowing he had no choice in the matter.

 

"Alright then, you're gonna be coming with me, Luke can stay here. Alive if you cooperate, dead if you don't."

 

"Okay, okay, I'll come with you, just don't hurt him," Bo told him, moving towards his clothes as he spoke.

 

"Where ya think you're going boy?"

 

"Just gonna put my clothes on...sir."

 

"Nah, you ain't gonna need clothes anyway," Delbert told him as an idea came to him. "You just get down on your knees, right there's fine. Good boy, now you lean forward until your head touches the ground and put your hands behind you." Watching Bo, Delbert waited until the boy was in the position he wanted him in. Knowing that it would be extremely difficult for Bo to attack him from that position, Delbert walked over to him and pulled a pair of handcuffs from his back pocket. After slapping the cuffs on Bo's wrists, he shoved the gun into the waistband of his jeans and pulled the younger man to his feet. Pulling a piece of black cloth from his pocket, Delbert shook it out, revealing a black hood.

 

When Delbert pulled him to his feet, Bo bit back the cry of pain from the strain on his shoulders. Turning towards the man who had shot Luke with what he now saw was a tranquilizer dart, Bo got a quick glimpse of his captor. Gray hair, beard and cold green eyes were all he saw before his head was covered by the black hood and he couldn't see anything. Stumbling several times as Delbert pulled him along, Bo tried to keep his feet under him, nearly falling when they came to a sudden stop. Hearing a small click and the sound of creaking hinges, Bo realized Delbert was opening a car trunk. Feeling himself being turned around, Bo fell backwards when the other man suddenly shoved him in the chest. Before he had a chance to fight back, Delbert lifted Bo's legs into the trunk and slammed the lid shut.

 

Walking back over to where Luke lay on the ground, Delbert began to walk over the top of all the tracks he saw. With any luck, they wouldn't be able to tell Bo had ever gotten out of the water and would waste prescious time dragging the lake. Time that would allow Delbert to get to his hideout and prepare for his second guest. Finally satisfied, Delbert went back to his car. Chuckling with glee as he thought of the pain he was about to cause Jesse, he drove away. His only regret was that he wouldn't be here to see Jesse Duke's face when he realized Bo might be dead.

 

Moaning softly, Luke gradually woke up. "What hit me?" He wondered as he rubbed at the back of his neck. Remembering a sting, Luke reached towards his back, stopping when his fingers came into contact with a hard object. Feeling with his fingers, Luke realized it was some type of arrow. Pulling it out, he brought it around and saw that it was a tranqulizer dart. Looking around, Luke tried to rid himself of the fuzzy feeling in his head so he could figure out what he was missing. "Bo!" Luke cried out as he spotted the pile of clothes, but no sign of his cousin. Stumbling towards the pile of clothes, Luke grabbed his jeans and pulled them on, noticing that Bo's clothes were still here. Grabbing the cb mic, he called for help, "Breaker, breaker, Lost Sheep calling Shepherd. You got your ears on Shepherd, come back."

 

"You got the Shepherd. What ya need Luke?"

 

"Uncle Jesse, I need ya to come up here to the swimming hole...oh God," Luke whispered as a horrible thought crossed his mind. "Uncle Jesse, bring help and hurry please," he told him, throwing down the mic and stumbling towards the water.

 

"Luke, Luke! What's wrong?" Jesse called, worried by the fear he'd heard in Luke's voice. Yelling for Daisy, Jesse headed outside to the truck, pulling out as soon as Daisy climbed in the cab. Calling Cooter on the cb as he drove, Jesse told the mechanic to meet them and to be ready for trouble.

 

Moving towards the water, Luke prayed that Bo hadn't been hit with a dart too. *God please don't let Bo have been hit while he was in the water. Please, let him be okay.* Luke prayed, terrified at the thought that Bo might be at the bottom of the lake. "Bo! Bo!" Luke desperately called, hoping that Bo was lying unconscious and just hidden from sight. He wanted nothing more than to dive into the water and begin searching, but he knew that in the condition he was in, he'd only get himself killed. All he could do was keep searching the shore area and pray while he waited for Jesse and the others. Several minutes later, Luke turned away from the water at the sound of a motor. Sighing in relief, he moved as quickly as he could towards Jesse's pick-up. Luke took a steadying breath, preparing himself to tell Jesse and Daisy his suspicions.

 

"Luke," Jesse called as he stepped out of the truck and headed towards his nephew, breaking into a run when Luke stumbled to his knees. "What's wrong boy?" Jesse asked, coming up to the younger man and laying his hand on Luke's back.

 

"Uncle Jesse...I can't find Bo. I think he may be in there," Luke reluctantly told his uncle, pointing towards the water.

 

Daisy gasped, turning pale at Luke's words as she looked out at the water in fear for her youngest cousin.

 

"Luke, how long's he been in there?" Jesse asked his nephew.

 

"Too long," Luke answered quietly, looking up at his uncle, his blue eyes shimmering with tears.

 

"What happened?"

 

"I ain't sure Uncle Jesse. I got out to get us some beers and I felt a sting. Next thing I know, I'm waking up with a tranquilizer dart in my back and Bo nowhere to be seen. Uncle Jesse...his clothes are still here. What if he got hit with a dart too? If he was still in the water..." Luke trailed off, not able to go on.

 

"He wouldn't have had a chance," Jesse finished the sentence for him, swallowing hard at the thought. "Well maybe he's somewhere around..."

 

"Uncle Jesse I looked, I ain't been able to find him. I called for him too, and he ain't answering. Whoever shot me, came down by where I was at, he walked around some too. There's so many tracks from him, and tracks from when me and Bo first got here that I can't tell if Bo ever got out of the water."

 

"Daisy you stay here with Luke, and call Rosco. Don't argue with me boy, you look like you're barely awake. Me and Cooter will look around some more, see if we can find any sign of Bo," Jesse told them. "Cooter, you head over that way," he told the younger man, pointing to the left. "I'll look over to this side, holler if you find anything."

 

"Yes sir, Uncle Jesse," Cooter replied without his usual good humor. Moving off, he began to search for his friend, praying that he would find him sleeping off whatever was in the dart. "Please God, don't let him have drowned. Please don't take him from us," he prayed quietly as he searched.

 

By the time Rosco arrived twenty minutes later, Jesse was forced to admit that there was no sign of Bo having ever left the water. Praying to God that he was wrong, Jesse walked back over to his other youngins, "Rosco, um we need ya to have the lake dragged. We think...Bo may have drowned," Jesse spoke the words, barely getting them past the lump in his throat.

 

"No, oh no," Daisy cried out. She had refused to believe that her cousin might be gone, and to hear Uncle Jesse speak the words felt like a knife through her heart.

 

"Are you sure Jesse?" Rosco asked, thinking that even though he had chased the boys all the time, he'd never wanted to see one of them hurt.

 

"No we're not sure Rosco. Somebody shot Luke with a tranqulizer dart and when he woke up, there was no sign of Bo. Now we've looked all over here, and the boy's clothes are still here. We're afraid that the same person may have gotten Bo too, only while he was still in the water." Jesse turned away from Rosco as he spoke, barely holding himself together for his other kids. "Rosco please, if he's in there, find my boy," Jesse begged the sheriff, the tears finally beginning to fall from his eyes.

 

"I'll get some divers up here and get started right away. Jesse, if Bo's in there, I'll find him for ya, I promise," Rosco told him, laying a supportive hand on the older man's shoulder. Moving away from the grieving man, Rosco went to his patrol car and radioed for help. Standing next to the car, he looked towards the Duke family. Watching them as they comforted each other in their grief, Rosco prayed that somewhere, somehow, Bo Duke was still alive.

 

TBC

 

Well there's the first chapter y'all. The muse needs food, please review.