Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
463
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
946

Hank's day

Summary:

Rating:G
Pairing: N/A
Archive: Yes
Fandom: Emergency!
Summary:A certain Captain demands to be the center of attention in this story.
Content Warning: . Harsh Language.
Copyright: September 2006 by Robin R. Neher
THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT. THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.
Submitted through the Makebelieve_Squidge mailing list.

Work Text:

Hank's day
By Robin R. Neher

It begins. First, the change from civilian clothes into uniform, then a quick cup of coffee. Then it's to my office to catch up on paperwork before the rest of my crew gets here. My office is my favorite place to be at fire station 51 because it allows me a much needed measure of peace or just a place to be alone and away from the men.

My men are a good bunch of guys, don't get me wrong. It's just that like most human beings, they can do things that would drive me insane if not for my office.

Anyway, I hear some of the men talking sometimes and I hear them say they think being a Captain is easy. I hear them say that being in this job is just giving orders, but it is far more.

A Captain wears several hats. First and foremost, he is a leader. He is the one in charge of and responsible for the crew he commands. He is the one a crew looks to for guidance, be it on a response or at the station. He is the example for the crew to follow and the one who takes the heat if a crewmember messes up.

He is a father at times and a referee at others. Those bugles on his shirt are the thing that separates him from other firemen on the line. He is no longer "One of the guys" and has to distance himself somewhat from them, for he is a manager.

He gives orders, that's true, but he also is the one to come down hard if a man is late for roll call or if he screws up. He is also the one to deal with families if a man under his command is killed as well as his own crew. He is the one they look to for answers that nobody else can give.

My job, like any other Captain's is tougher than it looks and is not for everyone. To be a Captain, one must have the ability to lead and to establish trust from his crew in him. He must have very limited friendships with his men and must be the one with the cool head in emotionally charged situations. He is the voice of sanity at a given station and is most likely the most experienced man on his shift.

"Cap?" Johnny Gage called.

I look up to see the young man in my doorway.

"We're ready for roll call." He says.

"Be right out." I tell him.

Ah, the joys of being Captain Hank Stanley.

THE END